As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo Scavenger

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this a farm but my current wish is to find some way to learn skills I don't start with via practice or something... It's kinda embarrassing having a bow and no clue how to make arrows for it. >_>

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There's something to be said for catching a deer while it's asleep, sneaking up and beating it to death with your bare hands before it can get up to run.

What's to be said is that I'm going to eat well tonight.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this a farm but my current wish is to find some way to learn skills I don't start with via practice or something... It's kinda embarrassing having a bow and no clue how to make arrows for it. >_>

He did say earlier in this thread that there are learn-able skills.

So I'm at a point in this playthrough where things just don't fuck with me. Ever. I'm not even sure how many days I've survived so far.

I'm wearing a dogman fur coat, a rifle on my back, a meat cleaver in one hand and a crowbar in the other. Most things flee as soon as they get within about 6 spaces just from sheer intimidation factor.

For those that don't, I have Strong, Tough, Melee, and Trapper. If I can't trip them, I can obstacle them. If I can't obstacle them, I can trap them. Either way, they're going to the floor and my meat cleaver is going to town.

Dog man tried to sniff me out while I was asleep, and I was able to get up, knock him to the floor with a trap, and descend upon him with the meat cleaver. I ate well that night, my friends.

Dogmen are my food. Enfield Horrors are my snacks. I am the Neo Scavenger.

• dcfedordcfedor NEO Scavenger developer, Blue Bottle Games founder Wooded hills of BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey Folks!

I've teamed up with some other indie and open source devs for a reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything):

We are the game developers of Anodyne, Defender's Quest, Incredipede, and NEO Scavenger, and the developers of open-source game tools Haxe/OpenFL. Ask Us Anything.

If you're interested, swing on by!

• KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    dcfedor wrote: »
    Hey Folks!

I've teamed up with some other indie and open source devs for a reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything):

We are the game developers of Anodyne, Defender's Quest, Incredipede, and NEO Scavenger, and the developers of open-source game tools Haxe/OpenFL. Ask Us Anything.

If you're interested, swing on by!

Very cool! Thanks for the insight into what y'all do!

edited April 2014
    My only gripe about this game so far are the one-hit deaths where you just never get a chance to make a move. When you are surviving 4+ weeks perfectly fine just for the game to fade out on the first turn of an encounter and tell you that you died...because reasons(the game fades out before you can even at least look and see why you died), that really grates on the fun times.

Donnicton on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, that's my biggest peeve with an otherwise addictive and incredibly fun game and unique game. I wish you could actually read your cause of death without it fading away immediately.

What skills do youse guys run? I've been pretty much unable to bring myself to use anything other than Ranged, Trapping, Electrician, and Lockpicking for a few (real life) days. I've tried noncombat/stealth builds and boy do those ever not work.

It seems to me you absolutely need, at a bare minimum, either Melee or Ranged and Trapping, because good luck getting to
    the DMC
    without fire or being able to make weapons. So that only leaves 2 slots for other skills, many of which I like the sound of, but haven't managed to reach
    Detroit
    with or are made redundant by the other skills or easy to find items.

I also really like the idea of taking handicaps for more skills, but it seems the costs are way too great for the benefits.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • dcfedordcfedor NEO Scavenger developer, Blue Bottle Games founder Wooded hills of BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I agree with you guys on the Game Over screen's current limitations. Getting some more info onto that screen is something I've earmarked for later, if I can find time. My to-do list is way bigger than my bandwidth, but this is something I may "just do anyway," perhaps even after launch.

That screen has potential to tell quite a bit of story on it's own!

Hooray update! Curious about resolution but experimenting and.......dead in 6 hours due to hypothermia....I think that's a record.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Finally got around to checking this out. Time clubbed me at 2am into unconsciousness.

First few tries I had a few false starts not making it more than 15 tiles. On the new man, I'm rolling with crowbar have a bow hanging off my back, got everything (I think) I need to live off the land. I've made it a pretty far east.

Highlight of some of my experience: Had 3 hexes next to each other of city cells with multiple scavenge points, and a forest cell below them connecting. As I dove in to the first and cleared a couple buildings, a couple bandits closed in. One engaged me but he got scared and ran, I couldn't catch up. Second one, I beat sideways with my crowbar.

After clearing the rest of the city hexes, I check decide to try and camp in the forest tile next to the city. Turns out, it was the bandits camp. Looks like they were eating people and having scared them off, all the food went bad. Which was really too bad, I'm near starved and out of food. I did however discover a squirrel trap in one of the towns and hopefully will eat well tonight.

I am very impressed with this game, it's like a narrative combat which is truly unique (or I haven't seen much of it).

What do you guys roll with skill wise? Since I was getting wrecked in combat in the beginning (before I knew I could get branches in the forest), I went Melee, Tough, Trapping, Strong.

EDIT: Thanks for breaking my FTL Fever. This is just what the doctor ordered.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    Ranged, medic, trapping, botany, insomianc, and I'm waffling on the 5th skill.

Question: Is there an easy way to manipulate your camp with items?

Example: I had a sleeping bag in the sled, noisemaker in the backpack. Is there any hotkey or something to use all camp items in a camp instead of dragging between windows? So far its the only annoyance I've found.

steam_sig.png
    Besides using the keyboard shortcuts, I don't think so.

Question: Is there an easy way to manipulate your camp with items?

Example: I had a sleeping bag in the sled, noisemaker in the backpack. Is there any hotkey or something to use all camp items in a camp instead of dragging between windows? So far its the only annoyance I've found.

Just put both of them on the ground and it counts as being in the camp without you having to go to the camp window.

Awesome, glad you're enjoying it!

Just to add to the tips folks have already given here, you can use the "R" and "V" hotkeys while dragging to speed up transferring items. And Donnicton's point is valid, even if it does put you at risk of attracting looters :) (AI can see items on the open ground from afar, but they only see items in camp once they arrive in the hex. And there's a chance they'll miss the camp, based on camp's concealment stat.)

edited April 2014
    Yea, thanks for that.

I knew about the camp vs ground vision after digging around on the steam forums.

I ended up scrapping that first (real) game last night after I:
    A ) couldn't gain ground on my starvation from squirrels.
    B ) never got attacked by dogmen ever, except the initial one.

Spoiler on first encounter:
    I'm not sure if it is because I locked the first dogman into the exam room.

I was also wondering, I noticed talk of using the starting location, the back room as a camp. But I can't seem to camp back there. I'm not sure if it was changed in a recent build or something. That part confused me, so I just ended up storing my stuff in my camp on that hex.

EDIT: Also, thanks for making this game, it's a real great piece of work.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    dcfedor wrote: »
    Awesome, glad you're enjoying it!

Just to add to the tips folks have already given here, you can use the "R" and "V" hotkeys while dragging to speed up transferring items. And Donnicton's point is valid, even if it does put you at risk of attracting looters :) (AI can see items on the open ground from afar, but they only see items in camp once they arrive in the hex. And there's a chance they'll miss the camp, based on camp's concealment stat.)

Wait so does this mean that I can conceal myself better while camping if I just took every object in the tile and shoved it into the camp site box?

Or even beyond that, hide items I don't want found or attracting attention in a camping box of a hex the looter AI wouldn't normally bother with, I.e. a forest square or the cryo lab?

Yea, thanks for that.

I knew about the camp vs ground vision after digging around on the steam forums.

I ended up scrapping that first (real) game last night after I:
    A ) couldn't gain ground on my starvation from squirrels.
    B ) never got attacked by dogmen ever, except the initial one.

Spoiler on first encounter:
    I'm not sure if it is because I locked the first dogman into the exam room.

I was also wondering, I noticed talk of using the starting location, the back room as a camp. But I can't seem to camp back there. I'm not sure if it was changed in a recent build or something. That part confused me, so I just ended up storing my stuff in my camp on that hex.

Did you try changing camp sites?

Did you visit the back room of the cryo lab?

Ah good point, I forgot to check that part last night, I always forget you can cycle buildings in the camp screen. Yes, I did go back there.

Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    I'm probably never going to not run with camping.....although tough and melee....so tempting.

I'm probably never going to not run with camping.....although tough and melee....so tempting.

Strong tough melee and trapping will win you almost any fight that you can get up close on shy of the annoying insta-dead combat rolls that kill you outright(shot/stabbed). I can walk across the wasteland demolishing everything that I hit first. I no longer really have to deal with injuries from combat because I either flatten them or I'm outright killed - and as mentioned before, it's due to instant death combat rolls that happen usually from getting shot or stabbed. (Those have been my only source of death for several games now going 30+ days a game)

They're also scarily effective survival tools as well since melee lets you make spears(best/only range 3 melee weapon and nasty as a result), and trapping lets you trap squirrels(hide for gloves, not actually much good for food unless you're desperate), make gloves, make noise traps, make a dogman fur coat(amazing at the start of the game after overpowering the dogman with strong and melee - yes, use both at the same time during that event and see what happens) , set a brutally effective attack in melee, cure meat and make a fire without a lighter.

Along with trapping, once you figure out that having a pot or a can is an easy gateway to practically limitless clean water, I like to take metabolism so I can take an additional fifth skill without really noticing the penalty much at all.

I would like to see other types of traps though, more lethal map-set ones that you could use to lure in dogmen or deer. ...or looters.

I just want to protect my camp. I usually go nomadic cause I can't hoard anywhere.

I'll admit I'm a total hoarder. I also noticed the main screens promotion of project zomboid which I also enjoy. I am the worst hoarder in that game. The worst.

steam_sig.png
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Wait so does this mean that I can conceal myself better while camping if I just took every object in the tile and shoved it into the camp site box?

Or even beyond that, hide items I don't want found or attracting attention in a camping box of a hex the looter AI wouldn't normally bother with, I.e. a forest square or the cryo lab?

Pretty much! At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. When the AI is deciding where to go next, AI with "looter" behavior will look for hexes with valuables on the ground, if no enemies are around. So if you clear the ground, they're less likely to target the hex.

My pleasure! I'm thrilled you're enjoying it so much!

How do i I recharge electrical items now?

How do i I recharge electrical items now?

Go to the outskirts of the city where the power taps are and "use" them to generate more electrical charge.

Protip: islab batteries are the best power storage solutions in the game for held charges relative to bag space used. Carry around one of those to power your other devices for extended trips. (iirc they can even be held in cargo pant pockets)

Got the camp thing figured out. I had to enter it, and activate the camp tab to make it available to switch too.

The hilarious part of the whole situation, the camp was originally placed on the ground outside. It pretty much turned into a blood bath on and around the hex. I haven't even walked 10 tiles out, because it's been a murder fest. I hear you can talk to people but I'm pretty sure I'm treating it as a murder simulator.

steam_sig.png
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    You can talk to those people? I always thought they were just walking meals.

I know who I'm avoiding/murdering first in the apocolypse
    They were added recently, I'm had mixed luck in dissuading people from murder.

Survival Time: 2 days, 13.81 hours.
    Player has died due to acute bleeding in the lungs.

Final Moments:

Player is exposed to easy attack for a moment.
    Bad Mutha launches a flurry of attacks at Player...and hits!
    Bad Mutha needs a moment to recover before acting again.
    Player needs a moment to recover before acting again.
    Bad Mutha gashed Player's lower left arm with a broad spear stab.
    Player is stunned and unable to move for a moment.
    Player is unconscious.
    Player has fallen to the ground, and must regain footing to continue.
    Player has passed out from unbearable pain.
    Bad Mutha shredded Player's lower chest with a broad spear stab.
    Player has a fractured rib.
    Player is coughing up blood.
    Player is bleeding internally.
    Bad Mutha shredded Unknown Target's lower chest.
    ** End Turn **
    It is now Dusk
    ** End Turn **

Player has trouble staying asleep, and sleep is less restful.
    Player is skilled in ranged combat. Player can engage at longer range than most, and ranged weapons degrade slower.
    Player is knowledgeable in plants.
    Player is skilled in trapping and snares.
    Player can see distant objects better than most people.
    Player is skilled in medical procedures, which increases rate of recovery from wounds.
    Player's hunger is sated.
    Player's thirst is slaked.
    Player is unburdened by what Player is carrying.
    Player has a normal circulation of blood.
    Player's immune system is healthy.
    Player has not acted significantly more evil nor good.
    Player is wearing the protective talisman.
    Player knows that the creature coming down the hall was a dogman.
    Player has previously returned to the cryo facility.
    Player has previously discovered exam room 17.
    You have contracted gastroenteritis.
    Player has already taken the sleeping bag from the car.
    Player is comfortable.
    Player is well-rested.
    Player is unconscious.
    Player has contracted pneumonia.
    Player is bleeding internally.

I love this newest build

As long as you can start a fire and have at least a can(if not a pot), you should never have an excuse for catching something from water.

Though I myself have had runs where I just don't see cans/pots ever.

edited August 2014
    Holy shit, I was sick?

new death
    Survival Time: 12.04 hours.
    Player has died of a severe traumatic brain injury.

Final Moments:

** End Turn **
    Bad Mutha gets up.
    Player attacks Bad Mutha...and hits!
    Player scratched Bad Mutha's lower left leg with a sharpened spear stab.
    ** End Turn **
    Bad Mutha is bleeding.
    Player scratched Bad Mutha's upper left arm with a sharpened spear stab.
    Bad Mutha unloads on Player, pinning them down!
    Player is pinned by suppressive fire, and unable to move or use ranged attacks.
    Player is taking cover, and is harder to hit with ranged weapons.
    Bad Mutha slashed Player's head with a compound bow w/crude broadhead.
    Player removed a barbed object from their wound.
    Player's head was cut.
    Player has a concussion, and is somewhat disoriented.
    Bad Mutha slashed Player's head with a compound bow w/crude broadhead.
    Unknown Assailant lacerated Unknown Target's upper chest.
    ** End Turn **

Player is barefoot, and cannot travel as easily.
    Player is skilled in ranged combat. Player can engage at longer range than most, and ranged weapons degrade slower.
    Player is skilled in medical procedures, which increases rate of recovery from wounds.
    Player is well-rested.
    Player has a normal circulation of blood.
    Player is not experiencing any pain.
    Player has moderate hypothermia.
    Player is pinned by suppressive fire, and unable to move or use ranged attacks.
    Player is taking cover, and is harder to hit with ranged weapons.
    Player has a concussion, and is somewhat disoriented.

I got hit once....once.

edit:
    Another one bites the dust.
    Survival Time: 23.79 hours.

Final Moments:

Bad Mutha is bleeding.
    Player grazed Bad Mutha's upper stomach with a multitool blade.
    Bad Mutha tries to attack Player...but misses!
    ** End Turn **
    Player is bleeding.
    Bad Mutha is bleeding.
    Player runs from Bad Mutha.
    Bad Mutha launches a flurry of attacks at Player...and hits!
    Bad Mutha needs a moment to recover before acting again.
    Bad Mutha carved into Player's upper left leg with a meat cleaver.
    Player is in severe pain, and is having trouble concentrating.
    Bad Mutha shredded Player's lower chest with a meat cleaver.
    Unknown Assailant gashed Unknown Target's upper left arm.
    ** End Turn **

Player is fighting off an infection.
    Player has moderate hypothermia.
    Player is well-rested.
    Player has lost blood, affecting their activities somewhat.
    Player is bleeding.
    Player is in severe pain, and is having trouble concentrating.

RoyceSraphim on
    Yeah gastroenteritis is from drinking infected water. You gotta either boil it or use purification tablets - don't just plunge your face into the swamp. :P

Survival Time: 10 days, 12.33 hours.

Final Moments:

Bad Mutha Leader gets up.
    Bad Mutha tackles Player.
    Bad Mutha has fallen to the ground, and must regain footing to continue.
    Bad Mutha is exposed to easy attack for a moment.
    ** End Turn **
    Player is bleeding.
    Bad Mutha gets up.
    Bad Mutha Leader launches a flurry of attacks at Player...and hits!
    Bad Mutha Leader needs a moment to recover before acting again.
    Bad Mutha Leader carved into Player's lower right leg with a meat cleaver.
    Player cannot run in combat.
    Player's right leg has been crippled.
    Player is unconscious.
    Bad Mutha Leader carved into Player's lower chest with a meat cleaver.
    Player: ...zzz...
    Bad Mutha Leader shredded Player's head with a meat cleaver.
    ** End Turn **

Player suffers from near-sightedness.
    Player is skilled at hacking.
    Player is athletic, and can move with less fatigue.
    Player is skilled in diagnosing and repairing machines.
    Player is skilled in hand-to-hand combat. Player is more effective when using melee weapons, and they degrade slower.
    Player has discovered the bank account info at cryo lab.
    Player is using an optical magnification device.
    Player is comfortable.
    Player is hungry.
    Player is drunk.
    Player is thirsty.
    Player's left arm has been crippled.
    Player is weary.
    Player has lost a lot of blood, and will likely need hospital care soon.
    Player is carrying a moderate load, and their movement rate is slower. Player also fatigues faster.
    Player is bleeding.
    Player's right leg has been crippled.
    Player cannot run in combat.
    Player is unconscious.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Just saw this on Rock Paper Shotgun - a fairly big patch went out a few days ago. The changelog is big but here is a summar:
    • New encounters
    • New weapons, clothes, and other items
    • New recipes
    • New Scavenge sites
    • New health hazards
    • DMC Sniper Replaced
    • New item sound effects
    • Loot and scavenge site rebalancing

Okay, either make it to the glow or find one of them soldiers and talk to them.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So there are a lot of new things in this game that are pretty neat. Among other things, you can now get Duffel bags now that you carry in your hand rather than dragging them around. They seem to carry a bit less than a good backpack but they can be better than hauling around a sled or a cart. Unfortunately since they are held bags only, you can't do the old crowbar-over-the-shoulder/spear/rifle combo. (they're also not large enough to hold a rifle or other large weapon however, you still want a vehicle.)

There are also video discs that you can shatter for plastic shards, as well as bags of potato chips.

There are also several changes to the skill system, where each beneficial skill and each detrimental skill have a skill point count and you have to balance them so you have 0 or more leftover skill points in order to make the character. This change also unfortunately means I can no longer go Strong/Tough/Melee/Trapping/Metabolism(negative), which is slightly annoying.

There's also a new detrimental trait which is called Enervated, which causes you to fatigue faster after encounters, and by being burdened. However I would suggest never picking it right now, because it's so punishingly overtuned that you can drop from nearly a full weariness bar to the red after a single encounter. In my experience, even in encounters that I overwhelmingly win or run from(it doesn't seem to matter much which) I'm forced to sleep after every encounter, which compared to its equivalent(metabolism) is crazy. If you're in a hostile area, you could end up in situations where you're locked into a fight-sleep-fight-sleep loop that's very difficult to get out of. (@dcfedor is this intended? It just seems so punishing for just the two points it grants.)