As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Steam LOL

MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
I didn't want to derail the main Steam thread, so I'm making this one separate.

I'm currently writing a paper for class about digital distribution, and one of the cases I want to use is Steam. Now, I'm personally of the opinion that Steam is a great idea, and a good service with potential, but at the same time I still remember how frustrating the Half-Life 2 launch was because of it.

That's where you come in. I'm primarily looking for a few first-hand accounts of the launch experience. Did you have issues with it? Perhaps it was smooth sailing for you and you think talk of it's problems are over-hyped?

While that's what I'm primarily looking for, I welcome any other discussion on the subject, such as Steam in it's current or possible future forms, or even on the subject of digital distribution as a whole.

MrDeadMan on

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I shouldn't have to pay the same price as a boxed copy if I'm not getting any of the packaging.

Screw Steam.

rayofash on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    I shouldn't have to pay the same price as a boxed copy if I'm not getting any of the packaging.

Screw Steam.

but bandwidth is so expensive!!!!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Screw Steam.

I kinda agree with this guy. I like how easy Steam makes it and whatnot, but there should at least be some discount, even if it's only like $5.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Screw Steam.

I kinda agree with this guy. I like how easy Steam makes it and whatnot, but there should at least be some discount, even if it's only like $5.

This would be nice, however, publishers and distributors don't like being undercut.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Screw Steam.

This would be nice, however, publishers and distributors don't like being undercut.

That's cool, but I personally don't like paying the same price for less product.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Screw Steam.

You are paying for the right to download gigs of data from their servers until the end of time or the company goes out of business.

I would say that's fair.

Shit. If you live 15 minutes from your closest game store, you just saved 5 dollars in gas. Not to mention the convenience of not having to put pants on.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Screw Steam.

That's cool, but I personally don't like paying the same price for less product.

Well I personally prefer digital ownership to a hard copy. It's much more likely that your discs will be lost or stolen than that something will happen to Valve's servers or they'll go out of business. I vastly prefer having that nice list on Steam over lugging around a huge folder of CDs.

Zek on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This might actually be more of a D&D topic actually. At least, I can see it turning into that. But no matter.

I can't recall back to the HL2 release, so if that's specifically what you're looking for anecdotes from, I guess you can just ignore my entire post.

But one thing I've noticed lately is that Steam seems like a poor alternative for that specific group of gamers that just have to have a game the second it comes out. It happened with BioShock and more recently the TF2 beta; the amount of childish whining that occurred because the game wasn't released right at 12:01am was quite depressing to see. So people need to realize that Steam doesn't replace brick and mortar stores, or to a lesser extend online ordering and shipping of a physical product, for the first day or so of a game's release.

One other small downside to Steam I've found is that you do miss out on some of the physical aspects of games. Yes, not having to worry about scratched/lost discs is nice, but I remember back to a lot of games where the packaging, the manual, the box, and in the case of collectors editions, all the neat (but useless) shit that came with it, was part of the experience. This is less of an issue nowadays though, because the standard edition of games is pretty bare-bones and pathetic; only collectors editions usually have all those extras.

But Steam is great for everything else. Particularly older games that may be difficult to find. The ability to download and play the games anywhere is incredible, and with all this new Steam community stuff, it's become much more than just a digital distribution program.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Shit. If you live 15 minutes from your closest game store, you just saved 5 dollars in gas. Not to mention the convenience of not having to put pants on.

Absolutely. I never put pants on if I can help it.

Valernos on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would prefer a small discount in exchange for not paying for stocking fees, packaging, CD's etc, but I can live with what steam is right now just fine.

As someone mentioned, having digital ownership is almost more substantial than having the real CDs. If you lose your CD key with a physical copy of a game, your ownership of the game is basically gone. With steam, so long as you can come up with a password that isn't easily guessed, you basically have irrefutably proof that you own these games until steam goes out of business and can play them on any number of computers you like.

Bioshock is sort of a bad example, but for HL2 at least though, the digital distribution really did shine through as I played HL2 at like 12:10 AM PST the moment it was released. I couldn't have done that with a physical copy.

Plus there's no tax on digital purchases! (In my state, at least)

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Cycophant wrote: »
    But one thing I've noticed lately is that Steam seems like a poor alternative for that specific group of gamers that just have to have a game the second it comes out. It happened with BioShock and more recently the TF2 beta; the amount of childish whining that occurred because the game wasn't released right at 12:01am was quite depressing to see. So people need to realize that Steam doesn't replace brick and mortar stores, or to a lesser extend online ordering and shipping of a physical product, for the first day or so of a game's release.

This. I mean, I don't think any PC games have had the sales impact that, say, Halo 3 had, but could you imagine if one did, and had a midnight release in brick and mortar stores? Would anyone buy it on Steam?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

This. I mean, I don't think any PC games have had the sales impact that, say, Halo 3 had, but could you imagine if one did, and had a midnight release in brick and mortar stores? Would anyone buy it on Steam?

Like I said, I would buy it on Steam just to own it on Steam, even if it meant waiting one night. Not everybody has a phobia of digital ownership. Midnight launches at retail stores are at least as much a pain in the ass as their Steam counterparts.

Zek on
  • Options
    MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This might actually be more of a D&D topic actually. At least, I can see it turning into that. But no matter.

I uh... actually don't read anything other than G&T, so it didn't even occur to me to post this anywhere else.

MrDeadMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It's not so much digital ownership that scares me. I own a few games on XBLA and though I only own one game on it, I have Steam as well. What would bother me in my example is that my friends just got a 14-hour jump on Halo 3 without me, because I'm waiting for whenever the hell Steam decides I can activate my already-paid-for game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I buy stuff from Steam I don't get charged tax. And I am playing TF2 NOW because of it. I <3 Steam.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I bought ep 1 on steam last night for about 10$, which is 7€, if I bought it here I would have to pay 20€. Not to mention I'd have a crappy box with no extras for a game expansion filling up space.
    Don't get me wrong I really prefer having hard copies of the games, but if they don't start making more special editions and making them more accessible, there's not a lot of incentive to buy them. This applies to piracy too.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    If I buy stuff from Steam I don't get charged tax. And I am playing TF2 NOW because of it. I <3 Steam.

How are you guys paying no tax? I have to go back and check my credit statement but I'm pretty sure I paid tax on Steam.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

How are you guys paying no tax? I have to go back and check my credit statement but I'm pretty sure I paid tax on Steam.

Do you live in Washington?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I sure as hell had to pay tax

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Some states don't have to pay tax for online purchases.

Zek on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007

Actually, you're playing a non-finalized pre-release beta version of it.

Echo on
  • Options
    PacoPaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really wish Steam was available for Mac's, it's really the only thing that I miss since switching

Paco on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Paco wrote: »
    I really wish Steam was available for Mac's, it's really the only thing that I miss since switching
    Well, it is. Sort of.

I mean, I run my Intel iMac almost exclusively in XP now that I've realized that dicking about online + games does not really require a smooth, crisp delightful interface. Though I did prefer the Unix-like command line much more...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »

You should trade in your Sherman Tank for something slightly more fuel efficient. Sure, you won't find a 75mm cannon in modern compact cars, but the savings on gas will be astronomical.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »

Actually, you're playing a non-finalized pre-release beta version of it.

Better than NOT playing a non-finalized pre-release beta version of the game. That's for damn sure.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    I want to sig that.

Echo on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Paco wrote: »

You didn't have to switch completely, you could have used both. When I get a Mac, I will never "Switch". Fuck Apple's marketing campaign in its ass.

But back on topic: There's also the big hit to customers who have have download caps. Thanks Cox and [to a lesser extent] Comcast!

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    I want to sig that.

Hmm. I can't come up with anything clever to say here.

urahonky on
  • Options
    HodjHodj Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I preordered and pre loaded HLF2 back before it came back and I cannot remember any problems really occurring during the launch.

I just logged in and started playing on release day.

I do agree I wish there was a tad bit more of a discount due to buying the product online and not getting a paper manual + box, but that discount would be so small that, as has been mentioned previously, you save about the same amount as you would spend in gas to get to the store and back to buy the game in the box.

I like Steam, I like XBL, Playstation Store and the Wii online service (though admittedly I haven't actually gotten online on my wii yet). Digital distribution is good when companies use it and do it right.

Hodj on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Who here would pay Valve the share of the profit they get, if they allowed us to enter the CD key of whatever retail game we purchased that is available to purchase in Steam?

I know I would.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I personally don't care about the packaging. Honestly, I never read the manuals, I never use any of the other crap that comes in a box. The box just takes up room. Also, I have a tendency to lose all my cds and keys. Thus, despite the fact you are paying the same amount for a hard copy, the cardboard, paper and plastic that come along with it, you get the digital copy, which is nearly impossible to lose.

Its great, the same copy of HL, OP Force, Blue Shift, Counterstrike and the like that I bought nearly eight years ago as a hard copy have been transfered to Steam, and I can install them whenever I want. After installing those copies when I first got them, I never touched the packaging or manuals again.

Steam had its problems when it first came out, but overall, I think it has evolved into a great distribution media.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, it's not like Valve puts manuals and stuff into the boxed version of their games anyway. It's just the disc and a little quick start guide slip thing.

I get the feeling that if Valve thought it could skip retail entirely, it would.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Well, it's not like Valve puts manuals and stuff into the boxed version of their games anyway. It's just the disc and a little quick start guide slip thing.

I get the feeling that if Valve thought it could skip retail entirely, it would.

I don't know, it's like our game boxes are trophies in a way.

Yes, a lot of us don't play much sports, this shouldn't surprise anyone. :)

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orange Box on steam - £24
    Orange Box retail - £23

undermining digital distribution, and at the same time as using one of the most overplayed jokes ever?

priceless

LewieP on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If Gamestop/etc didn't threaten to stop carrying a publisher's games if they undercut them on steam, maybe we'd see some lower pricing. In any event, I think a game on Steam is worth more than a retail game. The convenience of no driving/waiting/cd/cd-key/installation process/losing the cd is worth a good bit to me.

As for my experiences, nothing but awesomeness. No troubles on the HL2 release or anywhere else. I heard there were some authentication issues during that huge wind storm that knocked out power to the puget sound area, but I was too busy huddling in the cold and dark to notice.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is there an ecological win one way or another? Which is worse, the waste in manufacturing boxes/manuals/CDs, or the fuel cost of running Steam's servers?

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    Is there an ecological win one way or another? Which is worse, the waste in manufacturing boxes/manuals/CDs, or the fuel cost of running Steam's servers?

That's an interesting one. Depended on a bunch of things.

If all games were to be sold through steam, that would cut down loads on distribution, but I don't know if would be a significant marginal benefit per copy.

But also, how many times have people left PCs on over night to download a game when they could have just installed from a disc.

These are just the first things that popped into my head, it is certainly going to be more complex than one is better than the other.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dagrabbit wrote: »

Or the fuel cost of driving to the store?

Zek on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fuel cost to run Steam's servers? I guarantee that the energy cost to keep some servers online is nowhere near the energy usedt to produce boxes/plastic CDs and jewel cases, not to mention the gas used to run the trucks that deliver the games to stores.

If you're thinking about the environment digital distribution is much cleaner.

Personally I love Steam. I've never had excessively long downloads and I love not having to schlep out to a store full of nerds to buy games. Also I don't have to pay taxes on Steam games, and people who talk about how games on Steam should cost less should pay attention to some of the package deals and special prices they have every so often. $60 for basically every Id game ever made? That's a very good deal.

Drool on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    $60 for basically every Id game ever made? That's a totally fucking awesome deal, goddamnit.

Fix'd.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png