As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They did the thing in finale of [The Legend of Korra]!

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    put a sock in it!! ;)

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't think Korra wins because she is the best at bending, she wins because she has the support of a community that she helped form, and Zaheer has slowly removed himself from any community he could have. I think the closing fight in this season had a decent amount of thematic heft to it.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    You expected what? A lively debate moderated by an impartial party?

I can understand being put off by zaheer's philosophical devolution into a less interesting "rah rah evil" character, but being put off that it ended in a fight is a bit unexpected.

that's silly yer silly

like random example, The Dark Knight is about a philosophical argument between batman and the joker

and even though there's a big action scene during the climax, the movie makes a point of framing that action scene in the context of that argument. Batman doesn't just win because he punches the joker real good, he wins because he won the argument.
    And Korra wins because the Avatar inspires people to work together with more power than the anarchic solo strength of Zaheer. It's the combined force of a group of people that would never have bonded without the culture, leadership, and Avatar that the Red Lotus explicitly stands against.

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    After Book Two's climax, Book Three's was incredibly awesome.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

book 2 is incredibly impressive for making a finale where the hero grows into a giant to fight a giant monster terrorizing a city super boring

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

book 2 is incredibly impressive for making a finale where the hero grows into a giant to fight a giant monster terrorizing a city super boring

If it wasn't for the outpouring of praise in this thread for season 3 I wouldn't even have bothered after how disappointed I was with season 2, to be honest.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am really curious to see how Korra's condition going into season 4 is handled, I kind of hope it isn't swept under the rug and fixed really quickly like Korra losing her bending was in season 1, or the huge impact merging the spirit and normal worlds together in season 3 was. I mean, there was basically some scenes at the start of the season about that and then nothing. I really hoping this season deals with the results of what has happened so far in the show.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    But that's my birthday

Happy Birthday me

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Korra got her bending back so fast because season one was more or less done before they knew the show was getting more seasons. They didn't want the show to end on a depressing cliffhanger.

YL9WnCY.png
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Why is it everyone keeps saying that opening the portals to the spirit world was wrapped up after a few scenes? Has everyone forgotten the consequences of that? A few vines, a few cute new animals, oh and the revival of the air nation which becomes the center of the rest of the season. Is the thought of Korra fighting some plants really that much more compelling than what we have?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Why is it everyone keeps saying that opening the portals to the spirit world was wrapped up after a few scenes? Has everyone forgotten the consequences of that? A few vines, a few cute new animals, oh and the revival of the air nation which becomes the center of the rest of the season. Is the thought of Korra fighting some plants really that much more compelling than what we have?

considering that Korra gets exiled from Republic City because it was overrun with spirits, it was weird that the issue of spirits worming their way into the physical world wasn't really touched on after that

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Air benders coming back is still humans dealing with humans, not humans dealing with other wordly spirit creatures, which is where the real complication of Korra's decision would be cropping up.

Except it really wouldn't be from the Avatar perspective. There is nothing the Avatar can do. She can't go to every person or spirit and tell them to stop being dicks. They just have to learn to love together on their own. Trying to recreate one of the 4 nations of the world is much more up her alley.

recreating one of the four nations wouldn't be up her alley. There's nothing the Avatar can do. She can't go door to door to every new airbender in the world and ask them to join the new air nation. they just have to become air nomads on their own. resolving the conflict with the spirits and the humans is much more up her alley

edited September 2014
    recreating one of the four nations wouldn't be up her alley. There's nothing the Avatar can do. She can't go door to door to every new airbender in the world and ask them to join the new air nation. they just have to become air nomads on their own. resolving the conflict with the spirits and the humans is much more up her alley

See this would have worked if that was what recreating a nation was like. Which, ya know, we saw it wasn't. When you have people ebslaving spirits for an army, which from what we have seen kinda can't happen, you will be closer to a point if still not really there.

Edit: I guess my problem is I don't see a main villain as possible. Spirit is pissed off because humans suck? Just spend all his time in the spirit world. Problem solved. Spirits fucking with humans too much? Either purify him, or humans are just going to have to deal with it. We have never seen any avatar do much more than ask then to play nice really. It's not like they can be banished at this point. So where does the story come from that isn't a bunch of disconnected adventures of the week?

Gnizmo on
    The avatar literally did go from door to door recruiting people to the air nation

That is a thing that actually happened on the show

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

considering that Korra gets exiled from Republic City because it was overrun with spirits, it was weird that the issue of spirits worming their way into the physical world wasn't really touched on after that

Book 1 kind of has this same issue. It starts out with a really interesting premise, but devolves into Korra vs crazypants guy, and they never really talked about it again, except in book 2 where they announce 'well we fixed it'

Javen on
    the spirits don't seem particularly active outside of republic city except for a few harmless ones at the spring town and the northern air temple

like if you lived in ba sing se I don't think you would even notice that there has apparently been a massive shift in the metaphysical order

PNk1Ml4.png
    Javen wrote: »

Book 1 kind of has this same issue. It starts out with a really interesting premise, but devolves into Korra vs crazypants guy, and they never really talked about it again, except in book 2 where they announce 'well we fixed it'

yes, this show has a bad habit of introducing really interesting concepts and then... not really following through with them at all, and ultimately massively simplifying them for the finale

PNk1Ml4.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    But that's my birthday

Happy Birthday me

Gumpy, for your birthday, Super Smash Bros is coming out in all major non-Japan markets and a new season of Korra is starting. I'm nominating your birthday for best best birthday.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

The avatar literally did go from door to door recruiting people to the air nation

Yes, I remember that episode. What happened for the other 12 again?

A greater plot arose out of those smaller story beats, including a few episodes focusing on side stories that had little to nothing to do with the core plot (talkin about the bei fong stuff)

I don't know why you think the same wouldn't happen in a story focusing on spirits. Korra handles some minor issues, a large spirit threat like, say, Koh shows up and has to be dealt with, and the story continues to escalate up until the finale

Yes, I remember that episode. What happened for the other 12 again?

holy shit owned!!

PNk1Ml4.png
    Also, I really hate that I'm doing this, but
    I'm completely for Korra/Asami. I think going that route would be fantastic, for a few reasons. Asami also seems like one of the only people who honestly is really concerned with Korra as a person, and not just the Avatar, or is more concerned with the world or balance.

I swear to yeezus if they don't canonize korrasami in this final season when they're not even on tv

PNk1Ml4.png
    Yeah, considering they're not up for renewal and not even on the network itself, there's no reason they shouldn't go for broke.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Still being produced by and hosted by Nick, it's not like they're completely free of executive oversight here.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    A greater plot arose out of those smaller story beats, including a few episodes focusing on side stories that had little to nothing to do with the core plot (talkin about the bei fong stuff)

I don't know why you think the same wouldn't happen in a story focusing on spirits. Korra handles some minor issues, a large spirit threat like, say, Koh shows up and has to be dealt with, and the story continues to escalate up until the finale

Because that has never been how spirits work even once in the Avatar universe. What about Koh you ask? The guy that showed up, stole the face of the Avatar's loved one and left unscathed to teach him a lesson? What story is there with it?

Koh is stealing faces. Avatar asks him to knock it off. He listens or he doesn't. The end? We just came off dealing with the biggest baddest spirit in existence and it was only stopped by absorbing it into the Avatar. The other way of stopping them is literally what caused the spirits to exist. There is no story here. It just doesn't exist.

The problems people are having is we get short narrative arcs they want fleshed out. Want more spirit stuff? That was the arc of Book 2. Having Book 3 deal with it is retreading the same ground but with less of a sense of impending peril because the big bad is gone. Want more equalists? That's book 1s deal. Doing it again without Amon isn't going to be fun to watch. Retreading ground is what they have been trying not to do. That is why they had Korrastart at almost a fully realized Avatar, and got it fully out of the way in Book 1. It is also why there isn't a big focus on traveling the world I suspect. The stories you want just aren't in a series with his tight a narrative arc for better or worse.

Pretending that someone dealing with the air nation rising again isn't dealing with the spirit world stuff is nonsense though. It was a direct result of it happening with massive implications for what a balanced world is. What else could it be considered?

JayKaos wrote: »
    Still being produced by and hosted by Nick, it's not like they're completely free of executive oversight here.

the executives aren't the problem

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited September 2014
    I feel like you are failing to imagine a story involving the spirits and then assuming that you can't think of one because one doesn't exist rather than you can't think of one because you're being insufficiently creative

Speed Racer on
    Alternatively don't make a huge stink early on about how the spirits are overrunning everything if you have no interest in actually examining that idea

An exhaustive list of things you can't make an interesting story out of:

JayKaos wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_Nowhere

anyways the real disappointment would be if they went back to the mako/korra well after the shit mako pulled in book 2

nick also syndicated degrassi

PNk1Ml4.png
    Alternatively don't make a huge stink early on about how the spirits are overrunning everything if you have no interest in actually examining that idea

Huge stink? They said she couldn't do anything about the spirits in Republic City that ends with her getting kicked out of it and the rest of the season follows. It was the B story of one episode. You also ignore what I said about retreading ground which is hugely relevant. How do you differentiate and stray true to how spirits are depicted in Avatar universe? Being able to make an interesting story in abstract does not equate to an interesting story for a given show.

The problem was so severe that the protagonist was exiled from the primary setting of the show for instigating it yeah I'd call that a huge stink

And the idea of "spirits" is so vague and broad that if you can't think of a way to handle it that doesn't retread ground from book 2 then again that's you failing to be creative

story idea: hank hill, a working class propane salesman in republic city, butts heads with the carrot spirit who moved in next door

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the devolution of zaheer was the worst part of the finale, but while it was incongruous with the rest of the season it is still great by its own merits

That's the problem they had with all of Korra's villains.

They're all presented as villains with shades of grey and some legitimate point but then turned out to be pure evil crazy people.

And it is pretty disappointing how they've westernized eastern ideas about the balance between yang and yang and made it about good vs. evil.