As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How was your hotel?

jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
Sorry if there's already a thread for this.
In the metagame that is Pax planning, one can never start too soon. In the name of early planning, and general curiosity, how was your hotel? Would you stay there again next year or will you try something else?

• SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The W was great as always. It had been my go-to in Seattle for years. When you walk in and the lobby staff all greet you by name after a long absence, you know it is going to be an epic weekend.

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Homewood has the best amenities with the free breakfasts and kitchen in all units, but their service is terrible. Like, the worst.

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    The Hyatt was good, but there was a confusion about our room. I booked a room for 3 people through the PAX hotel deal. Before I ordered I called to confirm that the King bedrooms had 2 beds. Well when I arrived they did not have two beds and the person at the front desk said none of the king rooms had two beds. Other than the person at the front desk not seeming to care about this mistake, things were ok.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    The staff at Hotel Max were very friendly and helpful. The bathrooms in that place are the tiniest in the world though.

Bonus... 5:30-6:30 is free beer time in the lobby. So it was nice to wander in after the exhibit hall closed each day and have a free drink.

• rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    I was at the Renaissance, and it was great, but I also had lounge access thanks to a family member so I was able to get free breakfast/dinner most days.

Great service though, and the one day I did eat in their restaurant it was delicious. Room was.... normal double size, I guess. Not too big, not too small.

• DefaultGenDefaultGen Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • Star ForgeStar Forge Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Crowne Plaza has great service and a clean (and spacious) room. However, don't expect the bathroom fan to work and an occasional wall panel will fall off the bathroom during your week-long stay.

PS: The beds are King Size.

Next year I might try the Sheraton though since I might be only rooming with one person instead of three.

Star Forge on
    Attending [E]nforcing: PAX East 2015 Vacation: [x] Flight: [x] Hotel: [x] [E] Schedule: []
    Attended: PAX Prime 2014
    Considering: PAX Prime 2015
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    DefaultGen wrote: »
    I cheaped out at the Panama Hotel in Chinatown, a mistake a wouldn't make again. It had great reviews on Google so I took a shot. I was aware that it's ancient and has shared bathrooms but nothing about it felt clean or comfortable. There was a rusty sink in the corner of the room that I wouldn't drink from and the window was propped open with a Solo cup. Lots of little bugs in the showers too. This was my first PAX Prime so I also wasn't aware of Seattle's homeless problem. Staying a mile away in Boston isn't a big deal, but the midnight walk home here felt pretty sketchy.

Only $110 a night though, so there's that. Next year if I can't convince anyone to come with me I'll have to get in on a room share.

This post is equal parts informative and public service announcement.

• LindabearLindabear Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Sheraton was great as always. We did a two-bed again.

Everything was clean and the service was prompt with getting our rooms serviced when we needed. Not too big to fit the amount of people we had in our room, but not tiny either.

PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I loved the Homewood Suites - the suite was huge, with a full-size living room with couch, desk, and chair, full kitchen, and separate bedroom. And a balcony with a good view, and a TV in both the bedroom and living room. The breakfasts were great, and the room came with free daily microwave popcorn :) Free slow internet, if you wanted internet good enough for streaming video it cost $5 a day (but that was plenty fast).

The only downside I experienced, all you get on TV are local channels, something like 10 cable channels, and Showtime. No guide at all, you gotta guess what's gonna be on TV, and use the card to figure out what channel is what - it was like watching TV 20 years ago!

Didn't experience any issues with service, it was 5 minutes after I arrived until I was in my room, calling the front desk to check out took all of 1 minute; I never had to deal with their service aside from that.

Dreamwriter on
  • soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    Seconding that the Sheraton was great, as usual. I've always enjoyed my stays there and the fact that wifi is included is really nice.

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    Stayed at the Crowne Plaza this year, absolutely no complaints with it
    The front desk staff was always super courteous and friendly, made checking in a breeze.
    Was pleasantly surprised to be given a wifi code as part of the OnPeak booking, though as a rewards member I would have gotten it anyway.
    Room was clean and super spacious, the mini-fridge was a good size for drinks but not good for storing any leftover food. On the note of leftover food having a microwave in room would have been nice but is a luxury wish. lol
    Having 2 queen beds and plenty of floor space was perfect for my group as everyone got their own space.
    Even the restaurant in the hotel was top notch.
    Overall a fantastic stay, definitely my top hotel choice for next year!

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Homewood was great for me. I had to explain to them several times exactly how many people I had in the room each night (three nights were different), but I kinda expected that.

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Homewood was fine for me. Last year the room had a dead thermostat that took two calls to the front desk to get someone to come up and fix it.

This year I went for the bigger of the suites. If I was to nitpick:

The thermostat not consistently turning on the AC unit (usually changing the setting by a few degrees would wake it up)
    Wifi signal was really strange (the USB dongle I had wouldn't pick it up in the bedroom but would in the front room)
    Housekeeping would put any and all used cups/dishes in the dishwasher. Seemed wasteful to wash a coffee cup that was used for less than a half hour.
    Sink was slow to drain
    Venting in the bathroom wasn't the best (still beat the crap out of what I had in the Hilton in '12)

Good:
    Free, but slow, wifi access
    Free breakfast. Uninspired and somewhat bland at times, sure, but free with the option to get more.
    The 800 sq ft suites had two entrances to the bathroom, a sliding door to the bedroom and a normal door from the front room. This was great as my traveling companion didn't have to try to sneak through the bedroom if I was sleeping and he had to use the bathroom. The 500 sq ft suites had only one door into the bathroom, and it was from the bedroom.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I echo the above sentiments that the Crowne Plaza was pretty boss. I switched there because it was $25/night less than the Renaissance where I had booked originally. It was nice and quiet, very comfortable, and I got to streetpass people like @brettpool like 7 times. >_>

For ease of access to the convention centre, it was a pretty quick jaunt as it was right across the street from the south (I think?) entrance to freeway park.

I can't really recommend the Regatta Grill in the hotel though. Pricey (as you'd expect) but mediocre food and pretty weak service. The waitress did give us free cookies since one of our party's order was screwed up so there's that?

• Star ForgeStar Forge Registered User regular
    brettpool wrote: »
    Stayed at the Crowne Plaza this year, absolutely no complaints with it
    The front desk staff was always super courteous and friendly, made checking in a breeze.
    Was pleasantly surprised to be given a wifi code as part of the OnPeak booking, though as a rewards member I would have gotten it anyway.
    Room was clean and super spacious, the mini-fridge was a good size for drinks but not good for storing any leftover food. On the note of leftover food having a microwave in room would have been nice but is a luxury wish. lol
    Having 2 queen beds and plenty of floor space was perfect for my group as everyone got their own space.
    Even the restaurant in the hotel was top notch.
    Overall a fantastic stay, definitely my top hotel choice for next year!

This, the Westin or the Sheraton for sure!

Attending [E]nforcing: PAX East 2015 Vacation: [x] Flight: [x] Hotel: [x] [E] Schedule: []
    Attended: PAX Prime 2014
    Considering: PAX Prime 2015
  • Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Stayed at the Red Lion / Motif this year and aside from a few things to nit pick I & my friend really enjoyed the room

- The shower head was really weird, like a wand that had little to no pressure and the holder was placed slightly above waist high. Little to no pressure seems pretty common since its a hotel and at any point in time there maybe a ton of people showering / using the faucets etc so that was most likely what caused the pressure to be lower than usual.
    - The elevators seemed quite slow & I believe at one point one of the elevators stopped working. Being on the 9th floor I made the trek with the stairs once but since I am not an athlete it was pretty tiring going up that many flights of stairs.
    - The toilet in the washroom was really weird sometimes you would have to flush multiple times even if it was a #1 in there

- The service was first class from check in, to guest services, great service!
    - Loved that while the Sheraton is closer to PAX Motif / Red Lion is closer to everything else (bus stops, other venues etc)
    - Free Wifi, although slow, can't complain about free wifi

As for restaurants I truthfully can't recommend the Elephant & Castle Pub. Went there twice, the first time was at night on a whim and had pretty below average service (had to call the waiter over to ask for refills after they had walked by at least 3 - 4 times and it wasn't busy either). I had the jalapeno mac n cheese & my buddy had the poutine, both dishes left a bit to be desired.

The second time was around 3 - 330pm and it was slightly busier, however, it was the same thing in that it seemed that we didn't get refills or anything until we called a waiter over and asked. I had a deluxe burger (I believe) and thought that was decent, my buddy had the yorkie pudding with roast beef and while the yorkie + beef was decent the mash had little to no flavour at all.

Apologies to anyone who works there we might have just had the odd bad service / dishes but after having that twice I will definitely not frequent them if I can land badges for 2015

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • MidnightJesterMidnightJester Jester Extraordinaire Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    The "Valu Inn" over by SeaTac Airport was exactly what you would expect with a name like that. (My roommates and I decided to pronounce it "valoo") My favorite part was probably that there were signs saying that if you heard alarms to call 911. Because apparently their alarms won't actually notify the fire department, you'll have to do that on your own.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    The Sheraton was great as always, but this year the included free wifi was actually fast! I mean, it was fast enough for video streaming. That's pretty rare for hotels.

Regarding room size, it seemed spacious to me, but I'm old and crotchety and don't room with more than one other person.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Another positive vote for the Westin here. Great stay as always.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • mljonirmljonir Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Stayed at the Grand Hyatt again and it was okay. At first we had to switch rooms because they put us in a smoking room (didn't even know those were still a thing) and they used this machine to help remove the smell from the room, which it did for a little bit, but then I realized the entire 19th floor was the "smoking floor".. Once we switched rooms everything was waaaay better. The lady at the front desk gave us a bunch of free red bull which was awesome. Probably my only complaint would be that the wifi isn't free anymore.. They definitely raised their prices at the Hyatt too.. Might end up trying somewhere else next year..

• StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular
    I stayed at the green tortoise and it was fine for the most part. However, aside from the hostel activities (which were fun) I only came back to sleep and shower. I missed having a secure "base of operations," e.g. a hotel room, and next year I'm going to find at least one roommate no matter what so I can justify the cost :P (Stayed at the Crowne Plaza the last 2 trips and enjoyed it). I think my goal for next year will be the Sheraton, if I'm not already living near Seattle by then.

Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009
  • Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Stayed at the Motif (Red Lion) for the second straight year, it will be my last. With tabletop back at Motif the elevators were an issue again. Also, we were stuck on the top floor and between 8am-10am there was zero water pressure.

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
  • jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    Springhill Suites was good as usual for me, even worked pretty well considering I had a pretty packed room. The shuttle was kind of useless this year though, but the walk isn't too bad. I think it has to be up there for the largest room you can get while being in walking distance of the convention.

• VianethVianeth Registered User regular
    Grand Hyatt this year.
    Bathroom was gorgeous. Marble tile everywhere. Immaculately clean. Free hairbrush, makeup remover, woolite, stuff like that delivered to you if you need. Glass shower. Hi tech faucets.
    The room itself: Clean, didn't smell. Had a small flat screen tv. Bed, desk and an extra chair. No refrigerator in my room.
    Wifi was $19/day. Did not get wifi.
    Chose a single King bed from onpeak. When I checked in, all that was available were two double beds. I could choose to wait awhile for the King but didnt want to wait.
    $220 or something per night. They charge you the total cost for the hotel when you check in plus $50 per night damages fee in case you trash the room. They refund the damage fee at the end of your stay if you dont trash the room. So be prepared for the total to come out of your funds when you check in.
    The convenience of being across the street from PAX is nice.

• I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    mljonir wrote: »
    Stayed at the Grand Hyatt again and it was okay. At first we had to switch rooms because they put us in a smoking room (didn't even know those were still a thing) and they used this machine to help remove the smell from the room, which it did for a little bit, but then I realized the entire 19th floor was the "smoking floor".. Once we switched rooms everything was waaaay better. The lady at the front desk gave us a bunch of free red bull which was awesome. Probably my only complaint would be that the wifi isn't free anymore.. They definitely raised their prices at the Hyatt too.. Might end up trying somewhere else next year..
    Vianeth wrote: »
    Grand Hyatt this year.
    Bathroom was gorgeous. Marble tile everywhere. Immaculately clean. Free hairbrush, makeup remover, woolite, stuff like that delivered to you if you need. Glass shower. Hi tech faucets.
    The room itself: Clean, didn't smell. Had a small flat screen tv. Bed, desk and an extra chair. No refrigerator in my room.
    Chose a single King bed from onpeak. When I checked in, all that was available were two double beds. I could choose to wait awhile for the King but didnt want to wait.
    $220 or something per night. They charge you the total cost for the hotel when you check in plus $50 per night damages fee in case you trash the room. They refund the damage fee at the end of your stay if you dont trash the room. So be prepared for the total to come out of your funds when you check in.

Funny you both mention not getting the free wifi. They gave us a code to enter for free wifi. She wrote it on our keycard sleeves.

I3izzy on
    ZYseqtZ.png
  • ZombicusZombicus Registered User regular
    Stayed at the Grand Hyatt again and it was okay. At first we had to switch rooms because they put us in a smoking room (didn't even know those were still a thing) and they used this machine to help remove the smell from the room, which it did for a little bit, but then I realized the entire 19th floor was the "smoking floor".. Once we switched rooms everything was waaaay better.
    The same thing happened to me. Was put on the 19th floor, which was partially smoking rooms, but the smell leaked into our (non-smoking) room. They were quick to remedy the situation, so I can't complain! Their customer service was fantastic. :)

@Vianeth I'm surprised that you didn't have a fridge since they claimed all rooms have a fridge now. Heard differently on the phone, so perhaps they were misinformed.

Prime Presence: 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14 | Heading to Prime 2015!
    pinnypals.com/pals/Zombicus
  • Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Fairmount Olympic was iffy IMO. The hotel was fantastic and worth the $$ but the parking wasn't. $35 a night is too much and it wasn't even "in house." They uses a Public Parking area across the street. Anyone know of a cheaper parking hotel?? Or are all the hotels this close to the convention center this costly?? If so then walking 2-3 more blocks to the convention to save $10 for parking dosnt seem so bad.

• MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I3izzy wrote: »
    Funny you both mention not getting the free wifi. They gave us a code to enter for free wifi. She wrote it on our keycard sleeves.
    They charged me for the wifi initially. When I checked out I presented my Hyatt Gold Passport card and the receptionist removed the wifi charges.

ItrVoTt.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The Westin is ok. Staff were great, room was solid, I didn't care for the shower though but that's cause I'm used to having my face blasted off by high pressure ship water. The showerhead in my room just sorta rains on you. Also the towel rack is in the shower which is just weird. The room's fridge is one of those "not actually a fridge" fridges which are just there to sell you drinks. I did get free WiFi though which is groovy and it was one of the cheapest options so there's that.

So far my top tier list is still Sheraton for the location and Hyatt for the bathrooms that you can park a car inside. of.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • MagmarosMagmaros Registered User regular
    Paramount was great until the last night where I got a family with small children next to me who decided to keep trying to open the door that adjoins the room.

• JulietJuliet Registered User regular
    We stayed at the Sheraton and it was great!

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The Sheraton was awesome besides the fact there's almost no ventilation in the bathroom.

• BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The Westin is ok. Staff were great, room was solid, I didn't care for the shower though but that's cause I'm used to having my face blasted off by high pressure ship water. The showerhead in my room just sorta rains on you. Also the towel rack is in the shower which is just weird. The room's fridge is one of those "not actually a fridge" fridges which are just there to sell you drinks. I did get free WiFi though which is groovy and it was one of the cheapest options so there's that.

So far my top tier list is still Sheraton for the location and Hyatt for the bathrooms that you can park a car inside. of.

Westin was good for me. Same shower issues (apparently if you turn it to scolding hot, the water pressure increases ... ?). I called ahead after reading about the minibars in reviews. At checkin, I just asked them to deliver a fridge to my room. It's only a $5 surcharge (one-time, entire stay). I was able to put drinks and stuff in there (don't touch the minibar or the strange canned Snickers...).

I think the walls are thick (noone complained about us being loud at 2am and couldn't hear anyone else in adjacent rooms). Elevators were always empty or nearly empty (besides one time, I think the convention hall had just closed). Nearby McDonalds when you're up at 10/11pm and wondering why nothing is open late at night (from Vegas, not used to everything closing).

BLaZuRE on
    PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    Fairmount Olympic was iffy IMO. The hotel was fantastic and worth the $$ but the parking wasn't. $35 a night is too much and it wasn't even "in house." They uses a Public Parking area across the street. Anyone know of a cheaper parking hotel?? Or are all the hotels this close to the convention center this costly?? If so then walking 2-3 more blocks to the convention to save $10 for parking dosnt seem so bad.

That's standard for overnight parking near downtown. If you really don't want to pay the parking, you can park at a park and ride and bus in from there. Most, if not all, of the parking lots in downtown that aren't attached to a hotel aren't 24-hours and the ones that are area also around the same price.

E6LkoFK.png

• mljonirmljonir Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Grand Hyatt this year.

I stay at the Grand Hyatt for all the Seattle conventions I go to and this is the first year I haven't gotten free wifi for any of them. I asked if there was free WiFi and they didn't give us the code... They just told us the pricing.. They did give us free redbull though.... But I would've preferred WiFi haha.

Grand Hyatt this year.

I stay at the Grand Hyatt for all the Seattle conventions I go to and this is the first year I haven't gotten free wifi for any of them. I asked if there was free WiFi and they didn't give us the code... They just told us the pricing.. They did give us free redbull though.... But I would've preferred WiFi haha.

Interesting. We checking in Thursday mid day and I didn't even ask. She just wrote the code on my cards. She only offered me the free redbull after the lady checking someone in next to her offered one to the person they were working with. I didn't see her offer any to the person before us, but I also didn't hear of the person refused it.

ZYseqtZ.png
  • HondaCivetHondaCivet Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Fairmont Olympic too. It's a very nice place but totally not my style, really "old money" and stuffy. Lots of cool services available but they all cost an arm and a leg so we didn't really partake. There wasn't much included except free wifi. The room was really super cold and the thermostat didn't seem to work. Probably should've called room service about that but we were always too tired, haha.

So yeah, totally fine place but not my style at all. I wouldn't actively avoid it or recommend against it but if I can try another place next year I will.

If you want your hotel's lobby to feel like something out of a spy movie then you should stay here though. :)

• DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    I was in the Paramount this year. It's been several years since I stayed there- last time, they were a lil' rude and hoity-toity about dealing with these nerdy types, and cleaning was lackluster (as we were getting ready for checkout we found a black orange under one of the beds. We didn't bring oranges. O.o)

This year was a vast improvement- super friendly staff, much cleaner space. The rooms are fairly small- especially the bathrooms- but not so much that you can't get comfy in them. There was a minifridge and free wifi- although the wifi was abit of a pain because you had to reenter the code every time you took the device out of the hotel. (Annoying wifi is better than none, though!) The pillows were actually good- I'm picky about pillows since sleeping on a bad one can trigger a migraine for me- it was nice to not deal with that. My favorite part- silly as it is- FULL SIZE SHAMPOO. My hair is a couple feet long and curly, and those lil' hotel bottles aren't enough for one shampoo, let alone a weekend. I was so, SO happy to see something I could use for once!

The only kind-of bad thing... I really don't think they planned their staffing right. We came early on Fri (6am) to use the luggage storage before check-in. There was only one guy handling that and the parking... which was fine, I doubt 6am is a busy time at most hotels. But when we checked out? There was still only one guy! This meant a line of people waiting to stow bags/get cars. I've been to enough WSCC conventions to know 10-noon on the last day is a big time for checkouts and such... I'm kinda surprised they weren't better prepared for that.

I'd totally stay again though- for the pillows and the shampoo. Funny the details you get hung up on, huh?

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I've stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 for 4 Primes in a row, still love the experience. Clean and organized room, friendly service, right outside the convention centre and a pretty solid restaurant on the ground floor to boot.

They started providing citrus water drinks and 10% off dining coupons in the lobby too, which was also nice!

"Perception is reality." -unknown