As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2014: Until next season....

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Well, sign-ups are starting way earlier this year because some of you don't pay attention to announcements and complained about the length of sign-ups.

So Hypatia decided to give you all a few extra weeks to sign-up. Show your thanks.
    Thanks for doing this @Hypatia. I know it's got to be a load of work organizing and tracking this (like herding cats, only the cats are all ADHD and somebody just set up a disco ball on high speed in the room), and it is deeply appreciated.

Sending up the @ signal to everyone that was signed up last year (excepting those who've already posted in this thread) to make sure they have adequate time to sign up, and possibly to mention in threads that signups are live (for those people who stick to their bookmarked threads and manage to miss the announcements).
    Better to do this sooner, I think, rather than later where it would be necessary wade through pages and pages of posts.

This is brilliant! Thanks.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Not sure if I am signing up this year, but at least I never changed my avatar from last year. I'm ready for the gifting thread!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I will do the thing!
    ... Just as soon as I get home to my computer and send in the proper paperwork.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Can't participate this year because of this little darlin':

XKatt360.jpg

We love her to bits, but she's sick and has drowned us in vet bills.

However, I would still like to help spread the Christmas spirit! Last year I made some foamy Pokemon tree ornaments for my santee, then later for my own tree and for friends. I have a bunch of supplies left, so if you'd like me to make a foamy ornament for your santee, I'd love to do it for the cost of postage. Doesn't have to be Pokemon, just anything without too elaborate a design. I'll post again with pics of what I can do once assignments go out. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Woo, I'm in.
    How many years has it been now?

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i will probably get my info and stuff in soonish

thanks for the @ or else i would have forgot to check

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @see317‌ - thanks for the heads up!

@Hypatia‌ - thank you for being awesome!

Let's do this.

Quoting this with the @ s because the man speaks the truth and I'd like to echo his position of you folks being wonderful.

Awww, thank you, you guys always make my day and it's one of the most worthwhile things I've ever volunteered to do :)

• mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Self, says I, you have to sign up again and make someone's Christmasishtime appreciably more merry in return for the boatload of cheer you received last year.

But have you forgotten? I ask myself sadly. You have hardly had any time to make with the posting this year and all your scant postings were in forums other than G&T. This will just make you an undue burden for whomever has the misfortune to pick you and cause much gnashing of teeth.

It's a real pickle, I agree. I guess I have a month to suss it out.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees the best time of the year.

Also I love that LewieP's gift to Ketchum_ash is still mentioned in the OP.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Self, says I, you have to sign up again and make someone's Christmasishtime appreciably more merry in return for the boatload of cheer you received last year.

But have you forgotten? I ask myself sadly. You have hardly had any time to make with the posting this year and all your scant postings were in forums other than G&T. This will just make you an undue burden for whomever has the misfortune to pick you and cause much gnashing of teeth.

It's a real pickle, I agree. I guess I have a month to suss it out.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My joys at the signs of Christmas incoming are somewhat tempered by the terror as to how fast that means the years of my life are now zipping by me.

This is what children do to you!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Big thanks for the @ post @see317.

And an even bigger thanks to @Hypatia‌ for running the new season!

I am so in!

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    All signed up! I am super pumped. Plus we have a cat now to help pose in pictures!

Thank you to @see317 for the mention. <3

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I'm definitely in, thanks for the notification. I feel like I'm saying this ever year, but I don't have a whole lot of money to spend so I won't be able to send anything super fancy, but I'd feel bad if I didn't participate at all so what the hell.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the "@ signal" @see317!

And to @Hypatia‌ for running these shenanigans!

I find it funny how the OP mentions that strangers on the internet are less likely to get us stuff we like than family members, given that PA'ers have knocked it out of the park every year I've participated. It's a fair and important warning, absolutely, but y'all are awesome.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, thanks @see317 !
    Just to think, last year I was compulsively F5-ing G&T, hoping the thread would pop up.
    This year it snuck up on me.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Thanks for the "@ signal" @see317!

And to @Hypatia‌ for running these shenanigans!

I find it funny how the OP mentions that strangers on the internet are less likely to get us stuff we like than family members, given that PA'ers have knocked it out of the park every year I've participated. It's a fair and important warning, absolutely, but y'all are awesome.

I'm afraid I'm out this year for reasons, but I second this. It's amazing how well my Santas have shopped for me each year. They are especially great at buying things you didn't know you needed. Last year, among my gifts was a copy of An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. It wasn't the most expensive gift in the box, it wasn't the gift that I was the most impressed with initially (the beautiful Sandman book took that prize), but in the end it was easily the gift I enjoyed the most. I would never in a million years have picked out a book written by a Canadian astronaut in a bookstore, but it was an absolute perfect gift.

It's also a good illustration that although the OMG gifts are amazing (trust me, the year before I got a Wii U and it was humbling and insane), the smaller, thoughtful gifts are just as wonderful.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Indeed, for all the awesome swag I have picked up in this dealio, the ones that stick in the memory as the best are the things you wouldn't have otherwise ever picked up yourself but ended up loving.

e.g. @Judge-Z‌ got me Old Man's War (Novel) and Eclipse (Board Game) last year, neither which I would ever have picked up under my own steam, both of which I have enjoyed immensely. Santa win.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm consistently amazed at how good this group is at shopping for one another. Hell, I received my current favorite book from this exchange a couple years ago and now follow the author on twitter and have the majority of his catalog on my wishlist. I hope that my gifts have been as good for some of my Santees as my Santas' have been for me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I can confirm that Old Man's War is fantastic. I also enjoyed the other books in the series, particularly The Ghost Brigades, though I recommend reading them in order.

Heh, books. So many memes over the years for these shenanigans, from "books are gay" to "everyone gives everyone World War Z", among others.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    This will be my seventh year in a row! And yeah, everyone has really been awesome and it's the best thread to peruse and see gift after amazing gift being sent and opened. As well as all of the crazy, stalking, creepy, puzzling posts that take place in between.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the nudge see317!

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Signed up! Just need to beat Costume Quest 1 again (it's a tradition now, and 2 when it comes out!) take my son to boo at the zoo, and go trick or treating. Then the SS thread will have my full attention!

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    anoffday wrote: »
    Signed up! Just need to beat Costume Quest 1 again (it's a tradition now, and 2 when it comes out!) take my son to boo at the zoo, and go trick or treating. Then the SS thread will have my full attention!

Is Boo at the Zoo a common name for a thing, or do we live near one another? Is your zoo pretty vertical and has a kickass giraffe enclosure?

camo_sig2.png
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    So excited! Signed up.

I hope nobody gets a bum Santee like I did last year. It was so disappointing to never see the gifts I bought posted.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Is Boo at the Zoo a common name for a thing, or do we live near one another? Is your zoo pretty vertical and has a kickass giraffe enclosure?

Eh, I'm guessing it's common. In this case though I'm talking about the Cleveland Zoo. Are you in Ohio?

Steam: offday
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Christmas in September! My avatar has been waiting for this moment all year. Thanks @Hypatia!
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »
    OhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygodOhmygod
    Also this may be a reason for me to purchase this Pabu for someone.

I haven't watched any Korra, but that's adorable.
    You should fix this. I've just started season two, and it's mostly excellent.

• LostLost Registered User regular
    I have seen the @ signal, and I have turned in my response.
    This is the best time of the year!

jclast wrote: »

Eh, I'm guessing it's common. In this case though I'm talking about the Cleveland Zoo. Are you in Ohio?

Nope - at least 2 zoos do it. I'm in Colorado Springs.

camo_sig2.png
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    This will be my first year signing up but I have lurked about enough to know that this is something I must take part in. As if I need something else to get me excited about the coming holiday season.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Signed up!

Thanks again, Hypatia and see317.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    yay, another year of fun!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I'm in there like Flynnwear! Wait, that's not how it goes. Whatever.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I am in as well, posting right after my Santee from last year!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh man I am totally signing up, just like every year, but I am also moving soon and dunno the new address yet. So I will be late signing up...or more likely forgetting entirely...damn. Always one of the best parts of the year though, hurray!

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh man I am totally signing up, just like every year, but I am also moving soon and dunno the new address yet. So I will be late signing up...or more likely forgetting entirely...damn. Always one of the best parts of the year though, hurray!

I'm also moving relatively soon (don't have my new address yet), so I let Hypatia know that it's subject to change. Hopefully I don't cause him too much trouble.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Signed up! (*)

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh you guys KNOW i'm in on this. Just you wait.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
    edited September 2014
    Forar wrote: »
    I can confirm that Old Man's War is fantastic. I also enjoyed the other books in the series, particularly The Ghost Brigades, though I recommend reading them in order.

If you haven't read "The Android's Dream" yet by Scalzi, it is a really fun read, I was really surprised that I hadn't heard of it and found it excitingly unpredictable!

Hypatia on
    I hope nobody gets a bum Santee like I did last year. It was so disappointing to never see the gifts I bought posted.

Yeah, this year I'm trying to monitor to ask anyone who didn't post pics in previous years to either belatedly post them or justify why they didn't. I've gone 2-3 years in a row now of santees who never posted their gift gets and it's been a big let down and makes me feel like my gifts must have sucked. :(