As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Zhirrzh" space alien, with a gun

dj snyderdj snyder Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
Sort of concepting for a character model I want to make eventually. He's making hand signals to another one that I tried to draw but it didn't pan out. I might try again later.

zhirrzhpatrolcolorfm8.jpg

Oh yeah also he is from a book I read one time. True story.

dj snyder on

• Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    how did he get that body suit on over those feet?

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's not a body suit, it's paint!

Boring answer: zippers

dj snyder on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The feet blend into eachother like woah...also, the hands aren't the same size.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the fingers should look like a treefrogs. They are too human like.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The feet blend into eachother like woah...also, the hands aren't the same size.

Good points, I'll fix the hand and...I guess I can work on the shading on the feet to try and differentiate?

dj snyder on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    dj snyder wrote: »
    Sort of concepting for a character model I want to make eventually. He's making hand signals to another one that I tried to draw but it didn't pan out. I might try again later.

Oh yeah also he is from a book I read one time. True story.

Like NightDragon said, the feet blend into each other. Layer over the back leg with a muted blue brush on low opacity.

Tam on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, the Feet would be heavy as hell. You drew a human torso, and if you chopped off the hands, head, and feet, one would think you were trying to draw a human.

Human thighs are big enough to carry a human around. You've just added more neck, a large tail, and HUGE feet. That's a lot more mass, and the muscular structure of your creature needs to look like it can handle the extra weight.

...and did you make an indentation for the belly-button? Or is that a line for the abs?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You drew a human torso, and if you chopped off the hands, head, and feet, one would think you were trying to draw a human.

hm. what do you suggest? older attempts were less like that and people were saying make it more humanoid. I can't win! D:
    Human thighs are big enough to carry a human around. You've just added more neck, a large tail, and HUGE feet. That's a lot more mass, and the muscular structure of your creature needs to look like it can handle the extra weight.

bigger thighs, then? I'd tried to make them bigger, I guess it wasn't enough
    ...and did you make an indentation for the belly-button? Or is that a line for the abs?

I think that's just a leftover line from imprecise painting. I'll fix it.

dj snyder on
  • Options
    ArfenhouseArfenhouse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Who is "they"? Who is telling you to ignore your intuitive sense of anatomy? Your friend gathered around you going "oh man that's cool I wish I could draw"? Your art teachers?

An over-over-exaggerated sense of weight and proportion looks off. Example: Cloud from FFVII. His giant sword, with those scrawny ass arms. That is not right. At all. Yeah it looks badass, but he was drawn to be realistic in the game. Now look at advent children. More realism, smaller sword.

Thin thin thin thighs with those huge legs looks off, because the dude would be stumbling over himself trying to walk.

Google up a Velociraptor. You'll see what we mean. To be honest, the character would look a lot better if you moved the reptile-to-humanoid meshing point up to the waist line instead of the calves/knees. Something like a satyr or something.

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Arfenhouse wrote: »
    Who is "they"? Who is telling you to ignore your intuitive sense of anatomy? Your friend gathered around you going "oh man that's cool I wish I could draw"? Your art teachers?

Hahah, some fellow artists/3D character artists.
    Arfenhouse wrote: »
    An over-over-exaggerated sense of weight and proportion looks off. Example: Cloud from FFVII. His giant sword, with those scrawny ass arms. That is not right. At all. Yeah it looks badass, but he was drawn to be realistic in the game. Now look at advent children. More realism, smaller sword.

Thin thin thin thighs with those huge legs looks off, because the dude would be stumbling over himself trying to walk.

Google up a Velociraptor. You'll see what we mean. To be honest, the character would look a lot better if you moved the reptile-to-humanoid meshing point up to the waist line instead of the calves/knees. Something like a satyr or something.

Very true. I think part of it is that I've spent most of my time as an artist doing cartoon characters, and only really tried to improve with realistically proportioned characters in the past two years or so. I've still got kind of a blind spot for proportions. Looking back I can see the feet are way too big.

I think I'll do a sketch taking all this into account and post it

dj snyder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    any better?

nervouszhirrzhnt2.jpg

dj snyder on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Excellent.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Haven't I seen that head before? I'm pretty sure you've posted a few sketches and models of that guy over the past few years.

The_Rat on
  • Options
    LiamEdengerLiamEdenger Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    I would like to entertain a few points, first that a velociraptor with pecs is still a velociraptor and secondly, with pecs such as those he certainly has womanly arms.

I don't usually gawk at alien pecs, but they are so anomalous on a velociraptor-alien that I was drawn to them. :P

LiamEdenger on