As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Life is Feudal] Medieval themed Sandbox MMO *Alpha on Steam now*

XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in MMO Extravaganza
http://youtu.be/cMzMLo0hQ_c

Great citizens of Wangland, I present a new medieval themed MMO - http://lifeisfeudal.com/

Here is the main idea, pulled from the game info section - “Life is feudal” is an indie project of the Hardcore Sandbox MMORPG, set in a Realistic Medieval fictional world.

Right now the game is really janky, being an alpha, and a year away from the MMO part (it is currently being run as 64 player mini test realms).

That being said, I've put about 6 hrs into it already, and all ive done was move some earth around to make space for my own shack, in a player placed/designed/defended/organized village.

FIRST IMPRESSION - The devs are pushing this in the direction of Ultima Online, if it were 3D, and was based on realism with no magic or monsters (altho you can consider some people as monstrous). You can clearly see the genetics of UO in the skill cap and crafting system, which is a good thing. However, they have also pulled the no-target combat from Warband and added the terraforming and ability to shape your surroundings of all the Minecraft clones. So far the server I play on is in the stone age so-to-speak, with people trying to lash together stone tools and shacks, but I can see the future potential.

**Space reserved for proper OP, just getting the word out**

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
XOCentric on

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Hey I've been playing this a little. UO is probably my favorite game of all time (still play it on occasion 17 years later and my name is reference to the town in game=P), so it looked pretty appealing and I think it has a lot of potential but I'll give my thoughts on it so far.

First things first is it's more early access and all that entails. I'm pretty sick of early access in general, and at 40 dollars it's hard to really recommend this. As a long term investment I suppose it's good, but at the same time this is the 64 player version of what's meant to become a full fledged MMO, and as far as I could tell from looking around the MMO will likely have a separate cost. The MMO however isn't going to be out for a year or more though, and supporting this version is supposedly going to determine if the MMO even gets made or not.

As to gameplay, the only major thing I've run into so far (7 hours played, so still haven't seen much of the game) is that hit detection was super janky, which isn't really surprising because even games like chivalry or mount and blade don't have perfect melee combat, but since combat will likely play a major role it's hopefully something that gets addressed. You can swing clear through a guy and not register hits. You're supposed to hit with the blade/point of a weapon, which is fine, but there's no indication in terms of sounds or animations when you're failing to do that, only when you succeed. Combined with lag/desync it just doesn't feel good right now.

The crafting seems to be well done though. I've spent a deal of time chopping trees, fishing, digging. Things take a while to do but it's a good thing. There's plenty to make already and once you get the hang of it, interacting with the world feels decent. I was slightly disappointed with the UI and how everything is done through context menus, rather than something a bit more "tactile" like just hitting trees or the ground etc, but it works and I'd say it's even a bit relaxing as these things often go.

The skill system seems pretty cool, there's decent progression and it's somewhat reminiscent of something like UO. It seems that specializing is important, as it takes 500 of your 600 skill cap to max out a particular branch. So if you want to be a smith, you're not also going to be making houses. That encourages team play, and creates roles which is something similar games I've tried (Salem comes to mind) fail at. I like feeling that I'm contributing something in particular to my group, rather than everyone just doing everything, it's nice! Combat skills are separate from crafting, so I think anyone can be a fighter but there's some branches in there too that ought to create diversity.

The bad so far is that the servers are extremely unstable. My friend and I went through 3 because they were all crashing, before settling on one, which inevitably crashed itself. Our progress saved, but the servers seem to routinely go down and stay down for periods of time. It's a bit frustrating as it takes a while to do anything, and you want to spend a good chunk of time just to have it crash nearly every hour. My friend and I have experienced occasional freezing/crashes on our own side as well.

So basically, when things are working it's fun, but it's not stable enough to really sink your teeth into right now imo. I'd still say it's hard to recommend it at 40 dollars but that if you're willing to put up with a lot then there is fun to be had. Like all these early access things, you can always wait till it improves, the question is really whether or not to continue to support early access as a whole as it seems there's nothing but unfinished games coming out any more. But that's a different discussion.

Oh and I'd say it's more of a mashup between something like Salem and Darkfall for those more familiar with those games. It's definitely got UO roots, but in terms of actual gameplay it leans closer to those two.

Ash of Yew on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    If you ever wanted to have your own Wurm Online server, this is probably as close as you're going to get.

You can decide for yourself if that's a good or bad thing.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I was interested in this,, but I have no desire to pay 40 dollars to be an alpha tester.

I made that mistake with dayz standalone.

Oh god i just made the mistake of watchign the video, and have never been more glad that I didnt have money because I'd totally buy it now.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Oh god i just made the mistake of watchign the video, and have never been more glad that I didnt have money because I'd totally buy it now.

Hah! That is quite the change of tune from your above comment. :P

It does like look a much updated version of Wurm Online. Which can only be a good thing IMO.

I enjoyed Wurm despite the graphics, controls, ui, Dev, and just a ton of other things. Heh, I don't think there is a game out there that I have such a long list of complaints with and yet still totally enjoy like I do with Wurm.

This game looks really nice though, will have to keep an eye on it. $40 to be an Alpha Tester for an indie game is a little steep for my blood. Will be happy to pay that price (or even $50) when it gets closer to release.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    @Axen i went on a bit of an info binge after i watched the video and had my will completely and utterly broken

it seems like the game, in its current state, is very polished and has a lot to do, and not typical of the early access alpha/beta bullshit.

Yeah I did too. :D

I change my own tune from, "probably won't buy til much later" to "probably will buy after a few more updates".

From what I heard the current price is basically to help with development and that the full version will cost a bit less.

edited September 2014
    I'd recommend waiting till they get server stability sorted out because right now it's really frustrating as I mentioned to start playing then have your server drop for an hour.
    My buddy I'm playing with also has a higher end computer than I do and is having it constantly crash. It's a bit of a mystery to figure out what's wrong, but it's the only game doing it to him, so take that as you will.

Ash of Yew on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Yea right now it's a bit crashy, but there is supposedly a patch incoming shortly to rectify that.

hnngg..New video card must come so I can buy this.

I must have this.

I neeeeeds its..my preciousssess.

• XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I'd recommend waiting till they get server stability sorted out because right now it's really frustrating as I mentioned to start playing then have your server drop for an hour.

Right now it's hard for me to recommend LiF because it is, as Ash mentioned, very unstable. My friend and I were joking that this is the first game we both have had to keep our task managers open just to play.

BUT, the other side of that coin is that there are entire servers full of people playing 6-60minute sessions who are also willing to keep restarting the client; the game is good at it's core.

I bought into it just on the off chance that my $40 would help these krazy ivans get this off the ground, because I would play the shit out of this if they make it to full MMO launch.

anyone know if theres boats?

And is the world randomly generated or is it just the same map every time. i want a PA server with two islands that go to war :grin:

Not sure if there's any plans to have boats for either naval combat or fishing. I think it's way too early for them to push resources that direction. The product they have right now is playable, once they get rid of the memory leaks, or whatever it is that is causing the random crashes. They also need to unlock some of the features they already have partially, like animals for animal husbandry/ tanning etc.

From what I've gathered, we are also going to need a guild. You cannot get very far without 4-5 guys (one for every 'trade'), and the more the merrier. There is a LOT of initial setup to go from naked peasant to armored menace right now. For example, one of the main 'towns' on the server I play isn't even at weapon construction yet, and from what I can tell, have 10+ guys working constantly.

Also, the standalone 64 man server version will eventually hit a sort of stalemate where one group is living in a castle and can pretty much terrorize any other town, at least this is my impression.

The MMO will be focused on 'claims' at the personal, group, and multi-group level. Groups will be able to claim territory and go to war, demolishing each others holds and laying waste to cities.

edited September 2014
    anyone know if theres boats?

And is the world randomly generated or is it just the same map every time. i want a PA server with two islands that go to war :grin:

Map isn't generated, and while it seems somewhat large, getting on top of a mountain the reality was that it was smaller than it looked on the map. I've got people constantly moving around my camp, although to be fair it's right on the coast, and like early DayZ you spawn along the entire coast.

There is one big island and one small island, but the small one is really small and likely doesn't have all the resources you would need for a proper settlement.

I agree with XOCentric that it's likely the map will end up with a large group dominating everything. The server I'm playing has 2 major villages forming from what I can tell from global chat, and then just scattered smaller groups. The thing is, as mentioned, you really need a lot of people to even make weapons, and without weapons it's basically impossible to kill anyone (I tried =P). The nice part is that new players aren't just slaughtering each other constantly, the bad part is the first person(s) to get a sword and armor is going to wreck everyone else.

Oh, and each day seems a bit more stable on the server side. So that's nice.

Ash of Yew on
    Sounds like its time to burrow into the earth until it is time to emerge as a beautiful murderous butterfly from your rocky coccoon

(You have created a Stone Spear!)
    "Now I am become Death, destroyer of worlds."

I wouldn't worry too much about the map. Currently, yeah it does seem small, but from all I've read the Devs are making it pretty clear that the current map is merely a placeholder. Once things stabilize they plan to have a 450 sq km map.

To give an idea of what just making a sword entails, and I'm probably a bit off here but this is the general description I read, you need:
    -To make a mine/get iron, so you need a miner/smith and terraforming
    -You need leather, so you need cows, so you need some one who can tame animals and breed them (I'd assume you need to fence them in, so you need a builder)
    -You need to make furnaces, so you need a builder (different from carpenter)
    -You need to feed furnaces so you need a lumberjack
    -You need a handle so you need a carpenter
    -Not totally sure, but you might even need some bone glue in there, so you probably need an alchemist

Some of those things overlap, but for instance, you need to drop a lot of points into smithing to be able to do it, and so you're not going to be a smith and an animal breeder or carpenter. It's like a 2-4 man job to be able to even make a sword, and it's hours if not days of work to get to the point of being able to do it. I'd assume once there, it's slightly easier and you can probably start producing them, but there's no way a group of new players is going to play catch up to people who already have if they decide to just roll through and wreak havoc on them each day.

edited September 2014
    From what I gather, there are 5 main 'trades':

Blacksmith/miner
    Carpenter/lumberjack
    Mason/builder/digger
    Alchemist/naturalist
    Farmer/tailor

You need all 5 to get a village running at all, and preferably multiple dudes doing each job. I was moving earth by myself (you can build bulwarks or a ring fort or even siege ditches or moats), but it went way faster with 2 guys.

Also, you can go into a warrior trade:

Cavalry
    Halberdier (polearms)
    Footman (sword and board)
    Two-hander
    Archer/crossbowman

Anyone else getting a stiff e-peen ;)?

XOCentric on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Color me interested, but I've played enough buggy half-finished alpha games lately. Will have to keep an eye on this, but not interested until its spent a little more time in the oven.

My buddies and I might very well be on our way to becoming those first guys to actual swords on our server, got a lot done today =P
    We'll see if the speculation remains accurate.

What server do you play on? Im thinking about migrating to somewhere a little less full of raging prepubescent Sir Dongshire The Thirds.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Man, I'm logging and this is the most fucking relaxing thing ever.

Like, I don't give a shit about the rest of the game at this exact moment, I gotta keep clearcutting and replanting.

They really did crafting and resource gathering right. The time sink feels like just enough effort and labour that building your shitty starting hut is an accomplishment. I really like the little touches, like when I noticed the rock spoil I was dumping downhill was actually rolling downhill progressively, and that I could go and scoop it up later.

I know we are all in different servers, but maybe we should migrate to a single and start getting our group production and build order down. We could also look Ito plotting a good village as the building shapes and tile usage are already available on the wiki. You could easily use some graphing tool or even excel to
    plan.

Lastly, I have been in contact with a large guild with the idea of operating as a subguild when the mmo drops. But they counter-offered with us being able to elect a senator to represent us as they are structured as a senate. Is this something we want later?

The MMO is so far out that I honestly don't care about it and know nothing of what they plan. I do know a subscription would be an automatic no thank you.

As for this, just name a server and I'll totally play on it.

Docshifty wrote: »
    The MMO is so far out that I honestly don't care about it and know nothing of what they plan. I do know a subscription would be an automatic no thank you.

As for this, just name a server and I'll totally play on it.

There isn't a subscription pay option planned, check this quote pulled from a steamworks thread (the devs actively answer questions on the thread)-

((RandomGuy123:

1: I buy LiF:YO
    2: LiF:MMO client can be downloaded for free and used by ALL to play on noob island. However to get off noob island there will be a 1 time fee (no monthly MMO charge) per character, or presumably a package deal for infinite characters.
    3: Since I bought Lif:YO I can have ONE character get off the noob island free of charge? That is to say I have access to the MMO for free with ONE character?

Dev response:

Yes.

Just MMO is not up yet and will not be very soon. But once it is - it will be as you've described.))

The way the skill system works, you could theoretically use ONE character to play any combination of trade/warrior jobs over time, you just have to be willing to de-skill that mastered skill to do it.

edited September 2014
    i am totally going to try to scrounge up the cash to play this as soon as my computer is functional again.

I cant resist anymore. why did I watch the video.

how did these people discover my gaming crack.

i am weak and pathetic

Buttcleft on
    eeeeeee I got a shack up!

The sense of accomplishment when that shoddy structure finally rose was far more than I expected.

Now imagine what it would be like to get a fully functional and properly laid out walled village with a keep! At least that's what I think about when I weave a new wattle pig fence haha.

I don't know just how like UO it is, in that the closer you get to the skillcap to slower you gain skills, but if it is, you might want to hit L and lock any skills you don't want to raise (Like nature lore, once you're able to dig up roots for easy food).

why stop raising skills? is there some limit to the number of high level skills you can have that would warrant that.

why stop raising skills? is there some limit to the number of high level skills you can have that would warrant that.

servers have skillcaps. Like the server I'm on right now has a noncombat skillcap of 600, I'm at 570 with not a single one capped at 100/100 skill.

oh thats what the skillcap means. interesting.

They're also divided into trees.

Like, you need 30 Forestry to start skilling Logging, 30 Logging to skill Carpentry, 30 Carpentry to skill Bowcraft, then 30 Bowcraft to skill Warfare Engineer.
    Each tree is 500 points total. There are 6 crafting trees.

Ohhhh...I can make bows and arrows. I have enough apples for about a dozen snares, if I can get a good string of chickens in there.

Then, I will be lord of this island.

The skillcap means you cant nerf your toon in a certain class, because you can manually set unused skills to deplete, or lock skills completely. Skills go to 100 to Grand Master (or GM in old UO speak). However, raising a skill past 90 has ZERO impact on your in-game abilities and is purely for bragging rights, achievements, and the ability to say "I'm a 6x GM something-something". So it might be prudent to lock that skill unless you want the biggest e-peen on an early access (?).

Essentially, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the skill system means that you can either master a 'trade' or be a jack-of-all-trades and really useless to a team and to yourself. This game, much like old UO, will be based on the dynamic that you can't do everything yourself, and I think that's just super.

Lastly, just like UO, as you get higher in skill, it gets harder to level that skill, but unless they change the curve for release, it doesn't take that long. That and you'll be so enamored with actually chopping trees down and digging real holes that you'll probably rocket past 90 and go right to 100 by accident like I did :S.

@Docshifty : What server are you on? I will join you.

XOCentric wrote: »
    The skillcap means you cant nerf your toon in a certain class, because you can manually set unused skills to deplete, or lock skills completely. Skills go to 100 to Grand Master (or GM in old UO speak). However, raising a skill past 90 has ZERO impact on your in-game abilities and is purely for bragging rights, achievements, and the ability to say "I'm a 6x GM something-something". So it might be prudent to lock that skill unless you want the biggest e-peen on an early access (?).

Essentially, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the skill system means that you can either master a 'trade' or be a jack-of-all-trades and really useless to a team and to yourself. This game, much like old UO, will be based on the dynamic that you can't do everything yourself, and I think that's just super.

Lastly, just like UO, as you get higher in skill, it gets harder to level that skill, but unless they change the curve for release, it doesn't take that long. That and you'll be so enamored with actually chopping trees down and digging real holes that you'll probably rocket past 90 and go right to 100 by accident like I did :S.

@Docshifty : What server are you on? I will join you.

Ey its 24/7 LIF Dedicated-Chicago IL. After AoS Ill post a screen woth my map location

every post in this thread makes my desire to own this game grow threefold

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    every post in this thread makes my desire to own this game grow threefold

Yeah, could you guys just stop talking about how awesome this is?

Alright, as stated, the server is

24/7 LIF Dedicated Chicago IL. There's a "-" in there somewhere but it's the only one named like that so it should be easy enough to find.

And here is my location

7262A643F96BADD8EB66C46A1BE4B436462CBAC0

There shouldn't be anything near save for my little shack and a fence. I've got a tunnel started in the hillside if you, or anyone that has it and creates a character, really wants to dig into it.