As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - Digital

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - Digital

Digital

Digital

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/09/24

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• ReplicanttenReplicantten Registered User regular
    Amazing what you can do with ten fingers.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I feel like this album needs to be an actual thing.

With tracks like Suite Jenny Bloodaxe, Gonna Die With My Warhammer in My Hand, and Walkin' Back to Thunder Bluff.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    I'd buy that album.

mkf6ad9.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Also, until someone can prove otherwise to me, I'm going to assume Thokk there isn't wearing anything below the shoulders except his guitar on the album cover.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, is WoW updating character models with the next expansion?

Kinda interesting. I can't think of any other MAJOR visual overhauls since launch that weren't new content.

What is this I don't even.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Kinda interesting. I can't think of any other MAJOR visual overhauls since launch that weren't new content.
    Yes, for the pre-cata races. Goblin, Worgen, and Panda are not getting an overhaul just yet.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They're trying so hard to get me to go back and check it all out.

Must resist.

What is this I don't even.
  • roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Must resist.

It is unavoidable. It is your destiny.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    I demand a cover of, "I've Got a Dream."

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • RylasRylas Registered User new member
    I feel there was a missed opportunity to reference RhymeBlade.

• larixlaricinalarixlaricina Registered User new member
    Ah, for just one time I would take the Northrend Passage
    To find the hand of Arthas reaching for the Frozen Sea...

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular

Must resist.
    I know that feel, thankfully I deleted all of my toons before I quit a year ago. no going back because I will never spend all that time grinding lvls and primary/secondary profs again. Although...I had a friend quit the same way, then called Blizz a few months later and claimed a roommate deleted all his stuff/toons and got everything back......NO! MUST RESIST!

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    no going back because I will never spend all that time grinding lvls and primary/secondary profs again.

No worry on the leveling, they have that covered with the free boost one character to 90!

As for the profs, you'll have to wait until the actual expansion for leveling improvements.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Honestly the urge to go back has lessened each time. I bought a discounted Panderia last and didn't even finish out the month despite having most of it off.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I call Horde favoritism on this strip. It's always about the Orcs with WoW! ;)

Seriously, though...I was a bit late to the WoW party. My first character was actually on my brother's copy of the game back in "Wrath of the Lich King." I got my own copy shortly before "Cataclysm" launched. I played for quite awhile during that expansion, but I mostly kept to myself - leveling different characters to max, going after quest achievements, etc. I would say that "Mists of Pandaria" was the closest I've come thus far to being a true WoW player. I played PvP battlegrounds and did the easier versions of the raids. I still wasn't "hardcore" enough to do rated battlegrounds or heroic raids, but hey...at least I was associating with other players from time to time!

I have to admit that the "Warlords of Draenor" storyline is only mildly intriguing to me, even though I did play through the Warcraft III campaigns back in the day and thus am familiar with the background story. I probably WOULD come back and play it out of sheer nothing-better-to-do-ness, but I just started taking college classes again for the first time in 16 years, so I think I'll resist so I can take my studies seriously. I have a hard enough time some days finding time to eat between my full time job, school, and homework, so I can't imagine finding time to play WoW with any degree of seriousness.

Perhaps I'll catch up again a little further down the road.

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Comic on my birthday referencing a game I have fond memories for.

Tiny bit eery. But mostly awesome.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    6ofnn5.jpg
    I guess an orc would have to be crazy to wanna be a folk singer...

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • ZampsterZampster Registered User new member

Yep.. HH5rv8N.gif

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Still a bit of a work in progress.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

Must resist.
    I know that feel, thankfully I deleted all of my toons before I quit a year ago. no going back because I will never spend all that time grinding lvls and primary/secondary profs again. Although...I had a friend quit the same way, then called Blizz a few months later and claimed a roommate deleted all his stuff/toons and got everything back......NO! MUST RESIST!

If you buy the expansion you get a free level 90 character boost. If you level the character to 60 before using the boost(which takes all of a few hours nowadays) you get your crafting/gathering professions boosted to 600(Mists of Pandaria max).

Just sayin'.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »

Must resist.

If you buy the expansion you get a free level 90 character boost. If you level the character to 60 before using the boost(which takes all of a few hours nowadays) you get your crafting/gathering professions boosted to 600(Mists of Pandaria max).

Just sayin'.

Also, professions are becoming much friendlier. They've already been a lot easier to level than they used to, and some big changes with the expansion are increased amounts of skill from gathering, and you can now keep all your crafting mats (which stack to 1000!) in the bank and still craft things from them anywhere, much like Diablo 3 did.

• K.MI.K.C.K.MI.K.C. Registered User regular
    Man, I didn't/don't like WoW. I mean, it's like any other story-based game in that they would tell you to go to x and do y. But I never felt like anything I did had any impact on the world or even a single player other than me ever. Whenever I completed a task I knew that the next person to come here the NPC absolutely would tell them the same thing they told me, and nothing I did in any way influenced anyone else in the world. How is what I did of any relevance then? Meh. It's not an RPG, it's a pachinko machine without payout.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So am I the only one who's hoping someone makes this album a thing?
    EDIT:Yay! Guess not hehe.

ziddersroofurry on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Ah, for just one time I would take the Northrend Passage
    To find the hand of Arthas reaching for the Frozen Sea...

I don't think this got the appreciation it deserved.

I appreciate this.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    K.MI.K.C. wrote: »
    Man, I didn't/don't like WoW. I mean, it's like any other story-based game in that they would tell you to go to x and do y. But I never felt like anything I did had any impact on the world or even a single player other than me ever. Whenever I completed a task I knew that the next person to come here the NPC absolutely would tell them the same thing they told me, and nothing I did in any way influenced anyone else in the world. How is what I did of any relevance then? Meh. It's not an RPG, it's a pachinko machine without payout.

it sounds like you just don't like MMOs. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make the people who like them wrong for playing WoW, because it's still far and away the best of its kind.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    it sounds like you just don't like MMOs. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make the people who like them wrong for playing WoW, because it's still far and away the best of its kind.

No, no. I don't mean to imply everybody who likes and plays World of Warcraft is wrong or dumb. I fully acknowledge that it feels less than epic to me. What I crave is a way to have a tangible impact on the world I dive into, otherwise it breaks the immersion for me.

However, MMOs can entice me, and some, like EVE Online, do. Firstly, it features spaceships and lasers. Yay! It also allows players to claim sectors and build their own little theme park, with blackjack and ... whatever ... it might be. Time and dedication can turn players into magnates in the game world, and that right there makes more sense to me than avatars being told to hunt something, be rewarded with Ye Boots of Worthlessness, and then proceed to the next guy who needs absolutely every player please, please to return his escaped dog. One game allows for player agency in a meaningful way (again, my opinion), the other only ever tells you to do things, with the added benefit of seeing all the players doing it along with you. That is my, somewhat oversimplified, objection to Worlds and the alleged Craft of War therein.

• Lord_HamshireLord_Hamshire Some Highfalutin English Major Registered User regular
    This is amazing.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So you like being able to make a (semi) permanent mark on the persistent world, rather than merely moving through it, performing tasks given to you?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    K.MI.K.C. wrote: »

WoW wishes it was half as addictive and half as much of a money sink as pachinko.

The lines I have seen, stretching around buildings, before opening door time. The haggard, weary faces hungry to get the first crack at a shindai, at a new machine... Yeesh.

So you like being able to make a (semi) permanent mark on the persistent world, rather than merely moving through it, performing tasks given to you?

I mean, that expresses it rather prosaically but, yeah, sounds like something I would like?!

And as for the addictive qualities of teh Warcraftz, I have known people who played day and night, neglecting social life, eventually steering themselves into depression. Might've colored my impression, come to think of it.