As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

South 2015 Q&A

• Options
    chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    miker525 wrote: »
    Do you know if the bus pickup is close to the Austin airport? If it's really that much cheaper I may totally consider doing this too. I'm just always worried about the plane being delayed and thus missing my bus.

Lone Star Cab estimates less than $35 with tip from airport to greyhound station (although we want to make a detour to In N Out as neither of us have ever been and its just 5ish minutes out of the way). I'm also scared of a delay, buuut I'll cross my fingers. The San Antonio station is a half mile from the Alamo and most of the hotels are around there, so walking distance. Since there's 2 of us, we're saving more, but if I were traveling alone I would probably just go right to San Antonio.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Hey locals, how easy is it to grab cheap Spurs tickets from scalpers or even day-of from the box office? They play the Lakers on Friday night and I'd like to just get in the building for as cheap as possible. I'll worry about finding a seat once I'm in there.

StubHub is ridiculous, showing upwards of 2 thousand dollars for decent lower bowl tickets. I know they're the champs but come on...

• Options
    WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Hey locals, how easy is it to grab cheap Spurs tickets from scalpers or even day-of from the box office?

A game against the hated Lakers, on a Friday night, is a pretty hot ticket. Here's what I do: Buy the cheapest nosebleed ticket you can possibly find; that gets you through the door. Once you're there, if you get there a little early you can claim a great spot in the Fan Zone, a large balcony with food and drink and an excellent view of the court. OR if the weather's good you can hang out outside, where they project the game onto a large screen and bring in food trucks.

• Options
    ivanocheersivanocheers Registered User regular
    Hi everybody. We have been trying to reach via email (following the FAQ) the organization of PAX because we want to buy a booth space at the Pax South in San Antonio. Unfortunately we didn't get any reply and we really need to organize our schedule. How can we get in contact with someone for our needs?

Thanks in advance.

- Lead programmer at Soloweb N.V. Studios - Curacao Netherlands Antilles
    - Currently working full time at aerosquest.com: support it on Steam GreenLight!
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You e-mailed paxsales@paxsite.com, right?

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    yes, 3 times at least and yet no reaction at all. We'd like to organize everything asap because we don't live in the US and fixing all our gigs upfront is kind of mandatory for us. Hopefully someone will react soon.

- Currently working full time at aerosquest.com: support it on Steam GreenLight!
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    it does look like on the pax south website, there are two separate registration links. One has the wrong subject listed.
    I believe the correct thing is: paxsales@paxsite.com, subject=PAX South 2015 Exhibition Inquiry

If you take a look at the ReedPOP website, there's also listings of which people cover which events.
    http://www.reedpop.com/Who-We-Are/#kyle-marsden-kish

zerzhul on
  • Options
    i will try right away! Thanks a lot zerzhul

• Options
    I mailed again paxsales@paxsite.com with subject=PAX South 2015 Exhibition Inquiry, mailed Mr.Kyle directly to his reedpop email and yet no reaction at all. This is very strange because whether or not the spots are sold out or for any reason they don't want them to give em away I would expect at least an answer.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Maybe try Ryan Hartman?

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Maybe try Ryan Hartman?
    I did as well, no reaction

• Options
    tbh it doesn't surprise me that much that you haven't heard back yet. For any of the pax emails, I usually give it a week.

• Options
    I indeed understand they're busy, especially lately that the latest PAX was live, yet my first email was sent (to the right address) more than 2 months ago, nevertheless I tried to contact them also via other ways (social networks). I will wait, seems there's nothing else to do. Thanks to everybody so far for your help.

• Options
    andrewrjohnandrewrjohn Registered User new member
    My best friend has a severe latex allergy. Would pax south be safe for her?

• Options
    andrewejohn I'm posting here because we work in this industry and it is important to me getting any answer (which I didn't get from PAX yet), may you spam somewhere else please?

• Options

Perhaps you can expand a little on how her allergy affects her out in the world. I can't think of any situation at pax where she would have to touch latex things.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2014
    andrewejohn I'm posting here because we work in this industry and it is important to me getting any answer (which I didn't get from PAX yet), may you spam somewhere else please?

It isn't up to you who posts in this thread.

Tube on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

It isn't up to you who posts in this thread.

I wrote that because I was honestly thinking was a spam post. If I am wrong please accept my apologies.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Perhaps you can expand a little on how her allergy affects her out in the world. I can't think of any situation at pax where she would have to touch latex things.

The fact that you can not think of any reason someone would be exposed to Latex at PAX proves once again you are a LADY :)

• Options
    Dolarrah wrote: »

The fact that you can not think of any reason someone would be exposed to Latex at PAX proves once again you are a LADY :)

No seriously... I don't know what they would do differently at PAX then they would out in the world.

I realize it's been a long time since I've been expo hall.. but I'm pretty sure they don't make people wear latex gloves to play games.

And if we're talking about condoms, then that's a personal matter that they likely know how to avoid.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »

No seriously... I don't know what they would do differently at PAX then they would out in the world.

I realize it's been a long time since I've been expo hall.. but I'm pretty sure they don't make people wear latex gloves to play games.

And if we're talking about condoms, then that's a personal matter that they likely know how to avoid.

I guess maybe balloons?
    Like if there are often lots of balloons you need to interact with as part of pax. Which no there aren't.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I was being a smart a$$ and complimenting you at same time. There are no precautions you would not take going to any other event: Balloons and a lot of cheap party favors are the biggest concern. You would be surprised how many cheap plastic items have some content of latex in them. My advice, pretend you are going to a six year olds birthday party and they should be fine.

• Options
    andrewrjohnandrewrjohn Registered User new member
    Coming from a brand-new account and with so little context, thinking my question was spam was not unreasonable. Sorry, let me explain.

I've been reading PA for over a decade, but have never been to PAX. I live in Texas, so when PAX South was announced I immediately bought tickets. I want to bring my friend, who likes videogames but has a severe latex allergy. I don't feel like I have the convention experience necessary to know whether PAX would be physically dangerous for her.

For her, exposure to even small amount of latex can trigger anaphylaxis. Essentially, exposure is the same for her as for someone with a severe peanut allergy or someone who is allergic to bee stings. Additionally, each time she is exposed to latex, her allergy gets a little bit more severe. So she carries an epi pen in case of exposure, but goes out of her way to make sure that she just never comes into contact with latex.

The problem, in her words, is that latex rubber is in "balloons, condoms, mattresses, tires, pencil erasers, pen grips, gloves, latex clothing and tons of things that are incredibly fun to touch, but can ultimately cause me uncomfortable symptoms such as death."

Rubber latex is especially problematic in a situation like a convention because a) lots of costumes use rubber latex components, and b) rubber latex leaves latex powder on contact, which means that if my friend touches something that has touched latex recently, it can trigger a reaction. She went to a 90s themed halloween party once and someone wearing a latex mask of Bill Clinton hugged her. She didn't have her epi pen on her, so she had to be driven to the hospital. Balloon-drops have also been problematic.

tl;dr - I want to know if I can comfortably guarantee my friend that if she's as cautious as she is in her day-to-day life, PAX is not an especially dangerous place for her.

• Options
    I am very against being fear mongering by accident, but I have been to a ton of paxes and I have zero clue. I'm not sure it's something someone would keep an eye out for unless it affects them in that fashion. Generally I do not touch or get touched by things or people that I don't want to touch or be touched by at PAX. If it's just an.. in the air, type of thing, man, that's really hard to tell.

• Options
    Coming from a brand-new account and with so little context, thinking my question was spam was not unreasonable.

It was a perfectly valid question, and what this thread is for. I'm just sorry that we can't be more help.

• Options
    CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    Could she perhaps bring something like wet-ones wipes and wipe off controllers before she uses them? Just in case the last user had latex gloves on?

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    As a lot of people wear costumes to PAX, and if her allergy so severe that brief contact triggers such a reaction, I would be concerned about accidental contact with people on the often very packed expo floor. In addition to that, if you are saying that such latex application leaves a residue also strong enough to trigger a reaction, there would be no way to guarantee that a person in a costume hasn't touched/sat on/brushed against anything in the convention center.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Against my budget's better judgment, I am attending PAX South. Does anyone else have experience with different airlines to/from San Antonio from the Minneapolis area? As it stands, I'm stuck with either $400+ flights directly to San Antonio, or $300 (no red-eye) flights to Austin during this time frame. Historical pricing sites haven't been too much help for me. While I would like to save some money if possible, flying into Austin would then mean renting a car and driving 1.5 hours. From what I could gather looking up Greyhound trips, it would take around an hour and 20 minutes to get to the Greyhound station from the airport. Would it be worth it to take my time and chill in Austin for a few hours and spend that $100 on coping margaritas, or should I get to San Antonio ASAP because of reasons I don't know of since I've never been there?

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    Against my budget's better judgment, I am attending PAX South. Does anyone else have experience with different airlines to/from San Antonio from the Minneapolis area? As it stands, I'm stuck with either $400+ flights directly to San Antonio, or $300 (no red-eye) flights to Austin during this time frame. Historical pricing sites haven't been too much help for me. While I would like to save some money if possible, flying into Austin would then mean renting a car and driving 1.5 hours. From what I could gather looking up Greyhound trips, it would take around an hour and 20 minutes to get to the Greyhound station from the airport. Would it be worth it to take my time and chill in Austin for a few hours and spend that $100 on coping margaritas, or should I get to San Antonio ASAP because of reasons I don't know of since I've never been there?

Check out sales around Black Friday. You never know what might be available cheap.

This space for rent
  • Options
    chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    Would it be worth it to take my time and chill in Austin for a few hours and spend that $100 on coping margaritas, or should I get to San Antonio ASAP because of reasons I don't know of since I've never been there?

I've never gone to Texas either, so I'm unsure of its awesomeness. There's definitely some touristy things I want to do on Wednesday and Thursday, though. We are flying (via Southwest) from Hartford to Austin and taking the Greyhound to San Antonio. The station is only a 20min cab ride and the fare estimator put it around $23 (although I want to take a mini-detour to In N Out because I've never been and I want it baaaad). We got 2 round trip AUS-SA Greyhound tickets for $10!

If we could get a direct flight to San Antonio for $50 more per ticket, we would just for convenience... but it's almost $100 more and the prices have been increasing since we bought them. I do check every Tuesday, though, just in case. Kayak prices look good, too, the fluctuation freaks me out though. Good luck!

• Options
    WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    If you find yourself in Austin with a few hours to spare, you could do far worse than to take a cab out to Franklin's Barbecue. It's the best in the world. Depending on how much time you have, you may or may not actually get to the head of the line, but it's worth a shot.

• Options
    m0nk33m0nk33 Keeper of the Tubes Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Eh, Franklin's is okay, but I find La Barbecue to be much better, especially their brisket.

If you take the Austin route, you could always catch a train down to San Antonio - my train ticket was $14 for a reserved coach seat.

I am originally from Minneapolis myself (currently live in Austin), so it would be neat to have a travel buddy from the same area.

graphic.png
  • Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    So I'm from the Midwest and the one crummy thing about South is that it is scheduled smack dab in the middle of our heavy snow season :( Surprisingly, with all of the flying I've done, I've never flown during this period of time. So I'm a little curious to hear from anyone that has experience with flying during snow season. How bad does a snow storm have to get to delay my flight or outright cancel it? Should I have planned for an extra day and fly out on Wednesday? I don't care if my return flight gets cancelled, but I'd hate to have it happen on Thursday and then miss parts of Friday's PAX because I'm on a plane :(

• Options
    wxstormerwxstormer Registered User new member
    For people earlier who were talking about the bus, there is always MegaBus. The San Antonio drop off/pick up point is downtown and is fairly cheap.

• Options
    coomtasticcoomtastic Smexy Beast TejasRegistered User regular
    wxstormer wrote: »
    For people earlier who were talking about the bus, there is always MegaBus. The San Antonio drop off/pick up point is downtown and is fairly cheap.

I actually just found out about the MegaBus from Houston to San Antonio the other day. Since the Katy Mills Mall is about an hour away from me, and I really don't want to be driving around in an unfamiliar city, I think I could just get a ride down there from a friend/relative, and take that instead. Plus, I like how there's an "early" and a "late" bus, so that I at least have choice coming and going.

(So, I'll probably be on one of the Wednesday ones.)

• Options
    rajsiterajsite Registered User new member
    Is it too late to buy Saturday tickets for PAX South? The registration page says ticket are low http://south.paxsite.com/registration

But when actually trying to buy tickets it looks sold out :(

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I'd trust the registration page more than the PAX page.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    MrAGeezieMrAGeezie OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Who do I go to or talk w/ in order to possibly host a tournament? I was thinking about doing a hand held tournament but wanted to see what avenues I would have to pursue.

Come check out my channel for ALL your Pokemon and Nintendo coverage.
    MrAGeezie - www.youtube.com/MrAGeezie
  • Options
    MrAGeezie wrote: »
    Who do I go to or talk w/ in order to possibly host a tournament? I was thinking about doing a hand held tournament but wanted to see what avenues I would have to pursue.

As an exhibitor, or just.. a dude running a tournament?

• Options
    MrAGeezieMrAGeezie OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I wish I could say an exhibitor it unless you count YouTube that'll be a no. However I want to run it with a few other Youtubers and d a few giveaways as well.

Come check out my channel for ALL your Pokemon and Nintendo coverage.
    MrAGeezie - www.youtube.com/MrAGeezie
This discussion has been closed.