As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pin Presentation/Display solutions and pictures

• DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Alright just got done with trial one of shadow boxes. Here they are :
    eLHRQii.jpg?3
    yPZexVf.jpg?1
    QURscNW.jpg?1

So, a few notes and things I have learned before I put them up for final display-

* Frames are separated by when/how I got the pins. One for East 14, one for Prime 13, and the smaller one for Online.
    * The smaller frame is way too cramped, going to bump that up to another 12x12.
    * Having some issues with pins spinning a bit still, even in the foam core. I dont see any viable solutions to this however that do not have a chance of damaging the pin over time (glue, double sided tape etc)
    * With these, the bag is now completely barren, so either I will take some out and put them on the bag for future Paxes or the bag will also become tradables, Haven't decided yet.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I can't see your display. Can you make the images a little larger?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Love the East and Prime frames, but I agree the online one is a bit cramped. Awesome work though!

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I have this weird penchant for classification, things have to be classified in a specific way or I just go nuts. I've seen a lot of cool displays, and think I had one really cool one of my own. My biggest concern is that Pinny Arcade pins are open ended, so I got the East 14 set I acquired along with PAX mementos all framed together. I did this cuz I thought it would look, but moreover because it was a static set with a specific classification. I'm currently working on getting all the pins I got at Prime 13 set up and framed in a similar fashion.

That leaves me with the problem of what to do with the entirety of the rest of my pins. All of the affiliates and partners within Pinny Arcade are cool, but I am a Gabe/Tycho/Penny Arcade fan more than anything else. Knowing that there will always be more Gabe and Tycho pins, I just bought a cheap shadow box and started what will likely be a constant work in progress.

Qumaden on
  • CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    All right, finally got some of my pins framed! I bought four small shadow boxes months ago and only just got around to framing them.

Because they're so small, I could only get a fraction of my collection framed. I decided to organize them by theme, what looks good, and whatever odd metrics were floating around in my head. It's not 100% logical but this is how my brain sorted them.
    Here we've got the East '13 collection, kind of. I left out the Chandra pin, as I'd like to wait and frame a bunch of WotC pins together.
    ig70h27kqx0t.jpg

This is my Eyrewood collection, with the Lookouts and Hanna.
    ki2iqiswgrrb.jpg

Then there's what I think of as the Penny Arcade frame, which is just the core set, the 15th Anniversary pin, and the Pinny Arcade Logo.
    6vu3xo2hjn2c.jpg

I'm really happy with how these came out. They look clean and organized. I think in the future I'll keep splitting them into small batches, even if it's more expensive to get that many frames. I'd like some bigger frames for sets like the staff heads and behemoth pins. Eventually I plan to get all of my pins framed, though it may be a while if some pins feel "miscellaneous" in my head and have no logical group. A lot of the PAX partner pins feel that way to me and I may just get two big frames and have '13 partners and '14 partners framed as two sets. This is not a scientific process.

As far as assembly, these were kind of a hassle. The black backing is white foam core that I spray painted-- not the simplest solution. In the future I'll likely use black foam core. The frames originally had a spacer that sat between the glass and the backing, but it was too tall with the foam core. Instead, I spaced the foam core from the back by stacking some short pieces of balsa wood back there, about 3/4" tall. that pushed the foam and the pins close to the glass and kept everything secure. Everything is attached inside with some random hobby glue I found in a cabinet (you can tell I know what I'm doing). The important thing is that the pins are accessible and removable, even if I've vandalized the frame a little bit.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
    Cowpuppy wrote: »
    All right, finally got some of my pins framed! I bought four small shadow boxes months ago and only just got around to framing them.

Because they're so small, I could only get a fraction of my collection framed. I decided to organize them by theme, what looks good, and whatever odd metrics were floating around in my head. It's not 100% logical but this is how my brain sorted them.
    Here we've got the East '13 collection, kind of. I left out the Chandra pin, as I'd like to wait and frame a bunch of WotC pins together.
    ig70h27kqx0t.jpg

This is my Eyrewood collection, with the Lookouts and Hanna.
    ki2iqiswgrrb.jpg

Then there's what I think of as the Penny Arcade frame, which is just the core set, the 15th Anniversary pin, and the Pinny Arcade Logo.
    6vu3xo2hjn2c.jpg

I'm really happy with how these came out. They look clean and organized. I think in the future I'll keep splitting them into small batches, even if it's more expensive to get that many frames. I'd like some bigger frames for sets like the staff heads and behemoth pins. Eventually I plan to get all of my pins framed, though it may be a while if some pins feel "miscellaneous" in my head and have no logical group. A lot of the PAX partner pins feel that way to me and I may just get two big frames and have '13 partners and '14 partners framed as two sets. This is not a scientific process.

As far as assembly, these were kind of a hassle. The black backing is white foam core that I spray painted-- not the simplest solution. In the future I'll likely use black foam core. The frames originally had a spacer that sat between the glass and the backing, but it was too tall with the foam core. Instead, I spaced the foam core from the back by stacking some short pieces of balsa wood back there, about 3/4" tall. that pushed the foam and the pins close to the glass and kept everything secure. Everything is attached inside with some random hobby glue I found in a cabinet (you can tell I know what I'm doing). The important thing is that the pins are accessible and removable, even if I've vandalized the frame a little bit.

I really like the small frames. I love my East 14 framed set, but it is definitely huge. Having small themed sets that you like the way you did is pretty sweet looking.

• BrewtiConBrewtiCon Registered User regular
    @cowpuppy yeah the small groups look pretty cool together like that. Great job.

Take a look at my pins
  • el pezel pez Registered User new member
    Cowpuppy, that looks great.

I plan on splitting some of the themed sets into smaller frames, and then having a couple larger mass frames.

I want to keep it a mix of "this is a neat theme" and "holy crap that's a lot of pins"

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Are those frames from Michael's?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Diffusion wrote: »
    Alright just got done with trial one of shadow boxes. Here they are :
    eLHRQii.jpg?3
    yPZexVf.jpg?1
    QURscNW.jpg?1

So, a few notes and things I have learned before I put them up for final display-

* Frames are separated by when/how I got the pins. One for East 14, one for Prime 13, and the smaller one for Online.
    * The smaller frame is way too cramped, going to bump that up to another 12x12.
    * Having some issues with pins spinning a bit still, even in the foam core. I dont see any viable solutions to this however that do not have a chance of damaging the pin over time (glue, double sided tape etc)
    * With these, the bag is now completely barren, so either I will take some out and put them on the bag for future Paxes or the bag will also become tradables, Haven't decided yet.
    So I'm just curious what you used as the backing? Did you just put black foam board into the shadowbox before putting the pins in? This is something I was considering doing so I'm curious if this is how it'd look or if you stuck the pins in another way. I was looking at the 11*14s at Michaels and they're pretty huge but might just be right for my collection.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    Thanks for the compliments everyone! :D

@redfield85 They're actually from Target. They weren't very expensive, and unfortunately it shows-- they aren't very well constructed and I have a fourth frame I didn't post because the frame is actually pulling apart and I need to repair it. Someday I'd like to replace them with nicer ones but at the moment these will do to keep costs down.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Michaels has sales on frames all the time. Keep an eye peeled if you are in the market.

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Does anyone use the poster that was released at Xmas last year to display?

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you look on the first page you can see that I used some of it.

• mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Nice work!

I've been planning on re-doing mine for a while now since I noticed the cardboard had warped outwards in the shadowbox, plus I want to update it with new pins. I've found some potential materials to replace it at the hardware store yesterday, including a 1cm thick fabric pinboard material. Not sure if I'll use that as I like putting the original backs on the pins.

I really liked the idea of the smaller shadow boxes for pin display. I love my enormous East 14 display I had done, but well, I don't have the wall space to do that every year. Since it's all about Gabe and Tycho for me, I started this. It's a work in progress, and since it's not sealed like the ones done professionally, I can always adjust. I'm saving spots for the Prime 14 Gabe and Tycho, Aus Gabe and Tycho, and I need to pick up an extra broodax Gabe while I'm at Prime as well!

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    What I do with mine is take a big piece of foam-core, and use that to stick my pins in, gonna put em up in a frame when I have a chance, but as of now, have them standing up in a shelf.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Check out this kick-ass 2" lanyard my co-worker made for me! I just need the 80's Gabe and Tycho pins to put next to the Baby Gabe and Tycho Tot, and it's complete :). And yes, I know... The DLC has them too... But that's not leaving the house lol

kpp37z0d6hva.jpg

Frostbyte on
  • FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    BTW, she makes custom lanyards... So if anyone is interested in having one made, PM me :)

• darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

M current pin frame before prime. I'm already have 3 frames done. Which isn't bad at All.
    All the LE pins are on the bottom. I figure why not having them together. I will add the 10 year prime and 10 year aus.
    Also I'm in love with this frame size not to big and not to small. I had a smaller one on my first go. But I know I'm in this to win it.

darkinfero on
    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Figured I'd put this here. This is how I'm displaying all my trade pins for Prime. Everything's on the scarf, with a section of Lookouts just to trade for staff pins. Plus three cats on my lanyard, because cats. Also here is my cheat sheet, because why not.
    SzmMXFK.jpg?1

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    @darkinferno What are you using to secure the cards to the foamcore/backing? Or are you pushing the pin all the way through with the card there as well?

• darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    @darkinferno What are you using to secure the cards to the foamcore/backing? Or are you pushing the pin all the way through with the card there as well?

The backing has space to fit the pin. The first smaller shadow box I had to force it thru the cardboard. This one it stays in the fabric.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • odinson83odinson83 CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    @Serpicobc How did you get the Cthulhu dice pin already?

odinson83 on
    Guessing it's the non-pinny version that came out months ago.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    odinson83 wrote: »
    @Serpicobc How did you get the Cthulhu dice pin already?

Good eye.

And yes, @fishfishmonkeyhat is right. Non-canon pin. I just dug it, so I put it on for now. I'll probably take it off and wear it on my tshirt once I'm in the hall. Don't want to confuse anyone.

Just redid my shadow box, with some spaces for upcoming pins.

Think it looks shit without the coloured cardboard behind them, but I can fit so many more in this way.

Honestly think I'd rather put most in a pin binder and just put the harder to get ones in here.

WTB news about official binder PST

So, back from PAX and filled with Pins and Vinegar...

I got my arrangement set up for my Prime 14 set, and it's gonna be something like this

The pins are going to be arranged in that setup and will be on the dark blue matte while the shirt with just the logo will be inset as well as the badge, the logo pin and the 10th pin with logo patch. will be in their own inset. The pins will be evenly distributed along the bottom in that formation, with a few pins location in the formation changing in the final product.

I got home and called upoin the entire extent of my ability to produce anything tangible and aesthetically pleasing. The resulting 3rd grade arts and crafts project looks like this for my Gabe and Tycho pins.

• mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular
    www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/signature.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to come up with a good way to display all of the 2014 pins on one big ass display, but I sort of want to wait until the year is over before I tackle it... urgh...

• MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Here's my display for Prime '14. It's a basic 16x20 canvas with all the pins from Prime, minus The Order and plus Light Garruk (I needed to have Garruk's face complete more than I needed to have only the Prime pins on the display), and with space for my 4-day and forum badges.
    XiOJvjv.jpg

ItrVoTt.png
  • teeketchteeketch MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    s26g5lkp9qnc.jpg
    This is my collection. I consider myself a pretty casual collector (Only really getting pins I like and such) Also sorry for the crappy cellphone shot and flash which blacked out the pinny arcade logo pin. Also my extras aren't pictured here. The frame is a brushed dark wood, looks almost like beach wood with a glass front and magnets on the inside to keep the front closed.

Reading the phrase casual collector and seeing that DLC pin makes my heart hurt. Still cool though!

• teeketchteeketch MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Haha it was the first pin I ever got. Then I saw the merch set at East 13 so I grabbed that and sort of got others here and there since. It wasn't until this year's East that I found out how rare it (DLC) was from a gentleman in the line for the trading event. I say casual as I basically only grab PA character specific pins or ones for games I like. I don't feel any compulsion or desire to have a complete collection. But I'm glad I found the forums as it's cool to see how passionate others are about pins :smile:

• seawolvenseawolven Registered User new member
    edited September 2014
    I debuted my Pinny Arcade Pin sash at Prime while working in the Age of Empires booth (you can see it in my profile picture). Got lots of positive comments but ran into the "pin backs falling off" problem. I ran duct tape on the back of the sash to keep them backs from falling off and then the pins shot out the front! The 3rd day I added a layer of plastic wrap which kept them all on. I've since ordered locking pin backs and will see how many pins I can fit on for the next show.

seawolven on
  • 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    seawolven wrote: »
    I debuted my Pinny Arcade Pin sash at Prime while working in the Age of Empires booth (you can see it in my profile picture). Got lots of positive comments but ran into the "pin backs falling off" problem. I ran duct tape on the back of the sash to keep them backs from falling off and then the pins shot out the front! The 3rd day I added a layer of plastic wrap which kept them all on. I've since ordered locking pin backs and will see how many pins I can fit on for the next show.

I commented on the plastic wrap on Sunday. I actually thought it kinda looked cool. haha. Not only that it kept them from getting smudges or scratched. :)