As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread bleh, use new thread.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    @Rie‌

Some feedback! I mentioned this last night but it may have been lost in the chat scroll.

It would be helpful for the models to know the walk order before hand, and if there was an alternate entrance to the backstage area. Basically, we want to watch as much of the show as we can. I was lucky in that I have two monitors so I was able to watch Delph's stream on the other one, but it's delayed by about a minute, and I wasn't sure how I'd be notified when it was my turn to walk. If we could stand off to the side in the audience near an entrance that doesn't pass through the main stage, that would be perfect!

• Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Cleared Titan EX last night with a pretty heavy-hitting crew. I was probably carried, but I survived the whole fight and never stopped casting, so I think I contributed at least a little. Either way, Titan EX downed! :) ( link to learning hour spreadsheet )

I also just realized that if I get all classes to 30, stay in Maelstrom, and level Ninja, I will be a Pirate Ninja named Leon <the Professional>. If that's not a goal to strive for, I don't know what is.

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    The good news: Ifrit Ex is an absolute cakewalk as DPS.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    I find tanking thru the roulettes is a steady-way for making money. It helps when you can not get those occasional big payouts like furniture selling or resources.

I've only ever tanked in one game (TSW) and that was for a short time. It's not something I seek out when figuring out what to play in an MMO. :)

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Ya'lls FC is having too much fun. You need to take it down a notch, you're making the rest of us look bad.

;)

sig.gif
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    @Rie‌

Some feedback! I mentioned this last night but it may have been lost in the chat scroll.

It would be helpful for the models to know the walk order before hand, and if there was an alternate entrance to the backstage area. Basically, we want to watch as much of the show as we can. I was lucky in that I have two monitors so I was able to watch Delph's stream on the other one, but it's delayed by about a minute, and I wasn't sure how I'd be notified when it was my turn to walk. If we could stand off to the side in the audience near an entrance that doesn't pass through the main stage, that would be perfect!

*sneaks an "I told you so" to Rie.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Ya'lls FC is having too much fun. You need to take it down a notch, you're making the rest of us look bad.

;)

Ain't no party like a Ghost party cause a Ghost party don't stop.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Okay, so I have a few crafting related questions:

- Is there anything wrong with leveling every class from 15-50 by HQ leve turn-ins? I was thinking about stopping at ~48 and just crafting everything in my log once to make sure I know what's what. Good idea? Bad idea?
    - Should I go back and do my GSM (/every other class) quests? Are the level 50 quest items worth it? And/or is there a specific set(s) of gear I should get all my crafters at 50?
    - Is there a crafting linkshell / crafter community I can join? Maybe take up an apprenticeship with someone to learn the lingo and how to craft 1+ star things?
    - My current plan for crafting is level GSM/BSM/ARM, then get MIN up. Then: FSH, ALC, and CUL. Finally: BOT, WVR, CRP, LTW. Is that fine? Or do I really need some of the 37+ skills if I want to be effective with GSM/BSM/ARM right away? I have all crafters to 15.

edit - I know we have a bunch of amazing crafters in-game, but I figured I could get some of the basics out of the way instead of just pounding one person with a million questions :)

edit 2 - sorry for editing while some people are trying to answer; just figured I'd clean it up a bit instead of having a small wall of text

Chubby Bunny on

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    1) Nope, a lot of people do that so no worries there.

2) Yes, the final weapon you get is really good, you're going to want it.

3) probably, I'm admittedly not very entrenched in the crafting community. We have some really solid crafters in FC though that are a veritable font of knowledge on the subject.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    So, remember when I was asking questions about glamours, and how I thought I'd turned my MNK AF featherhelm into something else?

Turns out I was just hiding the damn thing from being displayed, and the wrap on my char's head is part of that hairstyle.

/soembarrassed

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Crafting one of everything (well more to the point, enough unique items) will earn you a class locked ring with more CP than the Electrum Ring and I believe a durability loss reduction effect. No materia slots, worthless for 1 star+ crafting and you'll be using the Aetheryte Rings anyhow. Personally, I'd do this as something else to do for completionist's sake. Stick with leve burning to level to 50.

No disadvantage to leve levelling. Fastest method, costs the least.

The level 50 class quest gives you the AF primary tool, which is necessary unless you get the achievement one for grinding out hundreds/thousands of crafted items for each level range. Some of the events are cool as well. Ok, all of them are pretty cool. Getting a complete set of HQ level 50 AF gear for crafting puts you in a very favourable position when it comes to 1 star crafting. You may not be able to 100% HQ the 40 durability crafts with NQ mats, but you should be in a good chance to 100% HQ the 80 durability crafts if you have all the critical high level cross-class skills (Byregot's Blessing, Innovation, Ingenuity II, Steady Hand II, Careful Synthesis II)

I just check the markets and use my 'what would I do?' test for stuff. Generally, level 40 is the cut-off point for crafted armour gear. The AF1 gear starts to become available at level 45 so any major slot but the body slot will be in i50 gear so you cannot make anything that beats that. I personally find stuff at level 20, 30 and 40 sell reasonably but they don't sell fast. Anyone with 10k to burn on a HQ Mythril Cuirass is likely to be a ARM AND knows that melding some Accuracy Materia is going to make that thing last until 50. The cost of the materials isn't too bad; it's the shards that will kill you. That Mythril Ingot? 4 shards each, so that's around 200-240gil in shards per ingot, which is almost the same cost as the mythril ore itself. Seek out the beastman tribe vendors, they will save you in shards.

Speaking of which, I'd say that Materia is going to sell a lot better than gear. Especially crafting and gathering materia. People overmeld like crazy when they need to get to the next level of crafting so a lot of Grade 1 and 2s get burnt up. Check out http://ffxiv.ariyala.com and check out what kind of materia you'll need to get 'perfect' melds on the crafting/gathering gear and you'll understand why materia get put through the shredder.
    I spent about a million gil on materia this week just as a FYI, and although I'm now 2 star capable for my DoHs (accessories first!) I'm not going to even attempt those crafts because I just squeak into the requirements for those.

Edit: The cost of shards is the reason for my... peculiar remuneration preference when I craft stuff for people. I often have a decent stockpile of materials, but the shards is what's always on my mind. I don't take gil payment, I take shard payment. Doesn't matter what type because I will find a use for them!

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    For end game crafting you're going to want WVR and CRP at 50 I believe. You'll want CUL at 37 for Steady Hands 2 since you tend to use Hasty Touch to increase quality without using CP. I think ARM and BSM are 2 of the least effective ones at 50 if I'm not mistaken? Is there a reason you chose those 3 first Chubby?

Also leveling via HQ leve turn-ins is the best way to level crafters. I'd especially do that at later levels because the materials can be expensive if you want to try to craft 1 of everything. You're going to get 200k exp for a HQ turn in at later levels vs 10-15k for crafting a new item (roughly, I don't remember exact values these are examples).

I haven't leveled fishing yet but having BOT and MIN maxed out makes me fairly self sufficient for any craft. I think FSH is really only used for CUL.

One bonus to leveling WVR is that you can make your own crafting gear as well. It's a huge benefit being able to have new gear every 5-10 levels for most of your slots. I think GSM is the 2nd most useful for this with CRP, LTW, and BSM each make 1-2 slot of items also (offhand,shoes,belt that I can think of). Having LTW leveled for your gatherers helps also. I recall a lot of the MIN and BOT gear requiring LTW to make.\

Oh and the class quests are definitely good to do. They'll give you a good OH or MH for that class + allagan pieces (or gear if you don't have it yet). They also give decent experience and the lvl 50 MHs are best in slot until you can move to Supra versions I believe.

Cirira on
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    WVR makes the majority of the DoH gear. There's a few LTW pieces (mainly belts, occasionally gloves and shoes) and GSM makes the RHS accessories.
    BSM makes the vast majority of tools. GSM and ARM makes some odd bits and pieces though like the alembics, mortars and needles.
    LTW makes most of the DoL gear with a few pieces made by WVR and the very occasional head piece by GSM. GSM also makes the neck and earring accessories while LTW usually makes the rings and bracelets. Note, the bracelets use coral, which are typically expensive unless you fish them up yourself, or get your retainer to do it for you. GP isn't as important as CP, however.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited September 2014
    Cirira wrote: »
    For end game crafting you're going to want WVR and CRP at 50 I believe. You'll want CUL at 37 for Steady Hands 2 since you tend to use Hasty Touch to increase quality without using CP. I think ARM and BSM are 2 of the least effective ones at 50 if I'm not mistaken? Is there a reason you chose those 3 first Chubby?

Ta'los Lothar (FC member) offered to make me HQ leve turn-ins at no cost besides mats and he only has those 3 leveled. I had the money to burn and struck the iron while it was hot (pun intended).
    I haven't leveled fishing yet but having BOT and MIN maxed out makes me fairly self sufficient for any craft. I think FSH is really only used for CUL.

I think FSH also helps a lot with ALC, but I only have them both to ~15. I was honestly just going to do FSH next because I like it. BOT is fun, but it's the exact same thing as MIN so I figured I'd give myself a break between stripping Eorzea of all her materials.

Thank you both for taking the time; this helped me a lot. I will probably just keep banging out leves until I have everything I can at 50, finish my quests on every class, and then make/buy the rest of my gear slots and start playing the materia/materials markets. Can I buy one gear set for all the crafters? Or does each class demand its own set (different craftsmanship/control/CP requirements)?

Chubby Bunny on

Until 50 all of the DoH and DoL share their respective gear except MH/OH (which you can get via quests). I have LTW, GSM, WVR, and CUL maxed if you need anything made for those to get some decent HQ gear to level with. I'll also do it for just the material costs. I'm working on CRP (30ish) and ARM (41ish) as well so those may be done by next weekend if you need those as well. BSM and ALC will be my last two and I'm not sure how quickly I'll do Alchemy. The number of random items you need for ALC puts me off leveling it quickly. BSM, ARM, and CRP tend to only need 2-3 items for their levees at least.

Gorgin Blackhan is my name in game if you need anthing.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm just 3 classes at 46-47 away from having all my DoH classes at 50
    okay technically only 2 are at 50, but the ones at 49 are close enough they'll ding from catching up on 30 levels worth of class quests.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • RieRie Registered User regular
    November and Bri, thanks for the feedback!
    I will definitely keep that in mind for future events.
    I will also make a side door to the stage so people can get in and out

FF14 - Rie Himawari (Sargatanas)
  • secretexhibitionsecretexhibition Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    You guys are pretty awesome. That Chocobo Kart event looked very cool, hopefully I can make the next time you guys throw an event like that. The way the Fashion show was held and organised looked great, too. I am not nearly as inventive as others when it comes to cosmetics, for sure.

I ended up transferring my main (GF did, as well). The fact that you can transfer as many characters off your server as you wish (up to the limit of 8 on your new server) for the one transfer fee is fantastic, too. Made it much easier to get around the Gil cap than I thought it would be. :)
    My current plan for crafting is level GSM/BSM/ARM, then get MIN up. Then: FSH, ALC, and CUL. Finally: BOT, WVR, CRP, LTW. Is that fine? Or do I really need some of the 37+ skills if I want to be effective with GSM/BSM/ARM right away? I have all crafters to 15.

When I started crafting I levelled all to 15 (in an inefficient way), and then got CUL to 37 asap, followed by CRP to 50 (Byregot's Blessing). Even just at that point I was able to HQ CRP 1* stuff pretty reliably it felt (just needed HQ mats) without any melds, and without having all my gear HQ. So if you want to be able to HQ some 1 star stuff early on (or even make it easier to HQ your own leve items) Byregot's Blessing and Steady Hand II are humongous for that.

I followed that with GSM (spiritbonding, primarily) then WVR (crafting armour), LTW, ALC and haven't even gotten a DoL to 50 yet. I'd probably level WVR earlier if I had it over again, and try to force myself to gather more and be more self-sufficient.

Doing things the way you're planning should make it a lot easier on your pockets. I was able to make money while levelling, but mostly 'cause I was HQing stuff as I went, and crafting extra Leve items to sell.

secretexhibition on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also do the new ixal dailies since they give good chunks of xp and it scales somewhat to your level. And the crafting gloves you get at max rep are BiS

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2014
    Until 50 all of the DoH and DoL share their respective gear except MH/OH (which you can get via quests). I have LTW, GSM, WVR, and CUL maxed if you need anything made for those to get some decent HQ gear to level with. I'll also do it for just the material costs. I'm working on CRP (30ish) and ARM (41ish) as well so those may be done by next weekend if you need those as well. BSM and ALC will be my last two and I'm not sure how quickly I'll do Alchemy. The number of random items you need for ALC puts me off leveling it quickly. BSM, ARM, and CRP tend to only need 2-3 items for their levees at least.

Gorgin Blackhan is my name in game if you need anthing.

@Cirira‌ Thanks! I'll definitely hit you up. I have some gil to throw around so I can pick up crafting gear to use < 50, myself. If you don't mind, I'd love to use you for HQ leve turn-ins for whatever classes you feel like helping out on. I've been throwing Ta'los extra gil whenever I'm in short supply of something that he has (one missing mat, not enough of a specific shard to just give him) and I'd be happy to do the same for you, just so you're not doing it for *nothing*.

edit - by the way, if anyone reading this is interested in raising/trying crafting, I'm happy to pay it forward and help out once I start hitting 50 in certain classes.

Chubby Bunny on

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Sorce wrote: »

This is my planned mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ISgG-UQmI

I have a feeling that no matter what I make of him, he will always look good.

Who the hell is going to argue with someone that big?

I could wear a big floppy witch hat and throw fireballs. It don't matter.

I can do anything.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    THIS MAN HAS SHOWN ME THE WAY

1024x576.resizedimage

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • secretexhibitionsecretexhibition Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    @Cirira‌ Thanks! I'll definitely hit you up. I have some gil to throw around so I can pick up crafting gear to use < 50, myself. If you don't mind, I'd love to use you for HQ leve turn-ins for whatever classes you feel like helping out on. I've been throwing Ta'los extra gil whenever I'm in short supply of something that he has (one missing mat, not enough of a specific shard to just give him) and I'd be happy to do the same for you, just so you're not doing it for *nothing*.

I'd be happy to craft you Leve stuff, as well, if you plan ahead a little bit (give me a couple days notice for a pack of things you want, as my playing times are kinda inconsistent). I don't keep a ton of mats on hand, though, outside of shards. Have all crafts at 50 and all of them can do 1* easily (only LTW can do 2*, haven't bothered going further yet).

Aldrage Valeriant/Amarante Valeriant in game if needed.

secretexhibition on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

1024x576.resizedimage

He won third place in our fashion show last night. Wooly Bear is a champ.

488W936.png
    edited September 2014
    I want to join tonberry as my alt server but its always full. It's very frustrating. I woke up at 3:40 am to try and get in.

Ping difference is 298 for Sarg and 216 for Tonberry.

So yeah!

Kind of worth it!

It's the main english speaking JP server.

Morninglord on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man, now I kinda want to be a pugilist.

I want to join tonberry as my alt server but its always full. It's very frustrating. I woke up at 3:40 am to try and get in.

So yeah!

Kind of worth it!

Do you really notice a difference in 0.082s latency?

I'd be happy to craft you Leve stuff, as well, if you plan ahead a little bit (give me a couple days notice for a pack of things you want, as my playing times are kinda inconsistent). I don't keep a ton of mats on hand, though, outside of shards. Have all crafts at 50 and all of them can do 1* easily (only LTW can do 2*, haven't bothered going further yet).

Aldrage Valeriant/Amarante Valeriant in game if needed.

@secretexhibition‌ thank you, I will definitely hit you up too. If it's easier, I can just mail you the mats and the request. That way, whenever you pop on you can just check your mail. It's worked well for me so far; as long as I don't let my leve allowances hit 100, I'm set. If I have a couple crafters working with me in parallel, it should never be a problem. I also actually enjoy coordinating with multiple people; I feel like I'm running an Eorzean delivery service and constantly putting out orders for goods that NPCs need :) It's fun!

Mailing me what you want/need would work better for me also Chubby. I have erratic playtime and it may take me a few days to make the items. I do usually have a small stockpile of stuff since I'm still leveling some of my crafts.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Okay, so I have a few crafting related questions:

- Is there anything wrong with leveling every class from 15-50 by HQ leve turn-ins? I was thinking about stopping at ~48 and just crafting everything in my log once to make sure I know what's what. Good idea? Bad idea?
    - Should I go back and do my GSM (/every other class) quests? Are the level 50 quest items worth it? And/or is there a specific set(s) of gear I should get all my crafters at 50?
    - Is there a crafting linkshell / crafter community I can join? Maybe take up an apprenticeship with someone to learn the lingo and how to craft 1+ star things?
    - My current plan for crafting is level GSM/BSM/ARM, then get MIN up. Then: FSH, ALC, and CUL. Finally: BOT, WVR, CRP, LTW. Is that fine? Or do I really need some of the 37+ skills if I want to be effective with GSM/BSM/ARM right away? I have all crafters to 15.

edit - I know we have a bunch of amazing crafters in-game, but I figured I could get some of the basics out of the way instead of just pounding one person with a million questions :)

edit 2 - sorry for editing while some people are trying to answer; just figured I'd clean it up a bit instead of having a small wall of text

1: Leve turn ins are the fastest way to level crafters but you only get so many. I wouldn't bother with doing everything on your log for exp the lower level stuff won't give much and you can go from 48 to 50 in like 5 or 6 leves.

2: It is free exp and the level 50 gives you the third best main hand. At 50 each crafter class has its own set of armor. Just keep in mind around 25 or 30 you will have to turn in HQ stuff

3: Read http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ff14-advanced-crafting-guide-by-caimie-tsukino.39/ most people tend to just say do skills X Y Z. That guide just tells you what each skill does. why you want them, and lets you figure out how to craft.

4: The only 37 skill that is a must have is Steady Hands II from CUL. 50 skills in terms of importance is CRP, CRP, seriously get CRP first, WVR, ALC, GSM, BSM, ARM, and just do CUL when you want to make your own food. Being able to make your own gear is nice but you can get someone from the FC to do that and if you want to do the harder crafts to make gil you are going to be kicking yourself for not getting the good cross class skills first and they make leveling other crafters a lot easier.

steam_sig.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

1024x576.resizedimage

He won third place in our fashion show last night. Wooly Bear is a champ.

dat twerking routine tho

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Geth is all about twerkin'

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    A name like that says "I don't have anger management issues. I just prefer to solve all my problems with violence."

There's a male Roe on the server named Aye Punchstuff. Needless to say, he's a MNK main from what I've seen.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Also do the new ixal dailies since they give good chunks of xp and it scales somewhat to your level. And the crafting gloves you get at max rep are BiS

Technically, they're not (they miss the +2 CP that properly melded class hands have), but that difference is only important in the very end of crafting, when you are looking for every last scrap of CP.

So, I hit MNK 50 last night, bringing me to 2 non-50 classes left (DRG, BRD.) Managed to get my kittyfists almost done, but the Titan run was...painful. So I have that to do tonight.

Oh, and for the GHOSTs attending FanFest, I'm thinking that we should put together a company battle team for the Battle Challenge.

So yeah!

Kind of worth it!

Compare it from zero, not to each other.

So yeah!

Kind of worth it!

Compare it from zero, not to each other.

Your baseline isn't zero, it's the lag you currently experience. Practically no one has zero latency.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's less than a 10th of a second difference. The whole game runs on a 3 second universal refresh.

The main thing I'd be worried about is maneuvering out of red damage areas against bosses. The less latency the better in that case. Wish I could provide a more scientific analysis.

So, I hit MNK 50 last night, bringing me to 2 non-50 classes left (DRG, BRD.) Managed to get my kittyfists almost done, but the Titan run was...painful. So I have that to do tonight.

Ooo, grats. I'm 44k XP away from MNK 50 (which would be my first).

I'm assuming I should get my AF body quest done, and the storyline done. Then the dye and glamour quests... And then, I dunno what's next.

As far as cross-class skills, what should I have as a MNK?

This discussion has been closed.