As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime LIVE Discussion. talk, brag, make us that arent going Jealous of all the pins!

13»

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    @Beker‌ I passed by you entering the trading event at the paramount and I didn't realize it until later, so I didn't get a chance to thank you. Thank you for Enforcing.

Highlights: Getting to meet people I've interacted with via the forums and assign a soul to the screen name. The plan was to work in tandem with @adambarg‌ , but he pretty much made that con his bitch to get not only the pins he wanted, but our AUS pin pal as well. I'm glad to have met him, and got really lucky with my Pin Pals group it seems.

The energy of the event, I can't really explain it, it's not quite tangible. The joy and positivity of that many people in one place just moves me to my core. I'm not a religious person or anything, but I guess I'm pretty sensitive to other peoples emotional states. Being literally surrounded by people just oozing all that joy just fuels me so much and amplifies my own happiness. My post PAX depression has already set in so I'm kind of emotional right now, don't judge me.

Two favorite pin related stories: Both happened on day 4, the first was regarding the 10th anniversary pin. I was trying to get as much footage of pins and pin trading as I could for Manic2K for the video he is making so I would stop by the merch booth in my wandering since the staff like to pop by there and trade pins with people. I was recording Kristin Lindsay trading with some folks and everyone left, so I was packing up my camera and about to move on when a couple come up and start talking to Kristin(they acted like they knew her, but a lot of people do, so who knows) so I thought it would be a fun chance for some more trade footage. Well, they trade her for her pin and then ask her if they knew anyone who had a tenth anniversary pin. Kristin was trying to direct them to places there might be people trading them, and the guy had this...I don't know how to describe it, almost visceral sense of desperation regarding the pin. So, I step in closer, apologize for interrupting and just ask him a few questions about his love of penny arcade and why the pin is so important to him. His emotional tone never once wavered and so, when he finished, I reached into my vest and produced my extra 10th anniversary pin. I handed it to him and said simply "It's dangerous to go alone, take this." His wife and Kristin started to tear up and he tried to hug me, I conceded a manly handshake, but I knew I had made the right choice in giving it to him.

This is me having a super fat face.

Second pin story, the con was about to wrap up an I pass by these two little kids dressed like Finn from Adventure Time and they were just balling their eyes out. Not the pouting, tired little kid crying, like, something genuinely wrong. So I reach into my vest yet again and produce and Adventure Time pin set I had purchased an extra of(I bought several because I thought they would be huge, I overestimated their value I believe). Popped off the Finn and Jake and gave them to the little kids and they stopped crying and then went off on my merry way.

I have a special place in my heart for the Moonrise pin. I love the pin itself, I love the art they had at their booth and they were all friendly at the booth. Also, they were using the pins in way in which they were intended, which means a lot to me. Unfortunately, I don't care much for the game. If it looks a lot better by release, I'll buy it. The Order pin I got very lucky on, I traded for one on the first day from a staff member, got one the legitimate way on Sunday and then ran into one of the guys who worked the booth in the airport terminal. He saw my Official Pinny Arcade Merch sign and gave me another pin. Which, for the record he had a bag full of them (about 30 by quick visual inspection) so either the possibility of them going on sale online or appearing at another PAX are very high since the release isn't until February.

• creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I ended up getting a full set except the Next Level and Order pins. Which is a shame because I wanted the Order one the most, but I didn't get lucky in the lines.
    Diffusion wrote: »
    - Wasn't surprised about Leeroy, the D&D &, and "Light" Garruk being the wanted pins this prime, but I was pleasantly shocked of the number of people asking for the Anubis-es and Ellie.
    Really? I had an Anubis on my lanyard most of the weekend and no one inquired about it.
    - Except Aus Chandra which WotC seemed to be giving out with a shirt purchase.
    :s Now this is frustrating. I probably asked half a dozen people about trading their Aus Chandra, but no one was willing to trade and no one mentioned they were available at the show.

creid8 on
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    @Beker‌ I passed by you entering the trading event at the paramount and I didn't realize it until later, so I didn't get a chance to thank you. Thank you for Enforcing.
    No worries I figured a lot of pin pals passed by that evening without me realizing it, such if life.

I was sitting behind Kristin by the window eating lunch when you gave up that 10th anniversary pin. It was an awesome moment, and even better now that I know who it was. The recipient was @ihorner I believe and the lady was @TallysTreasury. Not married, but fellow Canadians to Kristin and drivers for Desert Bus for Hope.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Beker wrote: »
    No worries I figured a lot of pin pals passed by that evening without me realizing it, such if life.

I was sitting behind Kristin by the window eating lunch when you gave up that 10th anniversary pin. It was an awesome moment, and even better now that I know who it was. The recipient was @ihorner I believe and the lady was @TallysTreasury. Not married, but fellow Canadians to Kristin and drivers for Desert Bus for Hope.

Really? That's awesome. Still glad to have helped him out, but now knowing that he does something that great makes me feel even better.

• brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

The Aus Chandras at WotC were apparently under 20 in number and up to the whim of the staff. I met a couple guys that were traveling together, the first got it free with a $15 purchase and the second went back but had to spend $30 for the same deal.

• creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    The Aus Chandras at WotC were apparently under 20 in number and up to the whim of the staff. I met a couple guys that were traveling together, the first got it free with a $15 purchase and the second went back but had to spend $30 for the same deal.
    Ah, interesting. I guess I'll have to inquire at East to see if they do something similar.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

And on Monday they told me it was $40.
    There were a few of the Magic staff that had extras they were trading. One girl I talked to said she just wanted cute pins. I got her to agree to trade one for a Catbug if I was able to come back Sunday morning. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it.
    But I eventually got one Monday evening when a Dad was desperately looking for a Prime 10th Anniversary Shield. He even threw in a Light Garruk. We were both happy.

IhtGIyi.png
  • DefaultGenDefaultGen Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • MozleronMozleron WotC Build engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Mozleron was warned for this.
    I'd like to say a huge Thank You to all the Pin traders i met over the weekend of PAX. Thanks to you, I did not have to play any of the Blizzard games, and was still able to complete my quest to get my pin pals their pins.

Here's a shot of what I brought home that I did not already have.

mod edit: removed img tags from oversized image
    Edit: Resized image and posted smaller version (only 449k this time, sorry about that)
    rd4h0bq4m7ww.jpg

EDIT:
    Thanks for the warning. Would it be possible to get a little reminder stuck into the Image Posting control that pops up so this sort of thing doesn't accidentally happen again?

Mozleron on
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Mozleron wrote: »
    I'd like to say a huge Thank You to all the Pin traders i met over the weekend of PAX. Thanks to you, I did not have to play any of the Blizzard games, and was still able to complete my quest to get my pin pals their pins.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/2f/8s1voyg04g6y.jpg

Are those all for you?! Holy crap dude, that's a haul.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Mozleron wrote: »

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/2f/8s1voyg04g6y.jpg

Looks like 2 sets, 1 for each pin pal, and then everything else is extra.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    The Blizzard games were some of the best games I played for Pins. Man i want in that Heroes of the Storm alpha so bad. It sucked that the lines were so long though.

I liked Sunset Overdrive the least out of the big name games and Moonrise was pretty tough to sit through but nice looking pin.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Very happy to see your sign made it back safely, how was getting it on your flight?

Very happy to see your sign made it back safely, how was getting it on your flight?

No issues at all, they stowed it in a little cabinet near the cockpit. I did however lose a pair of 200 dollar sunglasses because I was so distracted by the TSA rubbing it down and checking it through security.

• sanchx32sanchx32 Montoursville, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Was nice to see some people from here, ran into Qumaden a few times and was there for Konigwolfs mass collecting of Next Levels. I went there with about 40 pins to trade and a goal of not spending any money on pins. I was able to get all the new pins plus the Comic Con set and spent $0 all weekend on pins. Ended up with a little over 20 extras to take to Pax South. At the Pinny Panel I played Khoo's mystery game and won his face, when I played his game at East I won his face there too... kinda strange. 0d03k5puybdv.jpg

sanchx32 on
    pins.jpg 389.9K
    Digital Lanyard

“Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, 1999
    I'm definitely the "shut up and throw money at it" type of pin collector If I can't throw money at it, I try and use charm; if that fails I just cry, no one wants to see a grown man cry. I applaude your trading prowess!

• MozleronMozleron WotC Build engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I made sure to get 3x of everything. 1 for me, 1 for my PAX East pal, and 1 for my AUS pal. Anything above that is probably going to find its way to Australia to help secure the missing AUS 2013 set for my collection. :)

• NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    sanchx32 wrote: »
    Was nice to see some people from here, ran into Qumaden a few times and was there for Konigwolfs mass collecting of Next Levels. I went there with about 40 pins to trade and a goal of not spending any money on pins. I was able to get all the new pins plus the Comic Con set and spent $0 all weekend on pins. Ended up with a little over 20 extras to take to Pax South. At the Pinny Panel I played Khoo's mystery game and won his face, when I played his game at East I won his face there too... kinda strange. 0d03k5puybdv.jpg

Sheesh man, what 40 pins did you take with you to turn them into all that?

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Got a question about what to bring to PAX. Heading to AUS in a few months, I currently have about 15 good pins to trade, PLUS 3 to 4 online sets i'll use as trade fodder. Is that enough or should I order a few more online sets (i will be collecting for 3 people) and i'd rather have all my trading pins before the show and not buy them AT the show.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Got a question about what to bring to PAX. Heading to AUS in a few months, I currently have about 15 good pins to trade, PLUS 3 to 4 online sets i'll use as trade fodder. Is that enough or should I order a few more online sets (i will be collecting for 3 people) and i'd rather have all my trading pins before the show and not buy them AT the show.

You can do that. It shouldn't be that hard to make things happen.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    kinda missed what youre meaning, sorry......im tired :(

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    kinda missed what youre meaning, sorry......im tired :(

I saw a few people at prime that only traded with fodder and got everything.

My Pin collection
    edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • sanchx32sanchx32 Montoursville, PARegistered User regular
    NowHiringHenchmen it was just random pins from previous pax events, most of my rarer pins I still had at the end. Just needed some patience and realize that none of the pins were so rare, you would not see them again.

Digital Lanyard

“Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, 1999
  • FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    People traded you their ClubPA pins? lol

My Pin collection
    DefaultGen wrote: »
    This is what I ended up with. Happy I was able to fill out a few gaps in my collection in addition to getting all the pins here. (CTS, Table Top Tycho, a couple KI pins, Strip Search)

ppfMCHP.jpg

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, please tell me you're a Strip Search fan and don't plan on putting those on ebay or something lol.

This is what I ended up with. Happy I was able to fill out a few gaps in my collection in addition to getting all the pins here. (CTS, Table Top Tycho, a couple KI pins, Strip Search)

ppfMCHP.jpg

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, please tell me you're a Strip Search fan and don't plan on putting those on ebay or something lol.

I got 7 of those at prime.

My Pin collection
    darkinfero wrote: »

ppfMCHP.jpg

I got 7 of those at prime.

-_< GHKT!

edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

I needed tradebait! I'm in search of a bunch of older pins but never have anything to trade so this time I stocked up.

Check out pinnypals.com and you will hopefully fill the gaps in the collection.