As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gotham] Gotham's brain is a bag full of cats

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Gotham. Fox's new series on the town before Batman became the flying rodent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI

Get your popcorn. This is going to be rough, folks. The pilot starts tonight.

Harry Dresden on

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Wow. The acting in that trailer reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYBqhOEdRQ

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I liked Ben McKenzie in Southland enough that I'll give it a shot, but my hopes are not terrifically high.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    At least it looks like a Gotham should look like so far. But it's already falling into the trap of linking previously unlinked backstories.

Ok when
    Engima starts on his riddler rhythm and Jim Gordon shuts him up with an answer right away
    that's probably the best part of the show so far. But it's still awkward to say " let's get every possible villain in the pilot ".

useless4 on
  • Options
    This show must be Christmas for The Soup. This week they'll be pulling their hair deciding which oddball scene to make fun of.

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Oh dear. I was hoping this would be good. I'm a big fan of Sean Pertwee.

• Options
    Is it bad bad or just pilot bad? I can't tell honestly. IT reminds me of a 90s show.

• Options
    Shiny shoes, mother of god

• Options
    Oh right around 43 minutes there is so many things wrong about who is on stage, who is waiting tables at the same time and the dad from Grounded for Life.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    Is it bad bad or just pilot bad? I can't tell honestly. IT reminds me of a 90s show.

bad bad.

bad bad bad.

• Options
    I want it to work so bad though... like it has decent sets and decent actors (not decent acting) ... I really really want this to work.
    But yea, it's pretty bad. I really wish they hadn't shown every villain in the first episode.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I hate Alfred

I hate him so much

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I think I'll watch the next episode, but I'm not sure if it's because I hope it gets better, or if it's a morbid curiosity to see how much of a train wreck it becomes.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    that was one hell of a sandwich btie

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yea i thinking he was the best part of the show until that - that scene made almost zero sense.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm having trouble formulating a proper response to the pilot.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    As someone who only turned it on at the very end so as not to miss sleepy hollow, that sandwich thing was really weird and dumb

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That was dire. The tone felt all over the place. There were scenes that were gritty but they were few and far between and the average scene was like an unintentional comedy. This was the guy who made The Mentalist? I didn't see anything remotely good from that show here. The writing was awful, the dialogue was painful, characterization was thin, the pilot was too in love with foreshadowing to become its own entity and everyone knew each other when it'd be more interesting if they didn't at first. The actors are talented, unfortunately they're wasting their time on this show and they know it. The majority were phoning it in for a pay check, except for the actor who was Falcone. He was great.

Characters did what the plot dictated, not the other way around.
    When Bullock bitched to Gordon about not wanting the Wayne case rather than giving it to Montoya when she asked he didn't because - he reasons.
    What was up with Montonya knowing Barbara?
    If that is foreshadowing a sexual relationship between them in the past they'll get my thumbs up. But the show is too safe to play that.
    Barbara barely has any characterization other than being hot and owning an art store.

I can see a good show under this shit. It's painful to see them fuck that up.

There's a few characters that are intriguing like Bullock, Falcone, Fish, Penguin and Selina. The rest fade into the background. Gordon's too every man, a cypher with no unique hook and an incompetent. He's meant to be a former soldier yet he gets punked by everyone like he never working the beat before.
    All he does is end up getting outwitted and almost get murdered by people, despite living in this town for his entire life and his father was a big shot DA.
    He's too passive and stupid to take seriously.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    As someone who only turned it on at the very end so as not to miss sleepy hollow, that sandwich thing was really weird and dumb

it summed up everything i needed to know about the show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I want it to work so bad though... like it has decent sets and decent actors (not decent acting) ... I really really want this to work.
    But yea, it's pretty bad. I really wish they hadn't shown every villain in the first episode.

I was going to respond with "At least they didn't have
    the Joker
    show up in the pilot!"... but now that I reflect on what I've seen,
    the comedian was wearing a purple pinstripe suit, wasn't he?

Still, there is a way I think they could still go with that villain that would be really, really awesome, but I don't know if they're up to it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The scene with the comedian made no sense.
    He knew Penguin and Fish were discussing crime business and stood there the whole time - for what? He should have either left immediately once he knew the criminals were talking business or got killed for being a witness for seeing a crime in progress when they started killing each other. Instead they ignored him completely.
    I don't even...

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    oh that's him for sure.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    That was dire. The tone felt all over the place. There were scenes that were gritty but they were few and far between and the average scene was like an unintentional comedy. This was the guy who made The Mentalist? I didn't see anything remotely good from that show here. The writing was awful, the dialogue was painful, characterization was thin, the pilot was too in love with foreshadowing to become its own entity and everyone knew each other when it'd be more interesting if they didn't at first. The actors are talented, unfortunately they're wasting their time on this show and they know it. The majority were phoning it in for a pay check, except for the actor who was Falcone. He was great.

Characters did what the plot dictated, not the other way around.
    When Bullock bitched to Gordon about not wanting the Wayne case rather than giving it to Montoya when she asked he didn't because - he reasons.
    What was up with Montonya knowing Barbara?
    If that is foreshadowing a sexual relationship between them in the past they'll get my thumbs up. But the show is too safe to play that.
    Barbara barely has any characterization other than being hot and owning an art store.

I can see a good show under this shit. It's painful to see them fuck that up.

There's a few characters that are intriguing like Bullock, Falcone, Fish, Penguin and Selina. The rest fade into the background. Gordon's too every man, a cypher with no unique hook and an incompetent. He's meant to be a former soldier yet he gets punked by everyone like he never working the beat before.
    All he does is end up getting outwitted and almost get murdered by people, despite living in this town for his entire life and his father was a big shot DA.
    He's too passive and stupid to take seriously.

I can't recall his name, but the guy who did Falcone was a recurring character in Rizzoli and Isles where he also played a mob boss, and was great in that as well.

I really, really hope that this is a case of horrible pilot going horribly wrong, the creators trying to cram everything idea and plot hook that they can in order to sell the show to the execs, and now with some breathing space it can actually do something with the credentials it has.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So ihow does it stack up to Birds of Prey and the unaired Wonder Woman pilot?

• Options
    I mean, AoS pilot wasn't that good. It was Shakespear to this.

• Options
    So ihow does it stack up to Birds of Prey and the unaired Wonder Woman pilot?

Better then Birds, haven't seen the Wonder Woman pilot. WB/DC continues the tradition of having Batman spin-off tv shows that are terrible.

• Options
    I am pretty sure it's going uphill from here. I think this was a pilot crammed just to sell. It's not going to be brilliant at least anytime soon but I think we should give it at least next episode before we write it off as horrible.

• Options
    I am pretty sure it's going uphill from here. I think this was a pilot crammed just to sell. It's not going to be brilliant at least anytime soon but I think we should give it at least next episode before we write it off as horrible.

Pilots being horrible are the norm. Now we'll see how good they are without the pilot excuse.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    montoya is pretty waifu tier

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Pilots usually suffer because they have too much exposition in attempting to establish the world to new viewers. This was the opposite. Constant winks and nods where they assume you already know the material.

The problem with the premise is that the audience it's meant for already has a general idea of how everything will turn out, so we're going to have to wait X number of years to watch things slowly head in that direction. Might have worked better as a miniseries.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    wait is the implication meant to be that montoya banged gordons waifu??

hmm yes

gud suits 2

renee-montoya.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    To mitigate one concern, but producing another, and this is sort of vaguely spoilery but not specifically spoilery:
    Supposedly there's a potential Joker in every episode of the first season.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    To mitigate one concern, but producing another, and this is sort of vaguely spoilery but not specifically spoilery:

Hahahaha

God that's stupid.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Hahahaha

God that's stupid.

It would be a cool concept if it didn't reinforce the idea of "waiting for things that are probably never going to happen."

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Literally none of these characters should be active, a full 10-12 years before Batman is the thing.

The mob, sure, but come the hell on.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Like I said in the other DC thread, this show would have been more interesting if they had gone a "post-Batman" route" rather than a "pre-Batman" route.

Right now, it looks like they're going to constantly tease the audience with, "Hey look, Poison Ivy! Aren't you curious on whether or not she'll actually do anything on the show?"

I would have liked it more if they had just said, "Yeah, all those things with Poison Ivy happened three decades ago. Here's the next chapter in the story."

Birds of Prey tried that, but it was ruined because they tried to make it a "Monster of the Week" show, rather than a crime noir show. Which only works if you're an animated series like Batman Begins.

• Options
    Birds of Prey tried that, but it was ruined because they tried to make it a "Monster of the Week" show, rather than a crime noir show. Which only works if you're an animated series like Batman Begins.

Birds of Prey didn't have a chance, it was made by people without talent. Except Dina Meyer - she was perfectly cast.

• Options
    "Hey, do you like Poison Ivy?"

"Poison Ivy? That's awesome! She has the sexy green costume and red hair and she can hypnotize men with her pollen and create plant monsters. Is she going to be in this?"

"Sure, but in the pilot, she's a little girl who loses her dad and now she's sad."

"I... don't care about that. At all. I was more interested in the plant monsters and the sexy green costume."

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I feel like even if they set it a little closer to batman era it would be better, you just know nothing interesting is ever going to happen. They should've set it maybe 5 years or so before batman

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm. . . not sure I'll be sticking with this. A guy shoots at a cop, and they're worried that they killed "an innocent man"? Seriously?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    I'm. . . not sure I'll be sticking with this. A guy shoots at a cop, and they're worried that they killed "an innocent man"? Seriously?

Technically he was innocent of the crime they thought he did.