As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

• Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm digging the hell out of Ace Combat 4 a few missions in, especially now that I have my F-16. 8)

Love the replays, they're very cinematic at times. I like the way the camera follows a missle shot, and I just noticed the sound of a resulting explosion was delayed, like in real life. Saw the enemy blow up real good, then a second later, heard the boom.

And yes, the still-picture cutscenes are classy. I like the WWI kind of feel overlaid on a modern (fictitious) conflict.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:a6b0502449]I get a boner whenever i think of ace combat[/spoiler:a6b0502449]

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    I'm digging the hell out of Ace Combat 4 a few missions in, especially now that I have my F-16. 8)

Love the replays, they're very cinematic at times. I like the way the camera follows a missle shot, and I just noticed the sound of a resulting explosion was delayed, like in real life. Saw the enemy blow up real good, then a second later, heard the boom.

And yes, the still-picture cutscenes are classy. I like the WWI kind of feel overlaid on a modern (fictitious) conflict.
    If you hold circle instead of just tapping it, your camera will follow the missile shot.

Also, I just started playing 5 for the second time. I've played 4 at least 3 times. I figure I'll give 5 its due.

Renzo on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I enjoy the style of 4's story much more than the sometimes lame cutscenes of 5, especially the fact that SPOILER FOR 4:[spoiler:dc40fb6d32]all the characters in the story are from the opposing side of the war, told from the perspective of a helpless civilian[/spoiler:dc40fb6d32] but the gameplay of 5 was so much faster and more fun. In 4, QAAMs were way easy to get and were practically guaranteed kills once you shot one, but the SAAMs in 5 was so much more fun SPOILER FOR 5:[spoiler:dc40fb6d32]especially in the canyon with those hardcore Belkan dudes[/spoiler:dc40fb6d32] To be fair, I was stuck with SAAMs instead of QAAMs because of the funky kill-meter system in 5 (no su-37 for me :() but it really made my game experience more fun. Also, I agree that the ending of 4 was epic and huge, but 5 had a great ending also. And then another one. And then another one. moer liek Lord of the Aces m ir ite??

Although 4's approach to the storytelling was more fresh and creative, imo, I'll be damned if I didn't fall for Nagase instantly. So fine.

My verdict? Get 'em both! But I'm waiting for Zero to get to $20 (which will give me time to go through 5 a couple more times)

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Just so you don't get your hopes up, sabyul, I'll say that the only stand-out things about Zero are its rival aces and the music. But the music in these games is always good.

Renzo on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Heh, honestly I had figured Rogue Leader and Ace Combat 4 kind of ruined the genre for me (the same way I had to try too hard to appreciate DMC and God of War after playing the crap out of Ninja Gaiden Black) but I'm looking forward to some legitimately difficult dogfighting.

I can't say I'm a fan of the Ace Combat style of difficulty-- the whole mission not being that hard at all but you should try to get S-rank or go off and beat the rival ace while still making it back to complete the mission! or whatever. I greatly enjoyed X-Wing: Alliance and Freespace 2's missions where you barely squeak by surviving (not to mention the poor dude you were supposed to be protecting). Different styles of game, though, i suppose. My main fault with AC is that getting a kill doesn't really feel like as much an accomplishment as it could sometimes.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Is is sad that I think the briefing scenes in 5 are really really cool?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PunkBoy wrote:

Oh I whole-heartedly agree. It's a shame so much of the rest of the game was so cheesy.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PunkBoy wrote:

Oh I whole-heartedly agree. It's a shame so much of the rest of the game was so cheesy.
    Yeah the voice acting is cheesy, but the briefing scenes are very cool. They get me pumped. And when you start getting your briefings on the carrier...hoo boy that music made me want to get out there and shoot down some bogeys.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:

Yeah the voice acting is cheesy, but the briefing scenes are very cool. They get me pumped. And when you start getting your briefings on the carrier...hoo boy that music made me want to get out there and shoot down some bogeys.

I agree. The remxied "Unsung War" briefing music on the carrier gets me psyched. I like to try and pick out as much as the small text as possible during the briefings. One neat thing I noticed are the different login names used by whoever's conducting the briefing:

Perrault: islandking
    Commander of Basset Space Center (forgot his name): rocketboy
    Pops: oldfox

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    "CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL AWAY! CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL AWAY!!..."

"Aw man I love this sound!"

Haha....that part was lame.

But the carrier part was awesome. And in Zero the part that really pumped me up was the beginning of the last mission you guys know what I'm talking about :^:

Sol on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Sol wrote:
    "CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL AWAY! CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL AWAY!!..."

"Aw man I love this sound!"

Haha....that part was lame.

But the carrier part was awesome. And in Zero the part that really pumped me up was the beginning of the last mission you guys know what I'm talking about :^:
    Yes.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ace combat 5: A text adventure.

Nagase says: "Captain, do you think all this killing has to stop?"
    (Y/N)> N

Nagase says: "How could you say that!?"

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ace combat 5: A text adventure.

Nagase says: "Captain, do you think all this killing has to stop?"
    (Y/N)> N

Nagase says: "How could you say that!?"

Nagase says: "All this hatred, where could it come from? Don't you think we have to end this war on hatred, Captain?"
    (Y/N)> N

Nagase says: some whiny garbage.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It'd be nice if they made a more open-ended AC, like Wing Commander, where your choices and mission outcomes affect future missions.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I haven't finished AC5 yet, (which is my first exposure to the AC world btw) so maybe I just haven't seen it yet. But what I can't help but notice is that many of the scenes are just exposition, we did this, we went here, they treated us like that, etc etc. There doesn't seem to be much dialogue except for in the middle of missions, where there seems to be too much, where, as many of you have pointed out, Nagase becomes whiny and chatty, but I'm busy just trying to play the damn game.

I like dialogue but it just seems to be in all the wrong places. Quit asking me how I feel about war when I'm trying to shoot someone down, it should be fairly obvious how I feel about it at that given moment.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    VoodooV wrote:
    some stuff about nagase being a whiny cunt

Exactly why AC04 was so much better.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just played the first six missions in ACZ...my first AC game. I need to find the rest :O

The Cheese on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    VoodooV wrote:

Except AC04 sounded like it was narrated by some unemployed loser sitting on his mothers couch, all done to unispiring still images.

AC05 >>> AC04

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    apotheos wrote:
    VoodooV wrote:

Except AC04 sounded like it was narrated by some unemployed loser sitting on his mothers couch, all done to unispiring still images.

AC05 >>> AC04
    I enjoyed 4's narration and still images more than 5's video and melodrama. And Chopper. Oh god, Chopper. What the hell, man.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man, Chopper was rad Chopper was rad

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I still like all the games. I don't play them for the story, I play them for the crazy superweapons and attacks on giant vehicles and installations and such. And the music. And all three deliver on those fronts.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Heh, I really didn't mind Chopper. I always get a grin out of when Chopper introduces himself to Mr. Cargo in "Handful of Hope." I got attatched to all of the characters in 5, I guess that's why I feel it edges out 4.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What the fuck is this giant laser fuck LASER

The Cheese on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    apotheos wrote:
    VoodooV wrote:

AC05 >>> AC04
    I've always agreed with you on this, but we're definitely in the minority.

Unsung War just had so many great moments. [spoiler:43075680d0]I mean, what's better than destroying a satellite as it hurtles to Earth? Nothing's better, that's what![/spoiler:43075680d0]

Also, someday I'd like to play the Japanese version of AC03. Apparently our version had a ton of the story removed, and got rid of 16 missions for some reason. :?

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You know, I'm going to have to side with the AC5 > AC4 crowd. I enjoyed it, despite Nagase and Chopper being totally worthless.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm on mission 8 in AC4, and I'm enjoying the game. But one thing does piss me off.

I just finished up two missions where I had plenty of targets to shoot at, and in fact my obligations to my comrades pretty much dictated doing as much damage as possible.

And then, from out of left fuckin' field, comes a new objective for which I evidently needed to hold back about half my ammo. There was no reason whatsoever to hold my fire in such a target-rich environment, with ground forces and/or wingmen calling for help. I was just supposed to intuitively know that these bastards who were killing our people aren't worth shooting at, the real objective hasn't shown its face yet. Or I was just supposed to run out of ammo, spit and curse, and retry the mission with advance knowledge of what to expect.

Worst of all, there were enemy aces present at one battle who don't fly particularly well, aren't particularly skilled or dangerous. But whose defining characteristic as hotshot aces seems to be their ability to take repeated hits without being destroyed. And missles tend to not hit these guys, but it's not on account of their flying. No, these guys couldn't dodge a thrown wrench, let alone a pair of missles fired from a favorable angle. They don't get hit because the game basically scripts my missles to veer off and miss them. One attempt at a mission was a wash simply because I wasted too much ammo trying to shoot one of these fucks down.

Everything else about the game is pretty impressive. But the way the missions are set up, and the way an "ace" enemy pilot is represented in the game, really took me out of the moment.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What bugs me about AC04 is the lack of copilot support.

Sure, everyone's there to cheer you on, but then you get to fight an entire squadron of enemy aces by yourself...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    It'd be nice if they made a more open-ended AC, like Wing Commander, where your choices and mission outcomes affect future missions.

Play the japanese version of AC3, man. It's like armored core in that you can make choices and branch the missions differently. There are like 6 different endings.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    defrag wrote:
    You know, I'm going to have to side with the AC5 > AC4 crowd. I enjoyed it, despite Nagase and Chopper being totally worthless.

Really? At least in my game all my wingmen do pretty well and have impressive kill counts according the pilot stats.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's all in how and when you use the commands. Let them go at the right time, and they'll rack up the kills.
    (Preferably right when things get at their craziest)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, what I realized is that when you tell your wingmen to disperse and attack, they will within a limited distance. If you fly off from the fight, your wingmen will break off attacking and regroup with you. Kind of annoying sometimes, but at least it keeps them from drifting too far off.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I have all three of these games and I have to say that each one stands out in its own respect.

AC4? Best final level soundtrack ever. Fiddle around in your Sound Test (if you've earned it) and listen to the level music for the very last level. Rex Tremendae and Agnus Dei...and theres a third...forget its name, but they rock, all orchastral and choir-y n'shit.

AC5...wonderful and in-depth story. There is one level where:

[spoiler:738443888e]Chopper gets shot down and killed[/spoiler:738443888e]

And after that you're still taking on a swarm of enemy fighters. Best moment in that game is flying that part of that mission getting kill after kill while listening to the enemy radio chater about you and your wingmen being the Demons of Razgriz, all the while listening to your wingmen sobbing through gritted teeth over their comms while also laying it down. Fucking powerful.

AC-0? Awesome. That's all there is to say about that. They make you earn your first good jets which was new and kinda of annoying...especially after I managed to unlock the X-02 in the first level and it took me most of the game to earn the money for it. The Final boss in the game is a real test of your pilot's (and maybe gamer's) metle.

Best. Dogfight. Evar.

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2006
    I have all three of these games and I have to say that each one stands out in its own respect.

AC4? Best final level soundtrack ever. Fiddle around in your Sound Test (if you've earned it) and listen to the level music for the very last level. Rex Tremendae and Agnus Dei...and theres a third...forget its name, but they rock, all orchastral and choir-y n'shit.

AC5...wonderful and in-depth story. There is one level where:

[spoiler:4b088f5e5c]Chopper gets shot down and killed[/spoiler:4b088f5e5c]

And after that you're still taking on a swarm of enemy fighters. Best moment in that game is flying that part of that mission getting kill after kill while listening to the enemy radio chater about you and your wingmen being the Demons of Razgriz, all the while listening to your wingmen sobbing through gritted teeth over their comms while also laying it down. Fucking powerful.

AC-0? Awesome. That's all there is to say about that. They make you earn your first good jets which was new and kinda of annoying...especially after I managed to unlock the X-02 in the first level and it took me most of the game to earn the money for it. The Final boss in the game is a real test of your pilot's (and maybe gamer's) metle.

Best. Dogfight. Evar.

I agree that "Journey Home" is one of the most powerful levels in a game I've ever played.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Don't get me wrong, I thought the AC5 story was fantastic, and on a whole it was a great game.

The thing was, it was just a little too melodramatic and exaggerated. In terms of radio chatter and general mission progression, AC04 seemed much more militarily feasible. AC5 pretty much felt like a bad movie at times. AC zero was awesome because it found a pretty good balance of the two.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The thing was, it was just a little too melodramatic and exaggerated. In terms of radio chatter and general mission progression, AC04 seemed much more militarily feasible. AC5 pretty much felt like a bad anime at times. AC zero was awesome because it found a pretty good balance of the two.

Fixed.

Oh noes its t3h Demons of Razgriz!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh noes its t3h Demons of Raz*'SPLODE*

Counter Fixt :P

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2006
    I really liked all the Demons of Razgriz stuff

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:

Well I liked it, too. I just thought it was a bit overdone. In 4, you could hear radio chatter about "ribbon fighters" and you being fucked if you saw one, but you only heard it every once in a while.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:

Well I liked it, too. I just thought it was a bit overdone. In 4, you could hear radio chatter about "ribbon fighters" and you being fucked if you saw one, but you only heard it every once in a while.
    uhh... you were the ribbon fighter.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682