As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2014 PAX Australia Omeganauts Check in here

LtHummusLtHummus Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in PAX Australia
We few. We lucky (?) few. We band of Omeganauts!

The calls have gone out and a lucky (again, maybe not so much?) bunch of you have been selected to compete in a convention-long competition spanning the entire Universe of gaming! If you were one of the lucky ones, check in here to say hi. If you didn't get the call (next year, I guess), wish your Omeganauts luck as they compete (and be sure to check out the rounds because they'll probably have to play some crazy game and you can think to yourself "I'm glad it's not me up there").

Omeganaut FAQ

Q: If I'm an Omeganaut, what should I keep in mind?
A: Don't freak out. Don't lose control of your bodily functions on stage.

Q: I got the call and said yes. It seems like I can jump a bit higher and run a bit faster.
A: This is a known side effect. If it lasts for more than four hours, please see a licensed physician (thanks Sary for that reminder)

Q: OMG WHAT IS THE FINAL GAME?
A: Nobody knows, but some potential games are:

- Dental floss relay
- Gargle water and sing in Rock Band at the same time
- Knife eating

Good luck Omegas, we're all counting on you.

Known 2014 PAX Australia Omeganauts:

@purple_alicorn
@Nefily
@the_liberator
@Jazzy
@eskilla
@Temptuz
@DasGuntLord01
@SabastianRiley
@IsaKiko

LtHummus on

• Options
    purple_alicornpurple_alicorn Registered User new member
    Well it appears that I may be one of the lucky chosen ones ;)

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    Me too :D so excited

• Options
    the_liberatorthe_liberator Registered User new member
    edited September 2014
    I too am one of the lucky few.
    I missed PAX Aus last year, and was really looking forward PAX, let alone the Omegathon.
    Also, shaking uncontrollably, silently mortified, and telling everyone I know.

the_liberator on
  • Options
    JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, got a call from Mr Khoo this morning to tell me I'm an Omeganaut thingy... and told him about the powerpoint I was putting together. He seemed to approve my 'minimal' approached.

Unbelievable.

Also, edit, does this mean I need to practice?

Jazzy on
    Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    I've had several goes at explaining what the Omegathon is to people and why I'm stoked and amazed. Translator required.

Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    LtHummusLtHummus Registered User regular
    Jazzy wrote: »
    I've had several goes at explaining what the Omegathon is to people and why I'm stoked and amazed. Translator required.

Yeah, the Omegathon is kind of tricky to explain. You can't make it sound too exciting, though, or you'll end up like me where my parents (with friends they invited over ?!?) watched me lose the final round on the livestream.

• Options
    the_liberatorthe_liberator Registered User new member
    Jazzy wrote: »
    ... and told him about the powerpoint I was putting together. He seemed to approve my 'minimal' approached...

I realised after talking to Robert that 'holy amaze balls, Robert just asked me to be an Omeganaut', but that in conversation I was a stunned man standing in the corner of a restaurant.

• Options
    Ha yeah, I started babbling about the presentation I had on in the next hour.

Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    eskillaeskilla Perth, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    edited September 2014
    I am one of the Omeganauts! Super excited! Immediately told my boyfriend, then all my friends, then my family (who didn't understand, but were politely happy anyway).

I'd link you to my social media, but I don't really do them that much :neutral_face: I have a dead twitter account and an 'only if I know you IRL' Facebook, that's kinda it :disagree:

I'm an American that's been living in Perth for over a decade, so I consider myself to be representing Perth :smile:

eskilla on
  • Options
    TemptuzTemptuz Registered User new member
    First time going to PAX and got the call!!! WHOOOOOPPPPPP!!! GLHF ALL and see yas on the stage :smiley:

• Options
    Hmm, prize is a trip to PAX South or PAX East. Pretty sweet! Or cash. Sweet cold cash. I was planning to head to PAX Prime next year already.

Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    DasGuntLord01DasGuntLord01 Registered User new member
    Can someone help me? I've been accepted, but the email asks:
    Take a sweet picture of yourself.
    We need a 4x4 Headshot at 300dpi 1200x1200 pixels.

I understand what that mostly means, but what do they mean by 4x4? Do they mean like your passport photos? And if so, why do they need that if I'm sending them a digital photo that they can manipulate any way they like?

• Options
    SabastianRileySabastianRiley Youtuber Gamer Reviewer BirsbaneRegistered User regular
    Oh heyy guys I'm Luke Larney, I here there is a competition a brewing and the great (insert ancient omnipotent monster) in the sky wants me in this competition well I answered yes and shouted it from the top of the mountain so yeah sup,

In reality, i got the call at work and could hardly hear what was happening but i heard Australian and just kept saying yes, while my manager was glaring me down for being on the phone

also I am a youtuber who goes by SabastianRiley so i'm going to be recording some stuffs :)

• Options
    Can someone help me? I've been accepted, but the email asks:
    I understand what that mostly means, but what do they mean by 4x4? Do they mean like your passport photos? And if so, why do they need that if I'm sending them a digital photo that they can manipulate any way they like?

I think enough so that at 4" by 4" it would be 300 dpi which is the same as 1200 x 1200 px.

Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah sorry, when we say 4x4 we basically mean 'a square image' :)

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm sending some high res photos taken by a photographer friend so should be okay hopefully. Sadly she's not a miracle worker so I'm still an ugly bastard.

Jazzy on
    Moon Wizard.
  • Options
    IsaKikoIsaKiko Registered User new member
    Another Omeganaut checking in.
    I'm excited and a bit terrified... but mainly excited!
    GLHF, everyone!

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yug wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, when we say 4x4 we basically mean 'a square image' :)

"Man it's really weird how many of the Omeganaut pictures seem to feature Landcruisers for some reason?"

• Options
    SabastianRileySabastianRiley Youtuber Gamer Reviewer BirsbaneRegistered User regular
    Hey guys I was wondering with the photo what kind of pose are we supposed to do? are we doing a deer in headlights, looking lovingly off into the distance, thinking man, angry eyebrows or a gentle smile ???

• Options
    KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    Hey guys I was wondering with the photo what kind of pose are we supposed to do? are we doing a deer in headlights, looking lovingly off into the distance, thinking man, angry eyebrows or a gentle smile ???

Whatever you like, really! Scattered around PAX there will be boards showing all the Omeganauts... with increasing numbers of crosses through the pictures showing who has been knocked out. So whatever you don't mind -everyone- seeing.

Dominic
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I sent through four photos, let them take their choice.

Moon Wizard.