As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Taking [Chat] to the [Chat]less Until Death: Judge Minty

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    a platoon implies infantry how are infantry destroying spaceships

They used Manpads.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    So Resume Font opinions: What font? What sizes? Vanguard has helped me with my resume aloooooot and I am trying to make two really polished master resumes, one for I.T. Support jobs and another for I.T. Security jobs, but no matter what I do, I think my resume is going to be 2 pages, so I want it to look neat and clean..and be as small as possible

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh yeah, actually just drop everything and read Hitchhiker's Guide.

We'll wait, it's like 40 pages long.

But then he has to read the sequel. Then he has to read the next one and so on until he gets to the one which is a giant novel length attempt to say "STOP MAKING ME WRITE THIS FUCKING STUFF."

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Also read Lord of the Flies before they make you read it in class

I remember when we had a test in school with an impromptu essay portion and it was basically "analyze this segment" and I wasted a lot of time trying to write euphemisms and finally crossed it all out and went

Uhhh this is a rape scene

they're raping a pig

Lord of the flies....
    did we watch that with the Rifftrax on?

No we watched that completely straight on Hulu plus

Criterion collection wat

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    And then they penetrated the hell out of those spaceships.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Just
    keep in mind in your suggestions that I am a massive prude

Everything is a metaphor for sex in great literature cB

"He put his keys in her bowl" = they boned

"Her eyes brushed over Mr. Bingley's fine gentleman's cane" = she's going to bone him

"Resistance spaceships disappeared in a puff of dust as the enemy platoon rained lasers upon them" = orgy

Like the gay sex scene in Gatsby.

Hey man

Just because I hang out with other dudes in my underwear, looking at photographs or whatever

That don't mean anything

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm a level 20, no big deal.

If Fighter, yeah, no big deal.

If Wizard, Cleric or Druid, big big deal. You shall break the world.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    So Resume Font opinions: What font? What sizes? Vanguard has helped me with my resume aloooooot and I am trying to make two really polished master resumes, one for I.T. Support jobs and another for I.T. Security jobs, but no matter what I do, I think my resume is going to be 2 pages, so I want it to look neat and clean..and be as small as possible

Verdana, 11 point

Classic

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

By harmonizing their protoneural frequencies!
    Its a methaphor... jeez

Deebaser on

Sex

I thought we were being clear here

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Just

Sex is a part of literature.

Not as an insult, but it's a big part of the human condition.
    yeah but
    reading about that part of the human condition does not require reading about a dude molesting his adopted daughter
    or some old dude who's into farts

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i was hangin out with my friend yest who i hadn't seen in a while cuz her work cray

she is a teacher so she wakes up mad early

i'm like real good friends with her and her roommate, but they have a 3rd roommate who is this guy who is like, i mean, he's an okay guy, bit weird but

well i guess he'd been kinda dating one of my friend's close friends, but uh they broke up for her wanting a more real relationship and him not, and uh i guess he slept with a person or two, including some lady when he was in hawaii

so, that's awk for one

but i guess he unexpectedly now brought that girl from hawaii to stay for a bit without asking other roommates

and their walls are thin / sound carries

and my friend has to sleep early and wake up early

so

that whole situation sounds awkward and unpleasant

my friend said she got woken up today at 2am and yelled "are you fucking kidding me" and then things went silent

poo
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    guys can we liek

get on dis guys level for a bit

liek when i was his age i thought myself a fancy and well-read consumer of literature but I realize now how much I missed and misunderstood because my goal was to finish, not to savor the art and consider it

can we say HEY KIDDO START WITH COMEDIES (Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams) and with dark but relatively straightforward fantasy (Neil Gaiman!)

Request rejected

Okay boys, drive the pallet of Burroughs and DFW novels into cB's room

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    @deebaser i need ingredients and recipe thanks

1 package of italian sausages links (remove from the case)
    1.5 lubs of beef shoulder steak (cubed)
    1 chopped red chilli pepper (i used whole dried and chopped the shit out of them until they were basically powder)
    1 chopped jalepeno
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 chopped yellow onion
    1 28oz can crushed tomato
    1 tablespoon of cumin
    1 tablespoon of cayenne
    pinch of salt
    a couple turns of the ol' pepper grinder
    1 can kidney beans
    a glass of merlot
    a third of a Bitburger tallboy

Set it, stir and forget. In the morning I took my cocktail muddler and beat the shit out of it to shread the beef.

Is good. Perfect amount of spice.

by the looks of it, that gives ketchup a run for its money in terms of heat

Wqdwp8l.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ronya wrote: »
    fwiw I despised Earthsea

I'm not even sure why, something in me recoiled from it

I did manage to finish it though

is it because all the good guys are brown and white people are the savages

huh

ronya

hmm

no, I don't think that was it. in fact iirc that particular point flew right past me when reading - wikipedia says it was A Wizard of Earthsea, I guess Earthsea is a series. some other review pointed it out to me, a while later, this was years ago

I think it was the magic system that I found repellent - I guess the author's excessive sense of enjoyment that a completely arbitrary magical system turns out to be working exactly the way she likes (WHAT A SURPRISE!) coming through the text

As opposed to how magic actually works?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    September 30th can not come fast enough.

Just

yeah but
    reading about that part of the human condition does not require reading about a dude molesting his adopted daughter

Such horrible things are, in fact, a part of the human condition.

Yes, even being into farts.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You should read the collected scripts of Blackadder.

Vonnegut would be good, Sophie's World is good for a teenager, American Gods is good, The Culture books are fantastic. Try the Lies of Locke Lamora.

I remember liking Sophie's world a lot as a tot

Omg memories~

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

They used Manpads.

teehee

"manpads"

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Also read Lord of the Flies before they make you read it in class

I remember when we had a test in school with an impromptu essay portion and it was basically "analyze this segment" and I wasted a lot of time trying to write euphemisms and finally crossed it all out and went

Uhhh this is a rape scene

they're raping a pig

Lord of the flies....
    did we watch that with the Rifftrax on?

No we watched that completely straight on Hulu plus

Criterion collection wat

Thank God. I was disappointed in us for a second. I must have had Lord of The Flies confused with The Wicker Man. Now I am only disappointed in myself.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @deebaser i need ingredients and recipe thanks

1 chopped red chilli pepper (i used whole dried and chopped the shit out of them until they were basically powder)
    1 chopped jalepeno
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 chopped yellow onion
    1 tablespoon of cumin
    1 tablespoon of cayenne
    pinch of salt
    1 can kidney beans
    a glass of merlot

Set it, stir and forget. In the morning I took my cocktail muddler and beat the shit out of it to shread the beef.

*In the typeset of will*
    canned kidney beans?
    what are we
    uncouth savages?
    *adjusts monocle*

Bless your heart.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It's Thursday. I had a 3 hour commute today. Time to update my resume again. Maybe I'll get the juices flowing. Time to put a hurting on my inner muse.

1405902690312.jpg

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Just

All the more reason to read some interesting shit and break out of that shell.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Try Blindsight, Gravity's Rainbow, and The World as Will and Representation.

House of Leaves, Infinite Jest, and Ezra Pound's Cantos are all a breeze, too.

all jokes aside house of leaves is odd enough to go down surprisingly easily

infinite jest is also hardly a strugle 2 reed

obF2Wuw.png
    I thought he smelled bad on the outside

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @Ludious‌
    Papyrus, Size 14
    MS Courier Size 12
    Wingdings Size 24

Choose your weapon.

Bless your heart.
    Just

yeah but

If you want to understand humanity's great capacity for complexity you must put aside your standards of morality for the real world and explore great fiction

Or you can just read Jane Austen which I love completely sincerely and no one dare say a fucking word against Pride and Prejudice which is an exploration of a very different kind of human complexity and depravity

edited September 2014
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    cB, disregard vidja games and literature

Acquire sports

Until the day comes when they shut down the NFL because all of the players' brains are being destroyed

It's a cash cow

And also enjoyable to watch!

actually i am heartily regretful that I was disdainful and scared of sports (mostly because gym class is a nightmarish joke) and was afraid to exercise for the first 20 years of my life, because now I enjoy it and wish I had built up a base when i was a teenager and it would have been much easier to build up said base
    i think the thing is not finding a sport i enjoyed for a while

i still don't think i would enjoy team sports, because i didn't and i doubt i ever really will, they were really a drag (though i was forced to play them for forever, like i played soccer from 4th grade thru 8th at school - and also as a yout, and then basketball in middle school, and then in HS - i went to private school - they also made us do physical things, but i did lol 3rds squash and "physical fitness" to avoid doing real sports)

i do wish i'd gotten into lifting earlier though - especially in HS, but even earlier in college tho i started in college, because now it is my favorite thing, i fucking love it

and i found that i loved jiu jitsu when i started senior year of HS, when i had a chance to do an independent elective sport not at school - (which made me regret not doing wrestling in HS)

and i have always loved snowboarding though my opportunities to do that have varied and it's hard to go enough to get good

so what i think is important is - even if you do not like sports you should find something physical that you really enjoy and get into because there are all kinds of things
    if not team sports, you can get into hiking, or running, or lifting, or kayaking or alpine sports or rock climbing or martial arts or yadda yadda yadda, you just gotta find the thing you like
    i think this is important

shaz you are a wizened sage fyi

desc on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    TTO I'm gonna shit on your butt

Vanguard wrote: »
    fwiw I despised Earthsea

I'm not even sure why, something in me recoiled from it

I did manage to finish it though

is it because all the good guys are brown and white people are the savages

huh

ronya

hmm

no, I don't think that was it. in fact iirc that particular point flew right past me when reading - wikipedia says it was A Wizard of Earthsea, I guess Earthsea is a series. some other review pointed it out to me, a while later, this was years ago

I think it was the magic system that I found repellent - I guess the author's excessive sense of enjoyment that a completely arbitrary magical system turns out to be working exactly the way she likes (WHAT A SURPRISE!) coming through the text

As opposed to how magic actually works?

Ugh fire magic totally OP i hope they nerf mages in the patch

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you could build another me out of all the shit that's come out of my sinuses in the last 48 hours.

Also why is it that fevers always come at three inthe morning and leave you wandering the house trying to turn off te nuke?

Lh96QHG.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    WORK SUUUUUX

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    TTO I'm gonna shit on your butt

Lud, I know I'm inconsistent

But I'm on now

Which means my suggestion is the correct one

Winky wrote: »
    Oh yeah, actually just drop everything and read Hitchhiker's Guide.

We'll wait, it's like 40 pages long.

Hitchhiker's guide is the best suggestion so far for smart breezy teen-friendly writing

All in favor of cB giving it a try say "aye"

edited September 2014
    Irond Will wrote: »
    deebaser i need ingredients and recipe thanks

1 chopped jalepeno
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 chopped yellow onion
    1 tablespoon of cumin
    1 tablespoon of cayenne
    pinch of salt
    1 can kidney beans
    a glass of merlot
    3 cloves garlic

by the looks of it, that gives ketchup a run for its money in terms of heat

It was spicy italian sausage, and it's got a bit of a kick. i didn't want to make my first go round inedibly hot.
    Also, whoops, forgot the garlic.

Deebaser on
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    yo wingdings size 24 seems OP

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    also how are my legs still sore from MONDAY

i didn't do any leg ish yesterday

poo
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    WORK SUUUUUX

I know

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    i had some tres leches cake last night mmm

poo
This discussion has been closed.