As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in [Maine]- Portland specifically update

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife and I are road tripping around Maine to relax. I've got some itinerary stuff down already focused around Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, and Camden, but I have some pretty loose, unplanned time as well. It's a week long trip with a rental car, so I'm looking for neat stuff. Right now I'm forming a loose itinerary with plans to just cruise through little towns and admire. Any suggestions for critical, and perhaps less obvious, things we should add would be appreciated.

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Skip Bar Harbor, tourist hell, and overrated in my mind. Portland is where it's at: truly amazing restaurant/food scene at a decent price. Also, it's off-season, so it's not going to be terribly crowded. Love Portland, hope to live there one day...don't miss it!

EDIT: I've lived in Maine for 6 years. UGH and I'm weirdly homesick now even though it is not my home.

k-maps on
  • Options
    Is there anything to DO in Bangor, or is that just kick-off spot?

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I liked York Harbor. It you want to shop, there is Kittery outlets. If you are anywhere near Kittery, go to Bob's Clam Hut.

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    AVOID BANGOR AT ALL COSTS. IT'S THE HELLMOUTH WHERE ALL LIVING THINGS GO TO DIE. srsly, its a meth/bath salts infested shithole. You can drive by to TP Stephen King's house, but that's about it.

• Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    Not a whole lot going on in Bangor other than Hollywood Slots... and that's not really worthwhile IMO.

While you go through Camden, stop by and see the Belted Galloway cows at Aldermere. http://www.aldermere.org/
    Also in Camden, the "Camden Merchant's Showcase", interesting place that used to be a movie theater... then a five and dime... and now it's basically an antique type place. I always visit whenever I go home, haven't bough too many things but I love to look and the staff doesn't glare daggers at you even if it's obvious you're just window shopping.

If you're looking for some physical activity there are a lot of trails to hike around Camden. Bald Rock Trail is a really good one, Maiden's Cliff is too.

Two towns over, downtown Belfast is also a very nice, quaint place to go. There's a walking bridge across the harbor that's really enjoyable at sunset, a couple of interesting bars, and a cool movie theater.

Rockland breakwater.

Round Top Ice Cream in Damariscotta. Yum. Might be a seasonal one though, can't remember.

Red's Eats in Wiscasset should be doable this time of year, I think once it cools down the lines aren't as long. Although I'm assuming they haven't closed down yet for the season.

Lots of things to do in Portland as it's been said!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Yeah - there really isn't a ton up in Bangor that I can think of - but a drive by of Steven King's house is pretty neat if you're into his stuff. Camden is nice, and the Rockland breakwater is a good walk (although a fair bit nippy this time of year). It's also fair season, so you could always hit one of those depending on when you're coming up. Portland's Old Port is really nice - tons of good places to eat, neat shops, etc. There are a few nice parks in the area and lighthouses to visit there too - Ft Williams and Portland Head Light come to mind.

If you do end up in Rockland, there is a little hot dog stand:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g40840-d516279-Reviews-Wasses_Hot_Dogs-Rockland_Maine.html
    It is one of my favorite places ever - I don't remember how seasonal they are, but they are so good.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Portland itself is a fun town and worth a day's exploring in the shopping district and around the waterfront if you like poking about fun stores.

Pemaquid Point is an amazing lighthouse and national park that is great for an afternoon picnic. A ferry to Mohegan Island (an artist's colony) sails from nearby.

There is a restaurant in Hallowell called Slates, it is amazing (seriously the best food in the state and that is saying something). Their brunch is great on sundays but you have to get there earily as a line usually forms. My folks live up there and hit it every sunday (its one of our highlights of the trip when we visit each year).

If you have a chance hit, up a lake on a rental boat. Part of the fun of Maine is being out on the beautiful lakes, especially in Fall.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Two words: L.L. Bean. Flagship stores in Freeport.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    That's five words?

• Options
    Does each L count as a separate word?

Pretty solidly settled on an itinerary now. Still a couple days of putzing about the countryside with no clear goal, but I figure we'll find things. Thanks all!

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    do yourself a favor and go apple picking. yes that sounds stupid, but it's a lot of fun. Wallingford's orchard in Auburn is my favorite, probably more because they have THE best donuts in the world. Portland and Freeport are close enough together that it's easy to hit both, though both have a ton of stuff to do.

sorry if your trip is already done or w/e but i just saw this post and had to suggest the little known gem

• Options
    Alright, so what's good in Portland? Poor weather offshore means no whale watching, so with what do I fill my day?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    EAT. Lots of great restaurants.
    I recommend:
    Miiyake - both the sushi place and the noodle bar are great
    Local 188
    Front Room/Corner Room etc.
    Petit Jacqueline

Also a decent art scene in Portland, so check out some of the Portland Art school galleries etc.

Also lots of fun drinking spots in town, just saying.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What I loved doing when I went to Portland was renting a bike and just riding around town. I'll need to look at my pictures to remember the names of the places we visited but we went to a bunch of cool bars and this awesome ice cream shop.

Portland is really bike friendly and Google Navigation works amazingly well when set for bikes. Just make sure you have a portable battery so your phone doesn't die on you.

Multnomah Falls is like 2 hours from Portland and worth visiting. Great hike with amazing views.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    What I loved doing when I went to Portland was renting a bike and just riding around town. I'll need to look at my pictures to remember the names of the places we visited but we went to a bunch of cool bars and this awesome ice cream shop.

Portland is really bike friendly and Google Navigation works amazingly well when set for bikes. Just make sure you have a portable battery so your phone doesn't die on you.

Multnomah Falls is like 2 hours from Portland and worth visiting. Great hike with amazing views.

Wrong Portland.

• Options
    Portland, Maine is not a particularly interesting town. No more than any other east coast town like it. Kinda bummed I didn't just stay around Acadia an extra day.