As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Taking [Chat] to the [Chat]less Until Death: Judge Minty

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I want an animal friend

@BEAST! is too self-aware and hairless to be a suitably devoted and completely dependent companion

I am quite hairy and rarely pee on the rug

How much does this gig pay

this is exactly the type of self awareness I don't want in my pet

a dog standing over a book about animal sapience, with a growing look of horror

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    For real cB, the Halo plot is bad.

Get into classic scifi instead.

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin
    Cinders, I've basically decided to never even look into your reading suggestions anymore.

What the hell?
    Remember what happened last time?

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Envision the Halo as just a giant, gaping, space anus.

Are you saying that straight couples can't do butt stuff?

I'm disappointed. So heteronormative.

str8 ppl dont have butts cinders..

That would confirm that dog's suspicions in Sad Dog Diary about his beloved human being unable to poop.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    looks like a sc state trooper has been fired and arrested on assault and battery for shooting an unarmed man in a parking lot

there's also a video

good ending: guy shot looks like he's gonna be ok

I get the feeling that without the video he'd be looking at desk duty at worst.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Halo: The Videogame series had a subpar plot on its own.

The first Halo novel made the entirety of the first two games much more enjoyable, as you know who all these people are and why they matter. They just kind of drop you in to shoot stuff with occasional conversations in the videogame, and never address the issues of who/what Cortana is, what rampancy is, Commander Keyes... all of it.

I Love Bees also might be my favorite radio drama / audiobook ever made, and it was a fucking ad/ARG for Halo 2. Seriously, if you never play any Halo game whatsoever and never read any of the books, it still has a shitload of value and is an amazingly interesting and "human" story about what it would be like to live through the events of what was going on from the eyes of the non-military.

Then shit gets nuts.

ilovebees was admittedly great

but I feel as though its brilliance is fairly detached from the Halo universe as a whole

Literally the only three Halo plot points you need are "invading alien army is trying to find Earth", "there are AIs", and "the military takes children and makes them into super soldiers"

The whole thing is actually pretty much standalone in that regard

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin
    Cinders, I've basically decided to never even look into your reading suggestions anymore.

What the hell?

James Joyce's letters to his wife is like an intro class to becoming a lvl 100 Literary Master with all the maxed out gear and skill trees

u read that

then Finnegan's Wake

then Ulysses

and you are awarded the bragging rights star of legend

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ursula Le Guin is a fantastic writer and near the top of any respectable list of great SF writers.

disclaimer I have never read a single work from Joyce except for this fond descriptions to his wife of her masturbating while pooping a fat one

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I want an animal friend

"BEAST!" is too self-aware and hairless to be a suitably devoted and completely dependent companion

I am quite hairy and rarely pee on the rug

How much does this gig pay

this is exactly the type of self awareness I don't want in my pet

a dog standing over a book about animal sapience, with a growing look of horror

maxresdefault.jpg

Where are my testicles, Summer

They were removed..where have they gone

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin

What the hell?

What, you don't like Joyce?

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin

Ursula K. Le Guin is fantastic

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Meanwhile Cinders, I make it a rule not to look into your baseball bat suggestions anymore.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    There was a story in halo??

There was:

See alien mans
    Shoot mans, shoot.

sig.gif

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin

What the hell?

What, you don't like Joyce?
    emot-psyduck.gif

Also 7 emails written, 3 to go.

How do you office types do this every day.

Halfway through I just want to write "insert standard email banter here, pls"

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Meanwhile Cinders, I make it a rule not to look into your baseball bat suggestions anymore.

Nothing wrong with a good ol' 2x4

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    cB we can get you ahead of the curve.

Most people don't get nearly this pretentious until college.

All of the chicks in floppy hats and/or thick rims will be all over you.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin

Le Guinn is ridiculously good classic sci-fi. You're missing out.

Even her YA stuff in Earthsea has some really nice bits to it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2014
    Halo: The Videogame series had a subpar plot on its own.

The first Halo novel made the entirety of the first two games much more enjoyable, as you know who all these people are and why they matter. They just kind of drop you in to shoot stuff with occasional conversations in the videogame, and never address the issues of who/what Cortana is, what rampancy is, Commander Keyes... all of it.

I Love Bees also might be my favorite radio drama / audiobook ever made, and it was a fucking ad/ARG for Halo 2. Seriously, if you never play any Halo game whatsoever and never read any of the books, it still has a shitload of value and is an amazingly interesting and "human" story about what it would be like to live through the events of what was going on from the eyes of the non-military.

Then shit gets nuts.

ilovebees was admittedly great

but I feel as though its brilliance is fairly detached from the Halo universe as a whole

Literally the only three Halo plot points you need are "invading alien army is trying to find Earth", "there are AIs", and "the military takes children and makes them into super soldiers"

The whole thing is actually pretty much standalone in that regard

Plus the whole forerunner beacon, mention of the prophets...

Like I said, it is a work completely enjoyable as its own thing. But it is very much a part of the same world, and shows that there are a lot of great stories that can be told in that framework.

Halo 4 tried a harder to make the novel/external storylines matter more, and I appreciated their effort even if it wasn't a total success.

Fuck the haters; when Master Chief Collection comes out later this year I am going to play through all four games back to back in 1080p60 and have a blast.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Mmm, Ursula Le Guin

Ursulsa LeGuinn is probably the best fantasy author.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    disclaimer I have never read a single work from Joyce except for this fond descriptions to his wife of her masturbating while pooping a fat one

Well, I guess this is one of those rare times words fail me.

488W936.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Ursula Le Guin is a fantastic writer and near the top of any respectable list of great SF writers.

i did left hand of darkness for my 10th grade novel project where we had to pick any novel and read up literary criticism and stuff and write a paper

was interesting

taoism and duality and shit

poo
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also 7 emails written, 3 to go.

How do you office types do this every day.

Halfway through I just want to write "insert standard email banter here, pls"

I may or may not delve through my Sent Items folder to look for passages to salvage.

See this is what I'm talking about

So much air resistance on the broad side

Can't smash a kneecap hit a home run when I'm too busy fighting the air

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I....don't think I'd call Earthsea YA?

it's great, though.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I like how many different spellings of Le Guin's name there have been in the last two pages

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

it's great, though.

The first three books are usually shelved that way, it was how I was initially exposed to her stuff. The last book really isn't but sequel and all that.

Though now I kinda want to reread them since I haven't since I was a stupid youngling.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    report on my overnight chili:
    It is legit.
    END TRANSMISSION

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

it's great, though.

I had to read A Wizard of Earthsea in 7th grade.

I mean, of all the assignments school gave me that was probably one of the best... but yeah, Earthsea falls pretty squarely in the YA bracket, but is immensely enjoyable to readers of all ages.

Like the later Potter books, I guess.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Deebaser wrote: »
    It is legit.
    END TRANSMISSION

DELIVER SOME TO ME I WANT CHILI

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Like just to clarify I absolutely would like to expand my library
    I just don't trust that you guys are not telling me to read 50 shades of grey in space

Oh I need to phone my brother, too

But not for like 2 hours

Someone tell a family-related anecdote around noon EST to trigger a reminder to call my brother in my brain

See this is what I'm talking about

So much air resistance on the broad side

Can't smash a kneecap hit a home run when I'm too busy fighting the air

Louisville Slugger or nothing!

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    I just don't trust that you guys are not telling me to read 50 shades of grey in space

What the hell did I recommend?

it's great, though.

I had to read A Wizard of Earthsea in 7th grade.

I mean, of all the assignments school gave me that was probably one of the best... but yeah, Earthsea falls pretty squarely in the YA bracket, but is immensely enjoyable to readers of all ages.

Like the later Potter books, I guess.

I read Earthsea as a young teen (I didn't even know schools would assign these D:)

Lemme tell u something, Tehanu was v impactful to young me

Young girl stripped of identity and agency in a corrupt matriarchal religious order, isolated from men and the world at large?

IT'S LIKE YOU'RE TALKING TO ME, URSULA

Okay, I don't think any of us here would intentionally send you off to read anything 50 shades flavored, dude.

Pick up "A Wizard of Earthsea" and read the first 50 pages. I dare you to put it down after you do that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    It is legit.
    END TRANSMISSION

DELIVER SOME TO ME I WANT CHILI

i will be making more of this to be sure. I also picked up cheddar, sour cream, and tostados, because fuck healthy.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

The Earthsea trilogy traces the story of Ged from apprentice to grand master wizard through three books. The second title, the Tomb of Atuan, is really fucking brilliant and probably my favorite.

And where can I get a copy?

>_>

...for my wife.

edited September 2014

That one guy's rather graphic love letters, immediately after I had NOPE'd away from your recommendation of Lolita.
    I think there was some third thing as well.

cB557 on
This discussion has been closed.