As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, September 22, 2014 - How Do They Work

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Monday, September 22, 2014 - How Do They Work

How Do They Work

How Do They Work

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/09/22

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    This is how I imagine explaining life before the Internet and Cellphones.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    ReplicanttenReplicantten Registered User regular
    Digicameras are much better than film ones but i would trade cellphones to good old table phones in a microsecond. That world was so much less in constant hurry and rush.

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Try to take a picture of the end screen of your favorite game, young Gabriel, and see the fear that children had of then.

• Options
    cloudmattcloudmatt Registered User regular
    Lol, be happy it has a viewfinder and flash, my first camera experience was a 410 camera that came out of a cereal box. Everyone should have to shoot film before they are ever allowed to shoot digital. Film teaches us to take our time and pick our shots.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I really like the Florida color palette. Really does feel warm / tropical / overbright.

That's a very pretty beach backdrop.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    The Fine Brothers should do this for an episode of "Kids React" Then make the kids hang out in a empty mall or drug store for an hour trying to entertain themselves while they wait for the film to be developed, if they can still find a 1 hour photo service that is.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    wearing pants at the beach

stop that

• Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Ah good, I needed the daily reminder that everyone has grown up and has families but me. I miss reading about silly shit like claw shrimp, rather than a more profane version of the Family Circus. But that's just me. I'm going to go back to my room and sob now.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Kids Say the Darndest Things!(tm)

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The Fine Brothers should do this for an episode of "Kids React" Then make the kids hang out in a empty mall or drug store for an hour trying to entertain themselves while they wait for the film to be developed, if they can still find a 1 hour photo service that is.

Most Walmarts and the like seem to have one.

Though their policies for dealing with backwards people with film cameras are positively schizophrenic. They have a policy of requiring a copyright release to make sure you're not trying to print somebody else's pictures. This sometimes makes it hard to get digital pictures printed unless you actually are printing somebody else's pictures and have the release, but it's particularly bad with film. I've got a few disposable cameras from my wedding in 2011, and my wife and I still haven't come up with a way to prove to the satisfaction of Walmart or Meijer that we actually own the copyright on the sealed film canisters in the cameras we possess.

• Options
    Lingering GrinLingering Grin Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I really like the Florida color palette. Really does feel warm / tropical / overbright.

That's a very pretty beach backdrop.

Maybe a good backdrop for a beach, but not in Florida during the late summar/fall.

It tends to look more like this:3863364839_50ce3e9372.jpg

• Options
    WynterWynter Registered User new member
    Remember back before you had kids and you'd talk to people who would talk about nothing but their kids and related anecdotes? Remember how irritating it became after a while? Yeah....

• Options
    eagleagl Registered User regular
    So, google is not my friend today. What church or ministry is Jerry an ordained minister of? Got my curiosity bone itching. I just call it my curiosity bone in public. But I still want to know.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    roflstomp wrote: »
    Ah good, I needed the daily reminder that everyone has grown up and has families but me. I miss reading about silly shit like claw shrimp, rather than a more profane version of the Family Circus. But that's just me. I'm going to go back to my room and sob now.

No, see, Penny Arcade is funny

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BrettxPWBrettxPW Registered User regular
    In fear of painting myself as foolish, does anyone else sometimes read Tycho's news posts and have no idea what he is talking about? What exactly happened after he let his kid drink some Coke?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wynter wrote: »
    Remember back before you had kids and you'd talk to people who would talk about nothing but their kids and related anecdotes? Remember how irritating it became after a while? Yeah....

I don't have any kids. I think lil' Gabe comics are awesome.

I think my favorite example of the genre is "Teef"

1117264179_8zKKA-L.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hey, the tooth definitely didn't Hoot. Like an owl, under that interpretation.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    BrettxPW wrote: »
    In fear of painting myself as foolish, does anyone else sometimes read Tycho's news posts and have no idea what he is talking about? What exactly happened after he let his kid drink some Coke?

I think he was saying: later, when he told his kid that he couldn't have another Coke, the child was upset at the "arbitrary" nature of that decision (why could I drink Coke at 2am, but not now).

That's the best I could do with that paragraph, yeah.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my grandparents still refuse to use anything but these cameras

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

I think he was saying: later, when he told his kid that he couldn't have another Coke, the child was upset at the "arbitrary" nature of that decision (why could I drink Coke at 2am, but not now).

It's rare that I can't tease out what he's saying. Sometimes it's fun, like a puzzle, but this paragraph I just had to let go.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

It's rare that I can't tease out what he's saying. Sometimes it's fun, like a puzzle, but this paragraph I just had to let go.

That paragraph was impossible to parse, especially confusing is whether or not there's a typo in the Iron Maiden sentence, and if he means Iron Maiden the band, or the infamous torture implement.

Also...apparently Gabe has a Jackson Pollock in his living room.

• Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

Thank goodness; I thought it was just me. I had absolutely no idea what anything in that paragraph was about.

• Options
    eagleagl Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Having young kids myself, I think he meant that after giving his kids the soda he immediately became hyper, developed a full-grown addiction to sugary caffeinated drinks, began talking about how "the man" (Dad in this case) is keeping him down (like all teens do), compressing nearly a decade of teen angst into just a few hours as the caffeine worked its way through his 8-yr old system. At least that's how I read it.

If you listen to iron maiden in reverse, the devil takes over your soul. That's a pretty hardcore '80s reference that you damn kids won't get. -or- maybe he's saying that living with his kid is like an inverse iron maiden, where the only one NOT being tortured is the kid inside the device. Now that's an image.

Also, Jerry just got back from a trip so maybe he's a bit off his medications, or maybe this particular wedding has him wound up more than he wants to admit...

eagl on
  • Options
    BlopsterBlopster Registered User new member
    So are the only things PA comics covering now free-to-play garbage, MOBAs, and Gabe's son?

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

I hear ya. I'll be 40 in March and in the past few months I've started to truly believe that it's "too late" for some things. Oh sure, a guy can have kids much past the age of 40, but let's forget about the physical capability for a moment. All you people who had kids in your 20s...think back to that first year or two. Now, if you had to choose between going through that again in your early 20s, or doing it in your early 40s, which would you pick?

Yeah, I thought so. ;)

EDIT: I feel I should add that I'm just talking from the physically exhausting aspect of child-rearing. I'm sure some would say, "I know so much more now that I'm older. I was clueless in my 20s, so I'd probably be an even more awesome parent now!" That's probably true, but I was mostly thinking about the whole getting up multiple times in the night deal and things like that.

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    I was never all-in or all-out on the idea of kids... but now that my friends have some and other friends will eventually have some as well, I'm starting to think the best way to go is to have 10% of a parent's influence on the kids from a dozen different families. In theory you've had more of an overall impact than the rest, and even if that's not right, you get to pick and choose the best parts of interactions with kids and leave all the diaper-changing bullshit to the ones who are mad enough to actually take on that role.

"Ok Suzie, when your brother tries to take your doll again, this is how you jab him in the nose."
    "SPIFFY WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING MY DAUGHTER"
    (whisper) "Practice when Mom's not around, ok?"

• Options
    PuddingpiePuddingpie Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Come think of it, "reverse Iron Maiden" is the perfect way to describe teen psychology. In the sense of a defensive metal shell that covers the body, entirely covered in outward-facing spikes.

Not sure what to make of the "infinitive form" thing, except that the various forms of the word "allow" MUST be the worst words of the English language to a teenager after hearing them hundreds of times throughout hundreds of recurring arguments.
    • "allows"
    • "allowed"
    • "allowing"
    • "be allowed
    • "are allowed"
    • "have allowed"
    • "to allow"
    • "will allow"
    • "will be allowed"
    • "should allow"
    • "would allow"
    • "could allow"
    • "might allow"
    • "if allowed"
    • "have been allowed-"

Jesus, I'm getting annoyed just typing these all out, and I'm an adult.

Puddingpie on
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    eagl wrote: »
    So, google is not my friend today. What church or ministry is Jerry an ordained minister of? Got my curiosity bone itching. I just call it my curiosity bone in public. But I still want to know.
    Well, I don't know through what body Jerry has been ordained, but I know there are several places online that you can get ordained without having to have a religious degree or anything like that, then file paperwork with the state and you can legally do weddings. Had a friend as a joke get ordained through the Universal Life Church online, it's free. I don't know if he ever filed the paperwork with the state though.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Cats can be ordained.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »

I hear ya. I'll be 40 in March and in the past few months I've started to truly believe that it's "too late" for some things. Oh sure, a guy can have kids much past the age of 40, but let's forget about the physical capability for a moment. All you people who had kids in your 20s...think back to that first year or two. Now, if you had to choose between going through that again in your early 20s, or doing it in your early 40s, which would you pick?

Yeah, I thought so. ;)

EDIT: I feel I should add that I'm just talking from the physically exhausting aspect of child-rearing. I'm sure some would say, "I know so much more now that I'm older. I was clueless in my 20s, so I'd probably be an even more awesome parent now!" That's probably true, but I was mostly thinking about the whole getting up multiple times in the night deal and things like that.

As I've mentioned a couple of times on the forum (a lot! Because we're excited), my wife and I are a adopting an 18month old at the moment. We're 33 and 30 (I'm the older of the two) and we are very much on the younger side of the spectrum for people adopting. Everyone else on our courses and at the meetings, all the other adopters, have been a considerable amount older. You're certainly not too old at 40.

Heck, take the foster carers who are looking after the child we're adopting, they must be mid-60s and they constantly care for young children. We debated IVF before this and at some of those meetings, again, there were people mid to late 40s and older. People are leaving it later to have kids nowadays, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

On topic: This comic is funny.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Blopster wrote: »
    So are the only things PA comics covering now free-to-play garbage, MOBAs, and Gabe's son?

Well there's all the other stuff.

You should try those comics too! Maybe you'll like them!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    MarcinMN wrote: »

Yeah, I thought so. ;)

As I've mentioned a couple of times on the forum (a lot! Because we're excited), my wife and I are a adopting an 18month old at the moment. We're 33 and 30 (I'm the older of the two) and we are very much on the younger side of the spectrum for people adopting. Everyone else on our courses and at the meetings, all the other adopters, have been a considerable amount older. You're certainly not too old at 40.

Heck, take the foster carers who are looking after the child we're adopting, they must be mid-60s and they constantly care for young children. We debated IVF before this and at some of those meetings, again, there were people mid to late 40s and older. People are leaving it later to have kids nowadays, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

On topic: This comic is funny.

My grandparents are pushing 75 and they're still doing foster care.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm sorry you all found out the terrible secret of Penny Arcade: they make comics about stuff they're interested in.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I'm sorry you all found out the terrible secret of Penny Arcade: they make comics about stuff they're interested in.

I have no problem with the parenthood comics. Lord knows I spend enough time around friends with kids to get the humor in them.

But that doesn't mean I can't relate to what some of my fellow "old, single people" are saying too.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Great, now this is going to be all over the twitters, followed by an accusation that Robert Khoo might be in collusion with Mike and Jerry, having been seen with them during PAX.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I had a Kodak disc camera back in the day. Thought it was pretty cool and eventually got an Olympus IS-100.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Since Jerry's an athiest, I'm guessing he just joined one of those online "get ordained to officiate a wedding" type ministries.

Officiating a wedding in Washington State is apparently easier than some since you don't have to officially register as a minister:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Become-an-Ordained-Minister-Online
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I had a Kodak disc camera back in the day. Thought it was pretty cool and eventually got an Olympus IS-100.
    You mean like a floppy disk camera?

Last year I went through some floppies my mom had of film pictures that were developed and then put on disk. Remember when they would do that? It was 4-5 floppies, and it all ended up fitting in one email attachment I sent back to her.

My first digital camera was an Olympus that used the thin SmartMedia cards for storage, and was something like 0.3 megapixel.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »
    Since Jerry's an athiest, I'm guessing he just joined one of those online "get ordained to officiate a wedding" type ministries.

Officiating a wedding in Washington State is apparently easier than some since you don't have to officially register as a minister:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Become-an-Ordained-Minister-Online
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    You mean like a floppy disk camera?

Last year I went through some floppies my mom had of film pictures that were developed and then put on disk. Remember when they would do that? It was 4-5 floppies, and it all ended up fitting in one email attachment I sent back to her.

My first digital camera was an Olympus that used the thin SmartMedia cards for storage, and was something like 0.3 megapixel.

It was a pinwheel of negatives:
    disc-pac-002.jpg

Did the floppies have terrible software that you had to use, or was that just when they started doing CDs?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Nijhazer wrote: »

Thank goodness; I thought it was just me. I had absolutely no idea what anything in that paragraph was about.
    Jerry is like the polar opposite of Jack Lynch.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    wearing pants at the beach

stop that
    I could understand if it was Tycho, but why is Gabe wearing pants at the beach? Seems out of character.