As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pin Presentation/Display solutions and pictures

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular

I'm done so far I'm really for Aus pins and I"m going to need 2 more shadow boxes for Aus and South.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    @darkinfero‌ I'm curious as to the aesthetic choice for leaving the cardboard on in your display. Why do you do that?

• Options
    Qumaden wrote: »
    @darkinfero‌ I'm curious as to the aesthetic choice for leaving the cardboard on in your display. Why do you do that?

I have tried different solutions to make myself happy. I used my prime scarf to store pins but I didn't like it. Then I went to a pin binder and didn't like that either. I saw other people doing shadow boxes so I though to myself I should try it. I started putting pins in and I didn't like how it came out. Then I though let me do something different and leave the backings on and it stuck. It's that unique touch that I wanted like I bought the pin and they were on the backs.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Interesting.

I was going to do the card backs as well..but I started last night without them, and I really like how its looking so far. And looking at Dark's one, its just not popping like I was hoping, so I think I will stick for cardless as well.

• Options
    Everyone has their own style they find that works for them, and I think that's awesome. I was just curious as to why you think it looks cool, I just can't get on board with the cards.

• Options
    dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »

I'm done so far I'm really for Aus pins and I"m going to need 2 more shadow boxes for Aus and South.

Where do you get the additional backings for pins that did not come with a back (i.e. all the behemoth pins)? I too like to keep the pins on the backs and have yet to display any of my behemoth pins since I don't have any backings. All my behemoth pins are actually still in the balls from the machine.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    He has asked people here to donate any extra card backs they might have. Speaking of which, I have a ton if you need more @darkinfero‌.

• Options
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    He has asked people here to donate any extra card backs they might have. Speaking of which, I have a ton if you need more @darkinfero‌.
    I'm good for now cowpuppy helped me and I got what I needed from prime.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    The difference the card backs makes is colour. I see a lot of people going with the default black, which looks good most of the time but might not always work with some of the darker Pins.

I'll be mounting mine on off-white card, which hopefully will be enough to make a difference to the lighter Pins (Mummy Gabe, I'm looking at you).

• Options
  • Options
    cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know where Kenneth fits in the hiring lineup? I want to put the staff hobby pins in order of hire but they don't have the numbers on the back like the staff heads.

WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    cabbie98 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where Kenneth fits in the hiring lineup? I want to put the staff hobby pins in order of hire but they don't have the numbers on the back like the staff heads.

Kenneth is new second newest, with Dabe being the newest.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    dchoy was warned for this.
    I just threw this together. Just wanted to get a feel for setting up the shadow box and the backing. I'll probably do some more rearranging but I think it looks pretty clean.

zerzhul on

• Options
    dchoy wrote: »
    I just threw this together. Just wanted to get a feel for setting up the shadow box and the backing. I'll probably do some more rearranging but I think it looks pretty clean.

Clean is exactly the word I was going to use for it. Looks nice, I dig.

Also, make your bed.

• Options
    I will never make my bed, NEVER!

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular

Can you elaborate on where you got the frame and whatnot and what went into fixing it up (if there is anything besides the frame coming with a matte and just pushing in the pins)? I kind of like this frame/setup.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »

Can you elaborate on where you got the frame and whatnot and what went into fixing it up (if there is anything besides the frame coming with a matte and just pushing in the pins)? I kind of like this frame/setup.

I got the frame from Michaels. They are actually running a buy one shadow box get one free so I got 2 of the boxes for a total of $20. The box measures 11x14 and it comes with a mat as well as a frame divider so the items don't touch the glass. I purchased a three pack of black foam inserts at Michaels as well which I think was like $8. The only real thing I had to do was cut the foam insert so it would fit into the divider. Since the divider fits into the 11x14 frame, it has smaller dimensions than the overall frame. This means that there is no room for both the foam insert as well as the shadow box backing.

All I had to do was trace the wooden divider dimensions onto the foam insert and cut off the extra foam with a box cutter. I then pushed the foam insert into the divider so it will stay snug and not move. This allowed me to have both the foam insert as well as the shadow box backing fit into the frame. The only one issue I currently have is that the foam insert is too thick where the pin backs can't stay on the needle that pokes through. If I could somehow flatten the foam just a bit more (maybe like a mm or so) then I would be able to still have the black pin backs on there.

Michaels always has 30% or 40% coupons every week. I think this week they are running a 30% off. You just need to grab the newspaper ad, sign up for their weekly newsletter via email, or search the website for the coupon. I think I have an extra coupon if you would like one. Hope that helps!

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »

I got the frame from Michaels. They are actually running a buy one shadow box get one free so I got 2 of the boxes for a total of $20. The box measures 11x14 and it comes with a mat as well as a frame divider so the items don't touch the glass. I purchased a three pack of black foam inserts at Michaels as well which I think was like $8. The only real thing I had to do was cut the foam insert so it would fit into the divider. Since the divider fits into the 11x14 frame, it has smaller dimensions than the overall frame. This means that there is no room for both the foam insert as well as the shadow box backing.

All I had to do was trace the wooden divider dimensions onto the foam insert and cut off the extra foam with a box cutter. I then pushed the foam insert into the divider so it will stay snug and not move. This allowed me to have both the foam insert as well as the shadow box backing fit into the frame. The only one issue I currently have is that the foam insert is too thick where the pin backs can't stay on the needle that pokes through. If I could somehow flatten the foam just a bit more (maybe like a mm or so) then I would be able to still have the black pin backs on there.

Michaels always has 30% or 40% coupons every week. I think this week they are running a 30% off. You just need to grab the newspaper ad, sign up for their weekly newsletter via email, or search the website for the coupon. I think I have an extra coupon if you would like one. Hope that helps!

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll have to go browsing. I think I already get their emails or whatever.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I checked another arts/crafts store AC Moore and found a nice frame but didn't want to drop $80 on it. I'm gonna hit up a Michaels this weekend and maybe grab a frame to FINALLY start getting my pins on display.

I think I decided to do a 2013 frame and then a 2014 frame when that finishes... minus the Killer Instinct (because they're in the binder) and of course the DLC I'll never own.

• Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    There's another DLC on eBay for 500 starting, no bids yet! Don't give up hope ;)

Since I am collecting such a small number, I don't know if I will end up doing wall displays. I may try to do some sort of more permanent wearable display (I rather liked the sash idea from earlier)

• Options
    gn0xgn0x Arizona, USARegistered User regular
    I just got a 24x36 piece of cork board and attached the Pinny Arcade Poster to it. The 5 "open slots" on the bottom, I'm going to use for the 2013 core set and Pin Trader Badge.
    XgZluFi.jpg
    I have 2 display cases, one of which is complete. I took some land cards for the MTG pins, and I think it looks pretty good.
    9WS67lF.jpg
    (not thrilled with the 2nd display case so far... trying to incorporate a sweet home-made banner that Duckie gave me)

• Options
    cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    gn0x wrote: »
    I just got a 24x36 piece of cork board and attached the Pinny Arcade Poster to it. The 5 "open slots" on the bottom, I'm going to use for the 2013 core set and Pin Trader Badge.
    XgZluFi.jpg
    I have 2 display cases, one of which is complete. I took some land cards for the MTG pins, and I think it looks pretty good.
    9WS67lF.jpg
    (not thrilled with the 2nd display case so far... trying to incorporate a sweet home-made banner that Duckie gave me)

That Magic card backing is a really neat idea.

WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
  • Options
  • Options
    sudopoopsudopoop seattle, usaRegistered User regular
    This past weekend, I finally got around to making a display case for my pins! I cut an old amazon box in half, wrapped it in fabric, and pushed one half within the other to get the recessed effect. Surprisingly, the pins stick pretty well in the cardboard :)

08p5p8bcje4r.jpg
    gp53oikxzmq7.jpg

• Options
    Looking at your display makes me think I could have put a downpayment on a DLC eBay pin instead of spending all that on displays, and it would still look awesome. I dig it.

• Options
    gn0xgn0x Arizona, USARegistered User regular
    cabbie98 wrote: »
    That Magic card backing is a really neat idea.
    I was actually thinking about cutting them to match the shape of the Merchie pin cards.

• Options
    I finally took the plunge and bought a shadowbox for my pins yesterday. I've had an idea in mind for the organization for a while, but it was nice to finally get it laid out.

The only thing that screwed up my original plan was the distribution of the Garruk pins: I wanted East to be on the right side with Prime on the left... but whatever, now it's more chronological I guess instead. Anyways, once I get my Aus pins in I should have it near-finalized, though I'm going to hold out until the end of 2014 to see what else gets released, and in the end it SHOULD be a full 2014 set framed! (Minus the KI pins because those are in the binder).

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    Ive posted this before but it had so many gaps in it, After pax its looking much nicer so i want to show it again =D

px9e75kvq1gk.jpg

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Wish we had some news on the other posters in the series and when/ if they will ever come..

• Options
    Geometric CubeGeometric Cube Registered User regular
    Oh man, looking at all these makes me want to do something with mine. Right now they are just sitting on a shelf on the pin boards that came with them. I'm going to have to look into doing something once I get back from Australia.

• Options
    Like the idiot I am, I just realized the shadow box has foam behind the backing... doy. I plugged a lot of pins into it, but I'm going to wait for the Aus pins to arrive before I do anymore work... still deciding where to stick Sunset Overdrive.

• Options
    ArchaonlotrArchaonlotr Registered User new member
    This is the final product for my Pax Prime 14 pin collection

This is such an awesome display, i wouldnt mind doing a smaller one (similar) for PAX AUS 2014

Would most framing stores offer this kind of display, and what do they call it ? lol

• Options
    KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    Nefily wrote: »
    Ive posted this before but it had so many gaps in it, After pax its looking much nicer so i want to show it again =D
    Now I know why you weren't concerned about me not having the backer for the '13 East set. Looks awesome!

On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • Options
    This is the final product for my Pax Prime 14 pin collection

This is such an awesome display, i wouldnt mind doing a smaller one (similar) for PAX AUS 2014

Would most framing stores offer this kind of display, and what do they call it ? lol

I took mine to Michaels (chain craft store), showed them what I wanted and had it custom made. When you have a great sense of aesthetics, but no talents, you pay way more.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    What about magnet display solutions guys!?

CnAIMAP.jpg

The South one is really gonna mess this up.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Tycho's magnet is upside down, how embarrasing for you

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh goddamned it imma take the paint off again!

• Options
    I took the paint off again :(

But I took the opportunity to swap the gabe/tycho ones around.

ijDzJrC.jpg

Much better.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Seeing that gives me hope that the South magnet may not be a horrible burnt orange color.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options