As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A God Damned Separate Thread For Your Argument About Athletes and their Punishment

123457»

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    CNN Op Ed article:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/18/opinion/navarrette-spanking-kids/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"Fear is essential to respect."

That's a fucked up way of thinking.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    CNN Op Ed article:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/18/opinion/navarrette-spanking-kids/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

It's a product of a fucked up family dynamic.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    CNN Op Ed article:

It makes perfect sense if you're in the god damn mafia.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Today I had lunch with my Dad.

As I got in the car he was listen to Goodell talk about how he handled the Ray Rice thing and what he hopes to learn from his missteps going forward.

Then my Dad explained to me that it's all a conspiracy by Obama to destroy the NFL.

You see, apparently Obama wanted the NFL to force the Redskins to change their name, and when the NFL refused, Obama ordered his connections in the liberal media to start focusing on all these domestic abuse things in order to punish the league. And if I were accused of a misdemeanor, not even convicted, accused, would I think it was fair that I lose my job over something like that?

So... that's what's going on with this story in the minds of people who listen to Rush Limbaugh, just to let you know.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/roger-goodell-nfl-commissioner-domestic-violence-policies-ray-rice-adrian-peterson-091914?gt1=51501

That's Goodell's press conference.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

As I got in the car he was listen to Goodell talk about how he handled the Ray Rice thing and what he hopes to learn from his missteps going forward.

Then my Dad explained to me that it's all a conspiracy by Obama to destroy the NFL.

You see, apparently Obama wanted the NFL to force the Redskins to change their name, and when the NFL refused, Obama ordered his connections in the liberal media to start focusing on all these domestic abuse things in order to punish the league. And if I were accused of a misdemeanor, not even convicted, accused, would I think it was fair that I lose my job over something like that?

So... that's what's going on with this story in the minds of people who listen to Rush Limbaugh, just to let you know.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/roger-goodell-nfl-commissioner-domestic-violence-policies-ray-rice-adrian-peterson-091914?gt1=51501

I am so sorry.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    One would think that if you wanted to force a name change, you'd just find/manufacture dirt on Snyder.

Nah. Better to attempt to destroy one of the most profitable sports leagues in the world.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    CNN Op Ed article:

This is exactly the sort of thinking that condoned beating your wife not so long ago

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    CNN Op Ed article:

Did Josef Stalin rise from the grave to write that? Even Machiavelli was more nuanced than that, and he was the most Machiavellian person ever.

hippofant on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Like I want to believe he was talking about more than just fear for personal safety. Like fear of disappointing someone you see as a mentor. Or fear of failing others.
    But nope pretty sure he meant fear of personal safety exclusively.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Coates points out why the concern trolling over Hope Solo is false equivalence.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What I'm tired of is a general Queen of Hearts mentality when it comes to athletes and other celebrities who get on the wrong side of the law. Especially when it includes not letting them try for any redemption.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eh there are plenty of stories of celebrities fucking up and getting other chances. Like RDJ or even Micheal Vick.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    No charges against Tony Stewart, by the way.

• Options
    Not even the same thing as anything else, I mean Stewart is an asshole but the guy he killed took his own life in his hands by getting out of his car on the track.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, That one doesn't particularly surprise me. Dude actively walked into the middle of a race.

• Options
    If anything the Stewart case was the opposite of the Ray Rice one, people were trying to use Stewart being an asshole and a bump and grind driver as a reason he killed that other driver when at no point in the investigation or the video does that appear at all the case.

Stewart's not a nice guy, and he did kill that other driver, but it was not intentional and no charges should be filed, that other person did something extremely stupid and paid the ultimate price for it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't know if it's so much of a case that it was definitively not intentional so much as a total lack of any convincing evidence in either direction (compounded by a guy stupidly and brazenly walking onto a racetrack), so we assume innocence.

Cog on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Honestly I think the method of resolution we got on Stewart was perfect. The situation was just ambiguous enough that it should have gone to a grand jury as it did but the jury saying "no charges" is a perfectly good outcome.

Given the relatively low bar that Grand Juries operate on this should settle the matter.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    With Tony Stewart, there is the question of whether or not he gunned the engine to try and scare the guy or whatever, but it's difficult to determine one way or the other. Without concrete proof, you have to work under the assumption it was not intentional. Additionally, Tony Stewart was either genuinely remorseful about what happened, or smart enough to make it look like he was remorseful, as evidenced by voluntarily sitting out from racing instead of forcing somebody to suspend him. Quite different from the events in football recently.

That is all totally ignoring the stupidity of the guy that got out of his car and walked toward a bunch of cars moving at a speed where an impact would, at best, cripple you. Even under caution race cars are going pretty fast, like even on the smallest track NASCAR has a 30 mph pit road speed limit, which is what the pace car is supposed to drive on the lap before a green flag. I wouldn't want to get hit by a car moving 30 mph (and the cars were probably going faster than that, as they hadn't finished lining up behind the pace car as far as I know).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also apparently Ward Jr. tested positive for marijuana, though I don't know if that was a "had smoked recently" or the was actually under the influence of because literally this is the first time I've heard about that aspect of it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Apparently the toxicology estimated "enough to impair judgement".

Which, number 1, I think sterile toxicology numbers and the over-inflated media representation of how The Pot will make you Do Crazy Things are objectively tripe, but number 2, who the fuck gets baked and races a fucking sprint car?

Cog on
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »

Which, number 1, I think sterile toxicology numbers and the over-inflated media representation of how The Pot will make you Do Crazy Things are objectively tripe, but number 2, who the fuck gets baked and races a fucking sprint car?

Probably the same guy who decides to get out of his car during the middle of a race and shout at another driver.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I knew how it was going to end after the first sentence...well sorta. lol

• Options
    To be fair, nobody would come here to post "Today I had lunch with my Dad and he totes agrees with all of us." :D

• Options
    'Today I had lunch with my Dad and I couldn't stop screaming since he's been dead for twenty years.'

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    True, whenever I or any of my siblings open with "So I talked to Dad today..." we know about how it's going to go, but there are always little surprises in there that make the whole thing worthwhile.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Multiple media buyers tell THR that clients have requested their ads not appear during games featuring the Ravens or Minnesota Vikings, the team of suspended running back Adrian Peterson (due in a Texas court Oct. 8 on a child abuse charge for whipping his 4-year-old son). CBS, which kicked off its $275 million Thursday Night Football package Sept. 11 with strong ratings for a Ravens game, had one sponsor ask to be removed from the broadcast and another request its ads shift, likely away from a discussion of the violence issue during CBS Sports' pregame report. CBS declined to identify the sponsors.

The sponsors continue to make rumbling noises.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Probably the same guy who decides to get out of his car during the middle of a race and shout at another driver.

Just a further bit of... trivia? I guess... about the Tony Stewart thing: Sprint Cars don't have transmissions. They are essentially either off or in high gear, so on cautions you can't downshift... you just go easy on the gas.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Just a further bit of... trivia? I guess... about the Tony Stewart thing: Sprint Cars don't have transmissions. They are essentially either off or in high gear, so on cautions you can't downshift... you just go easy on the gas.

Incorrect. NASCAR Sprint Cup cars have a full gearbox with 4 gears and clutch, on cautions drivers will drop to 2nd or 3rd depending on the track and gear set up. Drivers used to shift for the short tracks (Your old high/low) but now most stay in the top gear and use gear ratios to get power down through the straight.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    He meant like World of Outlaws sprint cars, not Sprint Cup stock cars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, sorry. When I said "Sprint Car" I was referring to the car, not the series. The accident took place during an Empire Super Sprints series race, not a NASCAR Sprint Cup series race. So (if like me they have no interest in watching the video of Ward's death) people might be picturing stock cars, and that might be colouring their impression of events. Sprints are stripped down as much as possible to maximise the power to weight ratio and are inherently a little "loosey goosey".

Ie. this kind of car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaMr21oXqRM

LordSolarMacharius on