As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking [Chat] to the [Chat]less Until Death: Judge Minty

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The saving grace of Halo tie-in fiction is that they can just steal everything from Ender's Game and then move on.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    hmm, i need to figure out how to ask for more help without getting my big project taken away. i should be all like fuck this shit but that is no longer in my makeup.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just had an idea for a Twilight Zone episode.

A man who loves to read but never has time or peace and quiet is in a bank vault when nuclear war breaks out and destroys civilisation as we know it. He stumbles from the ruins, alone in a world with all the time he could want and no other humans anywhere. He despairs and contemplates suicide, but then sees a public library and realises he can do what he's always wanted: read, for as long as he can, in total peace and quiet. He enters the library, only to find all the books that aren't Star Wars EU tie-in fiction have been vaporised.

He immediately takes off his glasses and stamps on them.

The End.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    The saving grace of Halo tie-in fiction is that they can just steal everything from Ender's Game and then move on.
    ...That's not what they do, no.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I think I read the first of the clone trooper novels Traviss wrote and it was ok.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Well, for the GoW books, the writers of GoW actually put together a binder filled with stuff about the setting just to help her with the book. She sent it back without looking at it.

It's not that she just has trouble with research, she actually has it as her policy that she'll only look up what characters did and when, nothing about their motivations or characterization. Thus, most of her books involve a whole lot of character assassination and a general misunderstanding of complex moral issues.

From what I remember of the characters in GoW the characters were a succession of bull-necked slabs of meat in power armour with one, perhaps two, personality traits. What character was there to assassinate?

Note: I have not read, and am exceedingly unlikely to read, any GoW or Halo tie-in fiction. Same goes for Star Wars.

Gears of War had a much bigger and better backstory than was conveyed through conversations with the largely generic characters, to be honest.

Gears, in the singleplayer, was more about the feeling than the script. They did a great job building these once-beautiful places and ruining them through years of war and neglect and entropy. It's a terrible world, made worse through the actions of bad people.

It's not inspiring by any stretch, but it did its job.

I will say that if Gears had anything going for it, it was absolutely the environmental art.

It had an unfortunate tendency of blending into the brown-grey blur of action, but there was some really fantastic stuff done with the architecture and the whole "beautiful decay" motif.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

There isn't much homo-eroticism in Halo though...

• Options
    edited September 2014
    ...That's not what they do, no.

When I was your age, this was an accurate summation of existing Halo tie-in fiction.

Winky on
  • Options
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I think I read the first of the clone trooper novels Traviss wrote and it was ok.
    Yeah, I've heard that one was good, the second one was worse but not really bad, and then everything after that should be avoided.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

There are some strong similarities in some of the plot points (training children to become humanities hope against an invading force), but how those plot points are handled are (in my opinion) much more horrifying in Halo canon, and there are a wealth of other stories that make the Halo cocktail that have no analog with Ender.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard that one was good, the second one was worse but not really bad, and then everything after that should be avoided.

As things go so very often.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

There isn't much homo-eroticism in Halo though...

More than you'd think.

• Options
    Envision the Halo as just a giant, gaping, space anus.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i am astonished that anybody cared enough about the mediocre plot in either halo or gears to notice that an author ruined any of it

i played gears 3 and all i can remember is some dude had a skinny waifu

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Are you saying that straight couples can't do butt stuff?

I'm disappointed. So heteronormative.

• Options

Wouldn't that be homonormative of me?

• Options

No, because you are enforcing stereotypes of behavior, and are straight.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

str8 ppl dont have butts cinders..

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

No, because you are enforcing stereotypes of behavior, and are straight.

Don't jump to conclusions.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I want an animal friend

@BEAST! is too self-aware and hairless to be a suitably devoted and completely dependent companion

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    the mediocre plot in halo
    HeresyStamp.png

cB557 on
  • Options
    edited September 2014

But Nikki has a butt, and shes str8

Cinders on
  • Options
    AND WHAT IS HAKKS POOPING OUT OF THEN

• Options
    For real cB, the Halo plot is bad.

Get into classic scifi instead.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

But Nikki has a butt, and shes str8

*taps nose*

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Y'know how worms and other creatures only have one orifice?

cB557 on
  • Options

I have a completely unprotected colon dangling out of a disorganized bundle of organs and intestines

o wait i'm mixing it up

SagaIzabelCosplay2-357x550.jpg

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    looks like a sc state trooper has been fired and arrested on assault and battery for shooting an unarmed man in a parking lot

there's also a video

good ending: guy shot looks like he's gonna be ok

• Options

I'd get into an argument about this, but arguing about video game stories is what I have SB/V for.

• Options

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Halo: The Videogame series had a subpar plot on its own.

The first Halo novel made the entirety of the first two games much more enjoyable, as you know who all these people are and why they matter. They just kind of drop you in to shoot stuff with occasional conversations in the videogame, and never address the issues of who/what Cortana is, what rampancy is, Commander Keyes... all of it.

I Love Bees also might be my favorite radio drama / audiobook ever made, and it was a fucking ad/ARG for Halo 2. Seriously, if you never play any Halo game whatsoever and never read any of the books, it still has a shitload of value and is an amazingly interesting and "human" story about what it would be like to live through the events of what was going on from the eyes of the non-military.

Then shit gets nuts.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I want an animal friend

@BEAST! is too self-aware and hairless to be a suitably devoted and completely dependent companion

I am quite hairy and rarely pee on the rug

How much does this gig pay

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    There was a story in halo??

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin
    Cinders, I've basically decided to never even look into your reading suggestions anymore.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I want an animal friend

I am quite hairy and rarely pee on the rug

How much does this gig pay

this is exactly the type of self awareness I don't want in my pet

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    lunch is tomato soup with macaroni for 10 kr because it's going out of the sortiment (that's 5/9ths of a BK cheeseburger for comparison)

the cheaper you got it for the better it tastes

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin
    Cinders, I've basically decided to never even look into your reading suggestions anymore.

What the hell?

• Options
    cB read Neuromancer.

And then read the Culture books.

And then read Borges just because.

• Options

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin

cB you are making a hueg mistake

but I don't blame you you're a teen

soak up all your mediocre, lowest common denominator stories while they still hold charm for you

you have your 20s and 30s for reading heavy shit and boosting your pretension score

• Options
    cB, I know these folks are unfairly dissing Halo (which isn't high art by any stretch, but it is a fun story/world they built).

But don't diss Le Guin. Read some Earthsea, you would probably really dig it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.