As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Gaming PC under preforming.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
I recently put together a $1200 Gaming pc. All of the parts match up and everything should work, but I am getting less than stellar frames on games such as archeage which I set everything to high like I should be able to and sometimes have my FPS dive down to 30 fps level(even when the PC isn't being overburdened with characters) and planetside when I am in medium to large battles (though I have set graphics conservatively).

I am worried because both of these games aren't relatively new. Archeage is 4 years old, while Planetside was made in 2012.

My PC specs are as follows:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition CPU
1x 8gb DDR3 PC 1600 Ram
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon TOXIC R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 PSU

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    well... I know that Planetside has some kind of frame monitor that will tell you if the bottleneck if your CPU or GPU, so start there

the first thing that comes to mind is a potential under volt to one of the components under load

what resolution are you running the games at?

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    1920x1080

Planetside has a yellow [CPU] next to the frames counter.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited September 2014
    updated drivers? you should be able to get max settings and get around 40-60FPS in those games at 1080p

if you're CPU bound in planet side, all I can really say is the AMD chips are just not competitive with the Core i series... the best AMD on the market falls short of an i3. So there's not much room for improvement short of over clocking

Jasconius on
    I have catalyst 14.4, which is the newest drivers for AMD cards.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    are you running stock cooling on your CPU? those get very hot and you could see performance degradation

No, I purchased and installed this cooler in this case.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    last thing I can think of is find a utility to check your voltages coming from your power supply... make sure everything is to spec

Anyone know where to get a program for this? I looked in Download.com, but lots of them don't track anything other than fans.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Well, my frames in Archeage are good, I guess all that is left is Planetside.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah some games play better with different CPUs. That said, the AMD CPU does appear to probably be the bottleneck there.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4360-vs-AMD-FX-8350

Quick look at that, it would seem that single core i3 just dominates the AMD. Most games are single core. Looks like you might get better results if you OC your, so, that might be where you look next.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me