As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Explorer dying?

FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
A few days ago, my computer started a problem with windows explorer. It likes to pick random times to stop responding to any commands, sometimes for 60 seconds or more. Usually this happens after coming out of screensaver mode; I usually wait about 10 seconds or so for my computer to 'wake up' then open Firefox, for example. It will just sit there for a good while doing nothing; during that wait time, I also can't call up task manager or even show my task bar if I mouse over.

I've defragged my main hard drive, patched my OS, ran a virus/spyware sweep, and checked the RAM and page files, both of which are fine. I have WinXP Home 2002 SP2, which I know is old but I thought it was odd that it was running perfect until just a few days ago. I've only installed one program in the past few weeks (MapleStory, which has never given me problems before), and even after uninstalling that to test, the problem was still there. So my basic question is, does anyone know what's going on, and if so, is my OS just feeling old age or is it something I can fix/patch up?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FrostyAlphaWolf on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd run chkdsk and/or disconnect the CDrom drive for a short bit. You could try system restore too, but that won't tell you anything, it only might fix it. Also, do you have any cameras or a printer with a card reader connected?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nope, no printers or cameras connected. I do have a multi-card reader installed on my tower, but I never use that. And I'm hoping to avoid a restore, if anything I would almost prefer buying a new OS -_-

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]