As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Hey people, did you notice Isy's got a new avatar? According to Google it's called King Crab.
    King Crab, Sovereign of the Classy Crabs.
    DCL19cx.gif
    What an appropriate new avatar for Isy!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Guys guys guys, I just heard about Final Fantasy IV coming to Steam!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/13550946/#Comment_13550946
    Forar wrote:
    February 2010
    ... holy shit, Worms on Steam? Fuck yes!

Now we just need Crusader (No Remorse and No Regret), TIE Fighter/X-Wing and a few other gems (Mechwarrior 2!) and my old school gaming needs will be met.

Also Final Fantasy 4 and 6, if they have the time.
    Subedii wrote:
    The heck?
    Forar wrote:
    What? Sometimes I just don't quite feel like playing 'em on the DS.
    Even if Squeenix and Nintendo and whoever else involved were game (they wouldn't be, ever), no one will ever pay $quare prices for a 16-bit RPG that they could just download the ROM for for free.
    Subedii wrote:
    I know, it just gave me a double-take to see NES / SNES games on there.

I mean in theory that shouldn't be a problem, SNES emulators have been around for more than a decade now. But there's no way Nintendo would allow it. If Nintendo ever intended to allow PC users to play SNES games on the PC, they would have made their own store with their own prices. As it is, Nintendo don't have their own official PC / SNES emulator software, and likely have no intention of ever allowing SNES games on the PC platform in that manner. And that's leaving aside the fact that those particular games weren't made by Nintendo.

EDIT: I mean personally I wouldn't mind seeing the Phoenix Wright games available as DD somewhere. But I seriously doubt that's ever going to happen, at least not for the PC.

Four and a half years later, I am vindicated!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    @akajaybay sent me a gift. And a command.
    O7gWmMM.png

And I will. I'll read books of Craft and starlight and necromancy, and I'll (probably) turn into a Deathless King and live forever supported by contract law.

At least, that's what the title of the game implies. Thanks akajaybay!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Ryadic wrote: »
    3767477047.png

This is what internet could look like all over the USA if communities were smart enough to put the funding into local stuff rather than signing exclusive deals with Comcast to fuck their residents over.

EDIT: Do people still use "LPB" or does that date me to the dial-up days?

Yep. I love my ISP. Some more info on how awesome they are:

Initially they had a 25, 50, 100, and 250 Mbps. Then doubled the bottom 2 speeds, changed the 100 customers to 250 and added 1 Gbps speed. About a year ago they dropped the 50 plan. All customers, myself included, got a free speed upgrade. Customers on the 100 Mbps speed upgraded to the 1 Gbps at no cost. 250 Mbps speed was dropped and customers on this got upgraded to the 1 Gbps speeds and cost lowered. 1 Gbps used to be something like $250 a month but now it's like $80.

This is what an internet company should be doing.

Also, never once had an internet problem.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Holy shit id is really off the deep end.

They lost their mojo with Rage, they lost their technical brilliance when Carmack left, and now they've lost their goddamn minds with that new ruleset.

My heart hurts for the new Doom.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Zxerol wrote: »
    To be fair though, I haven't actually played the update, so it could be still plenty fun for all I know. It's just the idea of drastically overhauling a game whose audience is pretty much old Quake diehards, making it the default gametype instead of an alternative mode, and then saying, "Hey, the old mode is still there! Just get someone to pay to put up a server for you to play on!" just strikes me as completely misguided.

Yeah, I'm totally downloading it right now. I am going to try it. The part that stings initially is putting the classic mode behind a paywall. I don't think either mode should be limited, personally. Valve has shown that the most appreciated way to do a F2P game is with cosmetics and the like. Taking the gameplay that the game's fanbase is built on and limiting access to that gameplay with subscription shenanigans has a bit of an icky feel to it.

Drake on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I think too many bits of the Tick cartoon have remained stuck in my head perhaps.
    http://youtu.be/kZhJlGV2s_k

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Got all my friends together for games on Saturday and had a great time. We'd played a bunch of the stuff before, like Nidhogg and Speedrunners.

But the gem, the one that everyone really, really liked, was Lethal League.

@HeirTransparent thanks again for that game from like 2 weeks ago! Huge hit!

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    There's been some pretty aggressive gifting of Shadowrun the past few times it's been on sale. Might not be a whole lot of newbies.

I checked last night and 280 friends had it and 0 had it wishlisted. ;)

I feel like it's plausible that HyphyKezzy is responsible for like an entire third of that.
    I don't have hard numbers and they didn't all go to folks here but rough estimate I am probably close to if not at about 50 copies given out between the base game and Dragonfall by now. So maybe like a sixth?

Also I am empty wallet man right now so this sale is horrible timing but I will point out that although I have no idea how it's possible I've still got two friends with it wishlisted. Stragint aka DoublePitstoChesty on Steam and Jaunty who I believe is SE++ peeps. If y'all wanted to handle that. No @ ings for the element of surprise.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Still catching up to page 89, wish there was a way to see if your codes had been redeemed or not, I know I gave away hacker evolution....but I cannot remember the others.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Four and a half years later, I am vindicated!

You were clamoring for an SNES game to be released on Steam, which never happened. A remake was, so I guess you are sort of vindicated?

Man though, that thread was a shitshow. How angry and naive I was. Here's a lovely piece of history though:
    So I moved Steam (all 27GB of it) to my external drive.

My new idea is to install every single game I own.

Ok so that fucking hard drive right there...

that
    fucking
    drive
    I
    swear

I guess I have a history of using out of context Star Wars quotes in posts.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Man though, that thread was a shitshow. How angry and naive I was. Here's a lovely piece of history though:

I would like to think hanging out with you classy folk has made me mature. I think I still have my moments, but I try hard to be as classy as some of you folks.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    @MudGuts hit me up with a friend invite, then Ethan Meteor Hunter! Thanks, dude! I was tempted by the Vita version a few weeks back when it was on sale, gave it a pass. Now I get to see what I missed out on!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh man you guys, going through a Steam thread from four years ago is an absolute goldmine.
    mcdermott wrote:
    Now my 57 makes me feel totally inadequate.

Yet I can't bring myself to buy more, considering there are at least ten I own now that I have never even started up.
    Hah! I have 71 games!

Your inadequacy fuels my ego!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Snap! Crackle! Pop!

5XyALXT.jpg

@akajaybay‌ has a poor memory, as he has already showered me with gifts this year (Valiant Hearts and Abyss Odyssey to be precise.) But what he lacks in remembrance he more than makes up for in class. I loved the first CQ, and look forward to playing this one quite a but. Thanks again!! <3

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Congrats SmokeStacks for being the first recipient of the new reactions regime in le Steam thread. Ya earned it dogg.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    flyn.jpg
    questrun.jpg

Ohgoshdarnit.

I'm going back to work. All day there, no giftassaults. I get home... boom!

:P

Thanks @Mudzgut‌ ! I was just looking at Quest Run and talking to a friend about how cute it looks...

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Snap Crackle Pop?

I won't know which one to click. How will I decide? Why can we only have one reaction?

AUGH!

/runaway

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I was about to Hail Hydra some shit, I refresh the page and everything I thought I knew comes crashing down all around me.

Can't leave this place alone for ten minutes, I swear.

Also, Cap'n Crunch is superior.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Snap Crackle Pop?

I won't know which one to click. How will I decide? Why can we only have one reaction?

AUGH!

/runaway

I think "Pop" should be the new "Bro?" for expressing sympathy or other "Duuuude" sentiments.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    I was about to Hail Hydra some shit, I refresh the page and everything I thought I knew comes crashing down all around me.

Can't leave this place alone for ten minutes, I swear.

I will henceforth be using "Snap" when "Awwwww Snap!" would be appropriate.

I cannot imagine a use for crackle.

As to the last...

235px-Magnitude.png

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I wish I could Pop someone twice.

klwlnPul.jpg

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Drake wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    To be fair though, I haven't actually played the update, so it could be still plenty fun for all I know. It's just the idea of drastically overhauling a game whose audience is pretty much old Quake diehards, making it the default gametype instead of an alternative mode, and then saying, "Hey, the old mode is still there! Just get someone to pay to put up a server for you to play on!" just strikes me as completely misguided.

Yeah, I'm totally downloading it right now. I am going to try it. The part that stings initially is putting the classic mode behind a paywall. I don't think either mode should be limited, personally. Valve has shown that the most appreciated way to do a F2P game is with cosmetics and the like. Taking the gameplay that the game's fanbase is built on and limiting access to that gameplay with subscription shenanigans has a bit of an icky feel to it.

There is no paywall. You can play Classic on dedicated servers with that ruleset without paying.

You need to pay to host servers, any kind of servers, Classic or otherwise.

I have been following this since the changelist leaked. And honestly, my first reaction was disgust, but now that I have given some thought to it I don't think they are completely misguided

I honestly think this was necessary to a certain extent. Quake Live (and pretty much every recent attempt to resurrect old school shooters that comes to memory) had problems keeping a playerbase, mostly because how difficult it is to get and especially keep new blood

FFA has changed a lot thanks to this, you are decently powerful on spawn while before you would get your ass kicked over and over if you did not know the weapon placements. Now you spawn with two weapons, but you still acquire others and power-ups normally.

Auto bunny hop doesn't really replace strafe-jumping.

Having a timer on the powerup spawn locations is pretty neat IMO.

The only thing that bothers still bothers me is universal ammo boxes, I would rather have players spawn with slightly more ammo but keep the ammo for the individual weapons around

TF2 has proven to me it is possible to have a community thrive even if its kind of divided between more "casual" and serious servers. Released in its previous form QL would have probably had the same problems it had before, this gives it another chance. If the changes don't manage to bring in new players anyway, reverting them should always be an option. On the other hand, if it does succeed it would be great.

Pereza0 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Buttons based on Early Morning Diabetes (Cereal) are infinitely inferior to hydra'ing.

Or even bro'ing.

Between losing hydra and losing :rotate: I am a sad panda. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2014
    For more serious business, I think this is the roster of folks who received Borderlands: Pre-Sequel from God-Emperor Isy:

@Sumanai‌
    @minor incident
    @Spoit‌
    @Isorn‌
    @CorriganX‌
    @Pixelated Pixie
    @Berylline‌
    (and @iolo!!!)
    EDIT: and @DaringDirk!

Did I miss anyone? Get anyone wrong?

I am unexpectedly awash in credit hours this month, and have decided to take 10/15 off to play BL:P-S. Any other @Big Classy devotees, including the man himself, of course, want to do a big hunk of Isy Enthusiast Coop that day?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    @iolo By this month, do you mean next month? Game's not out yet.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So, Spacecom, or SPACECOM or SPACEC(PLANET ICON)N, really the devs are a little vague on this front. I suspect it's one of the first two.

Spacecom is a slow paced RTS with a minimalist Space empire theme and art style. The game is functionally about grand military strategies more than the average RTS's micro. You'll scout out your opponent, make grand fleet movements. Cut supply lines and obliterate key systems all in the goal of slowly throttling your opponent out of the map and eventually taking his home system. The whole thing's played on a simple 2d map that looks gorgeous and does a fantastic job of presenting the relevant information:

E8140EF8EFDD96E0B849B6D5F4FD72BA1927F628

This fact is aided by the fact that, at it's basest level, Spacecom is not a complex game with alot of moving parts. There are three types of fleets (Combat for fighting, Invasions for conquering and Siege fleets for going all death star on people), five types of system's (plain, which just give additional pop cap, home systems which are like the king in chess, mining worlds which generate trade ships for production worlds which produce fleets and repair worlds that'll patch up damaged fleets). You can't even develop system's past adding additional defenses in the form of ground forces, kinetic shields and space stations.

That paragraph may have sounded packed full of silly jargon and generic sci-fi ideas but it's also the game, as in every single game element there is. To say it's a sparse design is understating the idea to say the least. So it's neat that as I play I'm still coming up with cool things to do. I can send out early siege ships to try to bomb out possible key locations for my enemies, creating a barren no-man's land. I can roam as a death blob of my starting fleets to try and bully my opponent and force a response from him. I can build more invasion fleets at the start over straight up fighters. Allowing me to boom my economy with rapid expansion but be easier to harass with fighters. For just being a game full of different types of triangles filling bars at eachother for the fate of circles it gets the theme of vast, long distance conflicts down perfectly. From how sending a fleet towards a planet commits them to that action to the pleasing sight of trade routes powering your war machine everything feels vast, slow and methodical.

The main issue I have with the game is mostly in the amount of content. It's £10 currently and for that you get a campaign of 14 missions (the first 6 of which so far have being to a degree tutorials) and a set of 8 maps to play in either skirmish or multiplayer. Multiplayer is currently dead on arrival like alot of indy games so finding play partners might be problematic and skirmish so far doesn't really challenge for the two games I played (on easy and medium respectively, though it goes up much higher).

In general Spacecom is worth a look if you're a fan of games like Sins of a Solar Empire and want something a bit more focused on the raw strategic movements over economy and research. It's barebones but has enough meat there to sink your teeth into.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    For more serious business, I think this is the roster of folks who received Borderlands: Pre-Sequel from God-Emperor Isy:

@Sumanai‌
    @minor incident
    @Spoit‌
    @Isorn‌
    @CorriganX‌
    @Pixelated Pixie
    @Berylline‌
    (and @iolo!!!)

Did I miss anyone? Get anyone wrong?

I am unexpectedly awash in credit hours this month, and have decided to take 10/15 off to play BL:P-S. Any other @Big Classy devotees, including the man himself, of course, want to do a big hunk of Isy Enthusiast Coop that day?

I believe I was the first recipient in this latest round, actually. Regardless of chronology, I belong on that list.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I have no idea what emotions to associate with crackle and pop. I am lost within a sea of unclear reactions.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I have no idea what emotions to associate with crackle and pop. I am lost within a sea of unclear reactions.

I like to think Snap is like beat poetry snaps, a stronger form of Agree.

steam_sig.png

• Options

snapcracklepop.jpg

That's just the sound of your endocrine system giving up the ghost after having cereal honey!

• Options
    Holy shit why is the Dragonfall Directors Cut almost 7gb?

The base game with Dragonfall is only 4.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've been playing some Dungeons of Dredmor and just beat it for the first time.

And then I went on my profile and saw this:
    8BxbJ01.png
    hlhNfW1.png

• Options
    Oh man, 2010 Steam Threads are something.
    SteevL wrote:
    That reminds me, I wonder if we'll see a Black Mesa release by the end of 2011.

Suds wrote:
    This is all part of Valve's master plan to erase the PC gamer. Along with it, they erase the Mac gamer. Both are replaced with the Steam gamer.
    Valve to make first operating system intended solely for gaming! SteamOS coming Fall 2013! (2019 Valve time)

And lastly, my favorite:
    Im still waiting for HL2EP3.

So far away, and yet so very, very close.

• Options
    We'll always have @Slash000 and his Gamestop preorder ticket for Duke Nukem Forever

steam_sig.png

• Options
    We'll always have @Slash000 and his Gamestop preorder ticket for Duke Nukem Forever

Didn't he end up getting some rad shit from Gearbox for that?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    By my calculations, @Forar got the thread's last Hail Hydra!, from @SoundsPlush. A piece of history.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    T-Minus: 00:00:00

Geth roll 2d10

2d10 17 [2d10=10, 7]

• Options
    Somewhere in the secret mod forum they are all laughing as they study our reactions to the new post responses.
    Rats in a maze, men in a cage.

They are the GlaDOS and we are the Chell.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Is there a list anywhere of what Geth can do?

This discussion has been closed.