As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prime 2014 Pin Trading Feedback

2»

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    adambarg wrote: »
    Something that struck me last weekend was how often the term "trash pins" was used to refer to common online store pins. Can we agree to call this something else?

Not only is it inaccurate, it can be off-putting to brand new collectors who don't yet have the vast hoards of convention pins to draw on.

I haven't come across that term, but I'm guessing it's descended from MMOs and "Vendor trash".

Trade fodder is the more common name on these boards, since they are the cheapest way to trade with Staff. I think the Disney collectors use that too.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    "Fodder" is a heck of a lot nicer than "trash," as far as terms go. Even if the pins are common, they're still of high quality, cool-looking and fun to trade. Fodder represents that a lot more than trash.

• Options
    DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    The actual pin trading area could do with a bit more order. It wasn't such a big issue for myself (6 foot 3" dude over 200 lbs), but I know my wife basically didn't participate very much because it was difficult to get a space at any table, and I saw other women and smaller people have trouble as well. I let one woman in front of me, as she was unable to get at a table at all, and was frustrated.

• Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was a bit baffling why it wasn't set up like a procession from one end of the tables to the other. Could have seen way more people and kept the line moving.

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    I hate to say it, but as much as I love that Khoo and others do the mystery pin games, I think those greatly contribute to the congestion and lack of rapid movement from the tables.

• Options
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but as much as I love that Khoo and others do the mystery pin games, I think those greatly contribute to the congestion and lack of rapid movement from the tables.

This wouldn't be a problem if the tables were more spread out.

• Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Like Qumaden said, the area at East seemed a little more organized, and well spaced, but I'll chalk this year up to the fact that there was a signing happening adjacent to the pin trading line.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

Mnn, good point. Maybe they can do the random pin games at a separate table run by an enforcer or something, so it can still be there, but doesn't get people clogging up the tables for the staff pin trading.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »

Mnn, good point. Maybe they can do the random pin games at a separate table run by an enforcer or something, so it can still be there, but doesn't get people clogging up the tables for the staff pin trading.

The nature of the games also required prep time, which the staff didn't really have, because they were also trading. Having the "1 for 2" blind box run by an Enforcer in the beginning of the line would have been really nice because it could potentially give everyone an extra fodder pin to trade on the way through the rest of the tables (for a 2nd corgi, obviously). Then the multi-person 4 box game that Mike was running at the end of the line so you finish up with a lottery?

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

They weren't constantly doing them, and each game took what... 2 minutes? That's time to hit the other person at the table or just another table in general and come back. Personally I loved the games and I wish I was able to do more than one.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Oh, one cool thing that was a bit unexpected at the pin trading event. Mike Fehlaur(sp?) saw my Club PA pin on my lanyard when I went to his table and said "Oh hey, you're a Club PA supporter, thank you!".

Just reminds me that these folks still retain a great perspective. They could be horrible people with bad attitudes, and I'd still buy their shit, but despite being as big(PAX/PA_Megacorp as a whole, not in terms of number of staff) as they are, they remain very grounded and little stuff like that makes me smile.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular

This was actually something I was thinking about doing on my own accord, but wasn't sure how it would be received. Bring an assortment of board games and such, some simple, some complex, and if you beat me, you win a pin. My collection nears its Zenith, so I won't really need "trade bait" and I have all these pins sitting around here doing nothing when they could be in someone elses hands who wants them or didn't have a chance to get them before. I've seen a lot of the pin hustlers and know the faces, so I could market it to the new folks just getting into pins and given them something neat...that the pin hustlers will promptly swoop in and try and take. Is that something that would be frowned upon by the PA staff or enforcers ya think?

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »

This was actually something I was thinking about doing on my own accord, but wasn't sure how it would be received. Bring an assortment of board games and such, some simple, some complex, and if you beat me, you win a pin. My collection nears its Zenith, so I won't really need "trade bait" and I have all these pins sitting around here doing nothing when they could be in someone elses hands who wants them or didn't have a chance to get them before. I've seen a lot of the pin hustlers and know the faces, so I could market it to the new folks just getting into pins and given them something neat...that the pin hustlers will promptly swoop in and try and take. Is that something that would be frowned upon by the PA staff or enforcers ya think?

I highly doubt it would be. You're essentially giving away pins while doing one of the things PAX is about(board games). I think they'd think it was a neat idea personally. :)

• Options

I'm trying to start trading my spares away, slowly, in exchange for a large collection of fodder to help my budget. Want last years Pins? I'll take multiples of Age Of Empires (this years Prime fodder Pin, apparently.) or similar.

I'm also giving people starter Pins. There was an Enforcer who wanted Jamies Corgi, but didn't have anything to trade. So I gave him the Lookouts Redhead and told him not to worry. More people collecting is a Good Thing.

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »

I'm trying to start trading my spares away, slowly, in exchange for a large collection of fodder to help my budget. Want last years Pins? I'll take multiples of Age Of Empires (this years Prime fodder Pin, apparently.) or similar.

I'm also giving people starter Pins. There was an Enforcer who wanted Jamies Corgi, but didn't have anything to trade. So I gave him the Lookouts Redhead and told him not to worry. More people collecting is a Good Thing.

I have been doing that also. I gave out a few sets out. To help people out and get people into trading.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The first hit is always free.

• Options
    gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ajaxon wrote: »
    RE: The Order... I was mentioned how non-random the "randomness" appeared to be to the merch guy (Brian?) he said that there were rumblings and he was going to look into it. I think that was Sunday. By Monday, I heard that the process changed. I guess we should have spoken up sooner?

That's correct. On Monday, they were giving away the Pin to everyone who played the Demo. Fri-Sat, it was a 25% chance to receive a Pin.

It was by far the most sought after Pin. I traded mine at the event for TWELVE other Pins (Pax East 2014 set, Pax Prime 2014 set, Pax Prime 2013 set). It was the last Pin this one gentleman was looking for. Then, on Monday, I went through the Sony line twice and grabbed two more pins, both of which sold on eBay for well over $60 dollars.

gacbmmml on
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    gacbmmml wrote: »
    I traded mine at the event for TWELVE other Pins (Pax East 2014 set, Pax Prime 2014 set, Pax Prime 2013 set).

Wow -- and we thought we got a good trade by getting a Tiamat and Prime Aniversary for our spare The Order.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    maywestmaywest Registered User regular
    I was at both East and Prime pin trades. I agree that the arrangement at prime was good, but more space between tables would be better. I did manage to do some trading on line at Prime ... I traded my Halloween set for a Leeroy, if I remember correctly. I always enjoy talking to people on lines, snaking the line could enhance this (I know we did trading on the snake line for the Merch Booth the first day, those of us there to get the Shield pin).

I didn't realize the space to the right of the Merch booth was a designated trading site, but I did stop by there often, and found trades I wanted. The best part of pin trading to me is meeting the people. The pins are nice (yes, I have a big collection), but for me it is as much about the memories. I hope we can all keep it pleasant, although I don't know how you can prevent the few rotten apples that try to grab all for themselves.

• Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    The Prime trading space was awesome. The timed entry worked well. Trading in line was great too. I didn't attend the East one (I missed the time), so I can't compare.