As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Business Points: Fear of a Feminine Market

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2014 in Games and Technology
READ THE RULES OR NOBODY WILL FIND YOUR CORPSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkz8BLBJ9_I

We're gonna try a thing here where I do a thread on a topic and we discuss it for a bit. Then the thread gets closed at some indeterminate point and we move onto to another big headline. Maybe the thread will last to page 100, and maybe I'll close it after a week regardless of how far it gets. Naturally, consistently bad behavior will get it closed significantly faster, but I know you all won't do that, right? So this is the thing we're doing, and I'm calling it Business Points because I enjoy cute titles for things.

Okay, so for the past few weeks there has been a thing regarding the sacred institution that is Gaming Journalism and a indie developer by the name of Zoe Quinn (best know for the game Depression Quest). Basically, an ex-boyfriend of hers just dump a whole mountain of private conversations on social media, images, texts, and probably her D&D characters. It was a massive doxxing, the point of which was to level an accusation of a severe conflict of interest on the part of Quinn. Namely that she was in a relationship with a reviewer (or reviewers because who the fuck knows at this point). Journalism in video games has not been looked up fairly since basically ever, and this has led to outcry over corruption in the industry. Naturally, there has been resistance to this movement, with a large number of people trying to cover up the story and change the subject to something else.

...and if you believe that, I have a big pile of bitcoins to sell you.

What's really happening is a massive heaping of abuse, laser-focused on one woman because some very bad people feel they got the right dirt on her. A metaphorical flood of misogyny that has been building up over the years just waiting for rush out. Besides the lack of evidence that the person she was seeing even reviewed her game, Depression Quest (and all of Quinn's games) are sold for the wallet-breaking price of zero dollars. So even assuming Quinn did manage to woo some dude into giving her stellar reviews, it all amounts to more people grabbing her free games. Taking a jump into her money bin is not to be as fun as Uncle Scrooge's. Not to mention all of the other rampant corruption in the industry that goes ignored on a regular basis. If this is what sets you off, then I have some bad news for you about the reality of the journalism industry.

Besides Quinn getting the whole internet yelling at her and sending pictures of her to random internet people (yes, this is a thing that happened), people defending her have also been harassed. The infamous Phil Fish was voraciously defending Quinn on Twitter and ending up getting hacked and doxxed. This doxxing upped the ante, which apparently included really personal information like his bank account information for him and his company. Fish completely jumped off the internet and even deleted his Twitter for a duration until it was safe to pop back out. Others devs such as CliffyB have also been leaping to Quinn's defense but, more importantly, other women have been slowly reconsidering staying in the business, some directly because of harassment they have received because of this incident, and several have openly stated that they are leaving over this mess. In an industry that is already having issues with attracting women, this is not a good thing...to put it mildly.

This snowballed further when Anita Sarkeesian released the latest in her Tropes vs. Women videos during roughly the same period, and people decided to dogpile on her. This is included a death threat that forced her to leave her home, and generally riled up the internet some more. Devs like Tim Schafer got criticized because he suggested people check out her videos. Tim Schafer couldn't avoid taking heat for stuff as benign as this, so you know things are getting kind of ridiculous. Throughout PAX shit got even weirder with the arrival of the #gamergate hashtag and a torrent of stuff that a person couldn't distinguish between sincere or trolling (although fortunately nobody did anything at PAX itself). One of the most recent happenings is Jenn Frank is leaving the scene after shit about this made it on Al Jazeera of all places.

Oh, and at some point women overtook men as the largest demographic in the industry. Something to consider.

So that's the situation. There's probably stuff I'm forgetting, as it seems like every week something new is going on, and I'll add any major happenings to this post as they occur. This is not good, and it's not a healthy place for the industry to be in, especially when there are so many more important things going even in just the industry like working conditions, the ballooning demands of AAA titles to sell, and well the whole industry being hostile to women. It also shows that we're just not there from a maturity aspect if we this is our response to criticism of video games from an artistic perspective. It is is a desperate wish of many people that games be taken seriously as an artform, but there is a massive backlash the second you touch on any topic that isn't cold and mechanical like controls; framerate;or fluffy, extremely subjective things like "fun." It's a place where speaking out gets you drowned in a heap of rather hideous abuse. Then you have the normal issues (lack of female representation in games vs. males, the oversexualization, and so forth) and it just paints a picture of a industry that is not only hostile to women, but also to anyone that even tries to raise the subject much less share their opinion about it. This is not a good long-term situation, and steps need to be made to rectify it so some kind of parity can be achieved in both the industry and the games we play.

But hey, what are your thoughts on this? Inquiring minds want to know*!
*Might not be true.

vFhtfvV.jpg?2
Here are the rules. If you don't follow them...well, I heard Tube is looking to refurbish his skull throne.
  • No namecalling except "silly goose" and ONLY THAT. You cannot call someone a "stupid goose" or a "silly duck" or even a "wacky waterfowl." This includes accusing people of trolling. Yeah, this is already a rule, but it bears repeating.
  • No ad hominem attacks. Namecalling is not ad hominem. It is disregarding someone's argument because of a personal attribute they have, be it real or perceived. Let me give two examples.
    "You all need to stop listening to Mario saying the glass is half-full. He's a stupid plumber so you can't trust what he says."
    "Yeah, Luigi says the glass is half-empty, but are you going to believe a silly goose like that?"

THE FOLLOWING NOT AN AD HOMINEM
    "Waluigi says the glass is only a quarter empty, but I took some measurements and the glass is 12 inches tall and the empty portion is six inches, not three. Waluigi is kind of silly goose for saying that."
  • "My wife/girlfriend/sister/mom/aunt/body pillow says X is Y." is practically an empty post. Don't do it.
  • Your post needs substance. A YouTube video and little else is not substance. This includes image macros and witty gifs! If you need a video or image as a supporting part of a greater post in which you post some valuable insight or share a lengthy opinion, then I will let it slide. If we're going to chat via video clips and gifs then we might as well move to Tumblr or 4chan. This includes posting tweets unless some major event happened and that's the easiest way to share the news.
  • Chances are that you are not a moderator, so don't try to police the thread. If someone is obviously breaking a rule, the don't engage. Report their ass and move on, as chances are their goal is to get a rise out of your and drag the thread into a multi-page slap fight. Reporting the post and not acknowledging the person will avoid so many conflicts and deny shitty trolls their precious giggles.
  • Addendum to the last point: disagreement is not a reportable offense, and people that abuse their report button can have it taken away.
  • Feminism is a massive topic outside the scope of G&T. Let's keep it narrowed to the video game industry, because frankly that's big enough to keep us occupied for years. If you wish to discuss further than that, then check out D&D.
  • @ceres is helping out with this so, for the purposes of this thread, just treat her as any other G&T mod.
  • There is not going to be a lot of slack with this thread, and there won't be any hesitation to throw out some serious infractions and/or boot people from the thread.
  • Not everyone has an encyclopedic knowledge of this stuff, so take things slow and don't make with the whole faux-incredulous "Oh my god they're doing [X]!" shtick. Basically assume people are arguing in good faith.

Also, don't call it gamergate. It makes Nixon mad.

n6QDJBg.png?1

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So, a few hours ago, Zoe Quinn mentioned that something really, really bad just happened. Recently, it was followed up by this tweet:

Which I'm guessing means this stuff has gone beyond threats or info leaks on the internet.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    There is so much that I need to read.

I just wanna say that what see here is the clash of progressive politics against an anti-PC crowd represented heavily by 4chan. The audience is changing, so there is a big fear and resentment from all sides.

There is an inability from the media to create bridges in the culture war. Do they feel like they need to?

BTW, the gaming press is against hatespeach. Who defines what hatespeach consists of?

That's all I can say right now.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    So, a few hours ago, Zoe Quinn mentioned that something really, really bad just happened. Recently, it was followed up by this tweet:

twitter.com/TheQuinnspiracy/status/507777911173050369

Which I'm guessing means this stuff has gone beyond threats or info leaks on the internet.

Jesus.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Oh, and at some point women overtook men as the largest demographic in the industry. Something to consider.

That's interesting. Where did they get the data as far as player demographics are concerned?
    What's really happening is a massive heaping of abuse, laser-focused on one woman because some very bad people feel they got the right dirt on her. A metaphorical flood of misogyny that has been building up over the years just waiting for rush out. Besides the lack of evidence that the person she was seeing even reviewed her game, Depression Quest (and all of Quinn's games) are sold for the wallet-breaking price of zero dollars. So even assuming Quinn did manage to woo some dude into giving her stellar reviews, it all amounts to more people grabbing her free games. Taking a jump into her money bin is not to be as fun as Uncle Scrooge's. Not to mention all of the other rampant corruption in the industry that goes ignored on a regular basis. If this is what sets you off, then I have some bad news for you about the reality of the journalism industry.

>.<

...I have to ask, is anyone really even surprised anymore? It was only a few weeks ago that Hafu - a really excellent Twitch TV broadcaster who mostly does competitive Hearthstone videos - had private, intimate photographs of her leaked out, the aftermath of which has been that she's had to heavily restrict her chat feature & you now cannot go anywhere on Twitch (anywhere without submode chat, anyway) without being reminded of 'Hafu nudes lolz' because the reprehensible fucking invasion of privacy has become a gamer meme.

I'm starting to become half convinced that the games industry is actually secretly controlled by the guys who wrote FATAL & maybe Zak Smith.

The issues surrounding sexism, misogyny & otherwise totally inappropriate representation of / interaction with women in gaming seem more & more to me like a ship that just cannot be righted. Like it only can exist in an upside-down state, much like how the universe can only exist in an expanding state, except with a lot more gratuitous butt-or-boob-centric camera angles. What to try and speak up? Enjoy being DDoS'd and harassed by the gamer lynch mob. What to try and push change forward by developing your own more progressive content? Enjoy being labelled a 'walking simulator' and slowly being pushed out of the major conventions. Want to run your own convention? Enjoy the 200~ member gathering & condescending appraisal from the rest of the industry.

There's a lot said about how the industry needs to 'grow up' and 'get serious'. The thing is, I think it did grow-up; it just grew-up to become a hateful community of egotistical attention-seekers, who have gotten very serious about thinking & expressing that they represent a new pinnacle of human culture (though, in fairness, that latter part is perhaps more due to the libertarian sympathies of Silicon Valley & the general tech sector than strictly gaming).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I just, holy crap the internet hate machine is out in full force now that they have a target. You may be right about the industry growing up to be this petulant brat. I guess all that can be done is to try to fight as long as possible.

Just, why now, and why this woman? Is this sorta to the recent leak of celeb pictures?

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I was talking with my girlfriend about this when the Zoe Quinn event happened, and we got into an argument about people not standing up to the trolls and defending Zoe, and other female developers. After watching a recent Giant Bomb video where Patrick addresses that some people high up in the industry have the permission of their company to post and say what they want, but they don't out of fear of their wives or even children becoming targets of this harassment. If I was in the video games business I'm not sure if I could be vocal on how much this shit gets on my nerves.

Seeing how family and loved ones get attacked once you put your name out there, or in Phil Fish's case all of his private information, it seems like too much of a risk that I don't think I could take.
    I want there to be another way where people can be vocal and support these individuals, but seeing what happens when they do is depressing.

I just want to say that I genuinely admire everyone that gets hatemail day-by-day and is able to keep trucking along, and that my heart goes out to those that choose to go elsewhere (and I hope that it works out for them)

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    I just, holy crap the internet hate machine is out in full force now that they have a target. You may be right about the industry growing up to be this petulant brat. I guess all that can be done is to try to fight as long as possible.

Just, why now, and why this woman? Is this sorta to the recent leak of celeb pictures?

Zoe, right? I'm under the impression she visited several places around the web to promote / get feedback on Depression Quest . Among those, 4chan. Seems she got trolled.

Then the ball rolled with Klepek and Navarro saying some things and they received trolling in the form of youtube dislikes to Giant Bomb videos.

And the ball kept rolling ...

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Ok so, since there's an official thread to discuss this shit, I guess I'll put my cards on the table.

I don't care about Zoe Quinn. If you search my post history, you'll see I gave Depression Quest a glowing review before the shitstorm landed, and I still stand by that. Regardless of whether Things are true or not, it was a game that personally resonated with me, and I respect her for making it.

What glued me personally to the "scandal" was the fact that it was being censored everywhere. I don't give a shit about people's personal lives, but censorship bothers me, ESPECIALLY when it seems to be politically motivated. I only started paying close attention to The Whole Thing when not only threads, but entire websites were getting taken down for the sin of even talking about the issue. As soon as I noticed the censorship of it on pretty much every gaming site ever, it became difficult for me to empathize with either side. Max Temkin was randomly accused of rape by some woman on facebook he knew in college, and immediately publicly denies it? Totally newsworthy, let's talk about how awful he is. Zoe Quinn, and holy shit, maybe the whole indie-game-scene might be engaging in unethical practices? How dare you even suggest such a thing, get off our site, you're banned. The double-standard just bothers me.

Quinn does not deserve to be harassed and anyone harassing her is an asshole. But there's a fair number of non-assholes who have a legitimate concern about how this was, for a few weeks, forbidden ground that would get you banned from most gaming websites for even mentioning that it might be something worth talking about. I would assume most regular users of the internet are aware of The Streisand Effect, but apparently not. The "story" would have probably blown over in a week if not for the attempt to circle the wagons and censor it from the entire internet, which is inevitably doomed to fail.

Anyway, I'm not looking to start an argument, just my two cents on the whole deal.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    It's perhaps also worth mentioning that Riot Games & Blizzard have had, at best, intermittent connectivity with most of their server platforms over the last few weeks. Why? Because a group of DDoSers decided that they would blackmail a female Twitch broadcaster - Kaceytron - by shutting down any game she was trying to play until she did what they wanted (the group has since escalated from this position to what you might call a more sex-neutral sort of DDoS terrorism, but they still do their damndest to harass Kaceytron, and I have a feeling that it's not all just 'for the lulz').

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Except her personal life and relationship had nothing to do with the reviews. Her relationship was not with the reviewer, disclosing a relationship with another staff member was not relevant and possibly not even known, and was not in relation to any crime, alleged or real.

It was an ex, releasing personal information in an ugly, public way.

Invisible on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The difference between Quinn and Temkin is that nobody doxxed him and was still posting nude pictures of him nearly a month later.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    What glued me personally to the "scandal" was the fact that it was being censored everywhere. I don't give a shit about people's personal lives, but censorship bothers me, ESPECIALLY when it seems to be politically motivated. I only started paying close attention to The Whole Thing when not only threads, but entire websites were getting taken down for the sin of even talking about the issue. As soon as I noticed the censorship of it on pretty much every gaming site ever, it became difficult for me to empathize with either side. Max Temkin was randomly accused of rape by some woman on facebook he knew in college, and immediately publicly denies it? Totally newsworthy, let's talk about how awful he is. Zoe Quinn, and holy shit, maybe the whole indie-game-scene might be engaging in unethical practices? How dare you even suggest such a thing, get off our site, you're banned. The double-standard just bothers me

Except that nothing was actually censored by anyone aside from the personal information that nobody ought to have had access to in the first place.

Also, the idea that 'the entire indie game scene', as if it's some monolithic entity, is engaged in a conspiracy to lure-in credulous reviewers with femme fatale developers so they can get high Metacritic ratings for free games is kind of a stretch, and until overwhelming evidence is presented to support it, there's no reason to do anything other than dismiss it as more Internet garbage.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Cross posting @Fearghaill s post(don't know who he was quoting) from the SE++ thread
    "We want to talk about improving games journalism."

Ok sure - well what specifically do you think is the problem?

"Too much corruption, not enough transparency, media keep trying to silence our complaints."

Oof, that’s a tricky one. I mean you’re sort of suggesting a number of things there, first of all that corruption has been proven to be a major problem - which is difficult, because it hasn’t. So I mean really you’re asking me to offer up a tangible solution to a widespread problem that - as far as I’m aware - doesn’t actually exist. As you can imagine, that’s a bit of a tough one.

I mean obviously the past few weeks have highlighted certain situations in which corruption potentially could have happened, but jumping to that conclusion without explicit evidence is like suggesting that anyone who’s ever worked a cash register is a thief.

"Well you need to be more transparent, then."

I mean, do we? This comes down to two factors: How many people are actually interested in this stuff, and at what point does the line get drawn? Do I need to start keeping a little black book about everyone I’ve ever had a brief chat with? In an industry this tiny you end up bumping into everyone - and yes, that means having a drink with that developer you quite like, but it also means having to politely shake hands with a snooty exec that genuinely still wants you eviscerated for the time you gave his game a 6/10.

Watching people whip up spider diagrams that prove most people in games know each other was a genuinely insane waste of time - you could have just asked any of us whether or not that was true, and any one of us would have happily told you. Frankly I’ve been a bit unimpressed at how much detail these diagrams lack - everybody knows everybody. To suggest that means cronyism is very naive, mind - not everyone in the industry likes each other, they just hide that relatively well out of a sense of professionalism. It’s not something I’m personally very good at, because I’m a feisty prick who should really know better.

But the core of this call for transparency comes back to an absolute lack of trust. Yes, we all know each other. Yes, most of us have shared a drink with countless developers over the years. If you don’t trust us not to let that influence our work, then no form of transparency is going to change that - we’d simply be providing you with citations to help prove this invented corruption. If you don’t trust a writer or a publication, don’t waste your time reading their stuff.

All sorts of hard work goes on behind the scenes to ensure stuff remains above-board and ethical. I mean, look on Twitter or poke your head into a pub and ethics is practically the only thing that games journalists ever seem to bloody talk about, to the point where it’s almost downright tedious.

Perhaps constantly broadcasting this group-think neurosis has been partly to blame for the current belief that ethical problem musts exist. If that’s the case it’s brutally ironic - this desire to champion squeaky-clean practices only exists because most games media desperately want to rekindle the trust that was unfairly snatched away wholesale because of the actions of an unscrupulous few. If you think you’re still furious about the Gamespot Kane and Lynch stuff, you’ve no idea how professionals feel. To see your entire profession tarred so absolutely with the same brush as a bunch of exec pricks you’ll never even meet is properly heart-rending.

"Well if all that’s true then why are the media trying to silence our complaints?"

It’s difficult to answer this question without tweaking it a little bit, as it sort of comes packaged with the inherent suggestion that the games media is some sort of Borg-like entity that’s secretly in cahoots.

"I do think that’s true though."

Well there’s definitely a tendency for people to react in the same way when put under the same pressures, and sure - you will get a visible sense of unity when a group of people are being attacked in ways that don’t seem entirely fair. So I can see that sometimes it might appear like there’s some form of formal collaboration going on behind the scenes - with different sites from around the world working towards the same planned agendas - but obviously it’s more likely to suggest that any appearances of direct collaboration are more the result of like-minded people reacting to the same stimulus in very similar ways.

"No I do believe that the games media are working together to silence us."

Oh, right. Well that’s tricky. You’re sort of working from a frame of reference that’s so vastly different to the reality that I know exists that I’m not really sure how we can go about having a meaningful conversation. It’s like we’re trying to work together on a map of the earth, but one of us believes the world is flat and the other one believes the world is a triangle, you know?

The only way I could talk about how to improve games journalism with you would be to force my brain to entirely reject things I know to be true in favour of things you believe to be true. And I can’t prove that what you believe isn’t true, because it’s impossible to provide evidence that disproves evidence that as far as I can tell doesn’t actually exist.

Gosh, sorry- this has become awfully complicated. I guess the short version is that there’s no point in us having this conversation - I’m unable to integrate your perspective into the version of reality I know to be true, and you seem unwilling to consider the proposition that the conspiracies you believe in might not be real. So yeah, I’m off to do something else. Sorry.

"Typical! Completely unwilling to talk to us about fixing our legitimate complaints…"

(Hopefully this serves both as a FAQ for people genuinely asking me these questions, and also as a partial explanation - although not a justification - as to why many media have reacted to these criticisms with derision. It’s tough to remain rational when surrounded with madness.)

Edit: I understand that people remain very angry at what they see as journalists lashing out at the community in general, and whilst I won’t try and justify that (or even entirely accept that this isn’t even true) I’d like to ask you to consider this: When the community you’ve worked so hard to serve choose to stand beside a group of manipulative misogynists rather than entertain the idea that you might not actually be corrupt, how do you think this makes people feel?

So much of this argument boils down to a misunderstanding - the games media aren’t calling you misogynists. They don’t think you hate women. But you’ve decided that your distrust of the media is so strong that you’d rather side with dangerous bigots than believe that the media might not be corrupt, that’s a hell of a statement to be making.

There’s a lot of talk about gamers being disrespected right now, but honestly - take a step back and think about how that might actually feel. Here’s a clue: it feels fucking awful. I’m doing my best to continue to talk about this stuff without getting too emotional and angry, but trust me - it remains a constant struggle.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Cross posting @Fearghaill s post(don't know who he was quoting) from the SE++ thread
    "We want to talk about improving games journalism."
    snip

That's Matt Lees. http://jamsponge.tumblr.com/

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The movement was tainted pretty much from the start sadly. Even with people's hearts in the right place to some degree, it still comes down to having been spearheaded by some pretty nasty people. Not like, "there's nasty people in there" but the actual reason for this to exist are people like Adam Baldwin and the Internet Aristocrat.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Moving this over from the other thread.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Snork wrote: »
    Alternatively, you can troll the living shit out of them, but that isn't as quite as cathartic

It is very easy though

This is an extremely bad idea, because the entire hashtag is based around and fed through an irrational persecution complex.

The more you feed that the more rampant they become.

You have to really remember, these are people upset that gamers as a group have developed a reputation for toxic comments and harassment on the internet, which frankly if you've been to any major gaming websites lately isn't hard to see why. The problem is, they aren't upset about the harassment, they're upset about the fact the relentless harassment looks bad for them as a group. They don't give a shit women are being driven out, harassed, threatened and so on, it's only the insult to them personally that matters.

They're making a victim persecution complex, don't feed it.

I need to second this. Friend of mine is an acquaintance of Zoe on a professional level, and this whole thing rankles him to no end. So he's been super vocal about his support. They got bored this afternoon and just flooded his damn Twitter with this bullshit.

The primary victims of this crap have done the sensible thing and disengaged for the moment. The mob is flailing and looking for random targets now.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    For many websites there is no gain in reporting on this. There's not much of a neutral article to write, since it's pretty clear that one side is continually breaking laws and cheering when they ruin lives, and the other side are people that make videogames and write and know each other and are sometimes friends, in very rare cases more?

These two things are not equal. So anyone except the most fringe side would have to write a condemning story about this storm of internet assholes, and guess what that does: It brings the internet assholes to you. All your social media will be completely taken over, including links to stolen personal info and nudie pics, you get to join the death threat club, your comments/forums will be flooded, people will try to hack you.

If I was part of a games news website, I would think real hard about letting that storm hit me too. It would be a ton of work for staff having to moderate it, you would lose some of your readership over it for sure, and because it includes near automatic personal invasion it would take some real dedication to even hit the 'post story' button. And what's the upside?

Even the Guardian, a top british newspaper, who tried very hard to be nonpartisan when laying out the facts but made the gruesome mistake of having it written by a female games freelance journalist, was pretty obviously distraught by the result. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/how-to-attack-a-woman-who-works-in-video-games They wrote a followup article that is real harsh, but it is written by a man so the comments all go on about the first article and Zoe Quinn instead. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/03/gamergate-corruption-games-anita-sarkeesian-zoe-quinn

There is a longstanding rule of internetting: Don't read the comments. In all but a very few bastions, comment sections / forums are places of misogyny, racism, trolling, vitriol, hate speech and abuse. And this whole debacle has made me think how empowering that is for these assholes: From the looks of it most of the internet agrees with them, and only little groups of "leftwing thirdwave feminist cliquey elites" (in this case independent gamewriters and makers, who usually get paid fuck all so they patreon to be able to eat) oppose them. The bulk of the internet must be right. And the fact that very large websites refuse to moderate themselves is a large part of this(Reddit and 4chan being notorious, but youtube is real bad about their comments, and twitter is terribe at reporting abuse, meaning it stays up long and is easier to replace than to file the report). That is why even a little gain like Fark implementing misogyny rules just before this took off are actually big gains.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    This remains a disturbing issue, not only because of the personal cost it is having for people like Zoey. We like to joke about how awful most official game forums are, how large public forums like 4chan and reddit are dens of scum and villainy, but while those people may be a minority of most games' customer bases they still have a hugely important voice in the world of video games. The toxicity that exists in those environment is a real problem, one that seems almost insurmountable when looked at from the outside.

Like many other people I often get the feeling that issues like homophobia, misogyny and racism will only be truly solvable when enough of the people who's awful opinions are too deeply rooted to be challenged finally die off. I fervently hope this is not the case in the video gaming community, and there are many signs of hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    Like many other people I often get the feeling that issues like homophobia, misogyny and racism will only be truly solvable when enough of the people who's awful opinions are too deeply rooted to be challenged finally die off. I fervently hope this is not the case in the video gaming community, and there are many signs of hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

This isn't something like the demographic divide in politics, with one group growing up in an unsustainable Reagan era & the other growing-up in the burned-out aftermath; for starters, the people doing this are teenagers, young adults & a few sorry species of grown men - it's not like a bunch of geriatrics that'll be gone in 5-10 years. They're here for the long haul.

Even if they weren't, though, it's a problem (or set of problems) that is bigger than the current toxic communities. It's a lack of ability / interest to enforce things like anti-harassment laws on the Internet; it's the grant of entitlement to sexism not only as part of entertainment, but as a form of entertainment in and of itself; it's the buy-in on behalf of the industry that the toxic folks need to be catered to, or at the very least, that gaming communities just need to 'police themselves' - that good 'ol libertarian nonsense that has never worked to create a decent space and will never work. The list goes on.

Until the core problems are dealt with, any given toxic element can come or go and there will be many, many more trailing behind it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Additionally, as long as these people exist and have a large vocal presence, they'll continue to breed an atmosphere that teaches newcomers that this shit is okay, so it's not going to vanish with this generation. I mean, we had a civil rights movement back in the 60s and we're still dealing with major racism in this country 50 years later. And it's not all coming from old people, either.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of this awful awful situation would clear up if we identified the people sending the threats and insults, and then told their parents about it?

I honestly think a sizable chunk of the hate machine would vanish if that happened. Not all of it and for a number of reasons, but it wouldn't hurt.

This may be absurdly naive though.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, apparently Nick Searcy from Justified and Adam Baldwin of Firefly have gotten in on the goosery, and I'm pretty sure they're grown men who should know better.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of this awful awful situation would clear up if we identified the people sending the threats and insults, and then told their parents about it?

I honestly think a sizable chunk of the hate machine would vanish if that happened. Not all of it and for a number of reasons, but it wouldn't hurt.

Honestly I imagine a large chunk of those kids learn this from their parents.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My own (admittedly limited) experience is:

- My parents did not really know what I got up to online other than what I told them, albeit I think I can say I never did anything awful.
    - If I was engaged in awful, and they discovered this, I would be figuratively crucified. Possibly literally.

So I believe there is a subset of the current hate machine that fits this category, but probably smaller than I'd like.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've tried not to follow this whole mess because the internet is an awful, awful place, especially when it comes to women and games.

I've heard whispers and rumours that this particular assault on a woman is really about corruption in games journalism.

Just like, I suppose, Sarkeesian repeatedly getting death threats is really about people being scammed on Kickstarter or something.

I have a lot of trouble believing that sudden internet shitstorms like this are anything other than the putrid raging of misogynists.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The Ender wrote: »
    What glued me personally to the "scandal" was the fact that it was being censored everywhere. I don't give a shit about people's personal lives, but censorship bothers me, ESPECIALLY when it seems to be politically motivated. I only started paying close attention to The Whole Thing when not only threads, but entire websites were getting taken down for the sin of even talking about the issue. As soon as I noticed the censorship of it on pretty much every gaming site ever, it became difficult for me to empathize with either side. Max Temkin was randomly accused of rape by some woman on facebook he knew in college, and immediately publicly denies it? Totally newsworthy, let's talk about how awful he is. Zoe Quinn, and holy shit, maybe the whole indie-game-scene might be engaging in unethical practices? How dare you even suggest such a thing, get off our site, you're banned. The double-standard just bothers me

Except that nothing was actually censored by anyone aside from the personal information that nobody ought to have had access to in the first place.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, depending on what you want to class as "censorship". This Reddit thread featured almost all of the twenty five thousand posts in it being deleted - the majority of them didn't contain any personal information, and were instead just caught in a blanket deletion.

My impression (which is probably entirely wrong) is that that single thread massively and needlessly encouraged interest in the situation.

Burnage on
  • Options

Honestly, i think this would almost instantly & magically cure 70-80% of the bullshit. And you could clear out another 20% if people thought there was a credible risk of their employer, friends and/or family members finding out what they were spewing on Twitter or whatever.

The problem is that you can't really do either of those things without a monstrous invasion of user privacy - one that would very likely create more problems than it solves.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Don't say toxic bullshit is a sound policy everyone should follow in public and private. We aren't exactly talking political dissident in a brutal regime.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Doxxing people as a method of fixing this situation would probably not be the best method of going about it

Particularly because the research linked in the OP kinda states that around 70% of gamers are adults

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Honestly, i think this would almost instantly & magically cure 70-80% of the bullshit. And you could clear out another 20% if people thought there was a credible risk of their employer, friends and/or family members finding out what they were spewing on Twitter or whatever.

The problem is that you can't really do either of those things without a monstrous invasion of user privacy - one that would very likely create more problems than it solves.

Most of these people are adults

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It seems a popular narrative that mainly the underaged are responsible, and that immature adults can be handled as if they are underaged.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    This is a bit off topic, but I think we are rapidly approaching a time where Internet anonymity will be a thing of the past, like pleated pants or Doogie Howser. This is both good and bad--bad in victims may face even more threats and exposure, but good because the perpetrators of this stuff will be just as vulnerable to exposure. Presumably law enforcement, completely ill-equipped to handle these kinds of threats right now, will eventually get better at policing this kind of threat. Unfortunately, it's a slow process and it doesn't solve the very real problem that is happening right now.

I'd also like to say, generally, since it always comes up in these types of threads (and has come up already, and probably will again) is that the deleting of ugly words or posts is not censorship. Censorship is a very specific thing, i.e., the limitation or elimination of public speech by the government. To my knowledge, that hasn't happened here.

You have no right to public speech on sites like Reddit or other privately-run websites. Moderators who remove posts or block accounts are not censoring anything--they are following the rules and restrictions of a private business with the primary goal of generating revenue and not be a soapbox for crazy people. Businesses can limit their customer pool however they like. No shirt, no shoes, no service.

Furthermore, people can and should expect consequences for poor and ugly speech, including counter-speech and being banned or removed from a private forum for being a total twat. That's how free speech works.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    You know, I'm so glad I quit reddit, because you guys are having a much more calm and reasonable discussion about this than I had ever seen on there.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Every time one of these shitstorms happen I wonder what I can do about it. I tend to call people on their bullshit in real life as often as I can when they talk about "those damn feminists", but it feels pointless on the internet. Whatever I do, it feels like I feed the toxic discourse, since the discussion is always forced to be about the harassed person and how they deserved it, rather than how fucked up the general climate on the internet is.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    One thing the internet has done (and is still rapidly doing) is demolish the fiction that people who do these kinds of things don't really exist. The attitude these people have isn't anything new; what we're seeing is just the public venting of a lot of built up spleen. To some extent it will always be with us, but as with some other more blatant forms of social discrimination, we can make it socially unacceptable to the large majority of society.

I feel terrible for women like Sarkesian as individuals, but historically speaking the first people through the wall on social justice issues have always taken a beating. 'First they ignore you' etc.

I'm less concerned about games 'journalism.' Games journalism isn't anything new really, it's just yellow journalism covering a fairly incestuous industry. There's some good stuff out there, most of it's shit, ultimately who cares?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I'm so happy to see this thread on these forums. This is probably the only place on the internet where we could have a mature conversation about a sensitive topic.
    This is a bit off topic, but I think we are rapidly approaching a time where Internet anonymity will be a thing of the past, like pleated pants or Doogie Howser. This is both good and bad--bad in victims may face even more threats and exposure, but good because the perpetrators of this stuff will be just as vulnerable to exposure. Presumably law enforcement, completely ill-equipped to handle these kinds of threats right now, will eventually get better at policing this kind of threat. Unfortunately, it's a slow process and it doesn't solve the very real problem that is happening right now.

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them, outlaw internet anonymity and only trolls will have it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    It seems a popular narrative that mainly the underaged are responsible, and that immature adults can be handled as if they are underaged.

Yup, because I must believe that this is true, and any studies to the contrary must somehow be flawed, to get through my day.

I just can't drink enough in the day to cope with the idea that fully grown adults say the shit i read in open Twitch chat / LoL chat / Twitter all of the time. :P

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    I'm so happy to see this thread on these forums. This is probably the only place on the internet where we could have a mature conversation about a sensitive topic.

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them, outlaw internet anonymity and only trolls will have it.

I'm with Jay here; that's really what "gives" a lot of these geese any power is this wall they can hide behind where they think it's okay to spew such hate. I feel like maybe 9/10th's of the people using any sort of hatespeech would never say something like that someone's face, and with the 1 who does, well, I'd really like to know who those people are so I can avoid the ever-living fuck out of them.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I can understand people concerned with the connections between developers and reviewers. It's something that's been an ongoing issue forever. However, I think people forget this is something every industry has happen - how many directors or actors do you think Ebert knew in the movies he reviewed? Probably quite a few. Seems odd to expect folks in the industry to not have connections.

The only thing I'm not sure I agree with (I'm still just learning about all these events) is that aside from some of the vindictive content being released, I don't necessarily think this would have been a unique situation for a woman. If a similar situation occurred with a guy...let's say someone at CliffyB's former company released a file with emails showing he was dating an IGN reporter who happened to review a game of his glowingly...I think a similar shitstorm likely would have occurred. Admittedly we probably wouldn't be seeing Twitter posts of his junk floating about, but I think the stupid doxxing of people that defend them or the harassment that's been happening would have probably still happened. It would just be slightly less vile and toxic.

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Every time one of these shitstorms happen I wonder what I can do about it. I tend to call people on their bullshit in real life as often as I can when they talk about "those damn feminists", but it feels pointless on the internet. Whatever I do, it feels like I feed the toxic discourse, since the discussion is always forced to be about the harassed person and how they deserved it, rather than how fucked up the general climate on the internet is.

I'm echoing a sentiment I posted yesterday, but the best thing you can do is to send supportive messages to those under attack.

Engaging is good when it's with individuals interested in honest discussions and maybe changing their minds. Arguing with an internet mob is a waste of your time.

Actually, when you engage these assholes online, they actually win by default. They have nothing to lose, whereas you're wasting your time (legitimizing their position even) when you could be focusing on positive action.

f24GSaF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.