As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking [Chat] to the [Chat]less Until Death: Judge Minty

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    You guys, opinions

does this job seem doable and i'm just freaking out thinking it'll be too hard for no reason or should I begin to prepare to get fired:
    Job Title: General Office Worker (GOW)

Job Purpose: The GOW supports CIS Adjudications functions by providing clerical and administrative support in the processing of N-400 (Application for Naturalization) and I-485 (Application to Register as a Permanent Resident or Adjust Status).

Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Day to day functions):

General Office Workers provide support for the processing of other forms and applications used in the adjudication process.
    GOWs perform all clerical tasks related to preparing for and conducting Naturalization ceremonies, including the preparation and distribution of Naturalization certificates and the retrieval of documentation from applicants.
    GOWs contact applicants to schedule dates and times of interviews and naturalization ceremonies.
    They file copies of naturalization certificates and notices in the appropriate alien file.

Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
    Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested

Minimum Experience, Education and Licensure:
    High School Diploma or equivalent
    U.S. Citizenship
    Should have at least one year’s work experience preferably in an administrative or customer service field. The GOW must be computer literate, be able to enter data at a reasonable rate, express or exchange ideas by the spoken word, and sit or stand for long periods of time. Must qualify for a USCIS security clearance.
    Computer skills required: Computer literate, data entry skills required

Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
    Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment and relate well to others
    Ability to show initiative and commitment to the company’s goals
    Ability to readily adapt to changing requirements
    Strong commitment to performing and producing at the highest level of quality at all times
    Ability to manage individual workflow effectively and improve processes when necessary
    Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with coworkers both in written and verbal
    communications
    Positive attitude focused on customer satisfaction

Physical Requirements:
    While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; use fingers and hands to type or write; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The GOW must also be able to conduct repetitive body movements, push, reach, stoop and/ or bend and lift up to 45 pounds repetitively at times.
    Work Environment:
    This position is performed in a traditional office environment.

apply now

this is actually the job I start on the 6th. I was just hoping it seemed easy and would be a good first foray into office work.
    Is this a GS position or a contractor position?

This is a company that works for the government. So...contractor?
    Yes contractor. It's an important distinction. For now don't worry, as long as you don't muck about in govie office politics you will be fine.

What, you mean like gossip and shit? Am I supposed to worry when I get dragged into that?
    I've seen contractors get in the middle of some stupid shit before, and government workers are notorious gossips. When I worked at my previous position (Fed). A worker went to his boss and told him about his arrest. Got in his car drove 3 minutes across campus and security at the door was asking him about it.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I have drank some vodka and am on my way to meet a girl. Wish me luck chatbros.

All the racist jokes you know, in one long spiel

end with "fuck you right in the pussy"

I didn't realize we went to the same courting school

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    My hubris is the death of me

a week ago i was complaining to Beast how I haven't been able to take a legitimate sick day all year because I am germ teflon and immune to illness

now I am suffering from a cold relapse and my damn race is two days away and I'm SO MAD

:(

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    You guys, opinions

does this job seem doable and i'm just freaking out thinking it'll be too hard for no reason or should I begin to prepare to get fired:

Job Purpose: The GOW supports CIS Adjudications functions by providing clerical and administrative support in the processing of N-400 (Application for Naturalization) and I-485 (Application to Register as a Permanent Resident or Adjust Status).

General Office Workers provide support for the processing of other forms and applications used in the adjudication process.
    GOWs perform all clerical tasks related to preparing for and conducting Naturalization ceremonies, including the preparation and distribution of Naturalization certificates and the retrieval of documentation from applicants.
    GOWs contact applicants to schedule dates and times of interviews and naturalization ceremonies.
    They file copies of naturalization certificates and notices in the appropriate alien file.

U.S. Citizenship
    Should have at least one year’s work experience preferably in an administrative or customer service field. The GOW must be computer literate, be able to enter data at a reasonable rate, express or exchange ideas by the spoken word, and sit or stand for long periods of time. Must qualify for a USCIS security clearance.

Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment and relate well to others
    Strong commitment to performing and producing at the highest level of quality at all times
    Ability to manage individual workflow effectively and improve processes when necessary
    Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with coworkers both in written and verbal
    communications

Physical Requirements:
    While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; use fingers and hands to type or write; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The GOW must also be able to conduct repetitive body movements, push, reach, stoop and/ or bend and lift up to 45 pounds repetitively at times.
    Work Environment:

apply now

this is actually the job I start on the 6th. I was just hoping it seemed easy and would be a good first foray into office work.

Yes contractor. It's an important distinction. For now don't worry, as long as you don't muck about in govie office politics you will be fine.

What, you mean like gossip and shit? Am I supposed to worry when I get dragged into that?

don't be dragged into it. It doesn't matter how righteous and just the cause, if there is a problem, and a contractor is involved, you will be replaced because the government people can't be so easily.

I...kind of just plan to show up and work and maybe lightly chat with co-workers. When I interviewed the lady said the co-workers kind of just get along well and we work on the same floor as the government people.

I'm just hoping this job opens doors for me.

Though I'm mostly excited for a cubicle and to be able to sit down and know that my weekends are free.

Helping people become Americans is kind of a cherry on top.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

a week ago i was complaining to Beast how I haven't been able to take a legitimate sick day all year because I am germ teflon and immune to illness

now I am suffering from a cold relapse and my damn race is two days away and I'm SO MAD

tempting fate hakks

tempting fake

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

well at least in your case we already know it's not the master race so don't get too sad

(feel better)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I learned from Jay T. Doggzone
    Now to be clear, Jay T. Doggzone does not condone random flirtation with wanton babes, but rather careful consideration of which lovely honey gives your heart the bu-bumps. Cause it's all about the bu-bumps. Secondly you got to remember to be smooth, no bodacious babe belongs with a bumbling baby beau bereft of bravado.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

I've seen contractors get in the middle of some stupid shit before, and government workers are notorious gossips. When I worked at my previous position (Fed). A worker went to his boss and told him about his arrest. Got in his car drove 3 minutes across campus and security at the door was asking him about it.

Oh. So if someone starts talking shit just be like "Okay." and keep it to myself kind of thing?

• Options

I won't be able to meet you this Sunday. My plans of meeting you, going to the Puerto Rican festival and getting some nookie all got dashed by the evil hell that is retail.

Drink OJ and run like the wind~

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

Oh. So if someone starts talking shit just be like "Okay." and keep it to myself kind of thing?

Always carry two pens.
    One for writing
    One for stabbing coworkers.

Just don't get the two pens mixed up

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »
    I have drank some vodka

you are Irish, yes
    He's a piss poor Irishman. Where is the whiskey?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    be like me

I'm a gossip black hole

I love hearing about it but I never share it

I just

gather

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    making typos casual

making typos

this is why you dont half assedly post while eating dinner and watching TV

the quality suffers

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

I won't be able to meet you this Sunday. My plans of meeting you, going to the Puerto Rican festival and getting some nookie all got dashed by the evil hell that is retail.

but you're starting a new job in a week...
    call in sick, do your things, get SARS from SARS, and learn a lesson about faking sick days.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

i have a really hard time doing this because I am stupid and gregarious but the best thing you can do in any office setting is SHUT THE FUCK UP

For example, a horrible scenario: If someone is telling you why you're the worst person in the world and you fucked this up and you fucked that up and you have less moral integrity than a worm, SHUT THE FUCK UP

Don't AGREE with them, just say "I'm surprised to hear you say that. I'm sorry you were disappointed. Can I have some time to process?"

The second best thing you can do is immediately document that motherfucker in an email to yourself, all the details, and when you HAVE had time to process and figure out who you're going to go to about it, you can pull that baby out as proof that "I'm not making it up weeks after the fact, see this timestamp, I was very upset and needed some time to understand it but these are the facts"

• Options

nuuuu

I drank 2 bottles of gatorade

I have so much pee in me

• Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

i have a really hard time doing this because I am stupid and gregarious but the best thing you can do in any office setting is SHUT THE FUCK UP

For example, a horrible scenario: If someone is telling you why you're the worst person in the world and you fucked this up and you fucked that up and you have less moral integrity than a worm, SHUT THE FUCK UP

Don't AGREE with them, just say "I'm surprised to hear you say that. I'm sorry you were disappointed. Can I have some time to process?"

The second best thing you can do is immediately document that motherfucker in an email to yourself, all the details, and when you HAVE had time to process and figure out who you're going to go to about it, you can pull that baby out as proof that "I'm not making it up weeks after the fact, see this timestamp, I was very upset and needed some time to understand it but these are the facts"

Oh okay.

I guess option B is become mute/laconic

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

Oh okay.

Do your job. Dont start shit. If someone starts shit with you, disengage that part of your brain that takes it personally.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Mim, you just have to remember that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

• Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

don't be dragged into it. It doesn't matter how righteous and just the cause, if there is a problem, and a contractor is involved, you will be replaced because the government people can't be so easily.

I...kind of just plan to show up and work and maybe lightly chat with co-workers. When I interviewed the lady said the co-workers kind of just get along well and we work on the same floor as the government people.

Though I'm mostly excited for a cubicle and to be able to sit down and know that my weekends are free.

Good for you. Being a govt contractor opened doors for me. I hope it does the same for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

• Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

Oh okay.

Do your job. Dont start shit. If someone starts shit with you, disengage that part of your brain that takes it personally.

Okie dokie. o.o I'll do my best to do that.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Straw broke the camel's back with someone tonight. Threw a shitty plastic cup at him and it caught him bad and split open his eyebrow. Probs gonna lose everythig I've enjoyed for the last 6 months. :/

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Today's lesson on access control:

Duress Codes. It is possible to set up an access control system to require a badge and a PIN. If the user enters the duress code instead of the PIN then it will alert the burglar alarm* and lock the system down**. Given that duress codes are supposed to be used when their is a literal gun to your head, DO NOT USE THE DURESS CODE. That asshole is gonna shoot you.

*Some access control systems integrate with burg alarms. There are no guarantees here. Even if the duress code is set up.
    **This on the other hand has a 100% chance of happening.

• Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

Good for you. Being a govt contractor opened doors for me. I hope it does the same for you.

do you have any contractor tips to pass on? You can PM them or leave 'em here in [chat].

I want to work this job for at least a year while studying for my GRE so I can go get my Master's. I wanted some office work experience under my belt before tackling grad school.

• Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

Oh okay.

We aren't trying to scare you off from your exciting new job. It is just that sometimes shit happens, and contractors get burned. Keeping your head down, and keeping good records helps you make sure that is not you. Your coworkers are probably swell hard working people, just make sure you protect yourself.

• Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

Oh okay.

Okie dokie. o.o I'll do my best to do that.

You'll be fine. Even if the job sucks and the people suck and the pay sucks, you're building transferable skills. It's entry level. Get in, get paid, and if you aren't completely happy, get your resume out there after a year of work experience.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Duress Codes. It is possible to set up an access control system to require a badge and a PIN. If the user enters the duress code instead of the PIN then it will alert the burglar alarm* and lock the system down**. Given that duress codes are supposed to be used when their is a literal gun to your head, DO NOT USE THE DURESS CODE. That asshole is gonna shoot you.

*Some access control systems integrate with burg alarms. There are no guarantees here. Even if the duress code is set up.

Wouldn't one that opened the system but also sent an alarm be better? Because I can't imagine many people being willing to die for minimum wage + 50 cents an hour or something.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

Oh okay.

We aren't trying to scare you off from your exciting new job. It is just that sometimes shit happens, and contractors get burned. Keeping your head down, and keeping good records helps you make sure that is not you. Your coworkers are probably swell hard working people, just make sure you protect yourself.

Nah, I know you guys aren't trying to scare me. I DO tend to take things personally though, but not in a "WELL LET ME GET ARGUMENTATIVE" kind of way, but to go sit in a bathroom and cry and feel like a fuck up.

So I think that part I'll have a hard time on, but I plan to take notes when they train me and ask questions when I'm lost and just try to be nice.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I wish I could talk to my mom about things going on in my life without her losing her shit

sometimes I need to talk about important highly stressful decisions and have literally no outlet

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Dang bob. Like a water cooler sippy cup? You must have a wicked strong throw.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Wouldn't one that opened the system but also sent an alarm be better? Because I can't imagine many people being willing to die for minimum wage + 50 cents an hour or something.

Yes but then stuff could still be stolen. One of those is being prioritized over the other. Also it's been my general experience that people given a duress code are generally told it sets off the silent alarm. And they leave the bit about it locking down the system down.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    "General office worker" is a comically generic but often apt description for a lot of jobs.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

very much this. From being a contractor elsewhere (not govmt) I would add:

You must be able to accept with good grace that you are a 2nd class citizen (at best) at the workplace. This means being ok with being patronized, talked down to, mansplained (regardless of your gender) etc... every day. If you let on that this treatment bothers you then you are easy to replace.

You must be able to accept that workplace norms and acceptable behavior are different for you than non contractors doing the exact same job. Never assume that because someone else can do something that you can as well. Do not show any dissatisfaction with unfairness.

In general keep your head down and do your job. This can work to your advantage since with the above comes (usually) lower expectations and a certain immunity to office politics so long as you don't get involved.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I wish I could talk to my mom about things going on in my life without her losing her shit

sometimes I need to talk about important highly stressful decisions and have literally no outlet

*points to [chat]'s 21st Century Pre-Memorial Venting Couch*
    have a seat, bro.

• Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

do you have any contractor tips to pass on? You can PM them or leave 'em here in [chat].

I want to work this job for at least a year while studying for my GRE so I can go get my Master's. I wanted some office work experience under my belt before tackling grad school.
    Keep good records and update your resume immediately, not in a negative way, just that you will get asked to do a wide variety of things, so it is important that every time you do something new that you add it to your resume. You'll be surprised how quickly it fills out.

"Hey Jan while your free for a moment can you update this budget spreadsheet real quick?"
    "sure thing"

And it goes onto the resume as: managed budget and expenses for x project.

• Options
    Like if I wanted to do a duress code and not get my people killed, I would just tell them to hold the door open for like 45 seconds. That would trigger a door held alarm and not lead to the shooting bits.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I see.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Don't gossip, get everything in writing when possible (not only to CYA, but also to avoid misunderstandings)

Congratulations you're ready for almost any office job.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    You guys, opinions

U.S. Citizenship

communications

Physical Requirements:
    Work Environment:

apply now

very much this. From being a contractor elsewhere (not govmt) I would add:

You must be able to accept with good grace that you are a 2nd class citizen (at best) at the workplace. This means being ok with being patronized, talked down to, mansplained (regardless of your gender) etc... every day. If you let on that this treatment bothers you then you are easy to replace.

You must be able to accept that workplace norms and acceptable behavior are different for you than non contractors doing the exact same job. Never assume that because someone else can do something that you can as well. Do not show any dissatisfaction with unfairness.

In general keep your head down and do your job. This can work to your advantage since with the above comes (usually) lower expectations and a certain immunity to office politics so long as you don't get involved.

Here the contractors get the same color badges as the janitors and cafeteria workers.

• Options
    Like if I wanted to do a duress code and not get my people killed, I would just tell them to hold the door open for like 45 seconds. That would trigger a door held alarm and not lead to the shooting bits.
    I would be suspicious of anyone just holding open the door for 45 seconds, just chilling, not going inside or anything.

This discussion has been closed.