As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BC Does Art! [NSFW]

Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in Artist's Corner
Hi! I'm Blameless Cleric, and... I do art! It happens!

I've been drawing all my life (I am 18, just a babby), but I've never taken any sort of class. I'm currently in my first semester of college, and thinking about getting an art degree. I'd love some constructive criticism - I'm always trying to get better :smiley:
I've got a kind of cartoony/comic-y style, which is where I like to be, and I know I have a lot of trouble with profiles and composition. I rarely do finished pieces, and almost never do backgrounds or landscapes, so I'll be trying to do more of those and posting 'em here :smile:

Here are sketchy sketches
tumblr_n5lmr7JA3O1ruojzgo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n7a1svxBld1ruojzgo1_500.jpg
tumblr_nbt7hdjyBM1ruojzgo2_500.jpg

Here are some less... sketchy sketches
tumblr_n91ugzl5yq1ruojzgo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_musex56Ngg1slwzuso2_1280.jpg

This dragon is huge:
tumblr_nbt877Rfa21ruojzgo1_500.jpg

And some stuff that's pretty much finished.
tumblr_n7jza74DZ21ruojzgo1_r1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n957a2UVG81ruojzgo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n8vwu6BoN51ruojzgo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_n69jxsLciw1ruojzgo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n5snwjS0fe1slwzuso1_r1_1280.jpg

Thanks for taking a look :smiley:

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Cool stuff! Whimsical even.

I can prob give you a few pointers that sprung to mind.

Overall I think the images are a little over-sketchy with the little lines. Be more confident that the lines you're making are the right one. And continue to push the boundaries of line width variation.

I really like the simplicity of the mermaid one, but also the flow of the lines could be a little better. Like I mean that my eyes move from the outstretched hands, down to the tail, and instead of a smooth arcing eclipse type shape, it gets angular in a few spots and keeps the form from flowing a bit. If that makes sense.

Keep at it though, your cartoons are well constructed and have a good amount of potential.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you are going to get into painting, you'll want to study light and form. If you've never really done much in the way of life drawing or still life painting, try to start mixing that into your routine.

If you are thinking about being an art major, I suggest thinking pretty critically about what you think you may want to do after school. Spend time building up your technical skills, as they will help you expand your visual knowledge and make your cartooning more robust.

• Options
    AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    Hi! I am not usually one to give advice, and there are better people on the forum for that, but I thought since I've also got a very 'cartoony' style that I would at least offer myself up if you have anything in particular you wanted to chat about! Are there any favorite artists you have?

Either way, welcome to the forums!

My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    @Ammaline‌ Hi! I love stuff by Kate Leth, Kate Beaton, Jess Fink... uh, someone who goes by "Viria" on the internet (I can't ever remember her real name), Lydia Butz... Masashi Kishimoto (though I've not read anything he's drawn in a long, long time)... I really like art by the people who do the small army of web-comics that I read, like Michelle Czajkowski and K. Lynn Smith, for example.

I guess part of my problem is that I'm really not sure what questions to ask, but if anything comes to mind, I'll totally poke you :D

• Options
    AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    Lots of comic artists! Do you want to do comics yourself? Or do you just enjoy the style?

I don't know a soul who doesn't love some Kate Beaton!

My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • Options
    mechapopmechapop webcomic artist/musician Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I honestly have been more and more drawn to the "sketchy" blogspot style of art posts lately. I think that's why I'm excited about that new and possibly final Studio Ghibli film. For years I was so focused and big into complex, insanely detailed concept art and illustrations...now I find the more quick, whimsy style conveys a lot. In a way a lot of this newer blog sketch style I see reminds me of classic Disney sketches I remember seeing in production books. The library girl and laptop in bed one are my favorite <コ:彡.。o○

Slap Zappy daily gamer/geek webcomic
    http://slapzappy.tumblr.com/
    slapzforumbanner1.png
  • Options
    Ammaline wrote: »
    Lots of comic artists! Do you want to do comics yourself? Or do you just enjoy the style?

I don't know a soul who doesn't love some Kate Beaton!

If I could do comics, that would be fantastic. I'd probably enjoy that more than just about anything else. And one would definitely have to be a soulless cyborg to dislike Kate Beaton.

• Options
    OKAY HERE IS MORE ART

Meeee:
    tumblr_ngaw6e5DVn1ruojzgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n7gdrfjkxR1ruojzgo1_500.jpg

Lavellan Inquisitor!
    nanaina_zpsdbbff7f6.jpg

tumblr_nhdw0mNLLb1ruojzgo1_500.jpg

More doodles!
    tumblr_ndo08jqeIF1ruojzgo1_500.jpg

• Options
    Your stuff is pretty cute, for sure! What programs are you using to draw? I feel like the inking could be stronger, but that can be pretty hard to accomplish digitally.

I will say, if you think you want to start making comics, just start making them. Even if they are just one page affairs, dont wait.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Iruka wrote: »
    Your stuff is pretty cute, for sure! What programs are you using to draw? I feel like the inking could be stronger, but that can be pretty hard to accomplish digitally.

I will say, if you think you want to start making comics, just start making them. Even if they are just one page affairs, dont wait.

All that stuff is from Manga Studio 5, which I juuuuuuust started working with! The stabilizer isn't as good as the one in Sai, but Sai is kind of a baby program in that you cannot do text with it and MS5 is specifically for comics so I am makin' the switch

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    If you haven't already, consider picking up frendens brushes: http://frenden.myshopify.com/#_= they are pretty nice.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    If you haven't already, consider picking up frendens brushes: http://frenden.myshopify.com/#_= they are pretty nice.

Ooh looks cool!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Post the other versions of your tree BC bc they are cool

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Post the other versions of your tree BC bc they are cool

okiedokie @Abdhyius‌

TREEEES
    tumblr_n8vx3xvhnu1slwzuso1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n8vx3xvhnu1slwzuso2_400.jpg
    tumblr_n8vx3xvhnu1slwzuso3_400.jpg
    tumblr_n8vx3xvhnu1slwzuso4_400.jpg
    tumblr_n8vx3xvhnu1slwzuso5_400.jpg
    tumblr_n8vx3xvhnu1slwzuso7_500.jpg

• Options
    OH and the tatoo-able version

tumblr_n8vzfkhsFE1slwzuso1_1280.jpg

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    @syndalis hurls a magnificent well-used sweaty undershirt with grease stains in @ChelleYeah 's general direction.

• Options
    Geth, could you not please.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    The dazzling well-used sweaty undershirt with grease stains has been transferred from @ChelleYeah to @aleph0 via the Ceremony of Deep Frying. You win some you lose some... @ChelleYeah

• Options
    The hallowed well-used sweaty undershirt with grease stains has been transferred from @aleph0 to @timspork's ghost via Summoning of Garlic Mash. You win some you lose some... @aleph0