As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, September 12, 2014 - The God-Womb

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Friday, September 12, 2014 - The God-Womb

The God-Womb

The God-Womb

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/09/12

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Dad comic!

I like how Tycho carries on thinking about selling a baby after Gabe has wandered off.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Holy shit I did not know it was for two billion dollars.

Well done, Notch.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Ms will proceed to sue the shit out of Minecraft rip-offs. Or at least send threating letters.

• Options
    noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    noxumbra on
  • Options
    Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    $2 BILLION!?

SELL! SELL! SELL!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Holy hell, wat?

Should I buy Minecraft on my PS4 before it's too late? Good for Notch, though. Make a gorillion dollars with Minecraft, and then dump it to MS for 2 billion. Nice

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I also can't fathom calling this selling out in anything but the most technical sense.

Minecraft is an extremely wonderful game but I don't doubt for a moment that Notch can do far more good with that money if he decides to.

• Options
    king0zymandiasking0zymandias Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't have a baby. Still I can't even begin to imagine how awesome the baby would have to be for me to not sell it for two billion dollars.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I love the crazy tycho comics

curious to hear the podcast for this one too

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i would also sell a real baby for 2 billion dollars

like in a heartbeat

prepare the documents

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I also can't fathom calling this selling out in anything but the most technical sense.

Minecraft is an extremely wonderful game but I don't doubt for a moment that Notch can do far more good with that money if he decides to.
    This. Someone offers me 2 freaking BILLION dollars for my "baby" and I'll be scribbling down the admin login and password on a piece of paper for them as I'm headed for the door.

• Options
    gittonsxvgittonsxv Registered User new member
    edited September 2014
    what i can not work out is what microsoft wants with minecraft,
    everybody who wants it already has bought it and the updates keep making it better for free, unless they want the rights so they can make a minecraft 2 or a spin off...
    the other thing is they could make minecraft have a subscription which would only make people hate microsoft even more.

this is like buying something that was highly popular, still is but does not need you in anyway. are they trying to buy friends?

gittonsxv on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    gittonsxv wrote: »
    what i can not work out is what microsoft wants with minecraft,
    everybody who wants it already has bought it and the updates keep making it better for free, unless they want the rights so they can make a minecraft 2 or a spin off...
    the other thing is they could make minecraft have a subscription which would only make people hate microsoft even more.

this is like buying something that was highly popular, still is but does not need you in anyway. are they trying to buy friends?

If it's true (I believe it's still just a rumor) it's pretty clear they're buying the IP. There's no way they'll ever make 2 billion dollars just selling copies of Minecraft.

• Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    They're buying mindshare for kids 6-12. Minecraft is *huge* with them, bigger than it ever was with adults and much more pervasive in their lives. My fiancee's nephew is nuts for it. It's all he ever talks about. He watches Minecraft videos. He plays with minecraft toys. He plays with legos and I imagine we'll be getting him the Lego Minecraft sets coming out later this year for Christmas.

This is a long-term play to own the hearts of a generation the way Nintendo did with Mario et al.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Build linkage to their cloud server architecture directly into the single most prevalent private server game in the younger demographics?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I would not be surprised if Minecraft remained popular with kids for years to come. So anybody who wants it right this second has it, sure. But new kids are getting born every day.

Also, skins.

• Options
    Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This comic sums up my feelings on the matter (although I don't know if I would sell my actual baby). From when the new broke people started to scream that Notch was a sell out. These people clearly have no idea how much $2B is, because when you're talking THAT much for an individual it really ceases to be fully imagined. It become equivalent of saying a gajhlion.

I have a feeling most of the people that are criticizing Notch would throw their own grandmothers into a meat grinder if someone opened a briefcase of $25k in front of them.

Gamer8585 on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gabe in the first panel looks like a hyena baying at the moon.

• Options
    MonoMono Registered User regular
    Everyone has a price I suppose.

• Options
    DemobotDemobot Lemme buzz you in Registered User regular
    It's funny, I might have been a bit upset about this had the selling price not been so high. $2 billion. Two thousand million dollars. And the thing is, it's worth more than that.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i would also sell a real baby for 2 billion dollars

like in a heartbeat

prepare the documents

Oh that won't be necessary

We don't want a paper trail

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Man, you could get a Rubicite Breastplate for that.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2014
    Quid wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if Minecraft remained popular with kids for years to come. So anybody who wants it right this second has it, sure. But new kids are getting born every day.

Which is why the $2 billion market value of a child is absurd.

A woman could retire after only 9 months of labor.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    "Selling out", I was wondering when those comments would pop-up.

This is Selling out, it's smart business sense. Fine he sells off Minecraft for a literal BOAT LOAD of money.

But, don't forget, Notch made Minecraft with zero money simply because he WANTED to, he's not the kind of guy who's just going to stop. He LOVES developing games, and now he has TWO BILLION DOLLARS.

Just imagine what he can do with it.

Minecraft did everything he wanted and so much more.

Lingering Grin on
  • Options
    MonoMono Registered User regular
    Notch is selling the beloved franchise of many children to Microsoft.

To Microsoft to do as they will.
    To Microsoft to be exploited.
    To Microsoft to be used as a weapon against their competitors.
    To Microsoft to be milked and ran into the ground.

It's his game.
    It's his soul.
    Who am I to tell him not to pawn it to the devil for money?

/shrug

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I enjoy the fact that Tycho's ultimate goal is to become the immortal god-emperor of the galaxy. It's good to aim high.

• Options
    logiclordlogiclord Registered User new member
    LOL, is Gabe tucking him in? Does this happen every night? Why is this not weird to anyone else?

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    logiclord wrote: »
    LOL, is Gabe tucking him in? Does this happen every night? Why is this not weird to anyone else?

I got the impression that Tycho was sleeping in and Gabe burst in with the news, and when he didn't get the reaction he wanted, he walked out.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

It's pretty tame compared to this one.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/06/04

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I honestly don't understand the big worry here. I get that Minecraft is constantly updating, and that's great. But even if it never updated again, it's a solid game with endless replay value, and anyone who wants it already has it. So Microsoft could start charging $60 for it, start adding $40 DLCs to it, or release a FTP mobile game, or whatever they want, and it wouldn't affect anyone's play experience because they could just play the game they already own. I suspect, though, that Microsoft's primary interest is in the vast amount of merchandise already out, and they have the resources to merchandise even more. And as has been mentioned, Notch now has funds to start a completely different project. Minecraft isn't going anywhere.

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    Gamer8585 wrote: »
    This comic sums up my feelings on the matter (although I don't know if I would sell my actual baby). From when the new broke people started to scream that Notch was a sell out. These people clearly have no idea how much $2B is, because when you're talking THAT much for an individual it really ceases to be fully imagined. It become equivalent of saying a gajhlion.

I have a feeling most of the people that are criticizing Notch would throw their own grandmothers into a meat grinder if someone opened a briefcase of $25k in front of them.

I totally agree with, and I feel irritated seeing others call this selling out.

Selling out is something meaningful; it's when someone builds up something of value out of a certain ideology or dogmatism. I wonder what Notch's critics think his ideology was? Making a cool game that people liked? Well, he did that, so selling it now isn't actually 'selling out'; there isn't any hypocrisy or injustice in this sale. A man made a cool thing, people like it, someone else bought it. To call this selling out is just depressing.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If you tuck people in like that you might want to work on your tuck in technique.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think some of the rhetoric is the usual sneering about "selling out", and some is the slowly dawning realization/horror that Microsoft has essentially bought, not just Notch's offspring, but all our children.

• Options
    Mono wrote: »

It's his game.
    It's his soul.

/shrug

Kind of a silly goose I would guess.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Mono wrote: »

It's his game.
    It's his soul.

/shrug

This is my new favorite post.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I'm late to the discussion party I but what does this mean for those of us that own minecraft?
    We entered an agreement with Notch and mojang. Are we going to have to buy it again for the latest updates? (Probably)
    Is there going to be this update button just hanging around waiting for us to agree to Microsoft's new terms?

I'm genuinely curious

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm late to the discussion party I but what does this mean for those of us that own minecraft?
    We entered an agreement with Notch and mojang. Are we going to have to buy it again for the latest updates? (Probably)
    Is there going to be this update button just hanging around waiting for us to agree to Microsoft's new terms?

I'm genuinely curious

I doubt they would do something stupid like make you re-buy it, though there's a good likelihood they'll release some second edition as a separate program that you can buy. If you want the new fancies.

The bolded part is basically a guarantee, if you decide to update your installation if/after the purchase of Mojang goes through.

I don't play Minecraft - in fact I've never played Minecraft - so it doesn't really affect me, but it will still be fascinating to see what Microsoft will do to crater it. I can guarantee that some mid-level exec is going to try something "impress the stockholders"-y on it and fun stuff will happen.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Demobot wrote: »
    It's funny, I might have been a bit upset about this had the selling price not been so high. $2 billion. Two thousand million dollars. And the thing is, it's worth more than that.

What? Oh an American billion. Pfft, this changes everything. Way to sell out for chump change Notch.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So looks like Notch did something with Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/15/6151921/why-notch-left-mojang

From the tone of that interview it basically sounds like he was tired of being the face of Minecraft, so he took the money because why the fuck not.

I can respect that.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If you tuck people in like that you might want to work on your tuck in technique.

I'm sure he's very good at it. If you see him you're gonna get proper tucked.