As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Yeah, for those mechs I was just trying to find out what the colors would look like on the mechs and after a wash. In fact, I should probably rewash the two green ones with black instead of green wash and see it that brings them to the more greenish grey that I'd like to see.

And as far as those Lance Packs go, they don't seem to include the two premium mechs. I take it those are just in the boxed set? If so that's a real shame.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Each Lance Pack has two from the Intro Box and two that aren't (except a couple that only have one new 'Mech). They're all "Ready To Play" meaning they aren't on-sprue like the Mad Cat and Battlemaster from the new box.

That said, there's also rumblings on the BT Forums that if these do well we'll be seeing a "Clan Box Set" in 2015 with Star Packs in the future.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the two "Premium" models from the box set aren't available anywhere outside the box. For the 2014 box (Battlemaster/Mad Cat) it's fine-ish, because the comparable metal figs are just as good. But the Thor/Loki from the 2011 box set? Those sculpts are effing amazeballs incredible in the premium plastic they used, and I'd buy ten of each just to hoard them. They're seriously that amazing. And they'll never see the light of a production line again. x_x

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Given the cost of the molds for plastic models, I just don't get not making them available. What's the downside?

steam_sig.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Plastic is cheap. The molds are not. Like, gigantic, machined-metal molds designed to maintain consistent levels of detail over years of use producing thousands upon thousands of plastic product.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    Plastic is cheap. The molds are not. Like, gigantic, machined-metal molds designed to maintain consistent levels of detail over years of use producing thousands upon thousands of plastic product.

Yes, exactly. So if they have the molds then why not sell the models?

steam_sig.png

Maybe they don't have the finances to afford larger batches of models? They are trying to stock up on the new Lance Packs well before their street dates so they can maintain a constant supply. The exact circumstances are beyond my knowledge.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    How about these for some basic color schemes.

pctl0wvcqtm5.jpg

steam_sig.png

By my best guess, it's that CGL contracted out for a set batch of production, but didn't retain the (access/rights/ownership?) to the molds because it would be $Texas expensive. And CGL is hardly swimming in money I'd imagine.

Out of curiosity, I'll see if I can hunt down an answer. Maybe ask Randall Bills, hrm....

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Red M3naceRed M3nace Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    How about these for some basic color schemes.

pctl0wvcqtm5.jpg

Those schemes look good!

One thing though, and it's more a matter of personal preference so not a judgment at all: I avoid using metallics, especially straight silver/chrome paint.

To get a metallic look I start with a dark grey to black base, then with a very dry brush of silver I edge highlight and/or very sparingly dry brush silver. It gives bit of metallic glint and I feel a more realistic metallic effect than straight painting silver.

You can see an example on that Dreadnought. The smoke launchers and the assault cannon have been done that way.

Red M3nace on
    red-m3nace.png
    edited September 2014
    Woo wooo! The assembly train keeps rolling at Casa de Nips. This Star doesn't have a firm Unit association, but I'm strongly guessing it'll end up as Ghost Bears.

From left to right: premium plastic Summoner, metal Mad Dog IV, premium plastic Mad Cat, metal Battle Cobra, premium plastic Loki.

IMG_20140920_19415583_edit_1411260507303.jpg

Anyone have a good method of assembly for things like the Mad Dog IV, with the separate legs-hip-body? This one was almost a bigger pain in the ass than that Marauder II that I posted earlier. I pinned the hell out of every joint, and used epoxy for extra strength, but I'm still a little afraid of it getting damaged.

Nips on
    Game today! Was surprised to see the store owner had painted up a Xanthos and a Vulture Mk IV in "Legion of the Damned" colors. They looked pretty rad. @Nips I'll ask him how he assembled his Vulture IV, though if his Mad Cat IIE is anything to go by he pins the arms and legs.

---

Game 7 - Today's players:

Me: JagerMech II JM7-D, Marauder MAD-9S
    Chris C: 2x Viper Prime (Black Python)
    -versus-
    Chris F: Grasshopper, No-Dachi
    Dallas: Warwolf Prime, Marauder MAD-3D

The early game was, as Chris C called it, an "electronic light orchestra". Then he was surprised that I actually knew the tune to ELO's Don't Bring Me Down.

Things changed when I got challenged to a Marauder-off. I accepted despite having a hit Gyro and Engine and ran onwards towards my opponent... and then fell down. He failed to do much while I was down, however, and got big money when I managed to stand again. Eventually my own MAD would succumb to a second Gyro hit, automatically falling over and counting as Destroyed for the purposes of the game.

My JagerMech got knocked over on Turn 3 - the No-Dachi's MechWarrior, upset that he couldn't sword a prone opponent, decided to kick me instead... smashing my JM7's Right Arm right out of its socket. Things got worse the next turn when, after standing up, it not only got sword'd in the back, it took a hit to the UAC/5 ammo in the Right Torso and knocked out the XL Engine (and my paycheck with it).

Chris C's Vipers tried to cover my back and they made a valiant effort, but one got knocked off a hill by the Warwolf and got its engine shot out. The other was the last of our side's Mechs at the end of Turn 5 and, being 1v4 at that point, popped the white flag.

End results: Modest match winnings go into repairing my Marauder, JagerMech gets sold to pay for its own fixups and I also fence my Assassin ASN-23 to fill in the gaps. Next battle is Heavies again but we'll be migrating to single-'Mech matches rather than the pairs we've been doing so far (hence me selling the Jager and Assassin). I need to start thinking about what I want to take for an Assault since it'll be possible to roll them for Game 9 and very likely we roll them for Game 10 (which is apparently as far as we'll go).

Bonus pics! (Linked for size)

JagerMech final sheet. Note me crossing off the wrong Medium Pulse Laser on the top... as if it mattered at that point.
    Marauder final sheet. I think Dallas got revenge for his Kraken-XR - those "liver shot" Hit Location rolls can be brutal.
    MAD versus MAD! His -4X is playing -3D today.
    All accounted for! Got all my Intro Box 'mechs painted at last.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    HAH! Guy sent me a scan of the original BT Reinforcements cardboard stand guys! Just have to pint and cut out.

Battalion size Alpha Strike games are within reach!

All my old Axis and Allies pieces can stand in for tanks, infantry and VTOLs. May need to modify them a bit to tell the difference between wheeled, tracked and hover though.

So.... If anyone needs them. Just hit me up.

I know that this is super late but I was just reading some of the back pages of this thread and have to point out that a copy of Fortress America would probably have the perfect bits for this project.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2014
    Here it is.

I feared it would end up more brown than I liked after the wash, and I was not surprised. I'm going to paint up my Mad Cat in similar fashion but I'll start with a white base coat and wash it with grey. That should end up more white looking.
    ltbkp2oizc1t.jpg

Although painting the camo was time consuming, it really wasn't difficult. You don't need a steady hand, and you don't have to worry about "painting in the lines".

Red M3nace on
    red-m3nace.png
    edited September 2014
    Badass, as expected. What kind of washes do you use? I found some recipes for some home-made ones that I'm still playing with to get how I like, but I'm curious what you used. If there's any hint of brown on the fig, I can't see it in that picture.

Also, dat cockpit jeweling. Unf.

Nips on
    edited September 2014
    The browning is more obvious in person, it doesn't come through so much in the photo. Also, I'm my own worst critic and all that.

I use Army Painter washes. In this case Soft Tone. It's a bit more on the sepia side. Strong Tone is more dark umber, and Dark Tone is black.

If you're familiar with the previous gen of GW washes, Strong Tone = Devlan Mud and Dark Tone = Badab Black. Soft tone does not equal Gryphonne Sepia though, it's more brown (and actually sepia) than the very yellowish/orangish Gryphonne Sepia.

CIMG2518.JPG

Red M3nace on
    red-m3nace.png
    Oh, also, regarding home brew washes...

Be careful if you start adding matte medium. It has a tendency to frost if it gets applied to thickly. I'd try without matte (try gloss instead) and see how it works out first before messing with matte.

red-m3nace.png
    Red M3nace wrote: »

Be careful if you start adding matte medium. It has a tendency to frost if it gets applied to thickly. I'd try without matte (try gloss instead) and see how it works out first before messing with matte.

I'm using the first recipe I've found on this blog, as described (1 part pigment, 3-4 parts matte medium, 3-4 parts distilled water). I used black acrylic ink for pigment in my first mix, and used it as a wash over those pirate mechs I posted earlier. The sequence I did was white primer > solid orange basecoat > wash. I wasn't entirely happy with the results though, as the wash did or did not take in predictable ways across the different parts of each mech. It made the mechs look dirty in places, and didn't pool in certain creases like I imagined it would. This might be as much my own inexperience with this kind of wash, though.

I didn't witness any frosting (have a harder time with that on the Army Painter matte spray sealer I use!), but I'll keep that in mind for my future-going wash mixes. I think the straight-black wash I mixed is probably too tone-strong, and need to mix up a light-to-medium grey wash for overcoating the base colors for the looks I'm angling toward.

As with all things miniature painting, trial and error, trial and error.

What is the general opinion on the Era Reports? Also, what eras do you guys like and why?

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2014
    Nips wrote: »

I'm using the first recipe I've found on this blog, as described (1 part pigment, 3-4 parts matte medium, 3-4 parts distilled water). I used black acrylic ink for pigment in my first mix, and used it as a wash over those pirate mechs I posted earlier. The sequence I did was white primer > solid orange basecoat > wash. I wasn't entirely happy with the results though, as the wash did or did not take in predictable ways across the different parts of each mech. It made the mechs look dirty in places, and didn't pool in certain creases like I imagined it would. This might be as much my own inexperience with this kind of wash, though.

I didn't witness any frosting (have a harder time with that on the Army Painter matte spray sealer I use!), but I'll keep that in mind for my future-going wash mixes. I think the straight-black wash I mixed is probably too tone-strong, and need to mix up a light-to-medium grey wash for overcoating the base colors for the looks I'm angling toward.

As with all things miniature painting, trial and error, trial and error.

When spraying, I've found the trick is to treat matte spray as a final dulling coat only. It's not there to protect.

Spray several coats of gloss to protect your paint. Gloss coats don't frost. A final light coat or two should be all you need of matte.

Also, Testors Dullcote is the best thing I've found for a matte finish. It's very frost-resistant. I've never had it frost on me, but it only takes 3-4 coats before Krylon Matte starts to frost.

Red M3nace on
    red-m3nace.png
    Still throwing some paint around

w0m26el1yk0w.jpg

The gold on the leftmost didn't work out and I need some good accent colors for him and also the dark bronze guy on the right.

steam_sig.png
    Lookin' good!

red-m3nace.png
    I love the dark lines on the Commando. It picks out the details through that paint scheme so freaking well.

*Battletech Painting Lovefest*

I've not bought or read through any of the Era Reports sourcebooks. As to particular eras of play, I actually like pretty much any of them.

I like the old Star League era, because it has a lot of recognizable mechs with fancy tech.
    I like the Succession Wars era, because I like the simplicity of 3025-era tech.
    I like the Clan Invasion era, because it was a real kick-in-the-pants for the whole game. New tech was fun, the Clans were different and powerful, and some of the invasion-era mechs are iconic.
    I'm kinda eh on the Jihad/Wars of Reaving era. I actually have no problem with the Wars of Reaving, but the whole Jihad just feels so far beyond contrived as to be an insult. WoB-specific mechs are cool, though. So, a wash.
    I'm glad the early Republic Era more or less stomped out the Jihad garbage, and I actually like that there were more significant shifts among the major powers. Also, Tech++.
    I like the Dark Ages because although the conceit of the blackout and subsequent Fortress protocols is kinda eeeehhhhh, I like that it brings the in-universe metagame back to a local, small-scope feel. Also, having the crazy range of units from modded IndustrialMechs to Superheavies and standard tech to whoa-crazy-crazy tech (TSEMP! TSEMP TSEMP!) is fun. It's basically the Star Wars Legacy era of Battletech, where basically anything that has ever existed and then some can find a place on the battlefield.

• MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    The purple and gold ones (left two) are by far my favourite of the colour schemes. Really nice.

Crap. I knew I shouldn't have got back into Battletech. I am now drawing up lists for a complete company of Natsha Kerensky and her Black Widow merc regiment. Doh.

The most frightening thing is I already have more than half the mechs required!

OK, hopefully there won't be too many more of these because I think I'm running out of paints to throw at the wall.

jmr15suizu4i.jpg

One more scheme and then added some details to the others.

steam_sig.png
    Now, I'm digging on that Spider. The gold and white accents on the purple are sweet.

Very nice Cook. My favs are the Commando and the red one.

How did you get the dark lines/recesses? Did you work up from black? Wash? Paint them in after?

red-m3nace.png
    Very nice Cook. My favs are the Commando and the red one.

How did you get the dark lines/recesses? Did you work up from black? Wash? Paint them in after?

I painted the deeper lines before doing the surfaces then a wash to pick out the finer details like the missile rack in the Commando's chest. Then I put on the colors and applied a second wash. For the white and red mech I reapplied the white (actually light blue) as highlights.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2014
    Ok, worked out what I need for Kerensky and her Black Widow Company (from the Tales of the Black Widow) and I am missing two Stingers and a Crusader, all the Unseen variety. How rare are Unseen minis generally? Time to hit e-bay.

After that I can divide the remaining metal mechs into an opposing company, probably Kurita or Steiner or one of the better known merc units that worked for them. I wish I could just paint them all up any old way but I can't seem to escape the Historical mindset even when I am playing pew pew with stompy giant robots.

Muddypaws on
    Here is my Hunchback in the desert dazzle style:

9135im903r6s.jpg

Painting mech hands still eludes me.

Also, I think that I've discovered that my rule for Big Stompy Robot aesthetics is simply this: Bigger IS better. That is mech weapons should be large and/or conspicuous.

That pretty much explains which BT mechs I like vs. the ones I'm not a fan of and also explains why I think that the average mech from the CAV kickstarter is more attractive to me than the average mech included in the BT Starter Box.

steam_sig.png
    Nice! The Hunchie has a special place in my heart, partly because of the massive shoulder mounted weapons pod.

I really like your dessert dazzle scheme.

For the hands, I'd probably just paint them dark grey or black and leave it at that. Unfortunately because your dazzle scheme covers the entire model there's no precedent for black hands, so they'd probably look out of place.

Why not just go with what you're already doing and give the hands the dessert dazzle treatment as well?

red-m3nace.png
    So I was leafing through the TechManual last night.

Uh, did the Conventional Infantry Weapons Table win the "Most gratuitous weapons options in a tabletop game since the polearm selection in Unearthed Arcana (1E)" award?

Because Holy Fuck that's a lot of infantry weapons.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2014
    I'd do the hands the same way you do the bodies, yellow/gold with the odd knuckle/finger in a darker shade. Great work by the way, that's definitely the best of the schemes shown.

Muddypaws on
    edited September 2014
    So I was leafing through the TechManual last night.

Uh, did the Conventional Infantry Weapons Table win the "Most gratuitous weapons options in a tabletop game since the polearm selection in Unearthed Arcana (1E)" award?

Because Holy Fuck that's a lot of infantry weapons.

For a unit type that basically gets shredded by anything significantly armed, I think it's fair they get to die equipped however the damn well they please. :D

Nips on
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    I'd do the hands the same way you do the bodies, yellow/gold with the odd knuckle/finger in a darker shade. Great work by the way, that's definitely the best of the schemes shown.

Yeah, I agree. But that simple blue with a wash and a few orange highlight panel scheme is not bad in person IMO and it's tons less work.

I kind of need to find another low maintenance scheme so that I can can quickly get all those Bones mechs that I'll have done in a more or less decent fashion then I can spend more time on special units or favorite mechs.

steam_sig.png
    Muddypaws wrote: »

Yeah, I agree. But that simple blue with a wash and a few orange highlight panel scheme is not bad in person IMO and it's tons less work.

I kind of need to find another low maintenance scheme so that I can can quickly get all those Bones mechs that I'll have done in a more or less decent fashion then I can spend more time on special units or favorite mechs.

Urrrgh. The CAV kickstarter is approaching a Cost/Value tipping point in my brain. Craaaaap. I'm still not convinced that the Bones plastic is a good fit for these figs, but the Core package has tip-toed below $2 a fig......

And since their FAQ states the figs will retail for between $5 and $9 apiece, my urge to start that kick is rising. Dangit.

Actually all the CAV models were eaten by an Elder God so you don't really have a dilemma anymore Nips.

scale2_06_by_girot-d80d4q1.jpg

Here are some scale pics if that helps you make up your mind:
    mechascaleref01_by_girot-d80d4qq.jpg

mechascaleref02_by_girot-d80d4qo.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Have you ever worked with Bones? I don't find the price attractive enough to make up for the extra hassle.

They're fine to paint, it's cleaning the mold lines that I find so unbearable. If you haven't worked with them I'd recommend buying a figure and trying it out before spending a bunch of money on Bones.

red-m3nace.png
    edited September 2014
    Trying to decide if, when the new Lance Packs come out, I should paint a Centurion as the Yen-Lo-Wang.

It's a pretty famous 'Mech but would that be too obvious?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List