As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 9/17/14: You know we're trying to save all of you, right?

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
Avengers #35, take a look at where the Marvel Universe is 8 months from now:

Sunspot owns AIM, Cannonball and Smasher live in space with their kid:
avengers35a_zpsbbcfa765.jpg

avengers35aa_zpsc52a1f40.jpg

On Earth, SHIELD took over the Avengers:

avengers35b_zps7d35d853.jpg

avengers35c_zps3de79883.jpg

avengers35d_zps6b9dfc02.jpg

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #5 J. Jonah Jameson and Norman Osborn have a chat. Ultimate J. Jonah Jameson is the best <3.
    52996KX.jpg

kX0pPKK.jpg

wIny9kw.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

So what is wrong with the baby's face? Just looks like a comic books baby to me

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    MM: USM is sooo good.

Like Waid's Daredevil, it's so consistently good that I think people just kind of forget about it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Heatwave wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

So what is wrong with the baby's face? Just looks like a comic books baby to me
    Nothing. Bobby was just being a dick because it's his best friend's kid.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    More Than Meets the Eye #33
    SUPER SERIES SPOILERS
    Mad scientist and Autobot Brainstorm was discovered to be a Decepticon spy, thanks to a dead alternate version of him being discovered on a wrecked Lost Light by members of the crew of our Lost Light, which had disappeared. Even Megatron didn't know, that's how deep cover he was.
    Our Lost Light was restored, and the crew came back after their disappearance. Buut...
    tumblr_nc1y32FgLl1qi3rkho1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nc1y32FgLl1qi3rkho2_500.jpg
    tumblr_nc1y32FgLl1qi3rkho3_500.jpg
    tumblr_nc1y32FgLl1qi3rkho4_500.jpg
    tumblr_nc1y32FgLl1qi3rkho5_500.jpg
    tumblr_nc21clKQcH1s4owq3o1_500.jpg

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Thanks for clearing that up

My MOTW was Edge of Spider-verse #2.
    Gwen having an awesome costume, Peter becoming the Lizard and Gwen revealing her identity to her dad. That's sure to bite her in the butt later :stuck_out_tongue:

This is the first single issue I bought since in years, and one of the first comics I've bought from a comic store in months. Thank god it the issue was actually good.
    Antimatter wrote: »
    SUPER SERIES SPOILERS
    Mad scientist and Autobot Brainstorm was discovered to be a Decepticon spy, thanks to a dead alternate version of him being discovered on a wrecked Lost Light by members of the crew of our Lost Light, which had disappeared. Even Megatron didn't know, that's how deep cover he was.
    Our Lost Light was restored, and the crew came back after their disappearance. Buut...
    Argh! Why did I read those scans. This is going to make the wait for the next MTMTE trade all the more unbearable

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up

My MOTW was Edge of Spider-verse #2.
    Gwen having an awesome costume, Peter becoming the Lizard and Gwen revealing her identity to her dad. That's sure to bite her in the butt later :stuck_out_tongue:

This is the first single issue I bought since in years, and one of the first comics I've bought from a comic store in months. Thank god it the issue was actually good.
    Antimatter wrote: »
    SUPER SERIES SPOILERS
    Argh! Why did I read those scans. This is going to make the wait for the next MTMTE trade all the more unbearable

I don't read Marvel/DC superhero comics anymore.

I read Edge of Spider-verse #2, based on the awesome character/costume design on the cover.

I would read an ongoing about that Gwen Stacy.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Sounds like you would like Ms. Marvel, then!

(You should read Ms. Marvel)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Sounds like you would like Ms. Marvel, then!

(You should read Ms. Marvel)

I tried Captain Marvel.

I got 17 issues into Captain Marvel's 2012 series, and I read the first one of the 2014 relaunch. It's nice enough, but it's still part of the overall Marvel comics pile. I haven't tried the new Ms. Marvel.

My problems with Marvel/DC is that the huge shared universe of characters that effectively don't age, where New York gets devastated every other Sunday, where partial reboots occur every so often, where creator changes happen (sometimes frequently), where huge crossovers happen on a semi-regular basis, and where long term repercussions of world changing events are minimal, just doesn't work for me as well as it did a decade ago. I know a lot of people can say "Eh, sure [insert plotline] was terrible, but the stories since then have been great." And that terrible plotline doesn't negatively impact their enjoyment of newer stuff. But it affects my enjoyment of the thing. I think that to really enjoy a Marvel/DC superhero book, you either can't let the tropes of the Marvel/DC universes annoy you, or you have to actively enjoy them.

It's not for me.

It was once. And hell, it might be again at some point in the future. But for right now? I just can't find any great long term enjoyment in the Marvel/DC comic universes. I tried, for the better part of a decade. It's just not for me. So, even knowing that there are going to be some stories in those universes that I'd enjoy in of themselves, I just don't bother. I already spend quite a bit on comics, and Marvel/DC's respective shared universes have annoyed me with too much regularity for me to have any desire to give them a greater share of my budget.

Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel are great steps in the right direction to fix one critical flaw of the Marvel/DC universes, the often terrible representation of women. But ultimately, that particular perceived flaw of the shared universes isn't the one that led me away from Marvel/DC.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    well I mean Ms. Marvel hasn't had any devastation of the city, crossovers, reboots, or creator changes so far

• Options
    well I mean Ms. Marvel hasn't had any devastation of the city, crossovers, reboots, or creator changes so far

So far.

• Options
    Merlin the TunaMerlin the Tuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    My problems with Marvel/DC is that the huge shared universe of characters that effectively don't age, where New York gets devastated every other Sunday, where partial reboots occur every so often, where creator changes happen (sometimes frequently), where huge crossovers happen on a semi-regular basis, and where long term repercussions of world changing events are minimal, just doesn't work for me as well as it did a decade ago.
    I feel like I've entered some kind of nega-zone. "I care too much about continuity to read comic books." My entire world is upside down right now.

To be clear, I get where you're coming from. This is just one of those "put it in perspective" moments where the perspective feels really weird to me.

Merlin the Tuna on
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    My problems with Marvel/DC is that the huge shared universe of characters that effectively don't age, where New York gets devastated every other Sunday, where partial reboots occur every so often, where creator changes happen (sometimes frequently), where huge crossovers happen on a semi-regular basis, and where long term repercussions of world changing events are minimal, just doesn't work for me as well as it did a decade ago.
    I feel like I've entered some kind of nega-zone. "I care too much about continuity to read comic books." My entire world is upside down right now.

To be clear, I get where you're coming from. This is just one of those "put it in perspective" moments where the perspective feels really weird to me.

I love comics! I'm generally buying 10-12 books a week. I've just gotten off the Marvel/DC train for the most part.

No, the "world turned upside down" thing about my preferences is that I really can't stand anything Grant Morrison has written, outside of his first few arcs on JLA in the mid 90s. I can't stand his X-Men, I hated his Final Crisis, I think his Batman is the worst, and I thought We3 could be most charitably described as not at all for me.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    There has always been a problem between continuity and comic-book time; between different takes on a character or book by different creative teams, and even since the first company-wide crossover events, the difference between the tone of a single book and the universe-defining plot du jour.

The thing is, not everybody likes the same kind of comics. Hell, the same person doesn't like the same comics throughout their entire life. There was a time in the 90s when I had a subscription to Spider-Man and I really dug the villain-of-the-week fight on top of the ongoing Peter Parker drama. Now, I...really can't stand it. The character has changed too much from the one I knew. I don't hate Spider-Man. The Spider-Man being written and drawn right now isn't necessarily bad. But I'm at a different point in my life now, and I just can't be invested in the way Marvel and DC are going.

It's not even that it's all "there's too much continuity!" for me as much as...well, memories are short, plots are recycled, characters get sideswiped. And it does affect how people react to characters. For example, Peter Parker has been married to Mary Jane for longer in print than he was ever dating Gwen Stacey. When I first picked up a comic book, they were already together. To me, Gwen Stacey is as much a part of Peter Parker's backstory as the radioactive spider and Uncle Ben - which is to say, both have been dead since before I picked up that first issue. So to me, the erasure of Peter Parker's marriage was a gutpunch, a misstep, and one that really should be retconned away (like the rest of JMS' terrible, terrible fucking run - does that man ever not fuck up an existing series?)...and yet it's still here. And people still hold up Gwen Stacey as the love of Spider-Man's life. To me, that's mischaracterization.

...but it's just me. And it's only because I grew up reading Spider-Man where Peter Parker was married to Mary Jane. Their marriage lasted longer than my parent's marriage. I was pissed when they broke up. But that doesn't mean every character needs to be unchanging, or that every change is bad. But it does mean that, for a while at least, I need to step away from the character. I need the space. Because I don't like how it is now.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    I feel very similar re: Spider-Man's marriage. The second Spider-Man comic book I ever read was collection at the library that was the whole story about how Peter proposed to Mary Jane. (The first was a collection of the first few issues of Amazing, also from the library). To me, it just feels wrong for them not to be together anymore, in a fundamental way.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I grew up with the marriage but never liked Mary Jane much myself. The dissolution of the marriage is probably my favorite thing to happen to Spider-Man in quite some time.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of comic book marriages in general. Locks off too many potential romances.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Bah. Too far in that direction and you end up with the X-Men, where everybody has sexed/married everybody, if not in the main timeline than in some alternate timeline. There's nothing wrong with a stable relationship (or even an unstable but long-lasting one).

And it's not for everybody! Look at the Hercules series; part of the joke was that he was a slut. It's an aspect of his character.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    To be fair, JMS was always against the idea of breaking up their marriage, that was an editorial decree from Joe Q himself who has been vocal about hating their marriage for years. JMS actually had his writing credits withdrawn as a result. I'm not a fan of his run on Spidey either, but you can't blame that on him, that's 100% Joe Quesada. I did love is Supreme Power series though, as well as Silver Surfer Requiem, so I wouldn't say his time at Marvel was a total waste.

Zavian on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Actually, according to the beginning of this Atop Of The Fourth Wall review of Superman #701, JMS wanted his name taken off for another reason.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wasn't the marraige technically rushed and not at all set up? Like, from what I read, Stan Lee married them off in the newspaper spider-man comic strip and Marvel didn't want to seem left behind so they quickly reintroduced MJ (who hadn't been around in years), got her and Pete back together and then married pretty rapidly.

Dunno how much of that is accurate though.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Actually, according to the beginning of this Atop Of The Fourth Wall review of Superman #701, JMS wanted his name taken off for another reason.

yeah you're right, was reading an old Joe Q interview about it, though it was still pretty much an editorial decision:
    "Well, to be completely clear, the idea for "OMD" was actually created by a room full of people. From the very first day I was in the EIC chair, I made no secret of the fact that I felt that a married Peter Parker wasn't the best thing for an ongoing Spider-Man universe. The problem was that we never had a decent methodology to get ourselves out of it. I always said that if we ever found a way to do it, I would pursue the avenues to get us there.

Close to two years ago at one of our creative summits, the seeds of that idea began to blossom. Those ideas were then taken and a two week long e-mail chain began where we started to throw around ideas until we got the story kind of where we wanted it to be. The guys involved in all of this from the beginning were Joe, Bendis, Millar, Loeb, Tom Brevoort, Axel Alonso and myself. It then all carried over to the next summit, at which Ed Brubaker and Dan Slott also had some stuff to add. It was at one of these summits that JMS said the methodology we were using was more akin to the movie "Sliding Doors" than "Back to the Future." Rather than a single incident not happening that causes a huge domino effect across the timeline, he explained it was more like one door that wasn't taken or opened that only changed the subtlest of things." - Joe Q.

Zavian on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »

yeah you're right, was reading an old Joe Q interview about it, though it was still pretty much an editorial decision:
    "Well, to be completely clear, the idea for "OMD" was actually created by a room full of people. From the very first day I was in the EIC chair, I made no secret of the fact that I felt that a married Peter Parker wasn't the best thing for an ongoing Spider-Man universe. The problem was that we never had a decent methodology to get ourselves out of it. I always said that if we ever found a way to do it, I would pursue the avenues to get us there.

Close to two years ago at one of our creative summits, the seeds of that idea began to blossom. Those ideas were then taken and a two week long e-mail chain began where we started to throw around ideas until we got the story kind of where we wanted it to be. The guys involved in all of this from the beginning were Joe, Bendis, Millar, Loeb, Tom Brevoort, Axel Alonso and myself. It then all carried over to the next summit, at which Ed Brubaker and Dan Slott also had some stuff to add. It was at one of these summits that JMS said the methodology we were using was more akin to the movie "Sliding Doors" than "Back to the Future." Rather than a single incident not happening that causes a huge domino effect across the timeline, he explained it was more like one door that wasn't taken or opened that only changed the subtlest of things." - Joe Q.

Ugh.

Bendis gave them a perfect OUT with House of M.

I think they wanted to take MJ out of the picture and still have MJ be a "WILL THEY OR WON'T THEY" girl.

Which is goddamn nuts and stupid.

• Options

Is it weird that I think of Peter and MJ having sex with other people as adultry?

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Yes.

• Options
    Not gonna lie, that's kind of weird.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I understand being invested in characters and story, but...I've never really been able to care that much about if X bones Y or not, or if they stop, or can't, or whatever. I'm not against these ideas, just largely ambivalent about them. I understand there are some that consider it the Burning Rollercoaster of Life when X might bone Y, or at least searchingly stare into panel with the unspoken thoughts of wanting to, but...get on with it. Or don't. I don't know. It's not something that's ever managed to win me over as something to give a damn about.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    The fact so many writers struggle with doing marriages I believe says more about the writer than anything else.

Hell so few seem to be able to do relationships very well at all unless it's a source of constant drama.