As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics January 2007 Solicits (Preview)

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Blue Beetle

what

I think Munch is freaking out

I came a little when I saw that, but then felt dirty and used after I realized Chaykin had drawn it. .

I really, really do not like Chaykins art. Everything about it seems off. It makes me wonder why he keeps getting to draw things for like everybody.

Bloods End on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Blue Beetle

what

I came a little when I saw that, but then felt dirty and used after I realized Chaykin had drawn it. .

I really, really do not like Chaykins art. Everything about it seems off. It makes me wonder why he keeps getting to draw things for like everybody.

there are a lot of artists i feel this way about

michael turner comes to mind

Garlic Bread on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Blue Beetle

what

It's keeping me from reading Hawkgirl. I haven't read it in three months because the art can be a distracting eyesore.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Shouldn't Diana have diplomatic immunity anyway?

She waived her diplomatic immunity with regards to the Max Lord murder at the end of the Wonder Woman run...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Here's some of the covers I liked that haven't popped up here yet. Pay close attention to the Flash and Ion ones. :) Heel Before Dom!

Y_53_Preview.jpg
    TOTU_Cv4.jpg
    SSV_TPB4_clr.jpg
    SGLEG26CV_solicit.jpg
    OUT_Cv44.jpg
    OMAC_Cv7.jpg
    KRYPTO_Cv5.jpg
    ION_Cv10_solicit.jpg
    HKG_Cv60_bw.jpg
    FLS_Cv8_R1.jpg
    Deathblow3coverPreviews.jpg
    CHECK_Cv10.jpg
    BMCON_Cv2.jpg
    BatmanStrikesCv29.jpg

Owenashi on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I didn't know bobblehead dolls even fought crime.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A reappearance of the garbage truck model?

robosagogo on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thank God Seven Soliders.

august on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Is Yorick going back home?

I can't believe she'd still be hauling dead dudes around.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

::nods::Looks like she got a lot of fan support concidering how close to the end of the series we're getting.

Owenashi on
    edited October 2006
    So.. in these threads, are we supposed to follow the link and then just post the covers we like without explanation? Because a lot of the time I just page through these threads, and no one provides the titlles of the books, and then I'm all like: I don't know what the crap that is.

august on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    I didn't know bobblehead dolls even fought crime.

they fight the talking puppets

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    So.. in these threads, are we supposed to follow the link and then just post the covers we like without explanation? Because a lot of the time I just page through these threads, and no one provides the titlles of the books, and then I'm all like: I don't know what the crap that is.

The way I see it, I (and anyone else who feels like it) posts up what they feel are the top covers for that month for speculation, agreement or derision. Plus if you're curious about one of the covers, you can follow the link to the solicits' page to see which comic it belongs to.

Owenashi on
    edited October 2006
    Okay.

august on
  • Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh man, Ron Marz, the Tangent heroes? Do we really need to see them again? 'Cause to be honest, they were mostly not very good. Not as bad as What if Stan Lee created the DC universe, but pretty bad.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If Stan Lee created the DC universe the overall quality of the costumes would increase dramatically. That's just my split second, half-assed guess though.

I really enjoy the DC universe but the costumes of more than half the heroes are down right bad. They look like slightly better versions of the costumes I used to make as a kid out of kleenex boxes/cardboard, beach towels and tinfoil.

Caveman Paws on
    edited October 2006
    There was actually a series of one-shots called What if Stan Lee created....
    and they were pretty terrible. The highlight was when Superman, on arriving on Earth, had to choose a human name and nearly ended up with Peter Parker.

Adaemus1sf on
    edited October 2006
    If Stan Lee created the DC universe the overall quality of the costumes would increase dramatically. That's just my split second, half-assed guess though.

I really enjoy the DC universe but the costumes of more than half the heroes are down right bad. They look like slightly better versions of the costumes I used to make as a kid out of kleenex boxes/cardboard, beach towels and tinfoil.

what the fuck are you talking about

you are retarded and you don't even know

Garlic Bread on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

What the hell?

Off the top of my head, the only bad DC costumes are Powergirl's butch phase and The Peacemaker's.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006

What the hell?

Off the top of my head, the only bad DC costumes are Powergirl's butch phase and The Peacemaker's.
    The Huntress' new slutty outfit, Guy Gardner, Aztek, Firestorm, etc.
    Although I don't agree that putting Stan Lee in charge would have made the ratio any better.

Kane Red Robe on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006

powermanironfist.jpg

spiderman20991.jpg

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006

What the hell?

Although I don't agree that putting Stan Lee in charge would have made the ratio any better.

fuck that

aztek's outfit is rad

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited October 2006

What the hell?

Stan Lee wouldn't have had anything to do with Huntress' new outfit.

And Guy's is supposed to be bad. Why don't people get this?

edit: and man, Firestorm looks exactly like something Stan Lee would design

Garlic Bread on
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

What the hell?

The hell is wrong with Guy's?

I mean, Kyle's old collar one, yes, but Guy?

The rest range from alright to downright awesome.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lightray has one of the worst costumes ever.

Both companies have terrible costumes. I mean, Firestar's mask? Seriously.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    I still say Huntress' new costume is sweet. It's less "I'm a commando with a cape and a bandit-mask" and more "I'm a superheroine".

ViolentChemistry on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

Man, I have to agree with Caveman here..if Stan Lee created everything it would be better...oh wait..he tried..

The Flash!

jist.gif

Superman! Who apparently is a movietheatre usher...

250px-TopSecret.jpg

Wonder Woman..hurr powerglove!

1563898241_01__AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And the rest of the gang! Get it? Bat-man?

untitled.jpg

Like some damn burning man costume rejects.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited October 2006
    I still say Huntress' new costume is sweet. It's less "I'm a commando with a cape and a bandit-mask" and more "I'm a superheroine".

No, it's more "hey, maybe my tits will distract them from shooting/stabbing me in my exposed stomach"

Garlic Bread on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

No, it's more "hey, maybe my tits will distract them from shooting/stabbing me in my exposed stomach"

Right.

Superhero.

Bucketman on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Stan Lee's Superman has been known to frequent many Jedi Raves.

Furu on
  • finalchowdfinalchowd Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    I could be totally wrong on this, but did Stan Lee ever even design any costumes? I always figured that would be more the artist's job. I mean, I'm sure Lee gave some input into their creation, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby are mostly responsible for all the great marvel costumes? What with them being the artists and all?

finalchowd on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

[spoiler:c0bcddca64]Because the old costume really stopped bullets in that region in No Man's Land...[/spoiler:c0bcddca64]

ViolentChemistry on
    edited October 2006
    Oh God, Stan Lee's Flash...... She's super-fast because her dad injected her with hummingbird DNA!

Adaemus1sf on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    The Flash!

jist.gif

For my part, I could definitely get behind this Flash.

[spoiler:5d7cf5560a]:winky:[/spoiler:5d7cf5560a]

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006

Shut up shut up shut up shut up you don't know what you're saying

Spectre-x on
    edited October 2006
    But back to the point: the cover of Ion features the heroes from the Tangent comics gimick, which I remember being similar in execution (and quality) to the Stan Lee stuff. Was Tangent not that bad, and I'm just not remembering it? A lot of people seem excited about it in the wider internet. Are we already doing the nostaliga thing for mid- to late-90's stuff?

Adaemus1sf on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    I remember the Tangent comics as a mixed bag, much like the Amalgam comics or the "What if Stan Lee had Created..." books. Some good, some not so good. They showed the Tangent universe Green Lantern's lantern washed up on a beach at the end of Infinite Crisis so they obviously have some sort of plan for the characters.

More info on Tangent from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent_Comics

DMAC on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    The Tangent books pretty much sucked a dick save for Green Lantern.

Terrorbyte on
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

[spoiler:15b2888add]Because the old costume really stopped bullets in that region in No Man's Land...[/spoiler:15b2888add]

What?

When did she get shot in No Man's Land?

Garlic Bread on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:

[spoiler:d7d9d8de3f]Because the old costume really stopped bullets in that region in No Man's Land...[/spoiler:d7d9d8de3f]

What?

When did she get shot in No Man's Land?

By the Joker. Like 9 times. On Christmas.

Bloods End on