As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi KisaragiRegistered User regular
edited December 2014 in MMO Extravaganza
kMYZ9Ty.jpg
September 2010, Final Fantasy XIV launches as one of the worst MMORPGs in recent history.

August 2013, Final Fantasy XIV relaunches as "A Realm Reborn" and largely in part to the efforts of Naoki Yoshida (Yoshi P) it becomes a whirlwind success.
Just a taste of what has passed and is soon to come:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MI_iEOm4Jw

14 Day Free Trial: http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/us/
Benchmark: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

The game is available for PC (Steam and Non-Steam) PS3, and PS4!(And yes all players can play with eachother regardless of platform!)
The game has now been out for a full year, and in that time Square Enix has made good on it's promises. It has delivered a rich, vibrant world, with interesting stories and characters, challenges to be conquered, crafts to be created, baubles to be collected, and generally a large variety of activities from the most casual of players to the most hardcore.

JP20130813_1.jpgJP20130813_2.jpg

Every 3 months there is a new content patch which adds new dungeons, advances the main storyline, epic fights, side quests, humorous stories, and fun activities for all to enjoy. In between these massive patches (and they are quite huge) are quality of life updates, and smaller content patches to keep players constantly coming back for more.

Since the game came out in 2013, we have had a total of 4 major content patches (the fourth to be due next month in October)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdQPL1tS36E

On top of all that Square Enix is in the process of launching the game in China, and has recently signed a deal to bring the game to South Korea.

If that isn't enough they've also been hard at work on a brand new expansion to debut sometime next year, with promises of content equal in size to the launch of the game.
http://youtu.be/68CNzwinqlg

Races:
TiO3QkM.png
(Warning lots of lore within, just not your Race selection doesn't matter like it did in FFXI, there are minor stat differences and at worst you are looking at a 6 point difference in any particular stat, but when you are dealing with stats in the 500's it doesn't matter much. So just pick what you think is cool, besides you can always change later with a Phial of Fantasia purchased for real money)

All the races from FFXI are back with new names and the addition of a couple new genders! All info is from the official FFXIV: ARR website.

Hyur: Naming Conventions
bw4YPnO.png
Over the course of some one thousand years and three great migratory waves, the Hyur have come to be the most populous of the civilized races in Eorzea. Compared to the others, theirs is an average physique, both in terms of height and build. The Hyur champion personal freedom and liberty, and their espousal of an eclectic variety of languages and traditions is a legacy of their diverse heritage?as is their resulting lack of a unified cultural identity.

The Hyur are divided into the Midlanders and the Highlanders.
Miqo'te: Naming Conventions
Irvdaqh.png
Though their presence in Eorzea is lesser than that of the other races, the Miqo'te are easily distinguished by their large, projecting ears and restless, feline tails. The ancestors of this line first made their way to the realm during the Age of Endless Frost in the Fifth Umbral Era, traversing frozen seas in pursuit of the wildlife upon which they subsisted. Instinctual territoriality causes many among them to lead solitary lifestyles. Males in particular are said to shy from contact with others.

They are divided into the Seekers of the Sun, and the Keepers of the Moon.
Elezen: Naming Conventions
r6NSyXE.png
The Elezen are a characteristically tall people, long of limb and slender of build. They are also possessed of a somewhat extended lifespan in comparison to the Hyur. The Elezen once claimed sole dominion over Eorzea, their presence predating that of the other races, and, as such, developed a heightened sense of honor and pride. In years past, the Hyur migration into Elezen lands sparked bitter conflict. At present, however, the mutual understanding reached between the two races allows them to work towards mutual peace and prosperity.

The Elezen are divided into the Wildwood, and the Duskwight.
Roegadyn: Naming Conventions
RA4zB3L.png
The Roegadyn are easily identified by their massive, muscular frames. They are descended from a maritime people that roamed the northern seas, though many of their ancestors turned their longships south to brave the crossing into Eorzean waters. Often considered a barbaric race, the fiercely competitive Roegadyn are also known for their compassion and unswerving loyalty. Many of the greatest warriors in history were born of Roegadyn stock.

The Roegadyn are divided into the Sea Wolves, and the Hellsguard.
Lalafell: Naming conventions
C65FkC7.png
The Lalafell are a folk both rotund and diminutive. Small by any race's standards and possessed of a childlike countenance, it proves difficult for non-Lalafell to gauge an individual's age with any degree of accuracy. Originally an agricultural people inhabiting the fertile islands of the south seas, they found their way to Eorzea via the burgeoning trade routes. Lalafell are welcoming of outsiders, and share prosperous relations with all of the other races of Eorzea.

The Lalafell are divided into the Plainsfolk and the Dunesfolk.

Classes: (Letter in parenthesis designates the city in which each Class has it's guild. Cities are Gridania (G), Limsa Lominsa (L), and Ul'dah (U)

*Note: Only the Disciples of War/Magic are available as a starting class (except Rogue). The Disciples of Hand/Land can be switched to once you unlock the ability to change class around lvl 10.

Jobs
The Jobs and their Class requirements:
  • Bard = 30 Archer / 15 Pugilist
  • Summoner = 30 Arcanist / 15 Thaumaturge
  • Scholar = 30 Arcanist / 15 Conjurer
  • Dragoon = 30 Lancer / 15 Marauder
  • Black Mage = 30 Thaumaturge / 15 Archer
  • White Mage = 30 Conjurer / 15 Arcanist
  • Monk = 30 Pugilist / 15 Lancer
  • Warrior = 30 Marauder / 15 Gladiator
  • Paladin = 30 Gladiator / 15 Conjurer
  • Ninja = 30 Rogue / 15 Pugilist
  • Dark Knight = No Base Class
  • Astrologian = No Base Class
  • Machinist = No Base Class

Nitty Gritty on the Class/Job system:
In FFXIV: ARR your character is able to access any and all classes and jobs that exist within the game. Unlike most other MMOs where you choose a single class at the start and are stuck with that Class throughout the game, FFXIV: ARR allows you to change your Class at will once you unlock the ability to do so by taking your starting Class to level 10 and completing the appropriate quest.

Each Class in FFXIV: ARR is leveled separately and retains any and all XP you gain on that Class when you switch. This means if you start as a Marauder and take it to level 15 and switch to Conjurer, your Marauder Class remains level 15 and you are now a level 1 Conjurer. If you play your Conjurer for awhile get to level 4 or so and decide to switch back to Marauder you are now a lvl 15 Marauder again and your Conjurer remains at level 4.

To switch your class (after completing the unlock quest) you simply seek out the desired Class Guild and speak to the Guild Receptionist who will give you a quest to speak to the Guildmaster. Upon speaking to the Guildmaster you will receive a weapon/tool appropriate to the desired Class and by equipping that weapon/toll you will transform into that Class.

The nice thing about having the ability to change your Class is that you are able to unlock abilities on each Class that you can then carry over to other Classes. Want a Lancer that can Cure? How about an Archer with Second Wind? Maybe a nice Parry buff on your Gladiator? All of this is possible by leveling up the appropriate Class that has the ability you want and then switch to the Class you want to use it on and set the ability you want from the Skills menu.

Jobs are a bit different as they are extensions of certain Classes. Once you reach the requisite level of the appropriate Classes (usually around lvl 30) you can unlock the Job associated with that Class or Classes. A Job is a more specialized version of the Class or Classes that it is associated with. A Conjurer for example can become a White Mage, and a Pugilist can become a Monk. Each Job has it's own requirements that must be met before you can unlock it.

New Info: The Expansion in 2015 will change this however as the 3 new classes to not have a Base Class. We don't know entirely what this entails just yet but it seems that Square Enix is breaking away from the initial system they put into place.

NNID: delphinidaes
Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
delphinidaes.png
Delphinidaes on

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    PA Community Info

Server:
    Sargatanas (Legacy) NA (Aether datacenter)
    Current Server Status: www.arrstatus.com

All PS3/PS4 and PC players play on the exact same servers with each other. There are Japanese servers (located in Japan) and Western Servers (located in Montreal)

Free Company (Guild)
    Official Penny Arcade Forum FC:
    Ghost in the Linkshell <GHOST> (gitl.enjin.com)

You can be invited to the FC via the following methods:
    • Send a /tell message to the following people:
      -Sionnach Rua
      -Delphi Kisaragi
      -Alethia Tamarie
      -Rie Himawari
      -Aiskoena Trachynkrepf
    • "Examine" any <GHOST> member and click on the FC Name "Ghost in the Linkshell" then submit an application with "PA" in it somewhere.

Voice Chat
    Mumble info:
    Server: central2.voice.enjin.com:60348
    Password: (Ask in Free Company for now)

Useful Info

2.3 Patch notes
    Where do I go to start _________________ in 2.3?
    X9MrGxQ.png
    2.4 Patch Notes
    Where do I go to start _________________ in 2.4?
    1ULk52y.png
    I've just come back to the game, What have I missed?
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/28vn5j/what_did_i_miss_patch_notes_universal_summary
    I just hit lvl 50 in patch 2.3. What do I do?!
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2a8mmn/so_you_just_hit_level_50_in_patch_23/
    I just hit lvl 50 Crafting in patch 2.3. What do I do?
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2abxyz/so_you_just_hit_level_50_in_patch_23_crafting/
    2.3 Endgame Progression chart (warning, it's huge)
    http://i.imgur.com/OVDvNpp.png
    2.4 Endgame Gear progression
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31240491/#Comment_31240491
    How to Set Up Good Targeting Filters
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1knlxo/demystifying_targeting_and_filters_a_keyboard_and/
    Ishtaar's super helpful beginner's guide to Crafting in FFXIV!
    Eee it depends on what you want to do in the end. If you want to be a master crafter (2/3 star stuff), you do sortof need everything at 50, here's what a basic 3 star crafting rotation looks like. That's what I was going for, and because I'm a batshit crazy completionist I just leveled all of them simultaneously, 5 levels at a time.

So if you're a normal person, you probably don't want to do that. ;) So here's what you want to do:

Get Culinary, Alchemy, Weaver, Carpenter, and Leatherworking to 15. (Really just get everything to 15, it's relatively quick if you just make one of everything in your crafting log and do the quests, a couple levels late if you need to) But those 5 at least.

So once you've leveled everything to 15, here's where things get fun: Your very basic low level HQ strategy! I say strategy rather than rotation since it's more important to know why you're mashing buttons rather than memorizing an order.

Start out with Inner Quiet. Inner Quiet is a stacking buff that increases your control (the HQ stat) every time you successfully increase an items quality. Once you get this stacked like 3, 4, 8 times, your "touch" abilities will increase the quality more and more and more.

So we need to increase quality, but we're throttled by CP. Here's when Culinary comes in. Hasty Touch costs nothing, but it's only a 50% success rate. Steady Hand (and later Steady Hand II fro 37 CUL) increases the success rate by 20% (and 30%) so it'll still fail, but not as often. You'll use Steady Hand I or II and Hasty Touch to stack Inner Quiet and get your quality up, this is actually still true in 3 star crafting and where the RNG comes from. Also, the item's current condition affects the amount of the quality bar is increased per touch, if excellent ALWAYS use a touch skill if it wont break your craft. Also, try to use Basic Touch on Excellents if your CP allows it, since the success rate is higher.

OK so now we have to worry about durability. Master's Mend I & II are just a flat increase and what you'll use most of the time, but (advanced stuff!) Waste Not (15 CRP) and Manipulation (15 GSM) can add some different strategies, for 40 dura stuff especially. We'll get to using those for quality increases another time, it's rough to have the CP at low level. Waste Not will be important below...

You'll notice you're burning through CP rather quickly and that's where our 15 ALC skill, Tricks of the Trade, comes into play. Using a "touch" skill when the synth quality is good makes the quality increase more, but having an extra swing with 7 stacks of Inner Quiet is even better. Pretty much every "good" quality, use a Tricks of the Trade to get CP back.

Ultimately, you'll want CRP 50 for Byregot's Blessing which gives you a boatload of quality and is how we HQ 2/3 star stuff, but that's a long term goal. For now, we'll use the 15 CRP skill Rumination, which kills your Inner Quiet stack but gives you a pile of CP back. Once your quality is at 100% or as high as you can get it, use Rumination so you have some CP back to either Master's Mend or Waste Not. (depending on your current durability and how much your Synthesis swings do)

And last, the reason we leveled WVR, Careful Synthesis. There's noting more infuriating than getting to 100% quality and then having that last progress swing fail and having your item smash. Careful Synth is 100%.

Quick summary:
    Start with Inner Quiet
    Tricks of the Trade whenever the condition is good
    Use Steady Hand/Hasty Touch to increase quality and stack Inner Quiet
    Master's Mend to restore Durability
    Once you've increased quality as much as you can, Rumination to restore CP, Master's Mend/Waste Not, Careful Synth to finish off progress.

From there, the most important skills to get are Steady Hand II (37 CUL) and Careful Synth II (50 WVR), which just kind of improve the above strategy. Then later, go for Byregot's Blessing (50 CRP) which changes all of this entirely!
    Advanced Crafting guide!
    What level do I unlock ___________?
    http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content
    Accuracy Caps for Binding Coil of Bahamut Turns 1-9
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    When I confuse /tell for /whisper, its been too long. Sorry @Morninglord‌!

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Level 50 Monk get!

I figure it'll be a while before I get gear better than my AF, so who can I purchase grade 1 leatherworking glamour prisms from? I need 4.

(I'm assuming the grade you require is based on the level of the item you want it to look like, and not the level of the item it actually is- is this correct?)

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Riokenn wrote: »
    The fashion show put me in the cosplay mood. So I spent two hours putting together a Sailor Mercury outfit...
    For my male Lala
    eaX5VZo.png
    "Agent of Cure and Esuna, the pretty sailor suited soldier Sailor Mercury!
    gSEU3hP.png
    Douse yourself in Fluid Aura, and repent!

That reminds me, I need to post a picture of the Cammy outfit that I probably should've used almost used in the show yesterday.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    1024x576.resizedimage

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • secretexhibitionsecretexhibition Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I love the initial levelling process in this game (story quests, supplemented with dungeons). It's been quite a bit of fun levelling up with my GF starting in Limsa this time. Sometimes I wish there were more quest lines available for alt jobs/classes. Levelling via dungeons can be a lot of fun, but sometimes I just feel like questing in the world and Leves/Fates don't really do it for me. Pretty minor though, really, considering I used to hate questing in other games. xD
    @secretexhibition‌ thank you, I will definitely hit you up too. If it's easier, I can just mail you the mats and the request. That way, whenever you pop on you can just check your mail. It's worked well for me so far; as long as I don't let my leve allowances hit 100, I'm set. If I have a couple crafters working with me in parallel, it should never be a problem. I also actually enjoy coordinating with multiple people; I feel like I'm running an Eorzean delivery service and constantly putting out orders for goods that NPCs need :) It's fun!

Haha. Yeah, that sounds great.

secretexhibition on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Got a nice photo of Nozomi (Monk), me (Paladin), and Myuze (Dragoon) with our Nexus weapons.

jpk2trnywh3x.jpg

• Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Got a nice photo of Nozomi (Monk), me (Paladin), and Myuze (Dragoon) with our Nexus weapons.
    jpk2trnywh3x.jpg

And here I am, sitting at 1/9 books...

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    If it makes you feel any better I haven't even farmed a single Atma for my spear yet Chubby.

• Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Eee it depends on what you want to do in the end. If you want to be a master crafter (2/3 star stuff), you do sortof need everything at 50, here's what a basic 3 star crafting rotation looks like. That's what I was going for, and because I'm a batshit crazy completionist I just leveled all of them simultaneously, 5 levels at a time.

So if you're a normal person, you probably don't want to do that. ;) So here's what you want to do:

Get Culinary, Alchemy, Weaver, Carpenter, and Leatherworking to 15. (Really just get everything to 15, it's relatively quick if you just make one of everything in your crafting log and do the quests, a couple levels late if you need to) But those 5 at least.

So once you've leveled everything to 15, here's where things get fun: Your very basic low level HQ strategy! I say strategy rather than rotation since it's more important to know why you're mashing buttons rather than memorizing an order.

Start out with Inner Quiet. Inner Quiet is a stacking buff that increases your control (the HQ stat) every time you successfully increase an items quality. Once you get this stacked like 3, 4, 8 times, your "touch" abilities will increase the quality more and more and more.

So we need to increase quality, but we're throttled by CP. Here's when Culinary comes in. Hasty Touch costs nothing, but it's only a 50% success rate. Steady Hand (and later Steady Hand II fro 37 CUL) increases the success rate by 20% (and 30%) so it'll still fail, but not as often. You'll use Steady Hand I or II and Hasty Touch to stack Inner Quiet and get your quality up, this is actually still true in 3 star crafting and where the RNG comes from. Also, the item's current condition affects the amount of the quality bar is increased per touch, if excellent ALWAYS use a touch skill if it wont break your craft. Also, try to use Basic Touch on Excellents if your CP allows it, since the success rate is higher.

OK so now we have to worry about durability. Master's Mend I & II are just a flat increase and what you'll use most of the time, but (advanced stuff!) Waste Not (15 CRP) and Manipulation (15 GSM) can add some different strategies, for 40 dura stuff especially. We'll get to using those for quality increases another time, it's rough to have the CP at low level. Waste Not will be important below...

You'll notice you're burning through CP rather quickly and that's where our 15 ALC skill, Tricks of the Trade, comes into play. Using a "touch" skill when the synth quality is good makes the quality increase more, but having an extra swing with 7 stacks of Inner Quiet is even better. Pretty much every "good" quality, use a Tricks of the Trade to get CP back.

Ultimately, you'll want CRP 50 for Byregot's Blessing which gives you a boatload of quality and is how we HQ 2/3 star stuff, but that's a long term goal. For now, we'll use the 15 CRP skill Rumination, which kills your Inner Quiet stack but gives you a pile of CP back. Once your quality is at 100% or as high as you can get it, use Rumination so you have some CP back to either Master's Mend or Waste Not. (depending on your current durability and how much your Synthesis swings do)

And last, the reason we leveled WVR, Careful Synthesis. There's noting more infuriating than getting to 100% quality and then having that last progress swing fail and having your item smash. Careful Synth is 100%.

Quick summary:
    Start with Inner Quiet
    Once you've increased quality as much as you can, Rumination to restore CP, Master's Mend/Waste Not, Careful Synth to finish off progress.

From there, the most important skills to get are Steady Hand II (37 CUL) and Careful Synth II (50 WVR), which just kind of improve the above strategy. Then later, go for Byregot's Blessing (50 CRP) which changes all of this entirely!

@Ishtaar‌ - Thanks so much for this write-up. I haven't seen it before and it's *super* helpful as a starting point for more than banging out ingots. Can you please write Part 2, where you talk about using Waste Not and Manipulation for quality increases, etc.? :D

@Cirira , @secretexhibition‌ , I searched for you guys last night; I should be on 530-7p EST, and 930-midnight EST tonight. If you're on, it'd be great to friend you and get some tips! ^_^

So... I did 6 S-Rank hunts last night. Is that pretty typical and I just never noticed? Or did all the stars align to get me 300 allied seals and a bloody mark log?

Chubby Bunny on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Quick summary:
    Start with Inner Quiet

@Ishtaar‌ - Thanks so much for this write-up. I haven't seen it before and it's *super* helpful as a starting point for more than banging out ingots. Can you please write Part 2, where you talk about using Waste Not and Manipulation for quality increases, etc.? :D

@Cirira , @secretexhibition‌ , I searched for you guys last night; I should be on 530-7p EST, and 930-midnight EST tonight. If you're on, it'd be great to friend you and get some tips! ^_^

So... I did 6 S-Rank hunts last night. Is that pretty typical and I just never noticed? Or did all the stars align to get me 300 allied seals and a bloody mark log?

When it rains, it pours.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    ... yeap, I can 100% HQ 1 star 40 durabilities with NQ mats... Still need to finish melding my accessories then I'll be able to start working on getting my artisan tools. I've also finished collecting enough logs for my Forager's hatchet which means both BTN and MIN are 2 star gathering capable, cleared Ifrit EX, hit level 40 on the DRG and made a new set of gear for it and made a bunch of Mega-Ethers for the BLM to chug whenever she feels like letting rip another Flare.

It has been a good day

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I'll work on updating the crafting thing, that was hastily written between meetings I believe. Once I stop being distracted by this Nexus nonsense, I'm going to level crafting stuff on my Lala and try to figure out the best way to incorporate Ixal dailies into it as well.

As for S Ranks spawns, there's a bunch of known/semi-known/assumed ways to trigger them so a dedicated full party or two can run around and spawn a bunch in a row. A friend of mine is kind of the unofficial coordinator for spawns on Faerie, sending us to go gather stuff and things. (Four that are definitely triggered by gathering: Western La Noscea from Leeks with Botany, Middle La Noscea from Soil from Mining, Western Than and North Shroud are high level fishing) There are bunch of other theories, this list is a bit outdated, a few theories have been confirmed "wrong" by devs like the Core Blimey thing in NThan, but you get the general idea.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited September 2014
    Takel wrote: »
    ... yeap, I can 100% HQ 1 star 40 durabilities with NQ mats... Still need to finish melding my accessories then I'll be able to start working on getting my artisan tools. I've also finished collecting enough logs for my Forager's hatchet which means both BTN and MIN are 2 star gathering capable, cleared Ifrit EX, hit level 40 on the DRG and made a new set of gear for it and made a bunch of Mega-Ethers for the BLM to chug whenever she feels like letting rip another Flare.

It has been a good day

@Takel‌ What is 2 star gathering?
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    I'll work on updating the crafting thing, that was hastily written between meetings I believe. Once I stop being distracted by this Nexus nonsense, I'm going to level crafting stuff on my Lala and try to figure out the best way to incorporate Ixal dailies into it as well.

@Ishtaar‌ ^_^ Awesome. It's definitely a help for guys like me who are leveling classes but don't really know where to begin once they've passed the starting line.

As for S Ranks spawns, there's a bunch of known/semi-known/assumed ways to trigger them so a dedicated full party or two can run around and spawn a bunch in a row. A friend of mine is kind of the unofficial coordinator for spawns on Faerie, sending us to go gather stuff and things. (Four that are definitely triggered by gathering: Western La Noscea from Leeks with Botany, Middle La Noscea from Soil from Mining, Western Than and North Shroud are high level fishing) There are bunch of other theories, this list is a bit outdated, a few theories have been confirmed "wrong" by devs like the Core Blimey thing in NThan, but you get the general idea.

So what's the "average" (loose guess) spawn rate for an S rank? Once every 2-3 hours?

edit - are there "fast" ways to bang out the relic books (Atma -> Animus), or is it really just as big of a grind as it looks like? 900 monsters, 27 dungeons, 27 leves, 27 FATEs... just kill me now.

Chubby Bunny on

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    There is so much shit to do at 50. I've been powering through the story, and I'm up to Ramuh HM. I think I'll probably finish this Trial book (1/9) and put weapon grinding on hold. I need to unlock the rest of the roulettes (I haven't even done WP yet). I've also been trying to do stuff on the Learning Hour spreadsheet, but so far all I have to show for it is two failed Garuda EX attempts.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah taste that new thread smell it is fucking delicious.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited September 2014
    Takel wrote: »

It has been a good day

@Takel‌ What is 2 star gathering?

@Ishtaar‌ ^_^ Awesome. It's definitely a help for guys like me who are leveling classes but don't really know where to begin once they've passed the starting line.

So what's the "average" (loose guess) spawn rate for an S rank? Once every 2-3 hours?

edit - are there "fast" ways to bang out the relic books (Atma -> Animus), or is it really just as big of a grind as it looks like? 900 monsters, 27 dungeons, 27 leves, 27 FATEs... just kill me now.

S ranks spawn windows are every 2-3 days. however after a server reset/maintenance the windows will be open 24 hours after the maintenance. This is why you see big spurts of S ranks sometimes because all the windows are opening at once and people know how to spawn pretty much every S rank now.

A rank hunts however are every 4 hours and have no spawn requirements, so that's where the majority of your seals will come from, you get 20 seals and 80 myth from an A rank.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    S ranks spawn windows are every 2-3 days. however after a server reset/maintenance the windows will be open 24 hours after the maintenance. This is why you see big spurts of S ranks sometimes because all the windows are opening at once and people know how to spawn pretty much every S rank now.

A rank hunts however are every 4 hours and have no spawn requirements, so that's where the majority of your seals will come from, you get 20 seals and 80 myth from an A rank.

Do we have the same fc invite system for A-ranks? Just grab a party and go / the location gets announced in chat? I guess I've only been paying attention very recently, and only to S-ranks.

edited September 2014

Do we have the same fc invite system for A-ranks? Just grab a party and go / the location gets announced in chat? I guess I've only been paying attention very recently, and only to S-ranks.

I don't typically call A ranks in FC because it tends to clutter FC chat with how frequently they are spawning (There is usually only a 1-2 hour window where there ISN'T an A rank about ot spawn). This is the primary use for Hunting Linkshells, to communicate A rank spawns. I do however call S ranks in FC because of how infrequently they spawn, and because they are typically alive for longer so people have a decent chance of getting there in time to get some credit. A ranks typically get called, and pulled very shortly after and have very little health so by the time a party is coordinated in FC they are long dead.

What I do however for both A ranks and S ranks is I'll put up a Party Finder party just called "Hunts" and shout in the zone that it's available. This allow people in the area to jump in quickly to a party and we can all try and kill the current hunt.

I use this site to track which hunts are up, and which are coming up soon: http://ffxivhunt.com/sargatanas

That site basically is a series of timers from when the last hunt died. So when Marberry is killed, if a large enough percentage of the hunters on the site click it to report the kill it will mark it dead and start the timer for when it will spawn again. (This removes the ability for a small group of people to troll the site)

It's not perfect but it gives a rough idea of which hunts are about to spawn so people can run around those zone looking for them. Even if you aren't in a hunting linkshell you'll still see people shouting in Zone that they found the hunt and can use that information. IF you are serious about getting into hunts however I would suggest looking into joining a hunting linkshell (Try shouting in zones that have a lot of hunters, I would invite you into the one i'm in currently but it's capped out on members)

Actually it may not be a bad idea to make an FC Hunt linkshell now that I think about it. We're large enough that it may be useful.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    One and two star gathering describes the high end gathering "unspoiled" nodes that you need Truth of the Forests/Truth of the Mountains (Level 46 Botanist/Miner) to even see: Mining, Quarrying, Logging, Harvesting info here, along with the minimum required Perception to start getting HQs. They spawn every 24 hours Eorzean time (an Eorzean day is 70 minutes long) and stay active for three Eorzean hour (9 min) windows, luckily some nice folks have made tools for tracking the time/node/slots. One star isn't too hard to get and you can start grabbing clusters at 46, two star requires some overmelding of the 50 sets.

Fishing is.... similar. There are a crapload of one and two star fish, many require mooching (recasting an HQ catch), time of day, certain weather, etc. This site is a good resource, also this forum post. High end fishing is mainly used for Culinary desynth for the swimsuits and a kind of involved side game Pokemon style gotta-catch-em-all craziness. I'm only in so deep as catching the decent desynth stuff and the S Rank fish, completing the fishing log is a very long term thing.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I don't typically call A ranks in FC because it tends to clutter FC chat with how frequently they are spawning (There is usually only a 1-2 hour window where there ISN'T an A rank about ot spawn). This is the primary use for Hunting Linkshells, to communicate A rank spawns. I do however call S ranks in FC because of how infrequently they spawn, and because they are typically alive for longer so people have a decent chance of getting there in time to get some credit. A ranks typically get called, and pulled very shortly after and have very little health so by the time a party is coordinated in FC they are long dead.

What I do however for both A ranks and S ranks is I'll put up a Party Finder party just called "Hunts" and shout in the zone that it's available. This allow people in the area to jump in quickly to a party and we can all try and kill the current hunt.

I use this site to track which hunts are up, and which are coming up soon: http://ffxivhunt.com/sargatanas

That site basically is a series of timers from when the last hunt died. So when Marberry is killed, if a large enough percentage of the hunters on the site click it to report the kill it will mark it dead and start the timer for when it will spawn again. (This removes the ability for a small group of people to troll the site)

It's not perfect but it gives a rough idea of which hunts are about to spawn so people can run around those zone looking for them. Even if you aren't in a hunting linkshell you'll still see people shouting in Zone that they found the hunt and can use that information. IF you are serious about getting into hunts however I would suggest looking into joining a hunting linkshell (Try shouting in zones that have a lot of hunters, I would invite you into the one i'm in currently but it's capped out on members)

Actually it may not be a bad idea to make an FC Hunt linkshell now that I think about it. We're large enough that it may be useful.

Ohh yesyes pleaseplease.

I've been trying to get into one and no one wants me/they are all full.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Last week was my first run in a raid with a lockout (Syrcus Tower) and I misunderstood the lockout system of getting loot, as in I didn't know it would lock me out even if I greeded...(Yay! Monk gloves I don't need....:( )

Was really saddened when Dragoon stuff dropped later on and I couldn't Need on it. Only Syrcus Tower and 2nd Coil do loot lockout at the moment right? Is there a way to gain more items in a week from a raid? Or is it only one piece a week for everyone?

And whats the deal with the Unidentified Allagan Tombs, Sands of Time and Oil of Time? Those were in my loot list as well but couldn't do anything with em.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I'd join that Linkshell. I've been trying to follow the A hunts but don't typically find them before they die. Even catching the S Hunts I'm a little slow at sometimes.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Hey everyone!

Still looking for those leatherworking prisms!

Also, I'd really love to at least get my Magitek mount tonight. Would y'all mind helping me finish Rock the Castrum and The Ultimate Weapon missions? :)

Also you shouldn't mess with some lalafel:

RyKP1Oa.jpg

delphinidaes.png
    edited September 2014

There's a couple strategies to tackling books:
    FATEs are the RNG part, the second I got a book I'd port around to the zones to look and see if the FATEs were up. If they were, awesome, if you need help completing it in time /shout in the zone or ask in FC, Linkshells, friends and see if someone can come help bang it out quick. (I play primarily during prime time so I never really ran into an issue finding help when there was like 5 min left on a fate) If they aren't up, no worries, queue a dungeon and work on leves/kills. Rinse and repeat on checking for fates between dungeon queues/mob kills. If you konw someone else working on books buddy up with them for the mob kills, even if you don't have the same mobs they're in the same area, the kills were the annoying part for me as a healer. (If only I could have just massacred them all on my Bard, QQ) This strat worked out super well for me, there was only one book where I ended up having to wait on a fate spawn to complete, and since then they've added in a system that increases the spawn rate of rarer fates so it's not as much of a concern.

The other thing that used to throttle book progression is pretty much a non-issue now because of hunts: Mythology. Just hop on the A-train every couple hours and you'll be drowning in Mythos.

Ishtaar on

FATEs are the RNG part, the second I got a book I'd port around to the zones to look and see if the FATEs were up. If they were, awesome, if you need help completing it in time /shout in the zone or ask in FC, Linkshells, friends and see if someone can come help bang it out quick. (I play primarily during prime time so I never really ran into an issue finding help when there was like 5 min left on a fate) If they aren't up, no worries, queue a dungeon and work on leves/kills. Rinse and repeat on checking for fates between dungeon queues/mob kills. If you konw someone else working on books buddy up with them for the mob kills, even if you don't have the same mobs they're in the same area, the kills were the annoying part for me as a healer. (If only I could have just massacred them all on my Bard, QQ) This strat worked out super well for me, there was only one book where I ended up having to wait on a fate spawn to complete, and since then they've added in a system that increases the spawn rate of rarer fates so it's not as much of a concern.

The other thing that used to throttle book progression is pretty much a non-issue now because of hunts: Mythology. Just hop on the A-train every couple hours and you'll be drowning in Mythos.

Ok, good to know about the FATEs. The monsters aren't annoying to me as a BLM; I honestly just set the entire zone on fire to work on my chocobo rank when I do it. I'm over-geared for where I am in the relic line anyway (sitting at i96, will probably be at i98 today) so the toughest part for me will probably be the FATEs.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Last week was my first run in a raid with a lockout (Syrcus Tower) and I misunderstood the lockout system of getting loot, as in I didn't know it would lock me out even if I greeded...(Yay! Monk gloves I don't need....:( )

Ah ha ha, oh god, you're not the only one! I just did the same thing this week as well. Looking for those DRG gloves, and the monk ones popped up. "Oh, I can't Need these? Ah, they're the MNK gloves. Oh well, might as well Greed them. Oh wait, what have I done?"

edited September 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_JUdYq6B0&amp;feature=youtu.be

Sometimes it is easy to forget that each player in the game has their own story being told. With it's highs and lows, it's struggles, and achievements.

But sometimes it's nice to recognize that and appreciate what others have experienced. It's rare in this day and age of MMOs to find a game that resonates this much with players, and it suggests a truly bright future for the game indeed.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png

Ok, good to know about the FATEs. The monsters aren't annoying to me as a BLM; I honestly just set the entire zone on fire to work on my chocobo rank when I do it. I'm over-geared for where I am in the relic line anyway (sitting at i96, will probably be at i98 today) so the toughest part for me will probably be the FATEs.

Yeah the kills as a healer are just annoying; the leash distance in this game is so short I can't just dot all the things without them resetting. /pout

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    -snip-

Sometimes it is easy to forget that each player in the game has their own story being told. With it's highs and lows, it's struggles, and achievements.

But sometimes it's nice to recognize that and appreciate what others have experienced. It's rare in this day and age of MMOs to find a game that resonates this much with players, and it suggests a truly bright future for the game indeed.

Gotta admire the fact that like the first 3 minutes are "..and we got to 50" and then the video keeps going and going. :D

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That was a great thank-you letter.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    That killed me. Reminds me of years of games like EQ and WoW and friends made and lost. Mostly happy memories either way, definitely.

Such a good video by Merewyn.

• Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    That was a really good video, it's easy to forget about the individual player in a FC this big sometimes.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, there's an item that gives sentience to machines?!

I'd have thought an item like that would be introduced to the story with a bit more fanfare.

yeah but it makes them giant dicks.

source: goldsmith quests.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Was really saddened when Dragoon stuff dropped later on and I couldn't Need on it. Only Syrcus Tower and 2nd Coil do loot lockout at the moment right? Is there a way to gain more items in a week from a raid? Or is it only one piece a week for everyone?

And whats the deal with the Unidentified Allagan Tombs, Sands of Time and Oil of Time? Those were in my loot list as well but couldn't do anything with em.

Yes, lockout is currently only on ST and 2nd Coil. And it will most likely disappear with 2.4 (just like 2.2 removed the CT1 and 1st Coil lockouts.)

UAT is for the soldiery weapon. Requires 1300 sold plus an UAT. Sands/Oil are for restoring sold gear to pristine 110 condition. Left side uses sand, right uses oil.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I'd have thought an item like that would be introduced to the story with a bit more fanfare.

To be fair, that was the prototype core.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Was playing with my black cat on Tonberry and had a little curious lallafel follow me around for a while.

I wasn't sure why until I looked around and noticed literally every other male miqote was white skin and pale hair.

Whereas when I make a black cat

1024x576.resizedimage

Fun fact. There is an absolutely gorgeous black cat at my workplace called Oscar. But some people call him Sabbath.
    So my character is called Oscar Sabbath.

Meeting that cat when I go to work makes getting up in the morning easy. I wasn't a super cat person before I started working there.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Oh, that guy.

Maggie is much cooler than him.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man, when the Sultana decides to speak, she's got something to say.

This discussion has been closed.