As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD HAS BEEN KRISPIED!

1939495969799»

• Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I just got wrecked in arena at 5 wins by the weirdest shaman deck.

me turn 1: pass
    him turn 1: dust devil, coin, dust devil

I ended up taking 18 from the dust devils before I could clear them, then he played some other junk including a wisp and a windspeaker, then he doomhammered and just swung at my face til I died. I don't think he hero powered once.

It was kind of a brilliant deck. Most people in arena expect shaman to play a bit on the slow side so they mulligan for value, and then he comes out swinging at them with this ridiculous windfury face deck.

I've used doomhammer before in arena and actually got every charge out of it, but I don't think it's that great unless you end up incredibly lucky and draft+draw into rockbiter weap.
    That said, almost every time I play a weapon it gets ooze'd immediately, so bad in fact that unless I'm on weap 2 or 3 I'll just burn charges because it's almost a given response from the opponent.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Fryhole wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I just got wrecked in arena at 5 wins by the weirdest shaman deck.

me turn 1: pass
    him turn 1: dust devil, coin, dust devil

I ended up taking 18 from the dust devils before I could clear them, then he played some other junk including a wisp and a windspeaker, then he doomhammered and just swung at my face til I died. I don't think he hero powered once.

It was kind of a brilliant deck. Most people in arena expect shaman to play a bit on the slow side so they mulligan for value, and then he comes out swinging at them with this ridiculous windfury face deck.

I've used doomhammer before in arena and actually got every charge out of it, but I don't think it's that great unless you end up incredibly lucky and draft+draw into rockbiter weap.
    That said, almost every time I play a weapon it gets ooze'd immediately, so bad in fact that unless I'm on weap 2 or 3 I'll just burn charges because it's almost a given response from the opponent.

Doomhammer's unlike most other weapons, in that you probably don't want to hit minions with it, since you'd expect probably to take at least 20 damage from doing so (like, if you just hit 2/2s all day). Then if you're going to the face, it's 20 damage for 7 mana, but it comes over 5 turns, is stoppable by taunts, but can also be discretized into chunks against minions.

I'm definitely not as enamoured with it as when the game first came out, but....

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Looking at the shaman decks that have been popular lately, they are largely similar (I wrote it all down, in the eu Blizzcon stuff all shaman decks shared 25 cards)

The variables includes doomhammer and to me it's not worth it precisely because of the damage you're asking to take. For a class that can't easily heal it just doesn't seem worth it. Never mind how hard Harrison kills it... If rockbiter remained (not that it should that'd be too much) or something, maybe, but personally I'm not a fan.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    I play Doomhammer with some Spiteful Smiths, but I also don't have some of the top-tier Shaman cards, like Al-Akir. The rule is never clear minions with it unless absolutely necessary.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man. Firgured I would give the game another shot. Jumped in and cleared some dailies, drafted a good warrior deck and proceeded to jump into the scrum. So.... is everyone playing mage now? Because the deck was weak to frost mage and I ran into 4 in a row for a nice 1-3. Deck would have been awesome against most other builds.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    mage is and has always been the most common class in arena

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, some plays on Casual mode, starting with me on Warrior for the quest:

Against Miracle Rogue:

"Ok, got him at 1, just need to topdeck a weapon or something *plays minion*".
    *Bounces minion*.
    *Plays minion*.
    *Kills minion*.
    "More minions and I'm out of cards".
    *Hmmmm*.

*Leeroy + Hero Power + Deadly Brew*.
    "Oh shi-".
    "Bounces Leeroy, last attack on Leee- time out".
    ":O".
    *Concedes*.

The previous win was against a Druid that got AFK after putting a 5/10 with Taunt. Think that I'm bad at Warrior, but got that stuff done.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    do most people just do their random daily quests in casual rather than playing ranked? I usually try and cycle the quests and just play shaman/warlock/priest in ranked, but I seem to be a lot better at shaman than the other two so it gets a little frustrating

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I never play casual.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I always play ranked for quests, unless I'm really salty about my rank or something but lately I don't care much about what my rank # is

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    All i want are the card backs. I dont play ranked too much. Its reminds me too much of my Starcraft days, which ended when I actually moved to South Korea.

Ironically, it took watching a game of China vs Korea Hearthstone to get me to start playing it since Starcraft seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth on the gaming network.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    do most people just do their random daily quests in casual rather than playing ranked? I usually try and cycle the quests and just play shaman/warlock/priest in ranked, but I seem to be a lot better at shaman than the other two so it gets a little frustrating

Depends how far I am and if I'm tryharding. I got Legend last season so this season I've been messing around. Doing all dailies in Ranked or Arena cuz there's no reason not to.

EDIT- Beating Hunter with Handlock is SOOOOOOOO satisfying.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yea, I do my dailies in ranked unless I am pushing legend. I try and do most of them in arena though.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Looking at the shaman decks that have been popular lately, they are largely similar (I wrote it all down, in the eu Blizzcon stuff all shaman decks shared 25 cards)

The variables includes doomhammer and to me it's not worth it precisely because of the damage you're asking to take. For a class that can't easily heal it just doesn't seem worth it. Never mind how hard Harrison kills it... If rockbiter remained (not that it should that'd be too much) or something, maybe, but personally I'm not a fan.
    Most of the time I'm hitting the other guy in the face with Doomhammer, the 4 damage every turn adds up. Not including it is certainly a valid choice, but it's a much more flexible finisher than Al'Akir.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    All i want are the card backs. I dont play ranked too much. Its reminds me too much of my Starcraft days, which ended when I actually moved to South Korea.

Ironically, it took watching a game of China vs Korea Hearthstone to get me to start playing it since Starcraft seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth on the gaming network.

Yeah, want to play around some more before going through the ranks. Reminds me of my (short) LoL days.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I also do most of my dailies in arena and almost never play casual.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    [snip]

dududududududu

what song is that

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    sandstorm

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't know how someone who is into online video games can not recognize sandstorm.

• Options
    I'm like 98% sure he was doing a thing. He probably should have put a spoilered Kappa, but really, that question is so overdone in regards to that song, that it's almost as weird not recognizing it.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i do my dailies in arena if i have the appropriate class up.
    if my arena's currently the wrong class, i'll do it in ranked if it's one of my ranked decks.
    if neither of those, casual (usually shaman or paladin).

• Options
    [snip]

dududududududu

what song is that

I dont get it, because I have ass for legendaries.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    [snip]

dududududududu

what song is that

I dont get it, because I have ass for legendaries.

It's a Twitch/YouTube thing. Doesn't really have anything to do with Hearthstone or Nozdormu... except I guess that Nozdormu makes a sandstorm appear.

Also, why does Hex's frog have summoning sickness? Denies the BM-iest of plays.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    voidcaller into jaraxxus in arena.

• Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I never play casual, scrub.

FTFY

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I mostly play casual, when I'm testing out weird-ass decks.

I play ranked when I want to try-hard, like @Cantido‌ said, because of the ladder messing with you
    it's not TOO often (haven't really done much ranked this season after getting to 13)

I rarely play Arena, even though I think I have a really solid win count record on it (current priest deck that's been out there for almost two months is at 6-0). Total arena games since I started playing are prob. less than a dozen.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    I dont know why I'm not enjoying Arena, because I enjoyed MtG Sealed far more than Constructed.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Some days you get Auctioneer right away. Some days you can't dig far enough for the Auctioneer.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    That "You're better than you think" blizzard article (linked in the launcher) backfired I think.
    There are a ton of comments that rip it apart - both statistically and emotionally.
    Wonder what the outcome will be, maybe additional rank slots beyond 25?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I imagine it'd have more merit if 20-10 weren't overwhelmingly populated by bots and stupid little small-creatures decks.

Don't worry, your bot is better than you think!

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Just played an Arena Priest who had a 3/10 Violet Teacher and Thoughtstole one of my two Flamestrikes and my only Polymorph (later used on my 7/7 Frostwolf Warlord) when I had 20 cards left. I still won, because lolFlamestrike, but damn.

He also Holy Nova'd my 6/2 Shade of Naxxramas and a 3/2 while I had Duplicate up. Next turn I dropped both new Shades. He topdecked Holy Nova.

• Options
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    That "You're better than you think" blizzard article (linked in the launcher) backfired I think.
    There are a ton of comments that rip it apart - both statistically and emotionally.
    Wonder what the outcome will be, maybe additional rank slots beyond 25?

Well, it is the Blizzard forums, so a ratio of at least 90% whine is to be expected.

But yeah, the statistics don't really tell anything, because we don't know if they are taken at the end of a season and also if they include inactive players. There's probably a ton of accounts that haven't touched HS last season and some of them might even have reached legend a couple of months ago, who knows.

Additionally the rank is useless unless you're going for legend. In some seasons I definitely finish in those 75% of players below rank 15, because there's no incentive for me to play ranked. Currently I'm rank 8, but that's only because this season I found Control Warrior fun and so I'm shooting up the ranks. Last season I found Pirate Rogue fun and hovered around 12 or so. It's just the decks I play between Arena runs.
    Or my NA account basically never goes past 15, I don't even have real constructed decks there.

I would be interested to know how many of those 75% have played more than let's say 20 games that season and also how many are between 15 and 20. That's a better distinction imo.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Also: I'm seeing only 9 comments, what I would call "a ton". And the gem is this one:
    Blizz is making profit out of this and not even caring about players that play a class that isnt so OP LIKE HUNTER, PRIEST or WARLOCK and the players that play those classes dont give a !@#$ either and they are destroying there own game by this hahaaa :). But no worries in my country there is allready a protest organisation beeing made because aparantly some kids got so frustrated that they are developping stress syndromes, depressions etc...!!! Parents are shocked by what is happening and are really getting angry about this!!! You couls say well why dont the parents make them stop playing!!!! But isnt this game also designed for kids to play???or am i mistaken? Isnt this this game suppose to be FUN?? instead of beeing stressfull??? Well anyway if blizz doesnt start changing things those parents are going to court and it will cost them enormous lot of money, the money that they are now earning will be a FOR NOTHING!! So yeah Blizzard good work!!! nice setting up a game were people actually cant express there emotions to one and other!! So to all of you dont get to attached to this game because those parents will win and then its bye bye hearthstone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit I was expecting a "plz no copy pasterino" at the end there.

Grobian on
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    One of the strangest notions of the Blizzard forums is that you need to choose a class in Hearthstone and stick with it.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    That sounds like a "hey that's a great idea!" during pizza party night right in the middle of the second mario party, that someone coded in (or was told to code in) and then quickly forgotten.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    One of the strangest notions is the Blizzard forums.

I fixed this for you.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.