As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[mlb] Fake Playoffs Now. Real Playoffs Soon.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rays go from almost no hitter to blowing the game

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Rays go from almost no hitter to blowing the game

Pretty much the story of their season right there.

The Jays and Yanks continue to just not go away. The O's magic number is 8, with both teams. Which means no real significant movement on it before the middle of next week. The Orioles have seven games upcoming against both teams - it is unlikely the Orioles will win all 7. The Orioles need to have an 8-2 homestand to guarantee clinching at home, which would be the first time that has happened in 45 years.

I will be slightly annoyed if the Jays' little run as of late delays that.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'm not even watching that Stanton video. The thought alone is scary enough.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    It's ridiculous that Fiers didn't get thrown out after hitting the batter directly after Stanton. Who cares if there wasn't a warning issued, two batters in a row with one of them being the best player on the team, chuck him. Otherwise, what's obviously going to happen is that the Marlins are going to come out and plunk someone (the Marlins may have done that anyway, but it would have at least evened everything out then).

They would have at least prevented the second bench-clearing by doing that.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    The whole concept of retaliation and intentionally throwing at someone is so ridiculously juvenile.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    guys im starting to think the Rays are out of it this season

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Chris Davis suspended for amphetamines. Tainted 2013 season?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Chris suspended 25 games. Fuck

• Options
    Based on his numbers this year he was taking performance diminishing drugs

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    It's ridiculous that Fiers didn't get thrown out after hitting the batter directly after Stanton. Who cares if there wasn't a warning issued, two batters in a row with one of them being the best player on the team, chuck him. Otherwise, what's obviously going to happen is that the Marlins are going to come out and plunk someone (the Marlins may have done that anyway, but it would have at least evened everything out then).

They would have at least prevented the second bench-clearing by doing that.

This is stupid.

He clearly didn't mean to hit Stanton. He was on the verge of tears on the field as Stanton was being attended too, as well as in the locker room afterwords. Some times pitchers lose control of pitches. There's absolutely no way that either of those pitches was intentional (unless you really think Fiers took a full count and tried to bean the dude after Stanton.)

The Marlins reaction was abhorrent. Some chucklefuck idiot starts mouthing off at Fiers from the warm up circle which causes the benches to clear, and THEN the Marlins get "retaliation" and bean someone next inning.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Retaliation is stupid and Fiers in no way did that on purpose.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Watching the video you can see Fiers is devastated from hitting Stanton. The next batter he hit was the replacement for Stanton and was the next pitch I believe. Both of the pitches he hit people with were called strikes since the players were deemed to be swinging at the pitches. The second hit by pitch even struck the batter out I think.

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Based on his numbers this year he was taking performance diminishing drugs

Apparently Davis was diagnosed with ADHD years ago, taken adderall since he was on the Rangers. He had a medical exemption for years, but not this year.

I bet he went off it, then his numbers crashed and he got scared and went back on his meds.

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    After all the shit football and baseball news, I need something to chuckle at

http://www.twinkietown.com/2014/9/12/6136693/brian-duensing-requests-that-you-dont-spoil-the-hunger-games-trilogy

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Jorge Soler is away from the Cubbies for the weekend to attend to the birth of his child, thus likely ending my bid for the championship. Its a damn close matchup, too, despite what the score says.

• Options
    Is it wrong that I am kinda rooting for Oakland to miss the playoffs?

I really like the A's usually. I mean they are just kinda cool, the alternate unis are great. A lot of really great history there. Redefined the game and all that - but man, i kinda hope they don't make it.

Does that make me a bad person?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    It doesn't matter, because the Orioles aren't going anywhere anyway

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Yes

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    It's not like Oakland is winning the Wild Card game anyway.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    I think you're being far too generous to Kansas City. If its their best pitchers going, I'd take Lester over Shields.

Seattle, if they make it, would probably be the better bet.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    I think you're being far too generous to Kansas City. If its their best pitchers going, I'd take Lester over Shields.

I think you're being far too generous to the As offense of late. The Royals have a competent left-hander in Vargas, which is all you need to beat the As.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options

You've kinda been saying that all season. How many times do you have to get things wrong before you reconsider?

The Orioles might very well get knocked out in the first round, but they will win the AL East and I can sit back and watch the Yankees ruin Tanaka's arm and lose him for all of next year too.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    I'd love for Seattle to make it because King Felix and Iwakuma are both amazing.

Trading for and keeping Iwakuma was my best offseason move.

• Options
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    The Orioles might very well get knocked out in the first round,

Its basically the same statement.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

I think you're being far too generous to the As offense of late. The Royals have a competent left-hander in Vargas, which is all you need to beat the As.

The A's collapse has been so staggering. Their offense has completely vanished, their pitching is keeping them in games.

The As do not want an all or nothing one game play-in, I don't think they are really built for that.

But there is a solid chance they miss the playoff entirely. Which would be a rather epic downfall considering the spring they had and the moves they made.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Getting beat in the divisional round, again, is not going anywhere.

I was at the deciding game of the last divisional series the Os lost.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Getting beat in the divisional round, again, is not going anywhere.

I was at the deciding game of the last divisional series the Os lost.

Good for you. Enjoy watching that game on TV while you convince yourself that the Yankees will suddenly have an offense next year.

Plus, I wouldn't be so wistful for the memories of 2012 after you barely beat the Orioles only to be completely embarrassed by the Tigers in four.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Also. The Orioles are likely playing the Royals in the divisional round.two of the four games the Royals won during the season came off Jimenez who is no longer in the rotation.

• Options
    You two are having a really dumb argument considering the Angels are winning it all.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Uh, what? Best record plays wild card team. You're looking at the Tigers more likely. Its only a half game between them, now, but I'd be very surprised to see the Royals pull ahead and put them away.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The Cards or Giants will win it all again and I'll be mad

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    The Orioles might very well get knocked out in the first round,

Its basically the same statement.

"Might" and "will" are two very different statements.

The Orioles could very easily win the divisional series. All they have done all year is win series. They haven't swept many teams, but they have won a lot of series against teams of all levels.

Something the Yankees have struggled with this year. Winning series.

Especially against the Orioles.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I'll just be happy if the Pirates make the wild card game again because then Cutch with have a legit shot at winning another MVP. If the Pirates can win the game and win more playoff games then that's great too.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Nirya wrote: »
    You two are having a really dumb argument considering the Angels are winning it all.

This could very likely be true. The Angels are playing on another universe right now, they finally seem to have become the team everyone else was afraid they would become.
    Uh, what? Best record plays wild card team. You're looking at the Tigers more likely. Its only a half game between them, now, but I'd be very surprised to see the Royals pull ahead and put them away.

You are right, I forgot that the Tigers had pulled ahead of them. Even better for the Orioles. They did get swept by the Tigers in May, but dang that bullpen is bad and Verlander seems to be a shell of his former self.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Schide wrote: »
    I'll just be happy if the Pirates make the wild card game again because then Cutch with have a legit shot at winning another MVP. If the Pirates can win the game and win more playoff games then that's great too.

I just don't want the Cardinals to win.

Like anything, ever.

• Options
    Making the playoffs is a successful season.

• Options
    Geth knows.

• Options
    John Rocker is going to be on Survivor.

I might watch that

• Options
    John Rocker is going to be on Survivor.

I might watch that

Only if this is the season they go full on Lord of the Flies

This discussion has been closed.