As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Microsoft purchases Minecraft maker Mojang for $2.5B

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    At least this way a minecraft 2 will actually get made, that was never going to happen with 20 person mojang

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Prohass wrote: »
    At least this way a minecraft 2 will actually get made, that was never going to happen with 20 person mojang

Other than using something other than Java (and the performance increase that would be the result), what would you guys even want from a Minecraft 2 that isn't already available with mods?

Everything from better graphics to more biomes to more creatures to new ores/weapons/materials/power sources/recipes/etc..., it's all there. I dick around from time to time in vanilla because it's fun to put on some music and just get my build on, but every now and again I will take a look into the Minecraft thread here on PA and I only have to read a post or two to realize that we are playing completely different games. They've got nuclear reactors and alternate dimensions and beekeeping and wireless power transfer and all kinds of crazy shit.

I can't think of anything that a sequel could really offer that isn't available right now for free for the current game.

SmokeStacks on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

And it will be inferior to a fully modded PC copy of the original.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Other than using something other than Java (and the performance increase that would be the result), what would you guys even want from a Minecraft 2 that isn't already available with mods?

Everything from better graphics to more biomes to more creatures to new ores/weapons/materials/power sources/recipes/etc..., it's all there. I dick around from time to time in vanilla because it's fun to put on some music and just get my build on, but every now and again I will take a look into the Minecraft thread here on PA and I only have to read a post or two to realize that we are playing completely different games. They've got nuclear reactors and alternate dimensions and beekeeping and wireless power transfer and all kinds of crazy shit.

I can't think of anything that a sequel could really offer that isn't available right now for free for the current game.

Additional advertisement.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    One positive to the hordes of people crying "sellout" against Notch - it's given me a handy way to identify the people not worth listening to on any other subject.

Dhalphir on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    One positive to the hordes of people crying "sellout" against Notch - it's given me a handy way to identify the people not worth listening to on any other subject.

Show me someone who wouldn't 'sell out' for 2.5 billion, and I'll show you a liar.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

And it will be inferior to a fully modded PC copy of the original.

So? Lots of games are better with mods than the stock versions. WoW, any game made by Bethesda...

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Off hand the only things I can come up with would be:

* Remove Java
    * A better front end to download/apply mods
    * Servers that work with all versions - Pocket/Console/PC - I want my world to be on all my systems
    * Official Rift support
    * Integrate some of the better ideas from mods - especially things like more animals and vehicles.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

A more cohesive modding environment might help. As it stands the current G&T (modded) server is about to get updated to the next set of mod updates, which are all based on 1.7.10 (?)
    But these are custom packs that have been picked out and made to play nice together. Yes all the mods are out there, but it'd be a giant pain in the ass to get pixelmon working with some of the space mods. Ideally MC2 or MC 1.9 could change up a bunch of things and integrate tools for the modding community that would allow things to play nicer together.
    * Servers that work with all versions - Pocket/Console/PC - I want my world to be on all my systems

This would actually be really freaking cool.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    I'd love to see a more comprehensive in game toolkit as well, on all platforms. The ability to select large regions and delete/cut/copy/paste would be awesome. Or even a basic "fill with current selected material" option for things.

It would speed up building, and would allow you to transform a world into whatever you want MUCH quicker.

I'd also like to see official MC make better use of materials. Those other texture/mash up packs have some awesome textures... but many of them should be additions to the base MC materials. I'd love to be able to mix and match 2 or 3 (or more) texture packs and have access to all of those materials in a single world.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'd love to see a more comprehensive in game toolkit as well, on all platforms. The ability to select large regions and delete/cut/copy/paste would be awesome. Or even a basic "fill with current selected material" option for things.

It would speed up building, and would allow you to transform a world into whatever you want MUCH quicker.

I don't think Minecraft would benefit from this.

Part of the appeal of Minecraft is the obvious amount of work that goes into the creations that you see. If you make the creation too easy, it takes away something from the finished product.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    It'd seem more likely for MC2 to focus on bringing paid DLC to the consoles, possibly making deals for some of the now available mods for that purpose. Stuff like Tinkers Construct and Twilight Forest would probably sell really well.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I don't see a Minecraft 2 happening. A backwards-compatible rewrite to throw out the Java crap, maybe, but it'll still just be Minecraft. Just like there's no Lego 2, there are just new Lego pieces.

Part of the appeal of Minecraft is the obvious amount of work that goes into the creations that you see. If you make the creation too easy, it takes away something from the finished product.

Eh, I think it would help a lot. You still need to put in a ton of work. And I'm not talking about MASSIVE selectable areas. Even something like being able to select a 5x5 maximum area or some such would be a huge improvement.

You can certainly say some would say that it takes away from the game, but it wouldn't actually change anything about it other than a slight speed up of building, especially large segments of the same stuff.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I don't see a Minecraft 2 happening. A backwards-compatible rewrite to throw out the Java crap, maybe, but it'll still just be Minecraft. Just like there's no Lego 2, there are just new Lego pieces.

With the amount of time and development work a total engine rewrite would require, I'd be surprised if they did it without trying to recoup some of that cost through selling a new version. Any sequel would sell utterly ridiculous numbers of units.

I'd put money on Minecraft 2 built around Azure for cross-platform servers, with a new engine and optimised so that the full version could be played on phones and tablets, plus heavy hooks into the Microsoft Store and Wallet.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

There is TOTALLY a Lego 2.

It's called K'Nex, and it's shit.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    the terrifying future revealed!

kfjza5ff136w.jpg

How are those blocks floating? Does Minecraft not have a physics engine?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: For most things, no.

Longerer answer: For most things, no, unless you use one of the mods that adds one, then: yes.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

It's called K'Nex, and it's K'new.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Microsoft claims they will break even on the $2.5 billion in a year.

Microsoft Buys Minecraft Mojang
    In a press release, Microsoft officials said they expect the acquisition to be "break-even" in Fiscal Year 2015, which ends June 30, 2015, on a GAAP basis.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

In a press release, Microsoft officials said they expect the acquisition to be "break-even" in Fiscal Year 2015, which ends June 30, 2015, on a GAAP basis.

and what they actually mean by that.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/15/6153497/microsoft-minecraft-2-billion-deal

they'll make more from the purchase of Mojang/Minecraft than they would have had they left the money sitting in the back making interest.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Which is how a company manages money. "We have too much money, someone acquire something" is not an abnormal sentiment.

What is this I don't even.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Normally I'd agree with you, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. They'll find a way to make Minecraft 2. (And by "find a way" I mean they'll put in a bunch of superfluous new features that could have easily been patched into the regular game and slap a "2" on it)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Which is how a company manages money. "We have too much money, someone acquire something" is not an abnormal sentiment.

Better than how a lot of them manage it.
    "We came in under budget this year, quick spend it on something so we don't get a budget cut next year!"

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Minecraft 2 is a great idea. Decouple from Java, add proper hardware-acceleration, multi-core support, a materials system and a properties-based approach to blocks, fluids, items, mobs, etc'. Build a new engine from the grounds up with modding and server management in mind.

But I seriously doubt that's what a Microsoft-made Minecraft 2 would be about.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll switch from Java to something else for the sequel

Oh god

Minecraft Silverlight

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing would be a world editor, along the lines of SimCity style games. Let me set up the world I want to build in - lakes, mountains, islands, etc. I think there are mods for this type of thing, but it would be nice to have a built in "Landscape Creator". However, only natural features can be tweaked and once the world is created, it's on you to build in it.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    MInecraft 2: Now With Curves.

forumsig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    MInecraft 2: Now With Curves.

Probably best to license the Quake 3 engine for that.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Now Microsoft just need to buy Dwarf Fortress and combine them into one huge processor-destroying megasim.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Normally I'd agree with you, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. They'll find a way to make Minecraft 2. (And by "find a way" I mean they'll put in a bunch of superfluous new features that could have easily been patched into the regular game and slap a "2" on it)

At some point though, how much patched content is enough for a full on resale of the game?
    There isn't a reason to continue updating stuff anymore, because you can start putting game mechanics out for free and new content can be sold as expansions. Imagine something like the Twilight Forest being a $5 expansion to the base game, or something similar.

PSN: jfrofl
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I could go for a Minecraft 2 if it rebuilds the game from scratch and eliminates all of the jankiness. Minecraft 1 will always be there anyway.

What I'm really hoping for is proper cloud support on the console versions.

Arteen on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Circles.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Making it so the building ceiling was higher would be a good change that would require a new engine.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm sure there would be a more efficient way to render chunks, too. The have still has that bug with invisible chunks where you can see down to the bottom of the world.

What is this I don't even.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Put into a new non-java engine, you could achieve some things: Better performance on pretty much every device by making it multi core supported. Higher build ceiling. Better fluids performance.

I'd honestly love to see Redstone reworked where it didn't actually take up a block, and could be something placed "inside" another block, with you controlling where the entry/exit points were so you could do more complex and more compact designs with it.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The thing that immediately kills Minecraft for me when I look at it is the crafting system. Not the idea that I have to craft everything, but that stupid grid thing.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Microsoft's rivals were strong advocates of the plan "Buy Paul Allen an entire, authentic German Panzer Corps."

Needles to say, they're very disappointed, and Microsoft should expect the mail bomb campaign to start in earnest next week.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

It's called K'Nex, and it's shit.

Hey, K'Nex and Legos aren't even similar things. Legos are blocks you stack together to make structures. K'Nex are various rods and connectors you stick together to create structures. K'Nex is closer to actual architecture with beams.

Madican on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    The thing that immediately kills Minecraft for me when I look at it is the crafting system. Not the idea that I have to craft everything, but that stupid grid thing.

Im sure theres mods that remove this on PC, but on console they dont have it thank god.

edited September 2014
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Bonepart wrote: »

and what they actually mean by that.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/15/6153497/microsoft-minecraft-2-billion-deal

they'll make more from the purchase of Mojang/Minecraft than they would have had they left the money sitting in the back making interest.

This is something I think a lot of people are forgetting about this deal.

Yes Microsoft paid 2.5billion. For this investment to be worth it, it doesn't have to make them back more than 2.5 billion. Even across multiple years. Remember, the thing that they bought for 2.5 billion isn't gone. They have it now, and it's worth 2.5 billion because that's what they paid. If they can earn, say, 150 million in revenue in the next year, that's a 6% return on investment. Not earthshattering, but worth the acquisition, given what it will do for their Xbox brand if they can associate it with Minecraft.

Better than how a lot of them manage it.
    "We came in under budget this year, quick spend it on something so we don't get a budget cut next year!"

That's not how companies work, that's how employees within a company work. In fact, it's precisely because companies don't work like that that employees do. If a company sees a department coming in under budget, they don't praise them. Well, they might. But they also cut their budget for next year, because that's how good business works.

But managers of departments don't want that. Sure, they came in under budget one year, they think, but what about next year? You want to keep the flexibility to be able to spend if needed. So they make sure that their budget stays constant.

Dhalphir on