As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Planetary Annihilation] Beta has landed. Via asteroid impact.

123457»

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    My most successful Galactic War campaign is stuck. Me and two sub commanders versus an enemy faction leader and his three subcommanders. Unfortunately, about 10 minutes into the game it just starts to chug. Even overclocking and setting everything on minimum doesn't work enough to make the massive amount of troops and movement stop freezing. As there's no option to go back and not fight, I'm stuck at the graphical limitations of the game.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So I guess this came out. I've heard it's still more or less unfinished, balance is kind of out of whack, lots of people have performance issues, and so on. Any thoughts?

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    So I guess this came out. I've heard it's still more or less unfinished, balance is kind of out of whack, lots of people have performance issues, and so on. Any thoughts?

Balance is actually pretty good right now. It used to be very whacky, but compared to last I played it it actually feels finished now. I think "release" is an appropriate status for this game.

I played a match with @AvalonGuard‌ the other day, and it was extremely amusing. "Celestial Movement Detected..."

Can't comment on any performance issues, haven't experienced any myself. Would love to play more of this with other PAers!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Dunno, haven't really fired it up much since I breezed through a Galactic War through the power of friendship (friendship being 6 sub commanders).

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Dunno, haven't really fired it up much since I breezed through a Galactic War through the power of friendship (friendship being 6 sub commanders).

I assume having 6 of them counteracts how slow they are to move off a planet?

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

Dunno, a typical match was ending in 5-10 minutes with no effort on my part. Homeworld fights were more involved, but the subcomms divided equally between planets there, so it still worked out fine.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Oh, to specify my comments: galactic war still needs work, but skirmish and multiplayer are pretty awesome.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Its completely unfinished and getting pretty awful reviews, the consensus being it's even dumber than SupCom 2. You literally just build units then throw them at your enemy, no tactics to speak of. This can definitely change but they have a ton of work to do.

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

Dunno, a typical match was ending in 5-10 minutes with no effort on my part. Homeworld fights were more involved, but the subcomms divided equally between planets there, so it still worked out fine.

Yeah sounds like just having 6 meant you got them spread to every planet, I have messed around with 1 or 2 and they are really nice on a planet but are just dumb about when to go Orbital and how to go Planet Hopping, like one once transported its Commander straight into an Enemy base on another Planet. They also seem to only go Orbital once they reach a certain point of ground saturation, which the AI does as well but can really fuck both in low Econ planet types. maybe this changes if you set the difficulty high enough.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Hey guys. I know we haven't been able to play Planetary Annihilation all that much, we need to.
    But look what UBER is making next!

Couple key notes.
    This is a Kickstarter trailer pitch.
    This will be a whole 'nother team. PA will continue with the team it has for continued balance and addition.
    Possibility for more Apocalypse factions? Maybe. No zeds though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZ7oto4z4A

design commentary
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06I-Lc5ptKc

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Yeah, I'm in love with that pitch. They had me at "Oops." :D

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    yea I've been loving PA, so this was an instant back for me.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I hate PA, but mostly because the concept is disorienting. I think the orbital layers and planetary camera are terribly done.

Also I don't like how the time to kill of units is crazy low. Battles are over too quickly. I'll keep an eye on HR but will not back it.

Also you cant save games yet. lulz.

bummer about Human Resources... it has legs, but not enough for kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game/posts

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It's a shame, because the game as pitched seems really awesome, but I'm not incredibly surprised, either. I know when I was looking into Human Resources, I checked up on how PA was doing, and it seemed like there's a fairly large amount of people upset with the current state of things there. It's what kept me from backing, and I imagine there were others who felt the same.

BloodySloth on
    Yeah, that's probably a factor that has contributed. I hope the game will still see the light of day some other way - the concept just sounded too hilarious :)

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    It's a shame, because the game as pitched seems really awesome, but I'm not incredibly surprised, either. I know when I was looking into Human Resources, I checked up on how PA was doing, and it seemed like there's a fairly large amount of people upset with the current state of things there. It's what kept me from backing, and I imagine there were others who felt the same.

This would be exactly why I didn't back HR. Maybe a miracle happened while I've been out at work but before I left, PA still didn't have the offline mode that was promised as being a thing the game would have at release and I'm guessing it still doesn't.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It does, since the 9th.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    It does, since the 9th.

Bout god damn time.

wWuzwvJ.png
    What began as a cherished holiday turned into a conflict that has decimated
    a million children's hopes and dreams. Now both sides, the Red Elves and
    the Green Elves fight an endless war that can only be settled by the other's
    complete and total annihilation.

Ok guys. I've been stuck on this stupid boat for a week, and I still have a few
    days left to go. I'd like to get a game of Total Annihilation or Planetary
    Annihilation going between Penny Arcaders.

I will be back home at some point on Dec 23rd. Yes, this means that it will
    be sometime near Christmas when a lot of people have plans, but I'd hope to
    get something going regardless.

The Total Annihilation Commander's Pack (which is the base game, and both its expansions)
    is on GoG.com for like $5.00 american, tops. I'd think we'd need to set up
    a VPN server in order to connect to any games made over the net.

As for Planetary Annihilation, its a bit more expensive at around $30 (might be cheaper
    during the Holiday Sales) but internet games are easier to make and we get to
    smash planets at each other. Also, I just like the idea of a 4v4 game where someone is
    in charge of the air, someone the land forces, someone working on eco, and then the 4th
    guy is working on the moon. Or everyone is in charge of their own planet.

If not on the 23rd, maybe at some point on the 26th or 27th, (Friday or Saturday)
    If you can commit to it, make a post and we can see what we can do. I'd even settle
    for 2v2 or 4 man everyone for themselves.

If you are looking for some tips and strategies for Planetary Annihilation, I'd recommend
    Zaphodx, the last 40 or so of his games on youtube, or MasterofRoflness, also on youtube.
    zaphod is more of a commentator like you'd hear on ESPN, Master of Roflness is more like a let's player.

here's hoping for a game or two.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    I'm down for this, Ben! Would love to play this game again in Multiplayer. Let's get a nice, huge map and throw planets at each other!

And hey, just as Ben bumped this thread, they release an update! Apparently the unit cannon is finally available!

If anyone's still eying this and hasn't picked it up yet, Steam has a weekend deal right now and it's for sale for only 5,60! Maybe we can finally have that all out brawl :)