As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PaxNorth

PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in Social Entropy++
Update: We have a poll!

http://doodle.com/riupdagwhm3auyxy

Cheers!

Hi!

@Cello came up with an idea that I really liked for having something like the Flopax and UKpax meetups in Canada. Get together, drink some obscene amounts of alcohol and chow down on poutine and hang out with generally rad people for a weekend.

But, like everything to do with Canada, there's the issue that this is one big-ass country, and we're not sure how spread out forumers are, and how many people would be interested in coming.

At first we'd be looking at meeting in the general area of the southern border between Quebec and Ontario (Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto), mainly because that's the area where Cello and I both live. Also would be reasonably close for north-eastern Americans who would also be free to come :)

Eventually if we got enough interest we could see for one year to have the meetup in someplace in the west like Vancouver or the prairies too!

So the basic question we'd be asking is if people in the general area (or outside, if you're that into it) would be interested in such a meetup, and we haven't really discussed times when it would happen. I'm guessing if we're having it in the eastern side of the continent, then having it in the fall would be best, to separate it from PaxEast by a few months.

Let us know what you think!

Psykoma on

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Well there are a bunch of us in Vancouver who get together regularly, and I wouldn't mind an excuse to see more of the country! Put me down as a solid maybe

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I'm about an hour outside of toronto, so a toronto meet up would be perfectly with in my ability. but i'm broke as hell so other parts of canada are a bit outside of my means at the moment.

• Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    My vote is for B.C.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yes! I am also currently pretty broke, so Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal are my best options at the moment. BC is faaaaar. I'd love to do a future meetup there, though!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I could do Toronto fairly easily, I've got family there I could stay with. Anywhere else would be tricky, unless you all wanted to come see beautiful Nova Scotia.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I feel like having canada pax be a two hour drive from where vanilla pax is held would kinda defeat the purpose.

On the other hand that's basically where half of SE++ lives anyway.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You should probably all meet in the middle.

In beautiful Saskatoon.

The Paris of the Prairies in the Land of Living Skies.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    If it were in Montreal I'd have some space for one or two people if they didn't mind a futon/the floor

Alternatively we could see about renting a cabin for a weekend somewhere

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    If people come to Montreal, I'll be there. Anywhere else would be hard for me.

sig.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    A few years ago (Before PAX Aus was a thing) we did an AusPax.

It took a year to plan, book and pay for, but it was amazing. We rented a big beach house in Byron Bay on the east coast and it was a 4 or 5 day wonderful party spree. People came from all over (Wimble came from Sweden and Mysst came from Texas even) so if you plan out far enough and put together something good and solid, it's usually enough of an incentive to make the trip.

Yeah actually you know what, with enough advance planning and everything, my traveling capabilities are probably higher than I give myself credit for. I can probably make it to Toronto or thereabouts.

sig.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Toronto is my hometown, so meeting here or around here should be cool.

I would be onboard for Montreal or Toronto, again with enough advance planning.

It's a long, expensive flight for never leaving the country!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I haven't been to Canada in 8 years.

I'd like to visit it again.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Toronto repreSENT.

Honestly, though we just had FanExpo here, I feel like its nowhere close to the level of awesome the PAX events have. Probably because I feel like FanExpo spreads itself way too thin between Gaming, Comics, Sci-Fi, Horror and Anime. Theres too *little* to see because they have to make room for everything else, so we never get anything unique in the gamer scene or panels which is primarily all I'm interested in.

Also, the price of the passes is borderline extortion. Put a convention on that focuses on one or two things and charge a little less while being able to curry more developers and industry guests.

Anyway sorry for that tangent. Just needed to get that off my chest. Obviously a PaxNorth wouldn't mean setting up a whole convention (though that'd be sweet as I explained above why) and I'd be down to meet up here, Ottawa or Montreal.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    TexPax took so long to organize that we got an actual PAX in its place

ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited September 2014
    I'm betting having a meetup during wintertimes may be counterindicated as well, so we'd be looking at next spring-fall as the general time range to look at.

Would people prefer a urban or suburban meetup? Renting a cabin in a less downtowny, more urbany (maybe waterfront?) area, or meeting up in a downtown core surrounded by bars?

I feel renting a cabin, packing it with drinks, food, and game things, maybe an hour away from a bar-having-place would be ideal?

Psykoma on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I'm like a hour out of Toronto

but I'm always looking for excuses to go to Montreal

icGJy2C.png
    If I was gonna visit Toronto, I think I'd rather be in Toronto-Toronto than off in the Ontarian wilderness somewhere, because I've never been to Toronto and everything. Obviously if it's Montreal I could go either way considering I'm pretty well used to this city. If I can get there by metro though hey that just makes everything super easy to me.

sig.gif
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I'm betting having a meetup during wintertimes may be counterindicated as well, so we'd be looking at next spring-fall as the general time range to look at.

Would people prefer a urban or suburban meetup? Renting a cabin in a less downtowny, more urbany (maybe waterfront?) area, or meeting up in a downtown core surrounded by bars?

I feel renting a cabin, packing it with drinks, food, and game things, maybe an hour away from a bar-having-place would be ideal?

A cabin some distance away sounds real nice.

Getting drunk, playing board games, hiking, camping, ect...

Stuff to make this really its own signature event.

edited September 2014
    Somewhere with mooses, we gotta have poutine, maple syrup, some hockey on, Tim Hortons donuts...

raise enough hell to get the RCMP to come break up the party

let's hit all the stereotypes.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    SimBen wrote: »
    Somewhere with mooses, we gotta have poutine, maple syrup, some hockey on, Tim Hortons donuts...

raise enough hell to get the RCMP to come break up the party

let's hit all the stereotypes.

Yep.

This is what I want.

I would think getting a little out of town would be the best idea.
    You can get a big place where everyone can stay together and make some fun, but people from far away can do some day trips together into the city.

If we do meet in toronto, we're all going to be doing the CN tower walk

"Canadian cult calling it's self Packs reportedly all died in the CN Tower today."

Melding wrote: »

"Canadian cult calling it's self Packs reportedly all died in the CN Tower today."

"They reportedly undid their safety gear after being assured by the one known as "mage" that he had cast levitation on them.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES AND I WOULD WALK 500 MORE

Okay I know what the CN tower is but what's the walk.

sig.gif
    T4CT wrote: »

Mike Blais god damn you you're coming to this if anyone is.

sig.gif

movie_ph.jpg

FUCK THAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkK35y8MAA

It looks like so much fun though!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm totally down for a backwoods retreat, but also go to Toronto once or twice a year to visit family if folks want to do a less formal meet up at some point as well.

movie_ph.jpg

oh i thought you meant the walk up all the fucking stairs thing.

movie_ph.jpg

NOPE

sig.gif
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I'm totally down for a backwoods retreat, but also go to Toronto once or twice a year to visit family if folks want to do a less formal meet up at some point as well.

this is the beginning of every fucking horror movie why would we want to do this

sorry I thought this thread as PaxNorth not PaxEveryoneDies

Mike Blais god damn you you're coming to this if anyone is.

i'm gonna walk in and everyone's gonna be like "hey who ordered the SHRIMP"

that joke's funny 'cause i'm allergic to shellfish

Fearghaill wrote: »

this is the beginning of every fucking horror movie why would we want to do this

because we're not a bunch of college aged kids who are going to get drunk and unprotected sex.

Most of us are adults, who will get drunk and then probably be too shy to have drunken unprotected sex.

We're gonna be all "IT'S MIKE "MIKE "T4CT" BLAIS" BLAIS"!

sig.gif