As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

my damn thread for drawing boxes NSFARACHNAPHOBES

JarsJars Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Artist's Corner
EDIT: most of the first page is like 3 years old and not very interesting

I have been working a lot on trying to improve anatomy, proportions, and the like. these are some figures I have done recently. quality sucks but not much I can do about that

OsYYeD5.jpg

yiLNOwu.jpg

cLy9RUU.jpg
this one got kinda messed up
9Uhs7ot.jpg
this one was done from my head
fzhv7nk.jpg

are things looking on the right track?

Jars on

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    this was also from imagination since I didn't feel like sitting at my desk yesterday, I thought it turned out okay? for me. the right arm/torso ended up too exaggerated

PdHC6hJ.jpg

got side tracked because my eyes need a ton of work so here's some real Bad Art

8AE6ovK.jpg

S9Yomdy.jpg

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    keep going man! mileage is absolutely huge. one thing to consider:

when you are doing those figures, attempt to place sculptural lines on them as you draw. i mean lines which wrap around the figure, and do not cut into the surface - some contour lines, some less simple. the more you do that the more you will be forced to solve the 3 dimensional shape of the figure. you will also find that your pictures suddenly gain a 3-dimensional quality quite quickly!

the less you think of what you are drawing as shapes, and more as 3-dimensional objects you are sculpting the more dimensionality your drawings will gain.

one way to get into this early is to simplify your shapes a bit - use simpler forms. if you can't rotate a simple rectangular prism accurately through, say, 30 degree rotations around the vertical in perspective on the page then attempting to do it with a rib cage will just result in frustration.

This is not so much "learn formal perspective" as much as it is "get a feeling for how these objects behaved when tipped into deep space, recession, and how to use lines to help indicate this"

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    I messed around a little with a mannequin but I didn't do much this weekend. I'll do more today

KygNz3H.jpg

trying various things

CJvo3TG.jpg

AxTlmNL.jpg

yNk3GOs.jpg

references on last two
    a6f3d0ebe123d1e45c07a33217138252.jpg
    justin-gaston-miley-cyrus-underwear-model-41.jpg

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    @Jars:
    Hope you don't mind, took a crack at your latest, hopefully some of it is helpful.
    Obviously the stuff at the beginning is the most important, I just kept going with my paintover because I got carried away shading it. It's a good ref, so I wanted to do it justice.

Which probably makes for a good point by itself- I assume you're doing a lot of this stuff in a relatively short timeframe- I went ahead and spent a good couple hours on this yesterday. You will also notice that as I go through it, I'm not getting a lot of things correct, I keep having to redo and erase and reposition things over the course of drawing to hone in on something that looks relatively ok. This is why it pays to stick with a single drawing for a good long time before saying it's done- you'll never catch that mistake you'd only ever figure out once you'd spent 2 and a half hours working at it, if you don't stick with the drawing long enough to get to the 2 and a half hour mark to begin with.

A lot of people like to fill up reams and reams of paper with quick sketches because it makes them feel very productive and prolific- but they don't improve as quickly, even in their quick drawings, as someone that also spends the time to stick around long enough on a drawing to really grapple with their mistakes, rather than simply moving on to the next thing and hope it turns out better. Also sticking exclusively to quick sketches is often a way to dodge criticism from themselves and others, because to really spend the time and swing for the fences on something holds a greater risk of failure- but it's only by making and engaging those necessary failures that they can then go back into their studies with some explicit ideas of what needs to be improved upon, the necessary frustration that lights the fire in one's belly.

Er, kinda went on a bit of a rant there that is probably more applicable to a broad audience than just to you in particular, as I don't know what else you might be up to.
    TL;DR: Might want to take some time to augment the lay-in type work with some longer work geared at tightening your analytical observational abilities, ie: measuring angles and distances, negative space, etc.

aminated .giffff
    jars_refdrawing.gif

Angel_of_Bacon on
    yes it is a very dreamy ref isn't it. I think it's easy for me to get to a point where I feel I'm done pretty quickly because I'm simply not that good at recognizing mistakes yet, or if I do I might not actually know what the problem is. I had one thing I did where I must have looked at it for an hour because I knew something was wrong and I could not figure out what it was.

okay we have mr gaston again. yes that is his name
    justin-gaston-miley-cyrus-underwear-model-28.jpg

jgl2aLN.jpg

I could tell the right side was all off but I couldn't really erase anymore because of the paper deteriorating so I drew over it a bit in photoshop.

vWmOK7q.jpg

I think I got it this time. if things look sketchy it's because I was holding the pencil differently and things got a little wild

J2F3ekg.jpg
    OFdMfYg.jpg

put together some stuff at last. got side tracked by faces

66yjBCo.jpg

wrr2gpH.jpg

this one wasn't so hot
    3AXcUxU.jpg

but I'm confused about how to do facial layouts as it rotates to the left or the right

I had the picture I posted in the other thread sitting on my desktop, I might as well use it. maybe I have a better idea of how to do this than I thought

na73_by_anondum-d82p296.jpg

been a while since I got sick but now that I'm better I have been working on some stuff to post

ZrLzIiD.jpg

mE1xO2L.jpg

XHob0j6.jpg

has it really been since november? geez

ouSLjKI.jpg

vT9wzjP.jpg

aIy3y86.jpg

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Hey man, good progress you're making! Sometimes I feel like you're lengthening out the figure more than you need to. Just keep a handle on forms and proportions. Quick glances at the subject and back to your work is great for checking overall propportions (for me.) Keep it up!

AJLaYsU.jpg

IVpZeGb.jpg

X8sdru8.jpg

I couldn't figure out how something worked so I ended up just working on the shoulder area alone
    kUEJoDO.jpg

I went through the 8 stages of "I hate this" with this one

iagrp3u.jpg

then I thought oh I'll do some facial stuff except I don't know how to do shading on the computer

9grtPQp.jpg

so I figure okay I'll do it in pencil instead except I don't know how to do shading period so that was my adventure this week

WyYHY8H.jpg

ref:
    3737EOv.jpg

simple shapes

awj8eUn.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The last dude, his eyes are too big and too close together.

The shapes arent bad but they are a bit unstable. the rectanglular shapes are a little crooked, and thw shading is a little too haphazard.

You may want to keep working on shapes, and also do some practice just shading a gradient. When Im not on my phone I'll try and dig up an example.

edited February 2015
    that's why I did some shape work. I looked at my shading job and said "I don't know what the fuck I am doing"

also like I said in the chat thread drawing a box is surprisingly difficult. next time I'll try to keep the vanishing points in mind

Jars on
    holy shit 2 years! but I haven't done nothing these past 2 years, been sitting on some stuff I have done

I like doing these because I run them through the photocopier and boom coloring sheets
    xGV7jgp.jpg
    iRs4vCb.jpg
    mjvb0qb.jpg
    this one was really hard for some reason
    z0c6Ytt.jpg
    ZNuqZAU.jpg
    pLcDLjk.jpg
    flowers and stuff
    Xf5aY7E.jpg
    xZz4Tav.jpg
    DAh1bqj.jpg
    the first one was just a test run of sorts, the second was for real. I'm planning on doing a few more of these, I'm a bit more confident in my ability to do side views now. facial features are still pretty hard
    UaME2R6.jpg
    YTjzKOc.jpg

edited March 2017
    I think these went okay. not great, but I'm going to work on this angle a bit more.

OXCwUXv.jpg
    UmQafKK.jpg

Jars on
    these are from my first time doing live figure drawing

5wlsgTy.jpg
    6NsIlPF.jpg
    E9tHizb.jpg
    pa0jzl7.jpg
    didn't have time to finish this one
    PLv8iDG.jpg

I'm going to stick this in a spoiler because it's 30 images. this is 12 days of work, maybe 40-50 hours? of drawabox

SmefvRr.jpg
    xis39qF.jpg
    Wcj1tOs.jpg
    D4vHq9p.jpg
    mh8qC3p.jpg
    2hCN3zr.jpg
    3Q7v43M.jpg
    JJJ4gnz.jpg
    zIuCb6M.jpg
    yePGiKq.jpg
    i6AwerR.jpg
    TxyHNwY.jpg
    yArEHHm.jpg
    KO03Qmr.jpg
    kOWh5BN.jpg
    M26ZQC9.jpg
    Vr09MD1.jpg
    OKpyDfp.jpg
    yglznYX.jpg
    xBqA2j7.jpg
    kWGMST8.jpg
    EQRIKld.jpg
    EmeqW1i.jpg
    HmiQFky.jpg
    SZYEdJn.jpg
    Vw3bg0S.jpg
    p4gi9yJ.jpg
    eHTKbrO.jpg
    RtdGTzF.jpg

here's another 30 something images. going to be two posts to keep things organized

these are some things unrelated to draw a box:
    kx9Kxy9.jpg
    R0kIfOc.jpg
    XXAOn6E.jpg
    a9OmuGW.jpg

lesson 2 partially complete:
    YEMUfki.jpg
    57BODs7.jpg
    HsnX7DH.jpg
    LWLGizW.jpg
    TJmWxP3.jpg
    TAfM2xF.jpg
    mR5yGML.jpg
    t6Wfl8X.jpg
    arRpcWd.jpg

250 boxes:

2hxrOKU.jpg
    WE5fttq.jpg
    4TXz0XU.jpg
    d654ElX.jpg
    wlgwtR2.jpg
    c0Ysv30.jpg
    yhJw81j.jpg
    Rw8HnQD.jpg
    PrMegi2.jpg
    7aNOYBv.jpg
    6cMV8tL.jpg
    1puDpr1.jpg
    AGD2GzG.jpg

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Dude getting to 250 made a huge difference, those are looking nice and solid now. I would recommend doing a couple scenes where you have a horizon and just draw boxes to that horizon with different vanishing pits, it'll help you get how to use this in practice

figure drawing

zU0tl9d.jpg
    4Lhardw.jpg
    ARM14n0.jpg

250 cylinders but they didn't feel as... engaging?

6ERKteY.jpg
    xGtqE4T.jpg
    xz1BpsU.jpg
    EcSFO6x.jpg
    KgiLl7i.jpg
    zgPGSF6.jpg
    h7wqCqG.jpg
    PgxROpI.jpg
    D8JWWZa.jpg
    1SVgXL1.jpg
    By5Pe0G.jpg
    3RiQmCB.jpg
    YC7diyO.jpg

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    250 cylinders but they didn't feel as... engaging?

It's 250 of the same 2-3 perspectives, that's what scientists call 'madness', what you need is variety!

Do turntables and tumbles, animate them.

tumblr_inline_oi772nWUIk1qj22k5_540.gif
    tumblr_noloogc5u31s0phnmo1_500.gif

I did a few more and took them a little more slowly and I think they turned out better
    vohUqDw.jpg
    3SJTxvb.jpg

then I had this where I had to stare at it for like 30 minutes before I could even start attempting intersections. I think I got a few right, at least
    Eot74rT.jpg

Jars wrote: »
    here's another 30 something images. going to be two posts to keep things organized
    lesson 2 partially complete:
    YEMUfki.jpg
    57BODs7.jpg
    HsnX7DH.jpg
    LWLGizW.jpg
    TJmWxP3.jpg
    TAfM2xF.jpg
    mR5yGML.jpg
    t6Wfl8X.jpg
    arRpcWd.jpg

finally followed up on this but I think I need to look over a few last things, I made some mistakes in these
    7RxaJNl.jpg
    8pOhZnP.jpg
    jee1OdN.jpg
    F9eYbhD.jpg
    mSwtxBe.jpg

doing a few days of review then it's time to get into drawing actual things

vVOzEBk.jpg
    ylHZI7I.jpg
    QgZMIar.jpg
    CGwKvkB.jpg
    I6tijht.jpg

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    I have a great respect with your diligence in doing all of these. All the same, you may want to go back and try cylinders again, because there are some issues with the circles. Pay attention to the angle of the cylinder and how round the circle is versus how oval it has become with perspective, maybe using a real can from the kitchen. Make sure the top and bottom are agreeing on the angle of the cylinder. Keep up the good practicing!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    In addition to Lyrium's advice, I think it might be good for you to try out some different angles of cylinders - most of the drawings you did are from the exact same angle.

Not sure how long you're taking with these, but take a few extra seconds on each to really aim for accuracy. Make sure your oval edges match up to the cylinder edges, and try to really get the shapes of the ellipse correct.

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Some slides from my lecture on circle-based shapes:

ym7cmalkk3is.jpg
    e6aqrfye8bpf.jpg
    kr7fqmwfu0xr.jpg
    nptc5dmr5333.jpg

these will probably be a bugbear of mine for a while. I went back and drew over some boxes, but that wasn't great since hand drawn boxes are by their nature imperfect. I also used a glass but the glass distorts the bottom ellipse a bit. my ellipses also aren't great to begin with

iE2wCDJ.jpg
    WXU5KHw.jpg
    Ezz21Op.jpg
    UhDnMc5.jpg
    nS5Rc7T.jpg
    y2mrI9X.jpg

changed things up to work with actual vanishing points this time

QSrY9FX.jpg
    WQGyj4M.jpg
    r4Jo7bk.jpg
    gNdO333.jpg
    niCP7gi.jpg

I could put stuff in here every day but I don't really want to spam the forum. I'm not going to do any more cylinders tonight though, it's time to draw some god damn leaves

edited November 2017
    7hK8e44.jpg
    Z0kO9Uq.jpg
    GD6Y7cn.jpg
    rIjinok.jpg
    VVxYOhU.jpg
    WlX3dQf.jpg
    7MAaAYs.jpg
    Gqs75Cu.jpg
    k3BckGL.jpg
    53rjbHv.jpg

Jars on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2017
    In addition to Lyrium's advice, I think it might be good for you to try out some different angles of cylinders - most of the drawings you did are from the exact same angle.

Not sure how long you're taking with these, but take a few extra seconds on each to really aim for accuracy. Make sure your oval edges match up to the cylinder edges, and try to really get the shapes of the ellipse correct.

I wanted to highlight this advice again, because I wonder how fast are you doing each sketch, on average? There's something to be said about sitting down and really thinking about what you are doing. Its a bit contrary to some of the advice in the Draw a Box lesson plan, but to some degree doing the same thing wrong over and over again really fast wont help you. Drawing things in perspective isn't a reflex, its not that you stop thinking about it at some point and always get it correct. What generally happens is you've done it so much, however slowly at first, that eventually you get faster at it.

Metaphorically, I usually compare art to cooking, and to me these exercises are a lot like learning knife handling. When I watch a chef cut shit with a knife, it always looks so fast. I assume that its because they just cook so much, but thats partially true. I also cook a lot. I dont hold a knife completely correctly, is the problem, and I also just haven't invested any time in doing it right. I've watched a few videos of how its supposed to go and then I just cut onions the same brutal way I always have, for the most part.

To bring this back to drawing, When I see pages like this:
    ue2ibha79q9z.png

It seems to really lack the focus of, say, an example like this:
    unnzpf74vu3x.png

In that when I look at that example, I can see exactly what is trying to be absorbed: drawing a variety of the shape to help you turn the object in perspective. You page has a lot of similar shapes, so you aren't getting a full bang for your buck. Ask yourself how these skills are going to be applied in the future and think ahead. If I wanted to learn how to better use my knife, I would need to slow way down, and cut my onions in time with some videos, and learn about why rocking my knife and putting my hand a particular way eventually enables me to go faster. You need to take the time for each of these studies to think about what perspective is and means, and how constructing things will help you build objects and anatomy.

All that being said, I think you are well on your way to making great progress. Most of the time it is the absolute slog of learning these skills that breaks people from drawing. I just think that, to keep yourself from burning out, you should consider focusing your exercises and try to maximize what you are taking out of each and every page of these you do. Take notes and try to articulate your goals to yourself.

Keep at it, dude, you're a trooper!

Iruka on
    oh so like rotated boxes. had hardly any time today to really do this justice though

W96AD3c.jpg