As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Should I trade Asiata+Patterson for Andre Johnson? Any Texans fans want to weigh in? Haven't watched him play this year.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I agree that 90+ in full pads does seem dangerous but you can sub a lot more in football than in other sports (and dudes were straight up getting IVs on the sidelines) so maybe it's not so terrible

IF I HAD TO DO TWO A DAYS IN 90 DEGREE HEAT FOR EIGHT HOURS WHILE THE COACHES DEPRIVED US WATER THESE PAMPERED MILLIONAIRES CAN PLAY A GAME WITH IVS

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    I agree that 90+ in full pads does seem dangerous but you can sub a lot more in football than in other sports (and dudes were straight up getting IVs on the sidelines) so maybe it's not so terrible

If players need to get IVs on the sidelines, I think that means its pretty damn terrible. Yeah, both teams deal with the same weather, but you need to consider health and safety when it starts to approach extremes like that.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Hey Fear and Loathing, feel free to pick up Adrian Peterson who I just dropped from my team. I'm assuming this awful shit always happened and it's just now we're hearing about it but what the fuck. I can't even imagine what a 4 year old could do to deserve that :(

PRAGMATISM WINS TITLES

*scoops Adrian peterson*

I really try not to be that person. I get people make mistakes but fuck man, the Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and Aaron Hernandez things are all different degrees of brutal. Hurting a child though? I can't even.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the IVs aren't necessary. They're just being used to clear up cramps ASAP so the players can get back in the game instead of drinking water and resting til you rehydrate like a normal person

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

If players need to get IVs on the sidelines, I think that means its pretty damn terrible. Yeah, both teams deal with the same weather, but you need to consider health and safety when it starts to approach extremes like that.

Yeah that seems like something where heat stroke and death on the field can become serious problems. And kids in high school have died during conditions like that in practice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Also when it rains or snows. Players could slip and fall.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    In all honesty, 120-degree weather should mean the game is cancelled. These guys are wearing so much padding and clothing, and they are exerting themselves so much, that they could easily suffer from a heat stroke.

It was 94 degrees.

94 was the temp at the stadium but multiple places have reported that it was 118+ on some parts of the field. Not sure how exactly that works but they aren't Pulling that number from nowhere

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Body acclimation to a different climate is a real thing. Just like someone who is normally at sea level would have a hard time playing somewhere like Denver or Provo, living in a very mild climate such as the PNW and then going to San Diego in 118 degree heat and trying to play at your same level is not going to be easy. The players who are already in san diego and therefore used to the heat will have an advantage.

This is verified by science.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Should I trade Asiata+Patterson for Andre Johnson? Any Texans fans want to weigh in? Haven't watched him play this year.

why would you do this? asiata is going to get consistent carries and patterson is a legit playmaker in a norv turner offense. like, would it shock anybody if patterson ended up with at least as many points as AJ this year? bad trade, imo

knight11e wrote: »

why would you do this? asiata is going to get consistent carries and patterson is a legit playmaker in a norv turner offense. like, would it shock anybody if patterson ended up with at least as many points as AJ this year? bad trade, imo

Patterson could outscore Johnson, sure, but I think the odds are still against it. I'm trying to improve my starting lineup (Patterson to Johnson) at the expense of my bench (Asiata). Just not sure how much the jump in value to Johnson is.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Currently have my lineup for week 3 looking like this:

QB: Newton (v Pit)
    WR: Bryant (@ Stl)
    WR: Patterson (@ NO)
    RB: Murray (@ Stl)
    RB: Spiller (v SD)
    TE: Gronkowski (v Oak)
    FX: Knile Davis (@ Mia)

Bench:

Wayne (@ Jax)
    J. Cameron (v Bal)
    Watkins (v SD)

Really thinking of moving Watkins into my WR2 slot, but that Wayne matchup looks damn tasty...

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Body acclimation to a different climate is a real thing. Just like someone who is normally at sea level would have a hard time playing somewhere like Denver or Provo, living in a very mild climate such as the PNW and then going to San Diego in 118 degree heat and trying to play at your same level is not going to be easy. The players who are already in san diego and therefore used to the heat will have an advantage.

I remember one year I stayed down in Cali through fall quarter. When I got back up to Seattle for Winter Quarter I was freezing for a month. And I grew up in cold ass eastern washington. But that doesnt mean much if you spend half a year down in Cali.

They delay games for lightning, I don't see why they can't delay games for extreme heat, it doesn't suddenly mean you have to play no items final destination. It just means when weather conditions by themselves can murder players and fans maybe you should give it a couple hours.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    San Diego has a good ball control offense.

New Orleans has a TERRIBLE defense. And it's going to be in a DOME.

Wayne is old.

Stick with Patterson.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    aww yiss

d40771b9d08cb946c94450e2a0f1ad02d7c4476413fcfffe6553f1f5e70fe243_large

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If

Johnson is doing well, I think he got 100 yards and 60 on his first two games, but he's in that position right now where he's getting the first downs and yards after carrying and Deandre Hopkins or Arian Foster are getting the big plays.

From what I see though Fitzpatrick is looking to get the ball to Andre this year instead of swinging to TEs, but it just hasn't happened yet in a way that would make fantasy players take note.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    In all honesty, 120-degree weather should mean the game is cancelled. These guys are wearing so much padding and clothing, and they are exerting themselves so much, that they could easily suffer from a heat stroke.

It was 94 degrees.

Yeah I think with humidity it "felt like" 120. Pats in Miami felt like 110 IIRC

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I remember one year I stayed down in Cali through fall quarter. When I got back up to Seattle for Winter Quarter I was freezing for a month. And I grew up in cold ass eastern washington. But that doesnt mean much if you spend half a year down in Cali.

I'm in pretty cold Massachusetts and weather that leads to a jacket in November is t-shirt weather in March

Humanity adapts

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited September 2014
    Preacher wrote: »
    They delay games for lightning, I don't see why they can't delay games for extreme heat, it doesn't suddenly mean you have to play no items final destination. It just means when weather conditions by themselves can murder players and fans maybe you should give it a couple hours.

The heat doesn't really cause that big a threat to their lives. There's so much focus on keeping them hydrated that there are people who's primary responsibility is to squirt liquid into their mouths on demand. Heat is only really a threat for football players with irresponsible coaches denying hydration while doing two-a-days in August

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    Oh good! Reggie Bush goes on the radio and admits he "harshly disciplines" his 1 year old daughter. That's going to end well.

http://deadspin.com/reggie-bush-admits-to-harshly-disciplining-his-1-year-1635845101

Protip to people who don't have kids: There has never been a 1 year old baby that has ever done ANYTHING wrong EVER.

Well there hasn't been a 1 year old who understands enough to even know what right or wrong is, or that physical punishment can even be in the realm of administering a correction.

Holy shit that's awful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Well there hasn't been a 1 year old who understands enough to even know what right or wrong is, or that physical punishment can even be in the realm of administering a correction.

Holy shit that's awful.

There just aren't words. He thought it was ok to say this ON THE RADIO.

Holy shit that's awful.

There just aren't words. He thought it was ok to say this ON THE RADIO.

In a way its nice to get some sunlight on this issue, maybe we can put this bullshit to bed about physical punishment. Like I was spanked as a child but the funny thing is I remember the punishment but not the crime, most people who are adults have a similar issue from who I've talked with, so if the point of a spanking is to issue a correction, shouldn't I remember what I was being spanked for and not just the spanking?

pleasepaypreacher.net
    What in the fuck. I want to cry.

To be fair its a bit ambiguous whether he actually physically hits the 1 year old now or if he's saying he will. But yeah hitting a 1 year old is never anything but evil

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    You guys, its okay. Reggie Bush says he will try not to leave bruises on his 1 year old daughter. He can't guarantee it obviously, but he super promises that he will at least try to not use his NFL strength on a 1 year old baby. Totes okay

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    You poopied in your pants again! That's a paddlin'.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    And suddenly, thousands of fantasy football players rushed to make a trade offer for Joique Bell.

edited September 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    To be fair its a bit ambiguous whether he actually physically hits the 1 year old now or if he's saying he will. But yeah hitting a 1 year old is never anything but evil

No he does "I most definitely discipline my daughter. I have a 1-year-old daughter, and I discipline her. Obviously, every person is different, and I definitely will use my best judgement to discipline her depending on the situation and what happens. I definitely will try to obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her, but I definitely will discipline her, harshly, depending on what the situation is"

Metal Jared on
    He could be like, using the future tense because he hasn't done it yet. I don't know I'm grasping at straws I just don't want to believe a 1 year old is really getting physically hurt by the person they are supposed to trust and love.

And "discipline" is ambiguous. Like grounding someone or timeouts or just saying no could be called disciplining. It definitely seems like what he's saying includes corporal punishment and he definitely seems to be defending Peterson

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    It's the "try not to leave bruises" that is just disgusting.

Like, I'll give it a shot guys, but no guarantees that I won't physically injure my baby for doing things I don't like. It's pretty hard to discipline a baby without hurting her, y'know? Just tough for a full grown adult to accomplish. So, no promises.

what

edited September 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    And "discipline" is ambiguous. Like grounding someone or timeouts or just saying no could be called disciplining. It definitely seems like what he's saying includes corporal punishment and he definitely seems to be defending Peterson

The kid is ONE YEAR OLD. Whatever punishment he gives is shitty. Leave the baby in their room alone crying as a 'timeout'? You're a fucking asshole. Yelling at your one year old? You're a fucking asshole. Hitting your baby? You're a fucking asshole THAT BELONGS IN JAIL. I get it, it's hard to understand if you don't have a kid. A one year old is a baby. It can't do anything for itself. It is totally dependant on you for everything. It doesn't do wrong things it just reacts. Here are thing things you should give to your 1 year old:

1. Food, water, shelter, saftey.

2. Your unconditional love and support

Please note punishment isn't on the list.

Metal Jared on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Maybe he keeps a sock filled with oranges laying around for when he really needs to provide some discipline.

'cause one year olds get into the worst kind of trouble.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    what the fuck

steam_sig.png
    Man who would have thought that between the pairing of Kim Kardashian and Reggie Bush, Kardashian would be the better parent.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    For a PPR league maybe, no for standard format. Andre Johnson is looking good, but I think the upside of Asiata and Patterson are too great, especially if you get points for Kick returns.

He could be like, using the future tense because he hasn't done it yet. I don't know I'm grasping at straws I just don't want to believe a 1 year old is really getting physically hurt by the person they are supposed to trust and love.

I'm just assuming he was trying to side with Peterson and say he agrees with that method of punishment, but was live on the radio and not the most eloquent public speaker and said stuff he didn't fully mean, like how he walked back the switch comment.

At least I sure hope that's the case, I figure most people don't go on the radio and publicly announce they hit their baby

C8Ft8GE.jpg