As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Life is Feudal] Medieval themed Sandbox MMO *Alpha on Steam now*

• XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Have you prospected for iron near your shack? It's probably THE key basic resource that you need to go from zero to hero.

I don't mind rolling an excavator/builder/mason character as I'm familiar with it already. It sounds like you went the lumberjack/carpentry route?

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The small tunnel I started is shitting out Iron

EDIT: And yeah, I'm well up lumberjack

Docshifty on
    Were going to need a blacksmith, :s.

I can totally start up another dude and have him start blacksmithing

Where in the hell do nails come from, anyways?

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    My buddy is doing smithing for us, so I'm hazy on details but I believe you can make nails from any type of metal at least. Pretty sure he was doing copper for nails.

You'll need furnaces to smelt, and a forge to actually make them, I'm not really sure beyond that as to the specific process =/
    They aren't very hard to make once you get it all set up though, my buddy made us like a few hundred today with minimal effort.

I've been doing the construction/masonry etc tree, I built a tower today. It's not all that great (less of an actual tower, more of a wall section), but man I'm pretty sure I'm the only dude with a tower on my server =P
    I can also make tons of other structures now, including castle walls and even a small keep. Also, windmills! Leveling ground is such a pain though.

Also found out you can get leather from hares, which you can get with hunting/snaring. We're trying to raise them though. Some bozo claimed my chicken coop while I was at work today. I told him if I catch him around my coop again I'd chop him to bits. He apologized, I said I forgave him, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to chop him to bits if I see him =P

Any ways, I'd join you guys or invite you to join us but it's just a few friends right now and with some others potentially getting it, I just don't want to end up with a really huge group.

Guys, I think something is wrong with steam's clock because it says I have 24 hours played. That can't possibly be true, I only got the game Friday and it felt like the servers were down constantly the first few days (something that's improved every day actually, much more up time). I am embarrassed and ashamed. ***edit*** actually it may also be because I close the game and then look an hour+ later to see that steam says I'm still playing, only to open up task manager and realize that yes, even though I closed the game, the process is still running. I have been playing a ton too though =P

Here's our "village" so far, I know it doesn't look like much, and this was before the tower went up (trust me the tower doesn't look like much either =P) but man, it took a decent amount of work to even get this far.
    iXACMbw.jpg?1

Here's my mooses
    bFlOxkO.jpg?1
    They are just sleeping, I swear.
    Actually, we inadvertently found out they respawn their skin/meat on restarts. We've basically got an endless supply of food. I feel a bit cheesy about it, but two of their bodies were actually not far at all and we were harvesting them any ways. The third is one my buddy killed with a pitchfork!

Ash of Yew on
    Oh man, first successful raid. Turns out I wasn't the only one with a tower, that made the decision on whether or not to go for it easy. We knocked him out and took his stuff.
    AN6kKq6.jpg

We didn't say a word. Initially in the hopes he wouldn't remember our names, but then just to spite him really. I find it's often most frustrating when your attackers won't engage you in a little smack talk compared to when they do. =P

I'm not terribly concerned about him finding our base. His village is slightly more advanced than us, but even if he found us and killed us, it's not like we have much to lose.

Alright, I finally got a Forge and Anvil up and going, plus Forestry to 90 so I can replant the like three dozen hardwood sprouts I have in my inventory and get a proper treeline going in front of my hut.

I made an alt to take up smithing since my friend is crashing so much. I was in my mine and my 2 neighbors I hadn't met before came in. I blocked them in and asked what they were up to and they didn't respond. When they eventually did they were super rude. Ended up handing over a pitchfork from my main guy and sending one of them into the ocean, where he pathetically sat there treading water right off shore, and knocked the other out multiple times (couldn't figure out how to actually kill him).

I hope they want that to be their daily ritual, or they better move.

Sorta ruined my alt since he's got -44 alignment now. Luckily I wasn't far into skilling up, I don't think it's good to have a crafter who's going to get a ton of stat loss if he ever dies. I'll probably make him my pk or maybe remake him altogether.

Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I made an alt to take up smithing since my friend is crashing so much. I was in my mine and my 2 neighbors I hadn't met before came in. I blocked them in and asked what they were up to and they didn't respond. When they eventually did they were super rude. Ended up handing over a pitchfork from my main guy and sending one of them into the ocean, where he pathetically sat there treading water right off shore, and knocked the other out multiple times (couldn't figure out how to actually kill him).

Sorta ruined my alt since he's got -44 alignment now. Luckily I wasn't far into skilling up, I don't think it's good to have a crafter who's going to get a ton of stat loss if he ever dies. I'll probably make him my pk or maybe remake him altogether.

So, I know you have soft hp and hard hp(That is, current and max), same thing with stamina. Now, constant expenditure makes your hard stamina go down, lowering your total amount. I wonder if constant knockouts do the same to hp, where to finally kill someone you have to lower their hard HP to 0?

edited September 2014
    Docshifty wrote: »

So, I know you have soft hp and hard hp(That is, current and max), same thing with stamina. Now, constant expenditure makes your hard stamina go down, lowering your total amount. I wonder if constant knockouts do the same to hp, where to finally kill someone you have to lower their hard HP to 0?

I think that's how it's supposed to work. The thing is when I knocked him out, I'd keep hitting him but there would be no damage numbers in the system chat. It was just lowering my alignment each time, and seemingly doing no damage. He'd wake up a few seconds later, I'd hit him for damage and knock him out again. Maybe if I hit him enough while he was conscious it would have killed him, but I did hit the guy a lot. So I'm really not sure if there's something more you have to do or not. I couldn't get any options besides looting (which also lowers alignment each time).

Also, they both attacked me first, so hitting them while they were up wasn't lowering my alignment but the knock out blow always did regardless. I'd say if you can goad people into attacking you first you should though, much like UO used to be. If you form a unit (essentially a group) you won't lose alignment for hitting your friends too, so you can do that to train or in pvp since friendly fire is more than likely at some point.

Ash of Yew on

I think that's how it's supposed to work. The thing is when I knocked him out, I'd keep hitting him but there would be no damage numbers in the system chat. It was just lowering my alignment each time, and seemingly doing no damage. He'd wake up a few seconds later, I'd hit him for damage and knock him out again. Maybe if I hit him enough while he was conscious it would have killed him, but I did hit the guy a lot. So I'm really not sure if there's something more you have to do or not. I couldn't get any options besides looting (which also lowers alignment each time).

Also, they both attacked me first, so hitting them while they were up wasn't lowering my alignment but the knock out blow always did regardless.

It might be bugged out, or that each knockout is what lowers the hard hp.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Just an FYI for anyone interested in picking up this game: you can go to their website and buy it direct there (it routes through the humble bundle store people) and save $5 over what Steam has it listed for.

m!ttens on
    Hey @Docshifty‌ , I found your village and I think mittens as well. Then I immediately crashed :S. One step forwards two steps back and such.

Wanglandia shall rise!

@XOCentric, I was slightly away making a clay run when you showed up.

edited September 2014
    So Mittens is doing the blacksmith thing, I think the only thing we need at the moment is farmer/hunter? Is that a required?

Docshifty on
    edited September 2014
    My recommendation is you get a farmer going asap, you need leather/rope for weapons and a lot of things. That's pretty much my group's biggest hold up right now.

Also, being in a unit apparently doesn't prevent you from losing alignment, contrary to what I'd heard so uhh, don't wack your friends I guess =P

There's a patch tomorrow, hopefully helps some stability issues among other things: http://lifeisfeudal.com/
    Patch notes (ver. 0.1.8.0):
    -Fixed some rare client connection crashes while joining a server with exotic tunnel combinations
    -Added additional debug info for client crashes to locate them faster
    -Fixed some of the more frequent client crashes. There are still a good amount left, but we’ll get them sooner or later
    -Fixed item dupe bug. Reporter received 1 LiF:YO CD key as a token of gratitude
    -Fixed some serious server crashes
    -Skillcap setting should properly work now. You should be able to set skillcap up to 3000
    -In game text chat should properly separate chat lines when non-standard characters are used (Cyrillic for instance)
    -Fixed and added some more system chat messages to ease understanding of what the game wants from you
    -Bone glue should be now accessible as a recipe at 0 level of Procuration skill
    -Skinning of wild animals should now drop Thin and Thick hides
    -Fixed tanning tub and drying rack objects. The entire leather production chain should be working now
    -Campfires, forges and other devices that burn fuel shpuld work properly now
    -Server browser should work faster now, but there are some issues left in it
    -Buildings are now claimed for 24 real life hours instead of 12
    -Minor fixes to units and formation bonus effects
    -EULA checkbox and button were tweaked to be properly visible :)
    -There should be less or no achievements spam or false achievements triggering
    -Tracking abilities are named properly now
    -Added missing legs parts in rag clothes
    -We have created a ping response protocol, that can be useful for hosting providers to detect if game server is up or down to auto restart it. More info is in readme.txt of dedicated server

Actually kinda sounds like leatherworking wasn't actually working before, which means probably no one has had swords.

Ash of Yew on
    So the friends server list actually works. Coolio

@XOCentric if you know what you'll need for farming/hunting, post it here and I'll do what I can to make sure the materials are prepped and structures are built. Also, I'll pound out a shack, as well.

Figures, I have the morning off, and the new patch made the server go down until they patch it on their end. :S

edited September 2014
    I noticed that.

And just when I put like 700 nails in the bag, ready to construct.

85FE84C0DC0E954A715BC6A756AE469E0D285DB0

Docshifty on
    I cannot wait to finish work today and get back to this game. Curse you, @Docshifty‌! Anyway, last night I felt like blacksmithing/mining, while a useful skill, has lots of downtime in relation to Doc's carpentry/forestry. Are there enough skill points to possibly branch into something minor to do while tending the forge fires? I'd we can get copper, I was maybe thinking of booze production. Strike the Earth!

m!ttens wrote: »
    I cannot wait to finish work today and get back to this game. Curse you, @Docshifty‌! Anyway, last night I felt like blacksmithing/mining, while a useful skill, has lots of downtime in relation to Doc's carpentry/forestry. Are there enough skill points to possibly branch into something minor to do while tending the forge fires? I'd we can get copper, I was maybe thinking of booze production. Strike the Earth!

haHA I fucking told you.

Anyways, If you stop skills at 90 (And prospecting at 60 because ppphhbbtt on prospecting) you have enough to get a fair bit of points in other trees. Hunting/Farming/Nature Lore trees would be useful.

While your blacksmithing has a lot of down time, it levels so goddamn fast compared to my logging/construction bits.

Still no joy on the server...

Assuming it actually is Chicago, it's only like 8:30 there. Dude is either not awake or at work.

Just my luck.

edited September 2014
    Neither of those are acceptable reasons for us not being able to work on raising for flag for Wanglandia/ Arcadia.

I kinda like the idea of being an Arcadian.

Huh, that's a word:

""Arcadia (Greek: Ἀρκαδία) refers to a vision of pastoralism and harmony with nature. The term is derived from the Greek province of the same name which dates to antiquity; the province's mountainous topography and sparse population of pastoralists later caused the word Arcadia to develop into a poetic byword for an idyllic vision of unspoiled wilderness. Arcadia is associated with bountiful natural splendor, harmony, and is often inhabited by shepherds. The concept also figures in Renaissance mythology. Commonly thought of as being in line with Utopian ideals, Arcadia differs from that tradition in that it is more often specifically regarded as unattainable. Furthermore, it is seen as a lost, Edenic form of life, contrasting to the progressive nature of Utopian desires.

The inhabitants were often regarded as having continued to live after the manner of the Golden Age, without the pride and avarice that corrupted other regions.[1] It is also sometimes referred to in English poetry as Arcady. The inhabitants of this region bear an obvious connection to the figure of the noble savage, both being regarded as living close to nature, uncorrupted by civilization, and virtuous.""

XOCentric on
    Higher points in prospecting and mining will net previous metals though. And who doesn't want shiny things?

My other guy is on BlueFangSolutions - Philly #1.

We have a tiny hamlet to the East and slightly North of the position of yours on 24/7 Chicago.

I've been doing various things all day, the whole time thinking "I could be logging."

uuhhhhhhh

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I really like playing ArcheAge right now, but how does this stack up to it? Is the combat better than hit this button till things die?

edited September 2014
    The combat is rough as hell, but yeah it definitely isn't "Left click until peeps are dead", because the smart person is just gonna backstep your swings and sidestep your thrusts until you have no stamina, then you are about to eat sword/halberd/bardiche/axe to the face.

Also, they are very much two seperate things. The best way so far I know of to think about LiF is updated UO Minecraft.

Docshifty on
    Does anyone (and by that I mean the three other people posting here) know if there is a crafting flowchart made that shows skill gates and material requirements to make stuff?

edited September 2014
    I've been doing various things all day, the whole time thinking "I could be logging."

uuhhhhhhh

Yeah man, that's where Im at right now. There is something Zen about gathering materials in this game.

For me, it's turning uneven terrain into flat, usable space.

XOCentric on
    edited September 2014
    I really like playing ArcheAge right now, but how does this stack up to it? Is the combat better than hit this button till things die?

I was trying to get into archeage, the housing/boats stuff appealed to me, as well as the potential for some pvp. However, I found the grind, while pretty easy, to just be really boring since I've done it so many times before. Life is Feudal imo is a lot funner, and you're doing the things you want to do a lot quicker or at least working directly towards the goal. For me it's definitely closer to what I actually want out of a game, but they are completely different kinda games.
    XOCentric wrote: »

uuhhhhhhh

Yeah man, that's where Im at right now. There is something Zen about gathering materials in this game.

For me, it's turning uneven terrain into flat, usable space.

I think that's one of the biggest appeals, it's just straight up relaxing to be digging tunnels or chopping logs or whatever. That said, I need to flatten ground in a huge perimeter (I possibly am over ambitious) for my wall, and flattening ground is maybe one of my least favorite things to do =P

Oddly though, with our own server being down last night and having to work today all I wanted to do was get back to it.

Oh, and I figured out why I couldn't kill that guy I think. Unless you stab with the pitchfork it does blunt damage, and blunt damage can't kill people. I needed to stab him a bunch, but reliably stabbing has proven difficult. Need swords!

Ash of Yew on
    Stabbing with a pitchfork works. I know because some rando stabbed me in the arm for walking near his farm. If I cared to stay on this other server I'd loot his farm completely and scatter his stuff in the swamp.

edited September 2014
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Stabbing with a pitchfork works. I know because some rando stabbed me in the arm for walking near his farm. If I cared to stay on this other server I'd loot his farm completely and scatter his stuff in the swamp.

Oh it works for sure, just doing it consistently instead of swinging or overhead chopping has proven to be difficult. My friend and I were practicing before going on our raid, and we thought we had it figured out, then we get into it and suddenly it's no longer working consistently. The direction you attack is similar to mount and blade I believe, in which your mouse movement determines your swing direction, but that thrust attack is just elusive. Some times you'll thrust 5x in a row, then you wont change a thing and suddenly you're doing overhead chops.

Also, I found out flattening ground works based on the tile you are standing on. So it tries to flatten the one you target, to the same as the one you are on. It has become a lot less tedious.

One more thing, they improved the server browser but if you hit ~ and type: joinToRemoteServer("IP:PORT","")
    Including the quotes.

You can save yourself a bit of a headache. Find the ip by connecting to a server and hitting ~, it's sorta burried in all the spam but it's in there some where when you join.

Ash of Yew on
    Tch, it becomes a lot less tedious, until you start building proper walls and even though you slope squares properly, you can't build on them because they aren't technically flat so then it turns into musical mounds as you shuffle dirt around flattening squares to varying heights.

edited September 2014
    Tch, it becomes a lot less tedious, until you start building proper walls and even though you slope squares properly, you can't build on them because they aren't technically flat so then it turns into musical mounds as you shuffle dirt around flattening squares to varying heights.

Holy crap, this. Doc and I spent probably an hour trying to figure out 8 tiles, and I lost patience and now I'm going to bed. A terraforming guide would be super useful. Also the "observe" skill should just be a toggle I can turn on and off with a hotkey.

EDIT: Also, we should all gang up on a server together. I think our megaproject was a little too ambitious for just the two of us.

m!ttens on
    Yeah I'm working on flattening ground for my wall right now and I'm sure once I start building it will be all kinds of fucked.

One of my corners took forever to flatten too because it just had to have been on a hill.

I also flattened over some of our ore, because I don't give a shit. My friend told me he is going to dig up the ore and then fix the spot for me. I don't think he understands yet...

How much iron ore is required to build a bulldozer or excavator? Would make life so much simpler.