As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to do with my money pt. II

minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
So I'm closing in on having 15K in my checking account. This is in addition to 10K that I have in a savings account at 0.85% APY serving as rainy day money.

I'm thinking once I hit the 15K, I should leave the 5K in my checking, and then do something productive with the 10K. Make the money work for me and all that.
But I know nothing of this world, so I need help.
I'd prefer something low risk because fuck losing 10K.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If you've got 3-6 months of living fees in your emergency, investment sounds like the right route for you.

Also, I can't remember the previous thread, but you've taken care of all your expenses? School loans, credit card, car payment?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yep, I don't have any debt.

• Options
    And have you maxed out all your tax-deferred routes like a 401k and started an IRA and maxed out your yearly contributions there? That's going to give you a better return.

If you need the liquidity more, avoid them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    If you don't need this money I'd say a carefully chosen mutual fund. Not impervious to loss but it's relatively safe and provides good returns.

Quid on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    bowen wrote: »
    And have you maxed out all your tax-deferred routes like a 401k and started an IRA and maxed out your yearly contributions there? That's going to give you a better return.

You'll still need to decide how to invest if you go those routes, as 401k's and IRA's are just tax free accounts, not actual investments. Although I think alot of 401k's come with only 1 or 2 options for investing (some sort of mutual fund I think).

But hands down the best investment you can ever make is employer matching. Lots of employers will have programs where you can withdraw a portion of your paycheck straight into a retirement account (like a 401k), and they will kick in additional money. If you employer does this you should be withdrawing the maximum portion you can that results in additional money from the employer. If that cuts your paycheck below what you need you should still do it, but supplement your income with your savings until you are down to just your emergency fund. Then scale back.

None of that really has to do with investing though. As a completely uneducated investor I know of 3 ways of investing so far. All of them will pretty much require you to open a brokerage account somewhere, either with an actual person at a bank or brokerage firm or online at something like e-trade. With an actual person account you can often get personalized investment advice, but prices to do basically anything will be higher.

Anyways the 3 ways that I know of (and again I am a complete noob here) are basically buying stocks and or bonds, buying into a mutual find, or buying into an index or exchang traded fund. Buying the individual stocks/bonds is the most risk/reward. This is how people like warren buffet got alarmingly rich, by being able to decide which companies will outperform general expectations and buying stocks in those companies. But if you bet wrong it's a lot easier to just lose all of your money this way. Mutual/index/exchange funds are basically a way for you to put someone else in charge of buying the stocks/bonds. You buy in and then pay a yearly fee for someone else to do all of the work. In a mutual fund they fund manager buys whatever they feel like based on personal philosophies, typically called an actively managed fund. For index/exchange traded funds the fund manager is basically saying they will buy stocks based on a particular index. The difference seems to be that buy passively just buying stocks based on company size or whatever, they can charge you lower fees. It's highly debatable whether the actively managed higher fee funds will beat the passively managed lower fee funds.

For what it's worth, I personally have a brokerage account with a real person who oversees my investments, and as a youngin (mid 20's) they usually advise me to put some money in ITFs/ETFs but most of my money in individual stocks (I think I have stock in around 9 large companies at the moment). The idea I guess is that since I'm young I should take more risks because I have a long time to recover from bad bets, and the higher rewards will hopefully net me more money over the long term. That's what they tell me anyway.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    How old are you (or rather, how far from retirement)? What do you want your money to do?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I personally think index funds are the way to go, although you should shop around for the best deal on management fees.

Individual stocks scare me, frankly. You have to be confident that you can 1) pick individual stocks that will outperform the market, and 2) that they will do so by enough of a margin to outweigh whatever you're paying your broker. There are small investors that do this successfully so it isn't necessarily something you should avoid, but it seems difficult to make the investment of time/research worthwhile if you don't have the background or aren't already involved in the market.

It's actually not that hard to test it for yourself if you're interested; pick five or eight stocks that you think you'd invest in, note their current valuation, and track them for a year.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Assuming you're in your twenties/early thirties, you should just put everything into an index fund/ETF, minimizing management fees. The Vanguard S&P 500 is very low expense fund that's relatively safe. It tracks the 500 largest publicly traded companies in the U.S.

There's really no reason to do individual stocks, as management fees for tracked diversified indexes have gone down to the point that they are (can/should be) essentially unnoticeable, and the benefits are worth it. Individual stocks do not increase the expected returns of your portfolio, just the variance. No matter how young you are, variance isn't a good thing, it's just less bad the younger you are as it generally gets smoothed out in the long run.

As you get older, start investing a bigger and bigger portion of your contributions into bonds, but for now, all equity is fine as long as you're committed to keeping it there until you retire, barring some kind of extreme event.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    3rd'd for Index Funds.

And I use Vanguard.

Fuckers keep sending me cheques though, and still have MRS as my pronoun.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    That ETF is along the lines of what I was thinking of. Vanguard is pretty good overall too.

• Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »

You'll still need to decide how to invest if you go those routes, as 401k's and IRA's are just tax free accounts, not actual investments. Although I think alot of 401k's come with only 1 or 2 options for investing (some sort of mutual fund I think).

But hands down the best investment you can ever make is employer matching. Lots of employers will have programs where you can withdraw a portion of your paycheck straight into a retirement account (like a 401k), and they will kick in additional money. If you employer does this you should be withdrawing the maximum portion you can that results in additional money from the employer. If that cuts your paycheck below what you need you should still do it, but supplement your income with your savings until you are down to just your emergency fund. Then scale back.

None of that really has to do with investing though. As a completely uneducated investor I know of 3 ways of investing so far. All of them will pretty much require you to open a brokerage account somewhere, either with an actual person at a bank or brokerage firm or online at something like e-trade. With an actual person account you can often get personalized investment advice, but prices to do basically anything will be higher.

Anyways the 3 ways that I know of (and again I am a complete noob here) are basically buying stocks and or bonds, buying into a mutual find, or buying into an index or exchang traded fund. Buying the individual stocks/bonds is the most risk/reward. This is how people like warren buffet got alarmingly rich, by being able to decide which companies will outperform general expectations and buying stocks in those companies. But if you bet wrong it's a lot easier to just lose all of your money this way. Mutual/index/exchange funds are basically a way for you to put someone else in charge of buying the stocks/bonds. You buy in and then pay a yearly fee for someone else to do all of the work. In a mutual fund they fund manager buys whatever they feel like based on personal philosophies, typically called an actively managed fund. For index/exchange traded funds the fund manager is basically saying they will buy stocks based on a particular index. The difference seems to be that buy passively just buying stocks based on company size or whatever, they can charge you lower fees. It's highly debatable whether the actively managed higher fee funds will beat the passively managed lower fee funds.

For what it's worth, I personally have a brokerage account with a real person who oversees my investments, and as a youngin (mid 20's) they usually advise me to put some money in ITFs/ETFs but most of my money in individual stocks (I think I have stock in around 9 large companies at the moment). The idea I guess is that since I'm young I should take more risks because I have a long time to recover from bad bets, and the higher rewards will hopefully net me more money over the long term. That's what they tell me anyway.

Yeah I just wanted to make sure he was putting all the money he can into those vehicles first (regardless of what type of investment he's using with them).

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    If you don't know a lot about investing and don't want to learn, then there target retirement funds that are broadly diversified and the assets allocation changes as you near retirement. The fees are slightly higher than if you allocated everything yourself, but the Vanguard ones are still under 0.2% which is pretty negligible.

• Options
    If you don't want downside risk, CD's and Inflation protected bonds are basically your vehicles. Index funds carry with them the risk of the market, so if this is an auxiliary emergency/liquid area, they may not be a good fit.

• Options
    CDs are probably worse off than a savings account now, due to the non-liquidity of the fund.

My savings account has a .9% interest rate.

All but the 5 year CDs, at 10k you're looking at $100 a year in a CD, might as well pop it into a savings account at the .9% instead unless you can know for a fact you can leave it untouched for 5 years and get the 1.5-2% return. Bonds might be worth it, though, I haven't really looked into those, but I think they're in the 3-5% territory right? Not bad, but I think to get 5% you need a 30 year maturity date?

If it were me, I'd go after either a savings or index fund because CDs and Bonds just don't seem worth it. The vanguad S&P 500, even though moderately high risk, has something like a 10-15% return so, there's also that.

• Options
    CDs are probably worse off than a savings account now, due to the non-liquidity of the fund.

My savings account has a .9% interest rate.

All but the 5 year CDs, at 10k you're looking at $100 a year in a CD, might as well pop it into a savings account at the .9% instead unless you can know for a fact you can leave it untouched for 5 years and get the 1.5-2% return. Bonds might be worth it, though, I haven't really looked into those, but I think they're in the 3-5% territory right? Not bad, but I think to get 5% you need a 30 year maturity date?

If it were me, I'd go after either a savings or index fund because CDs and Bonds just don't seem worth it. The vanguad S&P 500, even though moderately high risk, has something like a 10-15% return so, there's also that.

It's all about risk tolerance and liquidity need, as he indicated he didn't want anything high risk and this is checking account money, so theoretically available for use on a regular basis.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm turning 26 this year, so I'm quite a ways away from retirement. Does a 401K still make sense in this case? And I ask because for the most part I'm not 100% on what 401K's are. Is that pretty much retirement money? You can only have it once you're officially retired?

As for what I want the money to do? I'm not sure? I just know that it's not beneficial to just have it laying around a checking account. I'd like it to accrue some interest, but still have it be somewhat accessible.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You are like, the person that should be investing in a 401k and IRAs. Just looking at a 401k, if your company matches what you put in for 100% up to 5% of your paycheck, you basically are getting 100% returns on 5% of your paycheck flat out.

You can't beat that with the market, ever, which is why they tell you 401ks first.

IRAs are typically next because of the tax deferral/deduction. You eschew paying taxes now for paying taxes when you're retired, which should be noticeably less than what you're paying now.

Once you've maxed out those, then that's, typically, when you want to invest in index funds/stocks/bonds whathaveyou with paying capital gains.

Edit:
    You can pull from retirement accounts, but their may be stipulations about them in regards to what you can and can't do, and if you're in a hardship that require it. You may have to pay taxes on it.

bowen on
  • Options
    minirhyder wrote: »
    I'm turning 26 this year, so I'm quite a ways away from retirement. Does a 401K still make sense in this case? And I ask because for the most part I'm 100% on what 401K's are. Is that pretty much retirement money? You can only have it once you're officially retired?

As for what I want the money to do? I'm not sure? I just know that it's not beneficial to just have it laying around a checking account. I'd like it to accrue some interest, but still have it be somewhat accessible.

Do you need it to be liquid? If not, 401k/IRA is the way to go.

• Options
    Oh man if you don't have a retirement account and don't need that money then yeah dump it all in to one of those. It'd be a great starting amount and after that just start throwing in extra cash every month.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Everyone needs to be saving for retirement, beginning when they're like 16, tbh. (Not that everyone can, just... Ought to).

Some day you will retire. That means stop making any money. For decades, if you're lucky. Gonna take a bunch of money to a accomplish that. It's not fun now, but retiring is supposedly pretty fun.

If you sent already contributing let's say at least 10% of your income to a 401k (hopefully with employer match), and you're saving enough to have that nice account, you ought to get to the 401k saving.

That is money you will need some day.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Ok, so I'm looking into my employer's 401K details and here's what it says:

Contributions
    • Pre-Tax: 1% to 80%
    • Roth 401(k) 1% to 80%

Can someone translate the above for me?

Vesting
    Years of Service                      2       3       4       5
    Employer Match w/vesting      25%   50%   75%   100%
    Employer NEC Vested Immediately

I've been with the employer for almost 1.5 years. According to the above, they do no matching until I get 2 years in. So would it still make sense for me to enroll in it, or should I wait until I hit my 2 year mark? Or, given that they don't even match 100% until the 5 year mark, should I just do another thing entirely?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if a match is offered there's not many good reasons to not use their plan unless you are planning on quitting soon

i echo everyones sentiment that you need to be in stocks in same way shape form or fashion, be it funds, 401k, whatever

get dat shit in the S&P 500, sit back, and watch the number get bigger

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I'm looking into my employer's 401K details and here's what it says:

Contributions
    • Pre-Tax: 1% to 80%
    • Roth 401(k) 1% to 80%

Can someone translate the above for me?

Vesting

I've been with the employer for almost 1.5 years. According to the above, they do no matching until I get 2 years in. So would it still make sense for me to enroll in it, or should I wait until I hit my 2 year mark? Or, given that they don't even match 100% until the 5 year mark, should I just do another thing entirely?

I feel like we're missing some information.
    The 1-80% looks like how much of your own salary you're allowed to put into the account. (Usually this doesn't go up above like 50% or 25% but almost no one takes advantage of that much anyway)
    The other percentages look like the vesting schedule only.

There should be some other number describing how much they will match.

Usually it's like, "100% match up to 5% of salary" (for every dollar you put in, they put in one, up until they amount they've put in is 5% of your salary) and then if you have vesting those matched funds aren't available do you until you've worked the required time.

For example my last job that had matching was a 75% match on up to 8% of my salary. So I put in 8% and they put in 6%. I could in theory have added more than 8% (I don't remember what the limit was) but would have gotten no extra benefit from that.

The way you've got it written there's no limit to the amount they'll match... which, if they're doing 100% matches on as much as 80% of people's salary that's insane.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Roth IRAs are an interesting beast. You pay taxes on your income now, but the earnings are tax-free at the end. You can also pull contributions (but not earnings!) out if needed with less hassle than 401(k)s, although I think there may be some age restrictions for unlimited withdrawl. The max you can contribute a year is $5500 (and you have to make under $120k for that), so you have to figure out how much you'd normally want to put in to see if the match is right for you. You can also do a 401(k) and roll it over to a Roth, but you have to check with your employer first to see if it's allowed. They're good if you're willing and able to bear the tax burden now, because you should expect it to be worth a good bit more later.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The maximum yearly contribution to a Roth 401(k) (and 401(k)s in general) is $17500 this year for people under 55. For people over 55, they can contribute an additional $5500 per year to catch up for late investors. So, if you can take advantage of a 401(k), keep in mind that it'll let you contribute more money to it than an IRA.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Announces-2014-Pension-Plan-Limitations;-Taxpayers-May-Contribute-up-to-$17,500-to-their-401(k)-plans-in-2014

The 2015 maximums aren't yet known for sure, but the 401(k) contribution limit increasing to $18000 a pretty safe bet.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Vesting

Actually that looks like a vesting schedule. That shows how many years you need to work at your employer to receive X% of the employer match. So if you work there at least 2 years and then leave, you can get 25% of whatever your employer puts in (everything you put in is yours). When you work there at least 5 years if you leave you can take it all. That stuff doesn't seem to show your actual match formula though.

401ks are often restrictive about when you can take out funds so you should consider it non-liquid. There can be provisions for early withdrawals, hardships, and sometimes loans (it varies from place to place, wildly) but they are a mess and a pain and a lot of work and withdrawals have taxation and penalties. Better to just have liquid savings set aside for an emergency fund than to try to get a hardship withdrawal because your car broke down (and then find out Safe Harbor Hardship rules do not allow hardships for vehicle repairs though if you have unpaid funeral expenses those can get covered or whatever the heck).

How long were you planning on staying at your current job?

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I personally think index funds are the way to go, although you should shop around for the best deal on management fees.

Individual stocks scare me, frankly. You have to be confident that you can 1) pick individual stocks that will outperform the market, and 2) that they will do so by enough of a margin to outweigh whatever you're paying your broker. There are small investors that do this successfully so it isn't necessarily something you should avoid, but it seems difficult to make the investment of time/research worthwhile if you don't have the background or aren't already involved in the market.

It's actually not that hard to test it for yourself if you're interested; pick five or eight stocks that you think you'd invest in, note their current valuation, and track them for a year.

My company runs a SEP IRA through Charles Schwab, and I can definitely recommend it; I even opened up my own personal Roth IRA account there. It gives you recommended breakdowns for investment types, to keep you from putting all of your eggs in one basket, and gives you pretty much all the info you might need.

I don't really research them much at all, though, just picking the ones that sounded good to me, and it's gained about 12k value in less than 5 years. At a rough guess I've spent maybe $650 in that time in transaction fees (at $9 each), so it really doesn't take long to make up for it. After all, that's $9 to buy some stocks once, and then they're earning value for me for the next forty years.

You just have to remember that with retirement accounts, you're in for the long haul. If you're in there every other day trying to move stocks for the best value, you'll almost certainly lose value. The transaction fee is flat, so you might make that up if you were trading an assload of money for a 0.1% gain, not so much for $400 in a couple Amazon stocks or whatever.

• Options
    Yeah, find out what the max match amount is, then do that, as it's FREE MONEY. Even if things don't go so great, if you're getting a 100% match, you're already up 100%.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    Roth IRAs are an interesting beast. You pay taxes on your income now, but the earnings are tax-free at the end. You can also pull contributions (but not earnings!) out if needed with less hassle than 401(k)s, although I think there may be some age restrictions for unlimited withdrawl. The max you can contribute a year is $5500 (and you have to make under $120k for that), so you have to figure out how much you'd normally want to put in to see if the match is right for you. You can also do a 401(k) and roll it over to a Roth, but you have to check with your employer first to see if it's allowed. They're good if you're willing and able to bear the tax burden now, because you should expect it to be worth a good bit more later.
    Generally Roth accounts are amazing if you have a shit load of deductions and credits the year you roll over. If I buy a house or do some serious work on my house involving energy efficiency or lose my ass in investments. I'm going to roll over the account because you will get a lot of the tax money back.