As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Early Attempts with Gimp 2

GeminiGodGeminiGod Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
After watching the videos that Gabe made recently showing his 'creative process', I decided to load up Gimp and try my hand at colouring in his Boba Fett image. I think it came out relatively nicely, although the armor may be a little TOO blue, and not enough green. Tried out the bloom effect too, and it looks okay here.

boba_inks.jpg

What I'm looking for:

A) A nice dump site filled with simple, inked B&W images similar to the Boba Fett image, so that I might practice colouring in images

B) A nice tutorial for inking sketched pictures in Gimp2. I have no tablet, so this is entirely mouse/keyboard for me. I need a way to reproduce the LiveTrace system from Illustrator in a somewhat similar means via Gimp2. I want to take inked sketches that I scan in and blacken the lines, and I'm having trouble with it, and for example, this following image.

tychink.JPG

So...yeah, that's it. All help and advice appreciated. Anything you guys see wrong with the Boba Fett colouring, where I can improve, anything at all, tell me, please.

"Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck." - George Sanders (suicide note)
GeminiGod on

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ( just a warning, but you're probably going to get lampooned for using any of gabe's characters or art on this forum in any way)

Scosglen on
  • Options
    GeminiGodGeminiGod Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    *shrug* I'm just practicing. I figure, start out emulating something when you're just learning.

GeminiGod on
    "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck." - George Sanders (suicide note)
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lol what is with all the new people posting the "bloom" effect on every piece of work?

And how-come he's only half-coloured in? Is he meant to be off-white in colour across half his body? It needs some variation in the form of shadows etc to show that you've actually coloured those places in. Apart from that, the colours are flat. Looks like you just selected places with the lasso/magic wand/whatever and just used the bucket fill... Like those children's colouring books, where you just fill in colours indicated by the numbers...

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You don't need a tablet to color something interestingly, all you need is a mouse and some tutorials. Also, the colors are really flat, adding a second shade would be ideal.

As far as the bloom effect goes, it looses it's impact when the colors are so pale. Refrain from using any effects or filters until you understand how to do things without them.

EDIT:

Don't use live trace; you say you want to learn, but you're letting the computer do things for you.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    firebane_543firebane_543 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A nice dump site filled with simple, inked B&W images similar to the Boba Fett image, so that I might practice colouring in images
    it's called a coloring book. you can find them everywhere.

firebane_543 on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    it's called a coloring book. you can find them everywhere.

How long did it take you to come up with that?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Neat :)

Why is Boba's right arm longer than his left, which is nearer to the beholder?
    And I'm wondering why there are lot's of "stairs" in the lines, is there no anti-aliasing?

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ape2001 wrote:
    Neat :)

Why is Boba's right arm longer than his left, which is nearer to the beholder?
    And I'm wondering why there are lot's of "stairs" in the lines, is there no anti-aliasing?

He didn't....draw that.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    And I was wondering why it seemed so familiar to me...silly me. Thanks for pointing it out ^^''

So, again a thread without art-posts :|

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    Blue Is BeautifulBlue Is Beautiful Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    you need more finished looking work before posting it. and get a better handle on using gimp.

good job on the initiative though! don't give up because it's going to be very hard. it'll get easier!

also, two related questions:

1, where is this tutorial everyone is referencing that gabe posted?

2, remember when gabe had his first tutorial on how he does the comic, and he showed how he fills in large black areas? it had something to do with outlining the area, and then paintbucket the area inbetween the outline. but i forgot how he got rid of the white area. just went over it in black? i thought he used feathering or something like that?

Blue Is Beautiful on
    no, you can't.
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    where is this tutorial everyone is referencing that gabe posted?
    It was orignally posted up on the main Penny Arcade page, but the link is also here

The lineart for that Bobba Fett pic is there, too.

Dear god I hope I haven't released a monster by posting this link here.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    where is this tutorial everyone is referencing that gabe posted?
    It was orignally posted up on the main Penny Arcade page, but the link is also here

The lineart for that Bobba Fett pic is there, too.

Dear god I hope I haven't released a monster by posting this link here.

Ah, that explains a lot. Damn you Gabe, Damn you.

Lly on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What happened to the coloring thread? I couldn't find it to dig it up...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    this coloring thread?

Lly on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That's the one. Gracias.

earthwormadam on