As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Landmark] is gone and all we have are memories (and screenshots)

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    So things like bathtubs and chairs you make? What about lighting?

Here's what what the crafting looks like:

Go to this machine:
    TpowIGM.jpg

And then scroll down to the Props category you want:
    10Hm0tZ.jpg

There are tons of lighting props you can craft. Everything from fireplaces and candles to simple glowing orbs that you can use modularly with voxels to make your own lamps and other lighting. There's also a type of voxel material called lumicite that glows in the dark.

There are also items that give light buffs to you when you're out and about, like in a dark cave or mining at night in the forest. Those are also craftable, plus there are versions that drop from chests found in caves.

As far as I know there's almost nothing in this game that isn't just craftable or a drop from chests. The exceptions are the Founder's Pack items, and the promotional item codes given away on Twitch streams and stuff. Those are usually just slightly cooler versions of things that exist elsewhere in the game (like right now, you can make moving platforms for your claim, but the streamers are giving out codes for translucent moving platforms).

Kylindra on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    You people are brilliant! Thanks so much!

Is the Founders Pack pick-axe better than whats craftable right now? Can it be upgraded?

edited September 2014
    You people are brilliant! Thanks so much!

Is the Founders Pack pick-axe better than whats craftable right now? Can it be upgraded?

Not really and no.

So, the Founders Pickaxe is both a pick and and an axe.

As a pick, it operates as a nicer version of the Copper Pick, allowing you to skip both that and the Stone Pick that most people start with, giving you a leg up the crafting tree. It would probably save you less than an hour of time, but possibly a lot of aggravation, since it's also faster than a starting pick. But you'd still have to build yourself an Iron Pick pretty much right away to mine higher level materials.

As an axe, it's pretty good. It can, at the moment, chop all the trees in the game. It's fast compared to early axes, but certainly not fast compared to end-game axes. My current top-tier axe is around twice as fast as a Founder's.

As for upgrading, it cannot be upgraded at all, but it's already blue quality (crafted stuff starts at green quality), so it's kind of pre-upgraded. But you can get much better stats by upgrading something you've crafted. I haven't used my founder's pickaxe in a long time, since I've had better things for quite awhile. That said, I will be happy to have it when the wipe for Open Beta comes, because it'll save me some time early on for sure.

Kylindra on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Recent updates seem to have made the game actually playable for me.

so now I need to figure out how to get the heart wood to make an Iron pickaxe so I can progress past the limitation of my founders pick.

Buttcleft wrote: »
    Recent updates seem to have made the game actually playable for me.

so now I need to figure out how to get the heart wood to make an Iron Pickaxe so I can progress past the limitation of my founders pick.

Heartwood drops from most trees, usually 1-2 per tree. But in order to craft something with it, you usually need to infuse the heartwood with another rare wood from a specific tree. In the case of an iron mining pick, you need Wild Heartwood, which is made from infusing heartwood with palm heart, which is found in certain jungle trees: http://landmark.gamepedia.com/Palm_Heart

If you're not sure how to find a jungle, check out the Island List in the OP. It'll steer you to an island with a jungle biome where you can grab a bunch of palm heart.

If you need access to crafting stations for infusing the heartwood and whatnot, feel free to use the ones in my basement. My claim is on Serenity-Lowland, in the snowy area NW of spawn. Or you can search in the Gallery for "Sage's Cabin" and use a shard to teleport there (at least the first time, that way you'll know where it is later). And while you're crafting, stock up on portal shards. You do NOT want to run out of those. :)

I assume Tropical is the same as Jungle?

I assume Tropical is the same as Jungle?

Oh, yeah.

Thanks @Kylindra‌

Thanks for the info on the founders pick-axe. At this point, if you're in the beta already, is there anything else in the founders pack that makes it worth it?

Sigh, looks like I spoke to soon about the game, you know, actually running.

At least I managed to find palm heart before it stopped working.

Thanks for the info on the founders pick-axe. At this point, if you're in the beta already, is there anything else in the founders pack that makes it worth it?

Not really. The Mastercraft bracer is theoretically nice but in practice I haven't noticed any effects, the random is too strong. And the other stuff is just cosmetic.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Are you running on max graphics? Because for me, I can run it on max graphics for a bit before it just chokes up. The chokings happens fastest in Tropical or Forest biomes, or near a Cave. But setting the graphics down to medium fixes it and makes the game super playable again. Now I pretty much leave the settings on medium unless I'm on my own claim, on a barren desert island (technically a penninsula thanks to a ten foot wide isthmus) in the sea where there's no trees to slow things down.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Decomposey wrote: »

Are you running on max graphics? Because for me, I can run it on max graphics for a bit before it just chokes up. The chokings happens fastest in Tropical or Forest biomes, or near a Cave. But setting the graphics down to medium fixes it and makes the game super playable again. Now I pretty much leave the settings on medium unless I'm on my own claim, on a barren desert island (technically a penninsula thanks to a ten foot wide isthmus) in the sea where there's no trees to slow things down.

Everything is on the lowest.

Can't even get it to load, as soon as it gets in game its a black screen or frozen screen, but I can still hear the character moving around and mining when I press buttons.

Another minor patch today: https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-9-17-14.48275/

Biggest thing this brings is the ability to see tags on the map. Should make it a lot easier to find pvp claims!

My access to the beta was for a mere 7 days. I played it all 7 days.

I want to say hurry up beta but you take your time Landmark devs/testers, get it right.

Ok, no, HURRY THE FUCK UP!

My access to the beta was for a mere 7 days. I played it all 7 days.

I want to say hurry up beta but you take your time Landmark devs/testers, get it right.

Ok, no, HURRY THE FUCK UP!

I wish they'd fix whatever the problem is that makes the game unplayable, cause I know I'm not the only one with the exact same problems.

There is nothing worse than wanting to play a game on your computer and your computer says no....or the game says no to the computer...or they both say no to each other.

Especially frustrating when that game is the ONLY one that is fucked.

I am seriously sending good calm energy your way.

This week's patch:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-9-25-14.48612/

Highlights:

-You can now prepay for claim upkeep for longer based on how long you've had a claim, up to a max of 30 days if you've had your claim for a few months! For all current players, you'll be set to having had a claim for 30 days (since they weren't keeping track up until now). That's the level at which you are entitled to pre-pay for 15 days at a time, the previous maximum.
    -Observer Mode for PvP, including Free Camera mode which lets you fly around the claim and see it from any angle
    - Cross World Queue - you can queue up for a game and then leave the island, and still stay in the queue
    - Active PvP games will now have a marker in the Gallery!

These changes should make it MUCH easier to find PvP stuff going on, and to participate or watch. I finally had a chance to PvP the other day, and I spent quite awhile just looking for a game first. I found out that pretty much the only way to find an active pvp game was to get in the chat channel pvp (/join pvp) and ask.

BUT, when I finally got in, Teldra and I got to fight each other and some other folks in GIANT PINBALL MACHINE, complete with bumpers that knocked you back and a spawn point that sent you shooting out a tube. Cool stuff!!

Halloween patch!

SbpRgbh.png

Patch notes here:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-10-2-14.48847/

Highlights:
    -Halloween props!
    -Chests can be moved with items inside them now!
    -UI improvements
    -Optimizations continue, FPS/performance should improve

Also! Official Halloween build contest for an in-game title "Master Ghoul", a Halloween outfit code, and a Halloween prop code. Contest starts now and ends October 17th! Details here:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/spooky-spots-happy-haunts-its-time-for-a-building-competition.48832/

Minor hotfix notes with one noteworthy item:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-10-6-14.48991/

"We have also increased the capacity of personal storage for raw resources to 900,000 up from 100,000. Also expanded the capacity of vault raw resource storage to 500,000, up from 100,000.

Please note that in the future, the expansion of personal storage will be unlocked via Progression / Achievements. This is a temporary increase for Closed Beta."

Neat! I hope they add more inventory improvements soon, it's a really underdeveloped area of the game right now, particularly with regard to props.

WHOA.

They updated the Blueprint, and there's some new stuff there that's pretty exciting!

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-updated-10-06-14.34413/

Highlights:

- Player created waypoints : Players can create waypoints and share them with their group. (Coming end of October)
    - Salvaging and new equipment in early November!
    - Leylines : Faster travel shortcuts across the surface of the world, and when Caves comes out (below), also below ground. (Coming end of November)
    - Monsters coming end of November
    - Deeper Caves early December

Also, this mysterious tidbit:

"Also, there is a major new "Linking and Triggering" (L&T) system that will be introduced in various phases throughout this schedule. We just haven't figured out all the scheduling details for it yet. (L&T is the interaction system that lets you create behaviors for props/objects.)"

They've said before we'll get all the tools they use to make EQNext to play with inside Landmark to make our own stuff. Soon we'll start to see more of that!

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    ok since I'm burned out on GW2 I might try this

how stupid would it be to try to re-create various Kingdom Hearts environments in this game

(really stupid especially for me, Lord "I made a dirt shack in Minecraft! That's the end of the game for me!")

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    edited October 2014
    ok since I'm burned out on GW2 I might try this

how stupid would it be to try to re-create various Kingdom Hearts environments in this game

(really stupid especially for me, Lord "I made a dirt shack in Minecraft! That's the end of the game for me!")

Once you get to used to the tools, not stupid at all! They are REALLY powerful and anyone can make stuff look cool with a little practice. I can show you many things, and get you started with some stuffs. There's a tutorial feature where you can watch someone else's building animations (like you can see me make selections and manipulate paste volumes and stuff).

I personally have zero artistic ability, but thanks to Landmark's powerful tools and ever-growing selection of props, I've been able to do stuff like this:

KHFqaJX.jpg

and this:

8m02SJm.jpg

...which don't look too shabby, although not nearly on the level of the people who really know what they're doing:

Q2GVJdh.jpg

So I'd say.......give it a shot! :)

Kylindra on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    So... I saw in another thread that this game actually has combat and stuff now? Is it worth trying out for a person that has less-than-zero interest in creating content? I look at things like Minecraft and Terraria and I would rather turn off the computer and go pull weeds in my front yard than play with that. (No offense intended to those who enjoy it; it's just not for me.)

Is there a game here yet, or is it still a minecraft sandbox with no real purpose?

26904.png
    Stupid wrote: »
    So... I saw in another thread that this game actually has combat and stuff now? Is it worth trying out for a person that has less-than-zero interest in creating content? I look at things like Minecraft and Terraria and I would rather turn off the computer and go pull weeds in my front yard than play with that. (No offense intended to those who enjoy it; it's just not for me.)

Is there a game here yet, or is it still a minecraft sandbox with no real purpose?

For you I'd say wait. The combat is more like proto-combat, it's in extremely early testing. They are adding more every week but the combat is not really very good yet and there's nothing to fight yet except other players. PvE isn't in yet, just player-made PvP, and if you're new you would likely spend most of your time trying to figure out where to go for that since the travelling stuff (like player-made waypoints) isn't in yet and the existing options are fairly well hidden. I'd say wait for Open Beta for anyone not interesting in building.

So, this game has a weird dichotomy going on between being an MMO and being Minecraft, and the truce between those two things has finally fallen apart with the introduction of additional weapon skills. It's also really screwed up keybindings and controls in general, and right now it's a bit of a mess.

I made a feedback post about it in the official forums, if any of you have comments I'd love to have you chime in!

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-problem-with-keybindings-isnt-just-about-keybindings-its-time-for-build-mode.49446/

As said previously, you can really do a lot with practice, and very little artistic ability. Below are screenshots of my claim, which was 90% created in 3 steps. Step 1, remove stone with delete tool. Step 2, paint chunks of remaining stone grass in random pattern. Step three, place props (items that the devs already made all pretty for you). That's it. A few chunks were painting a different color stone instead of grass, or one part was really crazy and painted LAVA, but mostly just digging a hole, sloshing paint, then placing props.

screenshot_20141018-01-47-01_zpsa2cfd155.png

The rest spoilered for scroll
    screenshot_20141018-01-41-54_zpsf68290d8.png

screenshot_20141018-01-41-28_zps974941c3.png

screenshot_20141018-01-40-20_zpsf771b3d0.png

screenshot_20141018-01-40-41_zps0f67d245.png

screenshot_20141018-02-00-51_zpsc475ec0e.png

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Patch notes!

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-10-30-14.49897/

Highlights:

-Multithreaded rendering and SLI! Yay better graphics/performance!
    -Reverting most of the terrible keybinding/control changes from last patch
    -Adding a modal toolbar while building
    -Basically fixing all the godawful bugs from the total disaster that was the previous patch

Patch notes again! It's been awhile since the last patch, probably because SOE was busy with the launch of the EQ2 expansion. But anyway, here they are:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-11-14-14.50269/

Highlights:

-FLIGHT ON CLAIMS that you have build permissions on! (to get it, craft the Builder's Bauble of Flight at any Workshop)
    -Number of expansion claims raised from 5 to 8
    -Holiday props! 'Tis the season to get ready for the inevitable winter holiday build contest. :)
    -Sign props! Not as good as being able to write on them, but direction signs are a good start.
    -More optimization! BTW the last time I checked my frame rate was WAY up and the game felt super smooth.
    -More armor types and accessories with combat stats

Been busy with other games, but it looks like Landmark is about ready to roll out some major updates. Should be fun!

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/news/producers-letter-december-2014-landmark

"We’re going to be releasing monsters and PVE combat, full caves and caverns, graveyards for when you die underground, Leylines (the network of teleportation nodes you have to discover and unlock), salvaging (which is a part of the crafting systems), the first phase of Linking and Triggering (the ability to connect objects to create complex behaviors and interactions) and new weapons, armor and accessories! "

...all in "the next few weeks"!

Is there a way to get into this beta without paying real moneys?

7 days was not enough...

Is there a way to get into this beta without paying real moneys?

7 days was not enough...

Find someone with a key? I gave all mine out already. :(

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I was part of the alpha, but I don't have a download button for Closed Beta. I received an email with a 7 day limited play, but on my account it says landmark is active.

Still no download button.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    I was part of the alpha, but I don't have a download button for Closed Beta. I received an email with a 7 day limited play, but on my account it says landmark is active.

Still no download button.

Don't know if this helps, but: https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/no-download-button.27538/

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Been busy with other games, but it looks like Landmark is about ready to roll out some major updates. Should be fun!

"We’re going to be releasing monsters and PVE combat, full caves and caverns, graveyards for when you die underground, Leylines (the network of teleportation nodes you have to discover and unlock), salvaging (which is a part of the crafting systems), the first phase of Linking and Triggering (the ability to connect objects to create complex behaviors and interactions) and new weapons, armor and accessories! "

So... is it a "real game" yet?

I will keep asking occasionally.

26904.png
    edited December 2014
    Currently its an exploring/building/resource gathering game with some PvP ability. Soon it will also have PvE elements as well. So yes, it's a real game. Saying its not a real game because it does not yet have the elements that you enjoy in your prefered genre of games makes you sound like quite the silly goose.

Decomposey on
    Stupid wrote: »
    Kylindra wrote: »

So... is it a "real game" yet?

I will keep asking occasionally.

I'm pretty excited about it, but it's still largely a bundle of potential. I would say hold on a bit longer before trying it, although my answer may change depending on how well this big update goes. I expect it to be buggy for a bit (this *is* a beta).

edited December 2014
    IT IS HERE.

This is the Big One, the update that finally brings layered caves (instead of just surface caves), monsters, crafting updates, and more changes than you can shake a mining pick at:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-17-dec-2014-let-there-be-monsters.51046/

Highlights: Everything is different. No, really, the patch notes are like a mile long. A bunch of things are now other things, and some things are no longer things, and there are new things.

Actual Highlights: Monsters! Leylines(fast travel)! Reusable Recall Stones(teleport to your claims)! New armor and weapons! The phrase "upcoming volcanic biome" has been uttered! Mining tiers are now underground instead of on different islands! Salvaging is a thing! New props including curtains and emitters (glowing stuff)! Linking and triggering system that makes props interact with other props, like light switches and hidden doors! Copy permissions so you can template someone else's stuff without build permissions! I am monopolizing the world's supply of exclamation points!

Notably for those that thought the game was too grindy for builders:
    Raw materials can now either make stuff to craft with ("cut" materials) or stuff to build with ("blocks"). The conversion rate from gathered stuff-->building mats is much more generous than if it were shared with the stuff you need to progress in the crafting system. So if you only want to build, you can go nuts on that a whole lot faster and easier and without spending all your time mining. Builders rejoice!

Notably for people who (like me!) hated the accessory-swapping game:
    Current accessories are being retired! You can still use the old ones for now but a coming update will revamp the system. I'd like to point out that I made a really, really long forum post about this problem and I feel like they might have read it because they seem to have done something about it. In general I feel like they are really listening to us testers and that's why I've been excited to participate in what is an extremely unfinished game--because I honestly feel like I'm helping to shape what it will become. The devs are really astonishingly accessible. And as this massive, earth-shattering update can testify, they deliver on their promises. :)

Kylindra on
    Mining tiers underground... I will have to test to see how this effects the ocean floor, and whether it counts as underground or as surface. And see what monsters there be! And finish my light garden. And see if I can mine from the depths of my underground home. And see what new things I can build with. And hunt things! And craft stuff! And still find time to gather copper to pay my claim upkeep.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I had a Humble key from awhile back for a week of Landmark... so I spawn into this grassy field and suddenly the trees and what not pop up and bam! -- I die.

I think I'm just going to recreate and hope my new character has better luck as the mobs right outside of the graveyard are not keen on me getting out.

Any idea what I died to when I spawned the first time? (I said a 'hello' in the chat in-game but it seems like there's no one on...)

(Edit: Disregard this post, I recreated and things that I hadn't seen popped up (like the bottom left UI and the "Getting Started" and "Gathering panel" windows). So I'm just gonna chalk it up to it being beta and some first-time launch wonkiness.)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png