As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Happy 15th birthday Dreamcast!

2»

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    My whole family got addicted to Sega Swirl.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dreamcast was my first games console. I went to a friend's one night and saw them playing Soul Calibur and was so blown away by how pretty it was that I skipped college the next day to go and buy one.

I remember playing a lot of Soul Calibur and Tony Hawk and not really anything else ever.

If you had those two you really didn't need anything else

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I still have my Dreamcast.

I gave away my SNES last year.

Thinking about it, that was probably the wrong way around.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    The Dreamcast wasn't 128 bits

no console or PC has yet been 128 bits

The Dreamcast was 32 bits (as were the GameCube, PS2 and original Xbox).
    The system's processor is a Hitachi SH-4 32-bit RISC at 200 MHz with an on-die 128-bit vector graphics engine, 360 MIPS and 1.4 GFLOPS (single precision), using the vector graphics engine. The graphics hardware is a PowerVR2 CLX2 chipset, capable of 7.0 million polygons/second peak performance and trilinear filtering. Graphics hardware effects include gouraud shading, z-buffering, spatial anti-aliasing, per-pixel translucency sorting (also known as order independent translucency) and bump mapping. The system supports approximately 16.78 million colors (24-bit) color output and displays interlaced or progressive scan video at 640 × 480 video resolution.

The sixth generation of consoles was sometimes referred to as the 128-bit era. It's true that by that time the number of "bits" wasn't really very important to the consoles power, but the Dreamcast and the PS2 both boasted about their 128-bit gpu's as a marketing tactic.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah okay sure, the GPU.

The bits as they were referred to before referred to CPU bandwidth though, and that's been 32-bits (with the exception of the Jaguar and the Nintendo 64) all the way up until the Xbox 360. And even then, the original Wii was still 32-bits.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah okay sure, the GPU.

The bits as they were referred to before referred to CPU bandwidth though, and that's been 32-bits (with the exception of the Jaguar and the Nintendo 64) all the way up until the Xbox 360. And even then, the original Wii was still 32-bits.

Right yeah, I was just explaining why I called it that in the OP.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    So what classes did everybody play in PSO?

I pretty much always played HuNewearl or HuCasts.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I have never played a Dreamcast. I have seen one in person maybe once.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah okay sure, the GPU.

The Jaguar had a 32 bit RISC processor as well. The graphics chips were 64 bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Jaguar#Technical_specifications

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

HuCast forever. It's what I'm playing in PSO2 (when I remember to update and patch it). Also, no mention of Shenmue? Shame.
    How about a game of lucky hit?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    HuCast forever.

Truer words were never spoken.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    did i ever tell the story about how i had a dreamcast then loaned it to my mate, who took it to his uni campus and i never saw it again? good times. i played the shit out of soul calibur.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I never had a Dreamcast during it's time, but I found one cheap at a secondhand store a couple years ago and I've had a lot of fun with it.
    Power Stone is a lot of fun.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    I played Virtual On so much on the dreamcast controller that I'm terrible playing it the "right" way with dual analog controls.

I bought the 360 port a while back and everything felt wrong.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah okay sure, the GPU.

The Jaguar had a 32 bit RISC processor as well. The graphics chips were 64 bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Jaguar#Technical_specifications

Can't say I'm surprised!

Also the N64 didn't have "true" 64-bit support. It had a 64-bit CPU but, from what I remember hearing, no assembly instructions to use all 64 bits (either that or it's just that almost no games were programmed in 64 bits).

sig.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

FOnewearl all the way. That was the first Magic Pink and she was the whole reason I ever went online and is why I keep using the name. Amazingly, no one else ever tries to register it.

Had to put SOME words together to get that Pinkal Section ID.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Everyone is forgetting Sega's answer to Crash Bandicoot

Super Magnetic Neo.

Holy butts that game was hard.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    So the foreword to Console Wars is just Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg listing games they've played while calling attention to the fact that they're treating this like a high school writing assignment and are just trying to fill out the wordcount.

It's kind of great.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Dreamcast best console, controller and games.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my friend got one of these. we played a lot of hydro thunder. I borrowed it at some point and got to play skies of arkadia, sonic adventure, shenmue and shenmue 2(an import). I think jet grind radio is my favorite one, though.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So the foreword to Console Wars is just Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg listing games they've played while calling attention to the fact that they're treating this like a high school writing assignment and are just trying to fill out the wordcount.

It's kind of great.
    The story about the main Sega guy whose name I am forgetting and the counterfeit Hot Wheels factory is even better

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I got the humble Sega bundle for Android and can now play Crazy Taxi on my phone.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I also had Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for the Dreamcast

My team was Cable/Sabertooth/Gambit

because they each had a projectile super whatever that did a lot of hits and so when you did the hyper ultra team triple super (executed by skillfully mashing every button 5 times in less than a second) they would all hit together and the combo counter would say you got like a 180 something hits and that was the most hits which made it the best team

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I got the humble Sega bundle for Android and can now play Crazy Taxi on my phone.

Follow up: not bad, actually! And I had forgotten about the licensed music in that game!