As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Available Now

1464748495052»

• TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    Isnt capcom doing a near full price director's cut something of a.... Standard thing by now? I just rent the game, wait for the inevitable special edition, and full buy /that/ one instead. Usually. Missed both DR 1, completely, and 2, except for a brief rental so this is my first go at it. Was gone by the time I got back. C'est la vie.

Speaking of, its fun! Frank's chattier, zombies are thicker, a few new weapons that are rather neat, and, predictably, relatively overpowered. The Laser Eyes, which are in every toystore / gem market you hit, wipe a fairly magic amount of zombies out in beautiful, 300 per, collapsing fire. Which calculates like a melee weapon, so no ammo. And has durability well in excess of anything sans a doubled magazine broadsword.. I believe it can output damn near 30k PP if you're lucky and practiced, in a minute flat.

The biggest frustration, having to come /back/ for every round of Zombrex, is evened out by him being the one being treated, anywhere..... And I swear his skillset is just Better. Less lag, more stick-and-move. The Chuck shift I found pretty believable, actually. Theres a reason its game over if you dont save the kid - he /loses/ it, in exactly the way you would expect. Talks like a PC, too. So it all just fits for me.

I've only just NOW discovered the wonderful world of juice machines, though. Are there NO goddamn tutorials past the first bit? ITs like this is a friggen roguelike. Which I guess is why I keep coming back.

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I've been playing OTR for a little bit now and it is definitely better than DR2 in my opinion. Lots of things just feel right... And Frank is a better character. Though he's gained a bit of weight. :P

I did feel bad about Chuck though. :(

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You playing on PC honky? Also, there's a sandbox mode? As in without timer? Really? Question mark?

Big Isy wrote: »
    You playing on PC honky? Also, there's a sandbox mode? As in without timer? Really? Question mark?

Nah 360. I wish I had bought it for the PC though. The sandbox mode is good if you want to rack up some cash.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, the game is ok but Frank is not nearly as fun to play as Chuck was. And by "play" I mean "make run around in a g-string".

Magic Pink wrote: »
    Yeah, the game is ok but Frank is not nearly as fun to play as Chuck was. And by "play" I mean "make run around in a g-string".

Haha c'mon... Frank is more of a looker than.... Nah, who am I kidding. He's a little pudgy isn't he?

Apparently he's been covering wars... with frosting.

I kinda hope that the next one lets you choose who you want to be, between a female and male character. Everything else needs to remain the same and I'll be happy.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    rOgfy.jpg

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    I found Katey creepy and the treatment a little disturbing, to be honest. I'm quite fine with the story not having her.

Also, yeah, Off The Record has a damn fine sandbox mode, shared character and stats and the whole shebang with your storyline save.

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    So guys, if I hadn't played either version of DR2 before, which should I get? I'm not picky about playing Frank or Chuck, but I read that there are some system improvements with OTR? Also, is there any reason I shouldn't get it for 360? All of the DLC is available on 360, right?

So guys, if I hadn't played either version of DR2 before, which should I get? I'm not picky about playing Frank or Chuck, but I read that there are some system improvements with OTR? Also, is there any reason I shouldn't get it for 360? All of the DLC is available on 360, right?

Go with OTR. It's got everything that DR2 has and more.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I kinda want to buy OTR now, but its not cheap enough anywhere. Amazon does have the DR2 collector's edition, new for like $22

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

As in... It's the DR2 campaign plus some expansion with the DR1 protagonist? Or?

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Things vanilla has that OTR lacks (based on my sometimes-terrible memory):

*Obviously the cutscenes are (usually only slightly) different. The opening event and (non-overtime) final boss are entirely different though (as is one of the psychopaths). And naturally anything involving Katie is different.
    *Chuck and Frank also have different movesets.
    *The TIR multiplayer modes are all gone in OTR, leaving you with only Co-op. I don't think TIR's unlockables (TIR outfit, super moosehead, etc.) can be found in OTR but I'm not sure.
    *Much like DR1 had the Mega Man outfit, DR2 has it's own outfits but they are different in each one. Chuck can get be Arthur from Ghosts & Goblins in vanilla (and as far as I remember the Arthur suit isn't available in OTR), whereas Frank gets to be Protoman.
    *DLC Suits in vanilla give you the bonuses for just wearing a single piece, so you can wear one piece of each and be unstoppable with all the bonuses, but in OTR you have to wear the full suit for the bonuses. However, all of vanilla's DLC suits are hidden in OTR by default, and OTR gets a brand new set of DLC suits and bonuses to add on top of those.
    *The 360 version of vanilla can unlock bonuses from Case Zero, but OTR cannot.
    *You can check your watch without pausing the game in vanilla, but in OTR you only see your watch on the map screen (I think).

In all other ways OTR is better (more outfits, new zone to explore, new bosses, new combo weapons, new vehicle, photography is back, sandbox mode, etc.).

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    rOgfy.jpg

Wow. Just... wow.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Panda4You wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

As in... It's the DR2 campaign plus some expansion with the DR1 protagonist? Or?

Yeah basically. Frank as a character is better too.

Also everything Lars said is true.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Okay, sounds good. So just to be clear, I won't be missing any content by getting the 360 version over the PC?

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Man, I liked Chuck a lot more than Frank, comparatively, between DR1 and 2.

I hate Frank. I know he's covered wars, ya'know, but I just could not relate to his character at all. Plus, DR1 handled exceptionally poorly. Maybe my fondness for Chuck comes from how easy DR2 was to control. I might pick up Off the Record, though. DR2 was pretty fantastic.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I like Frank because he's a bad character.

I like Chuck's story, and I like seeing Frank's reactions at being put in the same situation Chuck had been in (Chuck's drive to save his daughter and clear his name is replaced by Frank's intent to get himself back in the limelight by revealing the source of another zombie outbreak). But, I think that on the whole I wouldn't have enjoyed OTR as much if I hadn't played DR2 first.

It's like Weird Al. You can like his music as it is, but it makes it even funnier if you know the songs he's making fun of.

Also, this happened in OTR, and I'm not sure it happens in the first one:
    I gave a "massager" to the stripper survivor in the sex shop. I then found a real weapon and tried to give it to her, but she refused, saying "I don't know when I'll ever find another one of these."

Priorities!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Grabbed Off The Record back during the Steam holiday sales; even cheap, the negative stuff I kept hearing had me a bit worried I was wasting my money and I just got around to playing it.

Man, I was so wrong. For one, it's been ages since I've played DR2, and I just love something about the DR games. I don't even know what it is, because the psycho fights are generally awful. I mean, the part where the snipers start hanging around on the rooftops on the strip? Completely awful. Yet I still love the hell out of the games, even with how stupid the psycho fights can be.

I love the hell out of OTR, but I can see why people were put off of it with a ludicrous 40-dollar pricetag. Think I got it for 10-15 bucks, which was a very good price because this is basically a big DLC pack. And it's awesome to have Frank back; he meshes with the surreal insanity of the DR ten times better than Chuck, simply because Frank is both so matter-of-fact and a bit off-kilter himself. Attaching a "serious" story to Chuck didn't grab me at all, simply because it felt entirely like dead weight to me. Even Chuck's "cameo" felt a lot more appropriate to the feel of the game than his whole story in vanilla.

Anyone have any idea if we'll be getting a Dead Rising 3? I know Capcom has turned into a seriously shitty company since the release of DR1 and the team behind DR2 had to pull some shenanigans to keep Capcom from burying the game, but I really hope we'll get a DR3.

Well, DR3 came out today for the PC and, surprising absolutley no one, the game is literally unplayable. The frame rate is in the single digits IF you can get the game to even run. Thanks Capcom!