As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking [Chat] to the [Chat]less Until Death: Judge Minty

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Last place I worked with duress codes had separate duress codes for the alarm and the safe

Either code would trigger the silent alarm (which was the only alarm) and disable the safe, which was on a time lock anyway, so it would do its usual half hour countdown as if preparing to open but never actually open.

In theory, of course, by the time it becomes obvious that the safe isn't opening, help has arrived.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Like if I wanted to do a duress code and not get my people killed, I would just tell them to hold the door open for like 45 seconds. That would trigger a door held alarm and not lead to the shooting bits.
    I would be suspicious of anyone just holding open the door for 45 seconds, just chilling, not going inside or anything.

Still easier to explain then why the doors aren't opening at all.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Don't gossip, get everything in writing when possible (not only to CYA, but also to avoid misunderstandings)

Congratulations you're ready for almost any office job.

so contracts or disagreements or insults in writing? Anything else in writing?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Don't gossip, get everything in writing when possible (not only to CYA, but also to avoid misunderstandings)

Job descriptions.

Wage agreements.

Time-off protocols.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Everything in writing. Paperwork covers your butt whenever the blame-game starts when something goes wrong.

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I wish I could talk to my mom about things going on in my life without her losing her shit

sometimes I need to talk about important highly stressful decisions and have literally no outlet

*points to [chat]'s 21st Century Pre-Memorial Venting Couch*
    have a seat, bro.

okay here goes

my lease was going to run out Oct 1, I wasn't going to sign it because I'm unemployed, I have a few grand in the bank but who knows how long that will last so I was just going to move in with my mom once the landlord got tired of us being month to month

but my roomate got told my the state they were going to pay all but $200/month of his rent since he's disabled, he told them I lived here too and they're like, oh np

so anyway I sign the new lease, and he sends it to the state

turns out that they actually do care that there are two tenantsand he doesn't qualify if someone else is on the lease, they don't care if someone lives with him, but he needs to be the sole tenant on the lease

can't get landlord to change the lease to have just him on it, landlord thinks it would be committing fraud, landlord won't change it, thinks we're trying to use him to scam the state, landlord won't let us break lease entirely and move out

override367 on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    you'll do just fine mim, don't let these suspicious olds get you all worked up

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Last place I worked with duress codes had separate duress codes for the alarm and the safe

Either code would trigger the silent alarm (which was the only alarm) and disable the safe, which was on a time lock anyway, so it would do its usual half hour countdown as if preparing to open but never actually open.

In theory, of course, by the time it becomes obvious that the safe isn't opening, help has arrived.

disables the safe?
    Fuck that.
    If the duress code doesn't also open the safe before people get nervous, I wouldn't use it. If that makes me an accomplace, Im switching sides and telling them everything. #YOLOSWAG2014, don't take those bags, guys, they have the dye packs in!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Everything in writing. Paperwork covers your butt whenever the blame-game starts when something goes wrong.

Its because its impossible to lie when you write it down

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Job descriptions.

Wage agreements.

Time-off protocols.

oh, well i saved the offer letter and i posted the job description here so i'll just save a copy on my hard drive~

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I wish I could talk to my mom about things going on in my life without her losing her shit

sometimes I need to talk about important highly stressful decisions and have literally no outlet

have a seat, bro.

okay here goes

my lease was going to run out Oct 1, I wasn't going to sign it because I'm unemployed, I have a few grand in the bank but who knows how long that will last so I was just going to move in with my mom once the landlord got tired of us being month to month

but my roomate got told my the state they were going to pay all but $200/month of his rent since he's disabled, he told them I lived here too and they're like, oh np

turns out that they actually do care that there are two tenantsand he doesn't qualify if someone else is on the lease, they don't care if someone lives with him, but he needs to be the sole tenant on the lease

can't get landlord to change the lease to have just him on it, landlord thinks it would be committing fraud, landlord won't change it, thinks we're trying to use him to scam the state, landlord won't let us break lease entirely and move out

motherfucker. can you sublet?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

disables the safe?
    Fuck that.
    If the duress code doesn't also open the safe before people get nervous, I wouldn't use it. If that makes me an accomplace, Im switching sides and telling them everything. #YOLOSWAG2014, don't take those bags, guys, they have the dye packs in!

I'd personally want it to stick a needle in the hand entering the code with an antidote and then emit a flashbang followed by knockout gas

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options

I just worry about getting fired.

And having medical insurance. Mim needs the birth control so she can get the d.

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    I'd personally want it to stick a needle in the hand entering the code with an antidote and then emit a flashbang followed by knockout gas

yesss

got a dr appointment on thurs afternoon but run out of sick time? flashbang, motherfuckers

• Options

have a seat, bro.

okay here goes

lease forbids subletting and the landlord has made it pretty clear that he will put zero effort in trying to rerent it if we break the lease, he's moving to arizona in like 2 months

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Job descriptions.

Wage agreements.

Time-off protocols.

oh, well i saved the offer letter and i posted the job description here so i'll just save a copy on my hard drive~

Get your hard drive in writing. Hardcopy every 0 and 1.

sig.gif
  • Options

you won't get fired, just do your best : )

• Options
    edited September 2014
    PantsB wrote: »

disables the safe?
    Fuck that.

give them those gold ignots that turn into murder spiders that kill everyone on their spacesh...

...nvm, that was a farscape episode. those arent real.

Deebaser on
  • Options

have a seat, bro.

okay here goes

lease forbids subletting and the landlord has made it pretty clear that he will put zero effort in trying to rerent it if we break the lease, he's moving to arizona in like 2 months

what a piece of shit.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

Job descriptions.

Wage agreements.

Time-off protocols.

Get your hard drive in writing. Hardcopy every 0 and 1.

*slap*

• Options

you won't get fired, just do your best : )

I WILL DO MY BEST

And take copious amounts of notes.

Also, I plan to get my septum pierced soon because it's so easy to hide. My first thoughts were "Man I gotta tell skippy and @DemonStacey‌ "

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Nah you'll be fine.

Oh shit I forgot one thing. Find out the length of the contract. This is important. Some contracts if they run out the govt sometimes doesn't renew them, or goes with someone else, so when you are 4 or 5 months away from re-compete, try to find another job, or figure out who is competing for the contract call them up and send them your resume, that way no matter who wins you have a contingency offer. ;)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    im printing out the state definitions for " live in caregiver" my nephew is disabled and if I don't live here, somebody would have to come by a few days a week to help him out

according to the definitions I would qualify

he's going to show the landlord and tell him either it's just him on the lease or he's going to move out

which leaves me in a bind and a huge year long rent lease, the landlord can't go after him for rent because he's on disability but he could go after me till the end of time

my nephew believes that when given the option of getting the entire lease worth of rent paid by the state immediately or not getting anything and having to go after an unemployed college student that he'll pick the former

this has me incredibly nervous

override367 on
  • Options
    Maybe put the apartment up on craigslist anyway? See if people want to check it out this weekend and broker a deal with the slumlord.

• Options
    I need to learn how to not take things personally, learn when to shut up (I'm too honest) and be more clear and concise.

oof.

ALSO, I need to work on having a commanding and convincing voice. Tired of people questioning me when I need their ID.

• Options

you aren't talking about me, are ya skoopy?

• Options
    Also, I plan to get my septum pierced soon because it's so easy to hide. My first thoughts were "Man I gotta tell skippy and @DemonStacey‌ "

!

haha I am gonna pull a douchey chat thing and say that septum is like the only piercing I do not like

I do not think it is cute it looks like boogers oh god

you should get a tiny sparkly stud in your nostril instead!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

disables the safe?
    Fuck that.

Whatever happens the time lock means the safe isn't opening for half an hour regardless

I kind of think that an armed robber is likely to get twitchy long before that

Especially because it wasn't the kind of place you could realistically hold the staff under threat of violence for very long without it becoming apparent

• Options
    *toys with ear guages sadly*

• Options

Nah you'll be fine.

Oh shit I forgot one thing. Find out the length of the contract. This is important. Some contracts if they run out the govt sometimes doesn't renew them, or goes with someone else, so when you are 4 or 5 months away from re-compete, try to find another job, or figure out who is competing for the contract call them up and send them your resume, that way no matter who wins you have a contingency offer. ;)

Well, I don't know if it's that kind of contract? I was just told it was permanent full-time. Originally this was a temporary position for 3 months but then it became permanent.

THESE THINGS END?! I just figured because it was immigration it just kept going and going and going..

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

Depends on the job, but the more the better.

Not just big issues (contracts, wages), everyday issues in writing can be very helpful. Its very easy to hear something incorrectly (and also very easy to say something ineptly), misunderstandings in verbal communication are very easy and since there's no record there's no real way to verify anything. This isn't even necessarily a reflection of bad faith or ineptitude, simple phrases like "report" or "client" or "the deadline" or "soon" can easily communicate two completely different things to each person in a conversation.

This will vary by job and office. Sometimes you can do almost everything by e-mail, sometimes you'll be the only person in an entire office who really does any work on a PC. When possible, keep a written record because it is safer and more accurate.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

!

haha I am gonna pull a douchey chat thing and say that septum is like the only piercing I do not like

ew no.

septum all the way. It's more just to know it's there than to show it off.

confidence thing like "Look at the kind of risk you took! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING"

• Options

you aren't talking about me, are ya skoopy?

yes! all of you suspicious olds!

I on the other hand am a carefree and trusting old

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Mim, I actually know about that particular job field because of related stuff

the qualifications are easy to meet in theory - you have to be patient, persistent, and a bit of an organizer because immigrants might give you some shoddy documentation and speak english poorly, which is a hell of a combo to try and work through

also the database's GUI might be shit so be comfortable with menus and shit

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    welp, i have purchased a GPS watch

guess i gotta keeping doing this running thing

what have i become

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

!

ew no.

we beefin

00g piercing needles at dawn

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    double zero gauged my balls just to feel alive

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Nah you'll be fine.

Well, I don't know if it's that kind of contract? I was just told it was permanent full-time. Originally this was a temporary position for 3 months but then it became permanent.

THESE THINGS END?! I just figured because it was immigration it just kept going and going and going..
    Yes government contracts are periodically re-competed. Per FAR the longest a service contract can go is 5 years. If you message me more details I can try to look it up and see how many options are left on the contract, usually the incumbent wins the contract, and there are all sorts of special set asides and such that make things easier.

• Options

!

ew no.

oh, for the love of pete.
    jesus take the wheel.

/facepalm

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Mim, I actually know about that particular job field because of related stuff

the qualifications are easy to meet in theory - you have to be patient, persistent, and a bit of an organizer because immigrants might give you some shoddy documentation and speak english poorly, which is a hell of a combo to try and work through

also the database's GUI might be shit so be comfortable with menus and shit

I'm cool with menus as long as they're clear.

I'm assuming they'll tell me how to distinguish shoddy docs from non-shoddy docs

This discussion has been closed.