As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Thread About Sexist Tropes

1161718192022»

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Paladin wrote: »
    Something like this:

planet-194203spring.jpg

...used to be incredibly commonplace.

We have improved somewhat (it's debatable how much, exactly) but at least we don't see helpless and ridiculously-clad damsels being rescued from the bug-eyed monsters on the covers of a shit-ton of media anymore.

I would like to hear from people who think criticism of such things are misplaced. Is it bad that this is less common now? How do you think this happened?

review_Ripley_aliens_2.jpg

We also used to be willing to explore the meaning behind our attitudes toward sexuality, but we seem to be on a robot kick now

Robots want love too.

Harry Dresden on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Something like this:

planet-194203spring.jpg

...used to be incredibly commonplace.

We have improved somewhat (it's debatable how much, exactly) but at least we don't see helpless and ridiculously-clad damsels being rescued from the bug-eyed monsters on the covers of a shit-ton of media anymore.

I would like to hear from people who think criticism of such things are misplaced. Is it bad that this is less common now? How do you think this happened?

review_Ripley_aliens_2.jpg

We also used to be willing to explore the meaning behind our attitudes toward sexuality, but we seem to be on a robot kick now

Ripley was not a fucking damsel

The damsel isn't the important part. The representation of sexual imagery up to and including rape is.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Robots want love too.

omg Geth

Seriously though if you watch the Alien movies and come out thinking it's something anybody here would use as an example as exploitative towards gender, you're not paying attention.

joshofalltrades on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Alinius133 wrote: »
    Feeding someone food that is potentially poisonous -> Ok. Not giving it to them, robs them of agency -> Not Ok.

I feel like I am being told that I am morally required to knowingly feed someone lethal poison, because not doing it might hurt their feelings.

In case anyone is curious, this is the post that finally pushed me from "this thread is terrible but harmless" to "this thread must be brutally slaughtered and its head mounted on a pike to serve as a warning to other threads."

So congratulations, Alinius, you win the coveted what the fuck I don't even award!

Geth, close the thread.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ElJeffe. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.