As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giving to charity

2»

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is why I said "chances are", I didn't imply that *all* Christian organisations are fucking things up (hell, I often use Christian Aid as a source in research papers, so I'm not hating on them).

But carry on, its good to read more about charities doing things right, I've learned a lot from this thread.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I already gave to heart and stroke foundation earlier this month but it really seems like all the charity drives are coming out of the wood work now. Everywhere I go there's people on the streets asking for charity.

Is this charity month or something?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I already gave to heart and stroke foundation earlier this month but it really seems like all the charity drives are coming out of the wood work now. Everywhere I go there's people on the streets asking for charity.

I'm actually glad I switched to a cell phone recently. The last few months have taught me to be much more discerning with charities. The CCF only sends me a mailing once in a while. All the others I gave donations to started calling me every other week (Literally, every two weeks) looking for $200+ donations. And they'd politely harass you if you said 'no'. All of a sudden I really don't want to support any charities any more after that happened.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I donate to Heifer International, and also to the local humane society.

Catholic Charities actually funds some very useful programs, and you can direct your contribution somewhere specific, so all your money can go to helping a women's shelter and not to an abstinence-only program. They help people of all faiths and don't proselytize to the people they're helping . . . It's not like those programs that are all, "We will give you a meal, homeless person, but ONLY IF YOU LISTEN TO A SCRIPTURE PASSAGE", which always seemed like a very base thing for a charity to demand.

LadyM on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sorry if I jumped on you a bit Aldo, but I didn't want people to be scared out of donating to some very worthwhile charities for things that other charities might do. As LadyM was saying, a lot of religious organizations do good work that has nothing to do with religion.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »

In fact, yes it is. Over here in the Netherlands at least. Every week another charity goes door to door asking for donations.

Aldo on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I used to give to the Red Cross but after their 9/11 fiasco I no longer do it. Such a fucking waste.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Salvation army is a good place to donate old clothes and stuff. You can just leave them on the porch for pick up too.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, would buying a $100 laptop for $400 count?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2007
    I donate to the ACS whenever I have money to spare.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Salvation army is a good place to donate old clothes and stuff. You can just leave them on the porch for pick up too.

I do a lot of giving stuff to charity run thrift stores. I don't know how effective it is as a means of addressing social problems, but its a good way to get rid of usable stuff.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    an_alt wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    That may be, but a disturbing number of them pretty much do nothing but sabotage efforts to enable families to control their fertility*, and preach old-school fire'n'brimstone guilt. And it works really well on poorly-educated, superstitious people who also happen to be pretty hungry. Not all christian charities are like this, so as you said, Do Your Research, but it is a well-known problem so don't get defensive when people point it out.

Well, dismissing all Christian charities is a retarded idea. I suspect that you'd get defensive if someone said that all women just want to find a rich guy to take care of them. It is a well known problem.

Maybe you'd have had a point if either of our posts said that, but both of us went to pains to emphasise that they aren't all like that and that one should do one's research. Its pretty bad form to completely ignore those sections of our posts in order to whine about how your people are so oppressed, or whatever.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg